The Official Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

28 minutes ago, Jeb federation said:

Thanks! Is this where I enter my vehicle or is there another thread?

You only have to post in the results thread, but if you want any advice, or want to show of your work, the entry vehicle thread is the place. I can furthermore also recommend to write your times in this spreadsheet by Katateochi as most of us have done.:D

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J0imIo-bJvBND5j-CoZRoQfFwkh68an5-_aG3sqfCxI/edit#gid=0

2 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Actually the reason that you can save between stages is because not everyone doing the challenge is able to sit through and complete all the stages in one go ... let alone that the original idea started out as a new stage each week which would require you to be able to save between stages

For instance, I have stuff to do and I also have issues with my hands (among other things) which prevents me from being able to sit and complete the whole race in one go

The discussion was getting long so i have just moved it to this thread so we can keep the other one for the results.

But why would you need saving for that? For jumping or things like that when loading?
And the race only takes like 1-2 hours so most people can find time for that, if you can't you will have to do it after everyone has gone to bed:P. The finger-problem is hard to do anything about, since amputations and prosthetic hands are expensive and time-consuming.

6 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

The discussion was getting long so i have just moved it to this thread so we can keep the other one for the results.

But why would you need saving for that? For jumping or things like that when loading?
And the race only takes like 1-2 hours so most people can find time for that, if you can't you will have to do it after everyone has gone to bed:P. The finger-problem is hard to do anything about, since amputations and prosthetic hands are expensive and time-consuming.

You do realize that there are many people on this forum who are disabled and have medical issues, no?

I think your treading into an area that is not appropriate with your jest ... Try spending a couple years in an electric wheel chair, learning to walk again and manage to get control of your body back after being buried by an excavator

There are many others on here with issues such as mine so making a joke out of it is in bad form

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Just now, DoctorDavinci said:

You do realize that there are many people on this forum who are disabled and have medical issues, no?

I think your treading into an area that is not appropriate with your jest ... Try spending a couple years in an electric wheel chair, learning to walk again and manage to get control of your body back after being buried by an excavator

woah! woah! woah! it was not meant to offend anyone man. It was just a witty touch to my question, i was not making fun of people, and if you recover after a horrible accident, you have all my respect.

6 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

I really have no clue as to why when you've already completed one attempt that you are so concerned about the rules, could it be perhaps to distract from the improbably fast stage 2 time you posted, how you could do stage 2 faster than stage 1 eludes me and likely everybody else.   Your opinions are obviously those of someone with little life experience  or you wouldn't be making so light of others difficulties  (feel free to report etc don give a ....)

9 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I really have no clue as to why when you've already completed one attempt that you are so concerned about the rules, could it be perhaps to distract from the improbably fast stage 2 time you posted, how you could do stage 2 faster than stage 1 eludes me and likely everybody else.   Your opinions are obviously those of someone with little life experience  or you wouldn't be making so light of others difficulties  (feel free to report etc don give a ....)

Oh seems like i have offended everyone:(.
I live by the motto: "One have first given up, when one cannot joke about it". 
But do not accuse me of cheating, i was five seconds faster in stage 2 than stage 1, that could might as well have been me just being slow at taking the picture. The Kerbinator has four big a** wheels with a crash speed of 250/ms so the only way i could loose one, was if the structural beam had hit the ground and got ruined(and it did a lot if times, so i did a lot if runs). Furthermore it had 3 junos so it could keep an average spee dof around 80m/s throughout the whole race.
Why would i report you? you where just telling me your opinion, and i can defend myself from your accusations in other ways than reporting.

No hard feelings, and have a good day

Edit: btw BlackHoleSun also did his stage 2 A LOT faster than his stage 1, so its all about the car and the route you take.

Edited by Flamingo

This would be a lot easier if I was willing to go slower :v

36DFF66B9D59449F27DF8C5C028B12F180320A1E

6C175ED939670DD3B7C897136E960C39DD92DBDF

6FD39BDC8CD18CFA67C72D6885446FC1A2880F3E

Those extra 9 seconds over 6min annoy me. It's purely because I screwed up my braking and overshot, so I had to circle back. :(

Edited by foamyesque

11 minutes ago, Triop said:

Why ?

Obviously somebody didn't appreciate your challenge or the some of  the competitors irreverent / ambivalent attitude to the actual Dakar. Regardless of one bitter you tubers opinion I  really enjoyed  building and testing a dozen cars or more and running my attempts  , It got me back into making wheels after all.  .and more importantly it's been a long time since I actually played and enjoyed  KSP as a game and not just a modding workbench

Ultimately the results of the challenge are irrelevant to me as i've already had my fun and know that this old man cannot drive any  faster, well i can, it's just not survivable :D

4 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Obviously somebody didn't appreciate your challenge or the some of  the competitors irreverent / ambivalent attitude to the actual Dakar. Regardless of one bitter you tubers opinion I  really enjoyed  building and testing a dozen cars or more and running my attempts  , It got me back into making wheels after all.  .and more importantly it's been a long time since I actually played and enjoyed  KSP as a game and not just a modding workbench

Ultimately the results of the challenge are irrelevant to me as i've already had my fun and know that this old man cannot drive any  faster, well i can, it's just not survivable :D

It just annoys me that he thinks I started this hype just for the attention.

