[1.3.X] [Kopernicus] Cerillion

The White Guardian

@Disparia Books watching your recentmost stream right now (I planned on watching it live but it started at midnight where I live...). You misunderstood a thing about procedural generation: the planet is generated by the computer on the go, no maps have to be loaded. All 'PQSMods' responsible for altering the terrain however have a value for the 'seed'. This value randomizes the placement of the noise.

It's simliar to Minecraft's world generation algorithm - when creating a world you can enter a specific generation seed. Using the same seed results in the exact same world.

For KSP planets this is the same. Entering the same PQSMod on different planets with the same seed results in the same noise generation.

So if I would transfer Cerillion's mod, VertexPlanet, to the Mun for example, it'll look similar. Not identical because the Mun has Noisemods as well that will be applied on top.

A planet that's different for everyone though... that's an interesting concept. It'll probably require a custom DLL to generate a new seed for the surface on the go, but I'd love to give it a try one day.

Other ideas for future addons by the way:

- Take the Spacecenter and push it to Cerillion.

- Terraformed Cerillion.

Edited by The White Guardian

48 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

@Disparia Books watching your recentmost stream right now (I planned on watching it live but it started at midnight where I live...). You misunderstood a thing about procedural generation: the planet is generated by the computer on the go, no maps have to be loaded. All 'PQSMods' responsible for altering the terrain however have a value for the 'seed'. This value randomizes the placement of the noise.

It's simliar to Minecraft's world generation algorithm - when creating a world you can enter a specific generation seed. Using the same seed results in the exact same world.

For KSP planets this is the same. Entering the same PQSMod on different planets with the same seed results in the same noise generation.

So if I would transfer Cerillion's mod, VertexPlanet, to the Mun for example, it'll look similar. Not identical because the Mun has Noisemods as well that will be applied on top.

A planet that's different for everyone though... that's an interesting concept. It'll probably require a custom DLL to generate a new seed for the surface on the go, but I'd love to give it a try one day.

Other ideas for future addons by the way:

- Take the Spacecenter and push it to Cerillion.

- Terraformed Cerillion.

Ack, my bad. Yeah, I got my terms mixed up a bit...at least I was remotely close I suppose! I'm going to go ahead and put an edit in the YT video description with a time stamp correcting that when I have a chance later today. Thanks for pointing that out and clarifying!

Okay, moon number 4 will likely not be in the next update and so won't half of the easter eggs be.

Because *bleep* do I hate working with MapDecals. Right now it's offsetting the entire terrain instead of applying the deformity of the decal, which is frustrating as heck.

Another option would be a heightmap, but it's really annoying when something like this just screams 'a-nope!' for no reason.

God, I feel like shooting something right now out of frustration.

*Eyes copy of Ratchet & Clank*

That'll do.

@Gameslinx could you please give me a hand here?

radius = 90000
					position = 53, 95, -120
					angle = 70
					absolute = true
					absoluteOffset = 0
					useAlphaHeightSmoothing = false
					heightMap = Planet_Cerillion/PluginData/Canyon1.dds
					colorMap = Planet_Cerillion/PluginData/Canyon1.dds
					heightMapDeformity = 10000
					smoothHeight = 0
					smoothColor = 0
					cullBlack = true
					enabled = true
					order = 600

This is the code I'm using. For some reason it's applying the deformity as an offset however - it raises a huge chunk of terrain but this chunk itself has no deformity.

So, what obvious mistake am I overseeing here? Because I feel like the answer is right in front of me.

Edited by The White Guardian

Currently uploading the update to Google Drive and SpaceDock.

How CKAN will handle the update I do not know.

Version 2.0 released. Again, I don't know how CKAN will respond to this. If it doesn't update automatically - manual installation is very, very easy. As easy as dropping a single folder in KSPDirectory/GameData.

35 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Currently uploading the update to Google Drive and SpaceDock.

How CKAN will handle the update I do not know.

Version 2.0 released. Again, I don't know how CKAN will respond to this. If it doesn't update automatically - manual installation is very, very easy. As easy as dropping a single folder in KSPDirectory/GameData.

Does this mean the new moons are out?

@The White Guardian

The update was listed on CKAN and I installed it successfully. I went to the tracking station in my game and looked to find the moons around the planet. However, when I tried zooming in the game started running really choppy, and then everything froze up. I restarted my computer, launched KSP, opened a craft on the runway...and now I have clouds??? I did see the planets and I am in the game, and somehow it fixed my cloud problems. Anything you want me to do, look at, or try? Looks good so far though!

Edit: The game plays just fine under all circumstances but gets laggy when looking at Cerillion in the tracking station. But all moons were accounted for.

Edited by Disparia Books
More testing

Interestingly when I try and create planets from PQSmods they look (to a degree) samey.

Any tips I should use? I'm using VertexHeightAbsolute, VertexHeightNoise, VertexHeightCurve2 (whatever that name is) and sometimes voronoiCraters

2 hours ago, Disparia Books said:

@The White Guardian

The update was listed on CKAN and I installed it successfully. I went to the tracking station in my game and looked to find the moons around the planet. However, when I tried zooming in the game started running really choppy, and then everything froze up. I restarted my computer, launched KSP, opened a craft on the runway...and now I have clouds??? I did see the planets and I am in the game, and somehow it fixed my cloud problems. Anything you want me to do, look at, or try? Looks good so far though!

Edit: The game plays just fine under all circumstances but gets laggy when looking at Cerillion in the tracking station. But all moons were accounted for.

Uninstalling EVE and scatterer fixed that for me. It was throwing some null ref exceptions.

Well, I figured out why my game keeps lagging and crashing when I get near Cerillion now...

