The Official Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

59 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

um... okay why is Imgur mad at me now?

The gif turned into a video and i have no idea how to fix it

Wrong thread to ask dude...<_<

Back on topic:

I'm thinking of chanching the rules for next year. (I know, still far, far away)

I see cars going 430 KPH, I know this is KERBAL Dakar, but I'm thinking of a restriction for the cars to have a top speed of 60 m/s = 216 KPH, just to keep the spirit of Dakar.

What do you think ?

EDIT: I didn't think this through, jet engines... Forgot about them. <_<

Edited by Triop

1 hour ago, Triop said:

Wrong thread to ask dude...<_<

Back on topic:

I'm thinking of chanching the rules for next year. (I know, still far, far away)

I see cars going 430 KPH, I know this is KERBAL Dakar, but I'm thinking of a restriction for the cars to have a top speed of 60 m/s = 216 KPH, just to keep the spirit of Dakar.

What do you think ?

EDIT: I didn't think this through, jet engines... Forgot about them. <_<

With a max speed of 60 ... I think with my cars I would place a brick on the pedal and take a nap for some parts of the route. Boooooriiiiiiing :P

8 minutes ago, Azimech said:

With a max speed of 60 ... I think with my cars I would place a brick on the pedal and take a nap for some parts of the route. Boooooriiiiiiing :P

Yes, I'm starting to catch on...After my first complete stock run of more than 2 hours going 30 m/s I'm now going 60 m/s modified and tweaked. Lot's more fun.

For me it's just about simulating the feeling of driving a real Dakar, and believe me they have boring drives, so some endurance comes along, also mentaly, I will stop using comma's now. realy.

p.s. most of my crashes happen on the boring straights. ^_^

Edited by Triop

Since I completed the race with a solar powered car, I started building a new rover, this time jet-powered. And after countless explosions, broken tires and other RUDs, I wondered: Are people using the "No Crash Damage" cheat? And are we allowed to use that cheat? I just can't manage to keep the car in one piece going at speeds between let's say 80-120 m/s. 

(Note, I don't think I want to use that cheat - but if people do, that should most definitely be a separate category for the results, because it gives huge advantages). 

Operative word here: "Cheat." Using it would be cheating. Against the spirit of the Dakar. Things are supposed to break if you don't treat them right. Sometimes even if you do. And sometimes, because not even a simulation can resist poking fun, things don't break when they damn well should. Disallowing those possibilities is like ripping aerodynamics out of KSP.

All this talk of 80m/s is making me want to strap more jets on the Thingamaflop. As it is, the four it has push it up to a little over 70 on rolling hills. Sometimes as much as 110 when in "falling and touching the ground" mode, but that situation doesn't arise often. I could probably better my time as-is, but the allure of "moar boostahs" is too much.

6 hours ago, Magzimum said:

Since I completed the race with a solar powered car, I started building a new rover, this time jet-powered. And after countless explosions, broken tires and other RUDs, I wondered: Are people using the "No Crash Damage" cheat? And are we allowed to use that cheat? I just can't manage to keep the car in one piece going at speeds between let's say 80-120 m/s. 

(Note, I don't think I want to use that cheat - but if people do, that should most definitely be a separate category for the results, because it gives huge advantages). 

With the right suspension setup those speeds are possible. Personally my car has a max speed of 70m/s 

11 hours ago, Magzimum said:

If you use the cheat that would mean you would be cheating, no?

I haven't used any cheats and have managed well over 140m/s with the Bill's Big Bad Beaver in the early design phase ... I have backed off the top speed a bit by adding some weight and aero parts and can easily top over 120m/s regularly now

Choose your path wisely is all I can say ... oh, and don't be a speed demon through stages 2 and 3 as you'll have a tendency to RUD if you're not careful

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 hour ago, Krog34 said:

Was totally going to enter this Race (because I love custom designs and challenges) but the lack of definitive rules dissuaded me. Maybe next year?

Huh? Rules as I interpret them:
1. No "flying." Flying defined as powered flight for longer than about a second.
2. No redoing stages. If you crash out, you start from scratch.
3. No replacing rovers. If something fixable breaks, fix it. But the bulk of the rover that started shall finish, not an entirely new machine.
4. Refueling between stages is fine, and is not counted in the race time.
5. You need two screenshots for each stage: When you start, and when you finish. See 6. for details on screenshots.
6. Screenshots shall be made at a standstill, within the immediate vicinity of the flag, with the UI (particularly the timer, MET or UT) enabled.
7. Your rover must carry a kerbal. Evidently, stuffing your kerbal in a box is just as good as sitting him in a command chair.

You can take any route between the start and finish of each stage, so long as you obey standard laws of spacetime. "Route Maps" are suggestions and suggestions only.
If you want to use jets, the Junos satisfy rule 1. easily. Use Azimech's boost-flap technology or cut off the air to instantaneously zero thrust. This is as good as throttling to zero, only without the throttle lag.

14 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Huh? Rules as I interpret them:

Sorry, I mean, I'd like much more specific rules (and or classes perhaps? Similar to the real Dakar racing). I know Kerbal sort of allows a lot more options than real life (so I suppose the classifying of vehicles could become hard due to diversity in KSP) but for me personally, I would be discouraged if I spent a lot of time creating a quick-working-aesthetically pleasing vehicle that fell into the listed rules for this challenge, only to be beaten by someone who has discovered a totally legal, albeit glitchy-kraken sorcery, method.  :sticktongue: but maybe its just me :)

All that being said, I love this challenge. I will continue to follow it and scheme up ideas for 2018!

Edited by Krog34
spelling

29 minutes ago, Krog34 said:

I mean, I'd like much more specific rules (and or classes perhaps

Hi there are classes, for stock ec propulsion, stock ec jet , and modded,  the more rules you have the more people are inclined to break them.  

So far it's been a stand up fight I reckon, some are more competitive than others, there are speed merchants who want to go as fast as possible  and there are explorers who just want to complete the course. The terrain acts as a great leveler and through it all I've only seen one set of times that look odd, especially to someone who has run the course several times.

As for kraken tech etc etc and all those other excuses for not entering  it's a simple fact that as long as MM is a thing you can only take someones word on how stock or normal their vehicle/entry is.        One invisible patch can transform most parts into something decidedly non stock while remaining to outside appearances to be absolutely stock.  This goes for any similar challenge which relies on players submitting time and screenies after running the challenge locally    

So while it may not be the most purist appeasing challenge ever its is one that has been accessible to almost anyone stock or mod user  (apologies to RSS players :)  ) who loves a bit of rover sport,   the same cannot be said of a lot of the challenges out there

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

4 hours ago, Jeb federation said:

Is this challenge still accepting entries, because I've built a stock vehicle

Yes it is. Entries are allowed untill the end of the month.

Nice design (similar style to my original design). I would suggest replacing the monopropellant engines with Juno's for better endurance. That self righting mechanism will be very useful from my experience

6 hours ago, Jeb federation said:

Is this challenge still accepting entries, because I've built a stock vehicle

Hi nice looking truck though you may want to get some of that weight off the roof,  it'd be better to never need the self righter than be using it all the time :)  Good luck with your runs

3 minutes ago, Jeb federation said:

Thanks! Is this where I enter my vehicle or is there another thread?

The thread linked is for vehicle discussions and showcase 

And the one below is for your times and stuff

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.