The Official Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

55 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

I'm making a video for this. Do I have to stop at every single checkpoint, or just when I need to refuel?

Stop at every checkpoint provide shot  of vehicle at zero ms with brakes on ,next to the flag

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Run 2 just finished and officially my limit on an unmarked route 00:42:12.    The race team will now take a break and spend some time at sea on sea trials, likely to be very uneventful  :)

1 hour ago, BlackHoleSun said:

Wow just completed the rally. It took 3 trys so I got a mess of screens to figure out.

By the way can I enter a second time with my rail buggy?

Rally%20Rails_zpsktiimexf.png

Yes, but just to keep in the spirit of Dakar put in a other Kerbal. ^_^

If more people are entering multiple runs I will put up a team categorie.

Sounds fun.

Edited by Triop

Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

You need to be stopped at the flag for a stage to be complete, and  provide a screenshot to prove location time and speed of 0ms

Stopped, I understand. But how close? 20 meters? 10 meters? 5 meters? That's my question.

2 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Stopped, I understand. But how close? 20 meters? 10 meters? 5 meters? That's my question.

3 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

stopped at the flag for a stage to be complete

fairly self explanatory :)

Several illustrated example can be found in the results tread

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

Since Spanner seems to be misunderstanding the question, here's my answer: If the flag's flag flags in its flagging, you're close enough. That's 150m. I like to be within about 50, myself. Makes the pictures easier.

Edited by 0111narwhalz

Alright @0111narwhalz, thanks.

@Magzimum - I observed the same thing as you; I was attempting to begin the challenge in 1.2.1 and after changing the persistence.sfs to the correct version, I fired up the game, and found a save with no flags. Something else is going on here, looks like: I double-checked for the flags from a fresh download and found them (search for "rTrf = flag (Stage 5)" in a fresh download). After firing up the game with this exact same persistence file and finding no flags, I re-opened the persistence file. Flags had vanished...

Quick solution looks like an upgrade to 1.2.2, though it would be nice to know what's causing the observed behavior.

EDIT: Went ahead and planted a flag of my own and saved the file, and then compared that flag VESSEL component to one from the fresh download. Only difference I could spot was a reference to a VESSELMODULES entry for something called "FlightIntegrator"

Edited by capi3101

21 minutes ago, capi3101 said:

Alright @0111narwhalz, thanks.

@Magzimum - I observed the same thing as you; I was attempting to begin the challenge in 1.2.1 and after changing the persistence.sfs to the correct version, I fired up the game, and found a save with no flags. Something else is going on here, looks like: I double-checked for the flags from a fresh download and found them (search for "rTrf = flag (Stage 5)" in a fresh download). After firing up the game with this exact same persistence file and finding no flags, I re-opened the persistence file. Flags had vanished...

Quick solution looks like an upgrade to 1.2.2, though it would be nice to know what's causing the observed behavior.

EDIT: Went ahead and planted a flag of my own and saved the file, and then compared that flag VESSEL component to one from the fresh download. Only difference I could spot was a reference to a VESSELMODULES entry for something called "FlightIntegrator"

I also upgraded to 1.2.2, and now it works fine. 

Also it appeared that the time was different in 1.2.1 (I believe it was set to t=0, so Y1, 0h, 0m, not day 7 as in the Dakar file). I only noticed it because the sunlight was different - the Dakar was twilight or even dark when I opened it in 1.2.2, while the sun was high overhead when I opened it in 1.2.1. I did notice that the flags were present in the persistent file as I downloaded it, and vanished as soon as I had opened it. 

I did not dig deeper than that, because I started building a rover after I upgraded. I guess I am not much of a bug hunter.

I think I'll also upgrade to 1.2.2; I might still play with the persistence file to see if I can figure out what exactly is different before and after loading. So far, I've come across a versionFull line that's different, a versionCreated line that's different, and a whole StatsGameSettings block that appears after loading. I still haven't tracked down the problem yet but I feel I am making headway at least. 

Going to be using my tried and trusted Hellhound 7 rover for my run. I was going to build a new car, but in pre-race trials earlier today the 'hound fared better. Call it an "antique" entry.

19 minutes ago, 0111narwhalz said:

"What's that sound?"
"Oh, that's just the jet engines and wheels in a weird resonance."
"Huh. If I didn't know better, I'd think it was screaming."
ar1YSGm.png

(later)

"WHY IS THERE A FOOT STICKING OUT?!"
"Uhm..."
TYOsIH3.png

#StoryOfMyKerbalLife

We choose to go to the Moon complete the Kerbal Dakar 2017 Rally with a 35-ton rover built around an orange tank not because it is easy, but because it is hard ridiculous...

Ae3gp8j.png

Actually completed three stages so far with this thing.  I'll make a properly documented post in the entry thread when I'm done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.