I'm Dutch and a Dakar fan for years, lots of Dutch people are riding the Dakar, so to me it was obvious to start the thread in december...

"Ultimately the results of the challenge are irrelevant to me as i've already had my fun"

I could not have said it better, I've been building/driving for 4 weeks now, I had my fun, time to move on...I hear there is a dragrace coming. &)

39 minutes ago, Triop said:

Well, haters gonna hate....

5:30

Why ? :/

Thats kinda like hating on people doing a Schiaparelli like mission but not crashing their lander. Just weird, and it seems like he is mad that he was not the one who did the challenge. And why would you not do it at the same time as the real Dakar?
In my head, most of what he says does not make a lot of sense. Only thing i can see is that the rules are kind of blurry, but there is nothing other then that.
GREAT CHALLENGE!

Hey guys! Don't get down about this whole thing! The YouTuber's obviously just not as into the challenge as you and I are. Just because 1 person doesn't like the challenge, there's still a ton more who LOVE it! (Myself included)

2 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

Thats kinda like hating on people doing a Schiaparelli like mission but not crashing their lander. Just weird, and it seems like he is mad that he was not the one who did the challenge. And why would you not do it at the same time as the real Dakar?
In my head, most of what he says does not make a lot of sense. Only thing i can see is that the rules are kind of blurry, but there is nothing other then that.
GREAT CHALLENGE!

He also said the course was flat and boring, sounds like he never made it to stage 2. :lol:

3 minutes ago, DarkOwl57 said:

Hey guys! Don't get down about this whole thing! The YouTuber's obviously just not as into the challenge as you and I are. Just because 1 person doesn't like the challenge, there's still a ton more who LOVE it! (Myself included)

Thanks dude, I also feel like I made a lot of friends while hosting this challenge, so no reason for me to get down. ^_^

7 minutes ago, Triop said:

no reason for me to get down. ^_^

None whatsoever ... this has been one of the best challenges in a long time and has inspired many to play the game again

16 minutes ago, Flamingo said:

it seems like he is mad that he was not the one who did the challenge

I think the same

1 hour ago, Triop said:

That was really weird

Its a great challenge and what got me back into KSP again

Now back to the race (just finished stage 5 with my car and support truck so will have two times by tomorrow)

This challenge and the one about building the smallest spaceplane are so much fun. I totally get it when someone said they didn't care about the times. I built 2 cars that could finish, neither went over 42m/s under their own power, none used any kind of fuel and none completed the course in under an hour.

Both builds were a complete blast with their own idiosyncrasies and challenges. I learned a ton on this challenge and had a ball blowing up cars and careening down cliff faces in the dark shadow of the mountain.

I have over 1200 hours in the game. This is some of the most fun I have had with it. Thank you guys for inventing it. Let the haters go play minecraft. :)

Now, on to boats! :)

3 hours ago, Triop said:

Well, haters gonna hate....

5:30

Let him go, let him go! He doesn't love kerbals anymooore.

Let him go, let him go! He turned away and slammed the door.

Edited by Enceos

15 hours ago, Triop said:

I watched the whole thing.  It was actually fairly coherent - he's going through some RL stuff, and the game isn't very fun for him with all the post 0.90 changes.  Listen starting at 7:10, including the epiphany starting at 7:45 and some fairly insightful introspection starting at 8:30, culminating in a decision at 11:00.

@Triop, can you please clarify some of the rules? (And if an update is needed on the opening post of the thread, please do that ASAP)?

Some people are speaking in your name, others are making suggestions about the rules, and someone even disqualified my entry on your behalf. But usually on the forum only one person is in charge of a challenge...

To give a short overview of what I picked up in the thread:

• You can use a mod with parts with a crash tolerance up to 250 m/s (that's nearly Mach 1).
  • You cannot use the cheat that makes stuff indestructible (which in my opinion is the same as a crash tolerance of 250 m/s).
  • You cannot reload, because that would break the spirit of the Dakar. (But using mods that have nearly indestructible stuff does not).
  • None of this is mentioned in the opening post of the challenge.

To be disqualified by someone who isn't even the organizer has confused me... especially since it was on a rule that I (still) cannot find in the opening post of any of the Dakar threads, which is where normally the rules are listed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.