KSP Multiplayer

9 hours ago, Northstar1989 said:

If you never attempt anything great, you will never achieve it.

Wow. That is very motivating and everything. But you know what? They already tried to do something "great" and we ended up with the career mode that has to be hacked via mods and roleplayed to be enjoyable. I'd rather if they didn't try to bring this kind of "greatness" to this game anymore.

The reality is, KSP is already slowly fading away from the public consciousness, DESPITE its console ports rather than because of them.  The only way they are going to get the game more attention, and more sales, is by doing something fundamentally transformative like implementing multiplayer.

It's fading away not because nothing is being added but because it's been many years and the potential of the game got wasted in some areas. Add to that overhyping (did we really need these buildings to be destructible?) and the spread of false information (Shmelta-Vee??????).

Localization and console ports expand their *potential* market, but they will never acctually sell to that potential until they get more media attention.  That being said, if they set up localization and console-ports first and THEN add multiplayer, they're likely to bring in more media attention and sales in the long run- as the media blitz adding multiplayer will generate is kind of likely to only be a one-time thing...

Multiplayer is not the way to go. A new game is. KSP always was just a project  by a young developer who would learn how to code the game as he added new features to it. The game would probably have to be remade from the scratch. But that wouldn't bring any new players because we already have something that works OK-ish. Same with adding multiplayer. It simply won't work because of many aspects. KSP MP would be boring and either full of paradoxes or people waiting for each other to finish driving their rovers or flying their planes.

That's why I think a SimplePlane-like game with kerbals has to happen. After all, KSP was the main inspiration for the creator of SP. This build-and-fly genre has to continue and if we want to see more attention and money going into SQUAD's pocket then we better ask them for a prequel/sequel like this. KSP is in 1.0 (released) and the dream is over. They are not adding more planets, more systems, EM or Alcubierre drives. I don't even think the part overhaul is going to happen anymore. I've seen it way too many times. So don't expect fireworks for the next few updates. I'm not.

Edited by Veeltch

@Veeltch well you're clearly a cynic about... basically everything.

I don't get your obsession with SQUAD stopping development of KSP and making another game, but it's off-toff-topic here, and disrespectful to everyone here to prate on about it instead of the topic- how SQUAD could implement multiplayer *in KSP*- not in another game...

On 2/20/2017 at 3:04 AM, SLAMOVNIK989 said:

Even Dark MultiPlayer is not that good like I thought. My imaginary of Advanced Multiplayer mode is: Showing all players on server regardless to kerbal time of each player, Easier searching for planes and rockets in craft search.

This hit on the issue without realizing it.  The main problem with DMP is simply amateur coding and that it lacks quality-of-life improvements.  Things that SQUAD could *easily* fix if they did their own version of multiplayer from scratch, but with a roughly similar system in mind...

On 1/11/2017 at 1:43 AM, Veeltch said:

I really struggle to understand where's the fun part. I tried to play the DMP a few times with my friend and the only difference was that we would chat in-game about what we were doing. We performed a rendezvous once (with a lot of syncing and leaving and rejoining the game) and it pretty much concluded our adventure with multiplayer.

I'm not against fun. I just don't see any multiplayer fun to do in a space sim like KSP. To me KSP was always about self set goals and achievements and the ability to "go there and beyond". Development of MP would be a waste of time. On the other hand, a new flight sim kerbal game with MP would be an instant hit.

@Veeltch the issues you and your friend had with DMP also had literally NOTHING to do with the basic concept of multiplayer, or how they went about implementing it.  If the basic coding basis for DMP had been sound, and it included the right quality-of-life improvements, then docking would have been trivial in DMP- and the exact same as in single player...

You would have simply synced time-warp, established a phasing orbit, time-warped together (in sync) until the two craft were close to in position for rendezvous, set a maneuver node and performed the intercept-burn, matched velocity at closest approach, performed a series of micro-maneuvers to get closer, matched velocity again and then inititiated final approach to bring the docking-ports together...

This is literally the EXACT SAME procedure as for docking in single player, with the exception of the addes bit that you need to sync time-warp before phasing the orbits.  Which leaves me asking- are you *ABSOLUTELY SURE* you actually know how to perform rendezvous and docking correctly?

If ANY of my terms or steps sounded unfamiliar to you, then TBH, you probably don't know how to perform docking correctly.

You wouldn't be alone either- 90% of the time I hear a player whining on the forums about literally anything to do with docking, it's because he/she doesn't know how to do it correctly  (even some experienced KSP veterans I've watched on Steam or on Twitch don't know or follow the correct procedure- and even fewer know enough to be able to improvise if there is something slightly unusual or difficult about the situation or craft...)  So I'm actually more inclined to believe you and your friend didn't know enough about rendezvous and docking to do it correctly with another player (if you're like many KSP players you probably each had your own hackneyed methods, which meant you were each trying to do a slightly different, slightly wrong thing) than that it was a problem with Dark Multiplayer.

There's an old saying in computer programming (my mother was once an engineer who did a lot of programming for the defense industry, so even though I'm quite bad at it I learned a lot of programming lore/culture at a young age- though this one I actually got from the internet) "Garbage In, Garbage Out".  No matter how good your program is, if you give it the wrong inputs, it will give you the wrong outputs.

Similarly it wouldn't matter if you were working with a FLAWLESS multiplayer system- if you and your friend didn't have a solid understanding of, and an agreed-upon approach for, rendezvous and docking, it was going to be impossible no matter if multiplayer was essentially functionally identical to singleplayer except with 2 different people needing to agree on how to achieve things...

Regards,

Northstar

P.S. My credentials when it comes to rendezvous and docking are impeccable.  I've performed maneuvers less knowledgeable players think are impossible- like intercepting and docking with a craft performing a Munar gravity-assist out of the Kerbin system with another craft originally in orbit of the Mun, or performing rendezvous and docking in highly-elliptical orbits (or even on escape trajectories).  So believe me when I rell you, most KSP players don't have a clue about the proper way to rendezvous/dock or the underlying theory- most just stumbled across a method that sort if works for them at some point, and stick with it assuming it's the right way to do it...  (I myself used to be like this until I started reading countless player-guides and realizing that no two agreed- and so instead started reading up about how NASA does it, and learning the underlying theory...)

1 hour ago, Northstar1989 said:

@Veeltch well you're clearly a cynic about... basically everything.

I don't get your obsession with SQUAD stopping development of KSP and making another game, but it's off-toff-topic here, and disrespectful to everyone here to prate on about it instead of the topic- how SQUAD could implement multiplayer *in KSP*- not in another game...

This thread would have been long closed if I tried to derail it. And with your post we're closer to that than we previously were.

How is wanting a game in which MP would actually work and be fun (unlike in KSP) going offtopic?

And about the docking part: I've been playing KSP since 0.11. I obviously don't know how to dock.

Edited by Veeltch