What funny/interesting thing happened in your life today?

Ultimate Steve

I nearly ruined a German tourists holiday on my way back home from work. Instead it turned into a valuable lesson about traffic regulations for her and her entire family.

Over the last few years an ever increasing, and ever more annoying number of cycling German tourists blindly cross the roads assuming they have the right of way even though the signs and markings clearly indicate the opposite. Driving home from work at just under 80kph I noticed a group of cyclists starting to cross. And since I had the right of way I had no intention to stop.Some of them had already crossed, some stopped as they should. One did not. Fortunately for her I expected them to ignore the regulations and slammed on the brakes. With screeching tires I came to a full stop less than half a meter before hitting her. In fright she hit a curb and fell to the ground.

In the end she turned out to be OK. A painful wrist, shocked and perhaps a few bruises. But most of all a valuable lesson they will never forget: Pay attention to the signs and markers and yield if you do NOT have the right of way!

Edited by Tex_NL

23 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

I nearly ruined a German tourists holiday on my way back home from work. Instead it turned into a valuable lesson about traffic regulations for her and her entire family.

Over the last few years an ever increasing, and ever more annoying number of cycling German tourists blindly cross the roads assuming they have the right of way even though the signs and markings clearly indicate the opposite. Driving home from work at just under 80kph I noticed a group of cyclists starting to cross. And since I had the right of way I had no intention to stop.Some of them had already crossed, some stopped as they should. One did not. Fortunately for her I expected them to ignore the regulations and slammed on the brakes. With screeching tires I came to a full stop less than half a meter before hitting her. In fright she hit a curb and fell to the ground.

In the end she turned out to be OK. A painful wrist, shocked and perhaps a few bruises. But most of all a valuable lesson they will never forget: Pay attention to the signs and markers and yield if you do NOT have the right of way!

I'm speechless. 

The fact that you think you taught her a lesson, the fact you think you've acted correctly is disturbing. Even worse, you posted about it here as if it was a "funny, interesting thing that happened to your life today". Besides: What do you think would have happened if you had hit her? Do you think the police would have patted your shoulder for having done everything right?

It is not on you to teach people lessons, especially not in a way that puts them in danger. People like you shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Edited by Physics Student

17 minutes ago, Physics Student said:

I'm speechless. 

The fact that you think you taught her a lesson, the fact you think you've acted correctly is disturbing. Even worse, you posted about it here as if it was a "funny, interesting thing that happened to your life today". Besides: What do you think would have happened if you had hit her? Do you think the police would have patted your shoulder for having done everything right?

It is not on you to teach people lessons, especially not in a way that puts them in danger. People like you shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Well, even if he had hit her, @Tex_NL would likely not have been considered at fault. It's on the people using the roads to understand the laws they must abide by when using them. Luckily, he did stop, and no one got seriously hurt. It's not disturbing. He noticed and correctly ascertained that the cyclists were not aware of who had the right of way. So, he stopped, in order to prevent an accident. @Tex_NL did act correctly, and, hopefully, the cyclists learned that they did not have the right of way when crossing while going through that country/area, which can help to prevent future accidents. It's an interesting thing because an accident was avoided.

He wasn't going out to drive to teach people lessons. There were people crossing who did not understand who had the right of way. It is on them to understand and know who has the right of way. What happened here, is that someone almost got themselves into an accident due to a misunderstanding or a lack of knowledge. Thankfully, the driver stopped without hurting anyone. Then, the cyclists learned, not in the hard way, mind you, about the right of way. @Tex_NL did not choose to teach the cyclists a lesson, even though that was the result. He stopped an accident.

Yeah, the great majority of cyclists I've seen seem to think that traffic rules do not apply to them

Going wrong-way on a one-way street then turning and nearly colliding with cars, crossing busy streets even though there's a red light, blatantly ignoring stop signs, no hand signals when turning, it's unbelievable

And then when stuff happens the driver is at fault */facepalm*

27 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

Yeah, the great majority of cyclists I've seen seem to think that traffic rules do not apply to them

Going wrong-way on a one-way street then turning and nearly colliding with cars, crossing busy streets even though there's a red light, blatantly ignoring stop signs, no hand signals when turning, it's unbelievable

And then when stuff happens the driver is at fault */facepalm*

Exactly. Especially when rules differ between countries.
Apparently cyclists on the sidewalk is very common and legal in Germany. In the Netherlands it is not. Cyclists belong on the cycling path or when there is non, on the road.
Also in Germany on cycling crossovers the cyclists DO have the right of way. In the Netherlands usually they do not. As a result cycling German tourists blindly assume they have the right of way. And German motorists brake and stop for no apparent reason causing all kinds of dangerous situations.