Turns out when I get near it my RAM utilization maxes out, all 16gigs of my 3000 mhz. Anyone know how to fix the problem? I know I have a lot of mods installed and I heard that causes a lot of the issues, so anyone know how to fix it short of deleting everything? I do have a lot, but I can't think of which ones I can delete right off. Any help would be appreciated!

1 hour ago, Disparia Books said:

Any help would be appreciated!

If you run EVE, you could try what Grape suggested. I haven't yet run KSP with 2.0 installed but I will soon and I know I don't have EVE but I have a lot of other mods, so that'll be a good stress test :D

@Disparia Books the cloud problem was fixed because in the previous version the configs used textures from the default EVE setup (the BoulderCo folder). This new update comes bundled with noise and particle textures, removing the need for the BoulderCo folder. Thank you for confirming that CKAN updated automatically by the way, that was a big worry for me. On a side note: Disparia is still in beta, it'll get some overhauls in the future. The final version will be somewhat like this:

aOdM5pg.png

(Image of Glacia, as it'll appear in the next version of Planet Cyran)

For everyone experiencing lag in the current version, that's because I'm an idiot.

In the EVE configuration Cerillion uses the same cloudtexture about 4-5 times. The problem is that this texture is 8K. With WaterEye enabled that means that your PC has to load 6-7 8K maps plus Scatterer plus noisetextures plus moons plus skybox.

I'll release a hotfix today adding a 2K texture for stuff like sandstorms and mist to be a bit more performance-friendly. That should leave all of you with only 1 8K map loaded by default. Because of university however (current subject: quantum computers) I won't be home until six P.M. local time (as I'm writing this it's 9:30 A.M. so, simple math: in eight-and-a-half hours I'll be home. When I arrive I'll upload the new version immediately so expect the hotfix in nine hours. Since the time zone difference with the USA is roughly six hours, if you live in the USA the hotfix will likely go live around 3:30 P.M.

I'm also working on a sister mod for Cerillion, currently named 'Kovilon' that will make some changes to the inner solar system, beyond the orbit of Eve. Release date will probably around early May, though I'll try to get it done before that. If anyone has any ideas for the moon system, feel free to share! I might end up adding the best ideas.

Fun fact about Cerillion by the way: it was designed for the Kopernicus Creativity Marathon, and ended up winning the second KCM. It's been through many design stages though. First concept was an alien-ish ringed planet with purple oceans, red terrian and purple trees going by the name of 'Trogavel'. Second design was a canyon-ish sandy desert with the eventual green oasis named 'Nisma', which got really close to the final design of Cerillion. Maybe I'll revive these old designs one day in some form.

@Gameslinx for Cerillion I use VertexPlanet. The geological anomalies on the planet were pure luck, so I went like 'OMG I GOTTA USE THIS!' when I saw them, though you can replicate the effects with a MapDecal. Still, try messing around with VertexPlanet, it's basically an all-in-one mod - in-depth procedural generation of planets.

For inspiration on procedural generation try taking a look at @KillAshley's work. Uncharted Lands is fully procedural, as you can see there you can do pretty amazing stuff with it.

7 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

try messing around with VertexPlanet

That's what Niebietos used, then I changed it to a heightmap (on reflection, I realise I didn't need to).

I've decided I might take a little look at it again, and this is what I've come up with. Mods used: VertexHeightNoise, VertexPlanet, VertexHeightNoiseVertHeightCurve2. It looks like a dry version of cerillian, but I'm going to add some more noise to vary the terrain a bit more. So far I'm using the colormap/landclasses provided in the kopernicus example config, but that will change later.

9BIaC67.png

Edited by Gameslinx

5 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

For everyone experiencing lag in the current version, that's because I'm an idiot.

If you knew how many times I've said that when writing or creating something...well. I've learned that any time you can say I'm an idiot you learn something, so joking aside it's actually fun to learn that way :wink:

And that's great to hear about the fix...I don't wanna lose my EVE!

Also, let me know what you need as far as the moon summary (links to others/rules/guidelines) and I will get on that for you ASAP. I'm glad to help with it!

Edited by Disparia Books
Forgot to mention the moon

7 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Fun fact about Cerillion by the way: it was designed for the Kopernicus Creativity Marathon, and ended up winning the second KCM. It's been through many design stages though. First concept was an alien-ish ringed planet with purple oceans, red terrian and purple trees going by the name of 'Trogavel'. Second design was a canyon-ish sandy desert with the eventual green oasis named 'Nisma', which got really close to the final design of Cerillion. Maybe I'll revive these old designs one day in some form.

You should make both of them into a binary planet pack.

I just downloaded the update through CKAN and will check to see if it improved performance. I will let everyone know what I find in a minute.

---

EDIT: Okay, so I tested it again (I have a craft in orbit around the planet on another save for testing purposes) and the RAM creep killed my PC again.

I tried different combinations of EVE/Scatterer/Stock Visual Enhancements and using any killed it. It's only stable now with absolutely all of those removed.

Not sure if that helps or anything. It won't be too much of a hassle to just uninstall those while doing the missions, but I do miss my pretty version of the planet!

Let me know if you want me to do any more testing.

Edited by Disparia Books
Tested the update

4 hours ago, Ourshinigami said:

It's normal or not ? Because I have black cloud and I don't have the rings. (problems with picture, wait please)

I had to delete EVE/Scatterer/Hi-res textures to get everything to work without lag, so I obviously don't have clouds. That being said, everything looked normal when I got my probe there. The screenshot I took from my above link was on the moon Disparia, and everything there seemed fine as well. But there were not any rings in mine, either.

I've noticed that, regardless of Cerillion, sometimes the clouds over Kerbin in the menu appear black when selecting a file or messing with options, but in game they are fine. I don't know if they are related or not though.

Also, I had to post a link because I don't know how to insert images yet :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.