What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

8 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

@The Raging Sandwich Gotta love Mondays! Good luck with your ACT's. And migraines. And power outages.

Well, I had this box full of 50 colored pencils, and I manage to drop it very often... the worst is when you drop it and all 50 spill down the crowded staircase...

BTW is it alright if I add that to my list of quotes?

Yep!

The mixing wand went "POP" while I was taking a nap. Since things rarely go "POP" in my house, I got up to check it out. The cat was staring at the end of the counter where I leave the mixing wand plugged in & the kitchen had a burnt, acrid electrical smell. After I unplugged it & separated the mixing component from the handle of the device, I looked down inside it & saw a thin wisp of smoke still inside. When I put it down on the counter, I noticed black liquid dripping onto the counter from the end of it. It looks like I need a new mixing wand. It's lucky for me it happened while I was home, instead of maybe burning down my house. After I replace it, I won't be leaving the next one plugged in all the time.

I just watched the most amazing fight ever... one of our local outdoor cats just strayed too close to a mockingbird nest in my garden... and they went ballistic on it! I've never seen a pair of birds dive-bombing a cat like this... and chasing it off!  I wish I could have gotten a video. 

Edited by Just Jim

11 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I've never seen a pair of birds dive-bombing a cat like this... and chasing it off!

Ooh, I've seen two swallows chasing off a carcará once, that bird was friggin' huge (once I parked my car at a dirt expanse next to my workplace, but I didn't have the guts to come out because two of them were circling around it, on the floor, and looking at me :( ) 

Edit: on the wiki article I linked, there's a photo at the end of just such a thing happening, and apparently that behaviour is called mobbing a predator. MMO players, now you know!

Edited by monstah

Just now, TheEpicSquared said:

What the hell was an eggplant doing in your oven? :D

You wouldn't believe how loud and dry the noise was; the steam shock wave blew the door open and warped a little part of the hinge (quickly fixable). Me and my wife were looking around startled, wondering just what the HELL had happened, while a friend of ours yelled from the living room asking if we were okay.

...and the mess on the floor, man, the floor.

10 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I just watched the most amazing fight ever... one of our local outdoor cats just strayed too close to a mockingbird nest in my garden... and they went ballistic on it! I've never seen a pair of birds dive-bombing a cat like this... and chasing it off!  I wish I could have gotten a video. 

That happens all the time out where I live. It's just Sparrows V Squirrels. It's so fun to be driving in the car and watch the birds turn into tiny little fighter jets. And then a real fighter jet flies overhead and scares both of them off (We live about an hour away from an air force base).

This didn't happen today, but it did happen so I'm gonna post it here.

So we were on a band trip for school, and we were on the way home. (Remember what I said about the AF base? Yeah that's coming up.) So we had just finished and we were getting on the bus, when I hear this boom going overhead. And I look up, and what to my wondering eyes should appear, but a B-1 Lancer and 4 tiny engines. So I was excited (Heck, I just saw a B-1! Who wouldn't be excited!) When the bus started back up. But was that the end of my fun? NO! As we were going out to the highway, I realized: We were going right past the base! So I look out the window, and BOOM! I see like 60 B-1's, all lined up ready for training. (Fun fact, Dyess AFB is one of only 2 bases in the entire state of Texas that is allowed to use those suckers. Absolute beauty.) Oh, and I saw 2 more of them flying overhead during athletics yesterday. I'll never forget that sight of the bombers, wings outstretched, flying overhead like a great eagle of death. *sigh*

29 minutes ago, monstah said:

A suicidal eggplant performed a terrorist attack inside my oven last night:

jfzc8Ya.jpg 

:( That was a pain to clean. 

ALLAH EGGBAR!!!!!

26 minutes ago, monstah said:

I'm out of likes... but this gets one tomorrow... lol...

9 minutes ago, monstah said:

Ooh, I've seen two swallows chasing off a carcará once, that bird was friggin' huge (once I parked my car at a dirt expanse next to my workplace, but I didn't have the guts to come out because two of them were circling around it, on the floor, and looking at me :( ) 

Edit: on the wiki article I linked, there's a photo at the end of just such a thing happening, and apparently that behaviour is called mobbing a predator. MMO players, now you know!

That's just what happened! But this was so coordinated! One mockingbird would land maybe 3-4 feet right in front of the cat, and as soon as it had the cats attention, the other one swooped down and nailed it... right in the butt!  Poor cat jumped about 3 feet! Then when it turned around, the first one swooped in and nailed it... this went on for at least 5 minutes before the poor cat finally gave up and ran off...  

28 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

That reminds me of when I was chased by a pack of homicidal waterfowl years ago...

Not fun.

So far nothing today has been unusually interesting. Yesterday I was working on a bio project until 10:30 at night. Tonight I have one thing on my agenda: nothing. Should be pleasant :P

in my band concert, we got a song only three weeks ago (and one of them was spring break) and we had to play it tonight

for a week we didn't get any new instructions on practicing and we had to play it tonight

it was also the first time we all played as one band

we didn't fail! YAY!!