I do not wish to offend any German forum members here. I earn my pay on the road and nearly always when I encounter such behaviour German tourists are involved.
And it's not just me who came to this conclusion, my colleagues, friends and family all feel the same. It has come so far that often when there is a German car ahead of me and we come close to a known cyclist crossing I slow down just in case. This has saved me from several 'close encounters' if you know what I mean.
And if you hit a bicycle with a regular can the cyclist 'merely' gets a flying lesson. When you hit one with an 18tonne truck it's all over.

Edited by Tex_NL

If we're on the topic of interesting but non-funny things, I was in a car crash on the 24th. My parents are in the hospital and will be there for a while. The car is no more, but fortunately I am okay. Hopefully everything will turn out alright.

3 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

I had a root canal and a crown put on - on the same tooth AND the same day. Pain...

I've had a root canal done before, I feel your pain.

9 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

If we're on the topic of interesting but non-funny things, I was in a car crash on the 24th. My parents are in the hospital and will be there for a while. The car is no more, but fortunately I am okay. Hopefully everything will turn out alright.

Your parents will recover, right? And I'm glad to hear that you're ok.

I played a really neat jam on the piano and thought "Man, I've got to write this in SunVox!" but I knew there was no chance of remembering the thing for long enough to even go downstairs to the computer. This is a recurring problem. Now I'm going to record everything I play on the piano so that if something comes along that I should make in 8-bit, I can actually do so later.

Just kind of funny...

Took my cat, Waldo, to the vet today, for his annual checkup and shots.

EKzhRiw.jpg

First off, he got a fairly good bill of health... yea! :) 

What was funny is Waldo is obviously orange and white, but if you look closely, you can just make out a small black spot on his nose... probably a mole or freckle. But while he was there, one of the vet techs spotted it and turned to the other and said, "oh look, he has a black mark, does that make him a male calico?" And then they get into this playful argument about whether he's a male calico or not.

FYI... he isn't... It's a little mole or something, not a patch of black fur... but it was funny to listen to them arguing about it. :D

Edited by Just Jim

9 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

"oh look, he has a black mark, does that make him a male calico?" And then they get into this playful argument about whether he's a male calico or not.

He he he he he 

Oh, me? 

Packed for a vacation. That's it. 

Edited by Lo Var Lachland

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:53 PM, Just Jim said:

<you read it once, you don't have to read it again!>

what a cute cat!

me?

after writing a new KSP thing (DONT WORRY! it wont be abandoned! I have a really cool style of it!) I realize I make a TON of errors when naming my things

here's an example (LUCKY YOU!)

I'll underline errors to show how many errors I make

The first mission to the UKSS, launching from this mission will test out the Ussatakka Space and Aeronautics Department’s (USAD) Zaaytar Crew Transportation System and the station’s existing Life Support and power production. This mission will not have any experiments, as the station is not known to be stable enough to test them, the mission will last from Y1:D3 to an Indefinite date, with the crew of Valentina “Val” Kerman, Bobalamos “Bob” Kerman and Billagalas “Bill” Kerman joining Station Commander Jebediah “Jeb” Kerman on the United Kerbin Space Station, at the end of the mission, Jebediah will join Bobalamos and Billagalas in the Zaaytar and will land and be recovered at an indefinite date.

and these are the ones I haven't told the computer are right!

Tarkin is mean. He doesn't talk to me even though I put him in control of the most powerful fleet in the Galaxy, unless it's to berate me for not doing orders he didn't tell me to do. Why can't he be more like Piet or Veers? :(

Spoiler

I've been playing too much SW: Empire At War...

Since an hour, i have terrestrial internet ! Yay !

Well, almost. The last few kilometers are still via a dish to a central antenna on a ridge overlooking the valley.

Background: a few weeks ago the end of a fibre optic cable has arrived on the far side of the island i live on and immediately the first providers popped up. I decided to wait for the first positive customer reports and then i ordered.

Before there was only satellite internet, but 36,000km up and down and a limited bandwidth aren't really fun, especially with those pages that are dynamically generated. It'll make you guys yawn i assume, but i now have freaking 6Mbit down and 2 up. And no monthly limit any more.

I just hope i can resist watching stupid youtube videos ;-)

Edited by Green Baron

The first few years I lived in the foothills (maybe 15 km from the center of town), I had a directional 802.11 setup with an amp. Antenna pointed at a building downtown where my internet came from.

works ok except in huge storms.

1 minute ago, Green Baron said:

Hmm, i'm a bit early. But i couldn't find any appropriate easter rabbit/beagle ears. I should maybe change the avatar into Jeb as Louis XIV or something ...

Now that would be cool to see... or even as Napoleon... :D