The Official Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

7 minutes ago, Leafbaron said:

Had a hiccup during stage 2, Hit a seam or something, truck went about 100 meters in the air straight up and Bill fell into the core of the planet. Please advise. 

Drive around seams ? :lol:

4 minutes ago, Leafbaron said:

Will avoid in the future. Truck was completely wrecked after falling face first from 100m fall. I guess ill have to restart from stage 1?

Yep. It's hard dude, I know.

If you need a shoulder to cry on I am here. :lol:

@Triop I had a thought, to possibly make your life easier as picking out all the times from the forum thread looks like it may be a bit of a headache. I've setup a google spreadsheet that anyone with the link can edit and was thinking that we could all just enter our times into it. We should still add our times and screenshots to the results thread as before, but if we also put our times into the spreadsheet they'll all be in a uniform format.  It is open to edit by anyone with the link to it, but with this community that's probably not an issue. You don't need a google account to access it, but if you are signed in with google then you can set a protected range on your times so no one else can accidentally delete/change them.

Anyway this is just a thought, totally up to Triop if he wants to use it. Here's the link to it

Congrats @Triop on the TOTM,  proves it was a damn fine, if troublesome. idea :) well done old chap

And as I'm not sure whats kosher and not to post here below spoliered shots of the two vehicles I've entered so far , 1 which has already completed the challenge and the other that is currently attempting a much faster time

Spoiler

1hr 1min 7secs turned out to be below expectations, quite heavy, quite complicated but more fragile than it is fast, even though it will do 130 plus it doesn't like little bumps at all.

VH08BWf.png?1

The much lighter new version pretty much everything there is can be seen, not many parts not much weight and a new set of wheels

aBgd41b.png

A little bit of drama from the opening stage of the real Dakar, the stage winner  Nasser Al-Attiyah leading by 24 seconds had an under bonnet/hood oil fire as he crossed the line, although not fatal to the car  damage was such that it required towing to service. 

And all the while, around the  KSC mountain rovers are being battered and bashed,  losing parts and pushed past their limits , second run looking promising :)

5 hours ago, vhgomes said:

Planning on doing this. But due to a terrible internet I still haven't gotten around to 1.22. Is the savegame usable in 1.13?

The save game should be usable. The only things in it are the checkpoint flags and you'll have to edit the game version inside it for your older KSP to acknowledge it.

26 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

HOW am I just seeing this now!?! OMGWTFBBQ!!

off to build a racer...

OMGWTFBBQ!! HOW are you just seeing this now!?!

ARE YOU BLIND ???

Hurry up !

:lol:

Edited by Triop

Got a car mostly built, but I can't find the full rules anywhere... Am I allowed to tweak .cfg files? Torque curves and such insanity? I know the stuff like unbreakable joints and unlimited fuel HAVE to be against the rules... I wouldn't use those even if it were legal... but what else is against the rules?

I read that no jets while flying, no flying in general, veh must be manned... but thats about all I can find.

12 minutes ago, TheKurgan said:

Got a car mostly built, but I can't find the full rules anywhere... Am I allowed to tweak .cfg files? Torque curves and such insanity? I know the stuff like unbreakable joints and unlimited fuel HAVE to be against the rules... I wouldn't use those even if it were legal... but what else is against the rules?

I read that no jets while flying, no flying in general, veh must be manned... but thats about all I can find.

Alot of the rules discussion happened on a thread that is now closed since the rally began. Here's a link:

2 hours ago, TheKurgan said:

Am I allowed to tweak .cfg files?

Yes, why ? because I feel in the real dakar they also tweak standard engines.

+ I allow mods, most mod parts can be considered tweaked.

It's all about personal experience here.

8 hours ago, vhgomes said:

Planning on doing this. But due to a terrible internet I still haven't gotten around to 1.22. Is the savegame usable in 1.13?

Sorry I mist your post dude, hectic here...

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, I have no idea about 1.13, have you tried ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.