On 4/16/2017 at 8:28 PM, Tex said:

It technically happened yesterday, not today, but I randomly found a 16gb flash drive that I lost..... Er, about two or three years ago.

Which reminds me, I need to plug it in and see what's on there. Like a time capsule.

Edit: Worst. Time capsule. Ever. It had nothing on it. 15.2gb of absolutely nothing. Great job for losing such valuable information, me.

I found a flash drive from what, three years ago? It had two Minecraft worlds on it.

Another game (factorio)is short before an update. Devs showed the upcoming new stuff in a news-thread yesterday. Now people go crazy and demand a higher price for the game as the fun/price ratio is too low.

These are strange times we live in my friends ...

Edited by Green Baron

Long day. Got up at 4:50 for a track meet. We had to get to the school at 6:00 (the bus didn't come until 6:20). Then we took an hour drive to this school further north and got there around 7:15. Of course, when we got there, it started raining (the same thing happened at the same stadium another time) and we got delayed for around 2 hours until 9:30. Then it stopped raining and we proceeded as normal. I did my events, the 400m and 800m. I beat my time for the 400 but I'm not sure about the 800 because the clock broke half-way through the race. Then the whole 9-hour span we were there, I went from looking like this guy:

Spoiler

Image result for sheamus wwe

to this guy:

Spoiler

Image result for sunburned person

Today was a normal day... for the place I'm working. It's in a mall. Nothing special here, you can think "uh? and so?", but THAT mall is particular. Some of us working there call it "The Retards Mall". There is nearly not a day for every workers to don't get at least one idiot or to see something pretty fun.

So I was just passing by the ice rink (yes, there is an ice rink. It's not working but there is an ice rink) and just heard a young girl, maybe around 10-12, holding to the railing and grunting to another in front of her. She got a strong accent and I wasn't able to understand anything except the word "S*CK" that she said at least three times to the other one while waving her left arm like in a rap video clip. There I heard a loud "HIIIIIIIIIIIiiii!!!!" from a younger girl that just couldn't stop on the ice and followed by a big "BANG!". She hit the barrier right between the gangsta-wannabe and her "friend" and surprise them so much that they fall on the ice too!

I went to see if they were right (skaters also came immediately) and the youngest got nothing, she was just a bit shaken by the surprise or the fear.

The funniest to me? When I left I just heard the gangsta saying the "s*ck" word again.

Just preparing for the jam session in school 

Just speaking about KSP or ROBLOX....(not decide yet..)

On 20/04/2017 at 8:03 PM, monstah said:

jfzc8Ya.jpg 

Muahahahahahahaha * some evil laugh..*

An funny accident (video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti-zq4azB_8

Happened in the harbour of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria on friday. I know the harbour, have been there many times when sailing the Canaries. According to preliminary information the boat suffered a complete power loss as it had just left the harbour basin and was turning around in a sharp curve towards the north when that happened. Apparently rudder wasn't functional and it took a few seconds to switch the engine to backwards (they have, of course a gear for switching directions). Short after impact it then runs backwards s you see by the propeller water.

You can see the dimensions in comparison to the car that luckily passed a few seconds before impact.

180 were on board, 13 persons suffered minor wounds, mainly bruises, one broken clavicle. Sad thing: 60.000l (The decimal is thousands. Savvy ? :-)) of diesel ran into the sea as the diesel supply to the berths was cut by the impact. As was a tube of a water desalination plant, so the city is a little short on fresh water now. 30.000l were pumped out directly by salvage crews, the rest is assumed to evaporate over the next days. The carpet is confined to an area of 3 by 1,2 km along the coast.

"Phew"

:-)

Edti: just watched the video another time with a friend and he asked "Why didn't they drop the anchor ?". They did, one can see the chain tight as a string, but the water is deep and rocky (around 40m) and the angle bad. The anchor could not dig in and thus only served as an additional means to lower the speed.

Edited by Green Baron

Friday was...kinda bizarre.

For animation class in first period my teacher and another student got into a heated debate about how time travel works in the context of Back To The Future. It's always nice to start off your day with a conversation about general relativity :P. Meanwhile I was designing Pluto for an animation I'm trying to make. So I guess spacetimey-wimey stuff is a nice soundtrack to doing spacey stuff.

Third period was quite interesting. I was in a group stations activity, and we regurally went off topic onto some completely random stuff. For example - who the heck Hellen Keller was, whether Homer could see through the Force to write, and if wood has a nutritional value. 

After a bunch of other eventful stuff in school I got home to see my neighbor training squirrels.

My life is weird.

On 1/4/2017 at 10:30 PM, UnionPacific1983WP said:

I had a snow day. I also do tomorrow. Snow's 13+ inches deep in my backyard. 

Note to Nature: This is southern Idaho, not Canada. I mean, I appreciate the extra time away from school and all, but other than that...

13+?! That isn't Canada; That's flipping Antarctica.