[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

3 minutes ago, Noobton said:

In the wiki there are 2 numbers for supply consumption (0.00075 and 0.0005):

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Kore-Design

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Life-Support

Do you know which one is correct or when can I see this numbers in game?

Thank you.

0.0005 is correct.  You should be able to see and change this in the Life Support settings window.  (Open the LS window in KSC view.)

Hello.

There is a minor issue that I would like to point out. It arises in a very narrow set of conditions so maybe I am the only one to be affected. It is not a bug or whatsoever but only a little limitation of the logistic mechanics. I am going to explain myself:

Imagine you have a farming/building base and you use Extraplanetary Launchpads to build your rockets. You want to build a rocket with a certain amount of supplies, fertilizer and mulch to go for a long term mission. So you build your rocket with EPL and it spawns with all tanks empty (as it should). Then you pump supplies and fertilizer in to fill the tanks ... and you would like to launch with filled tanks. But for the life of me I couldn't get those tanks and converters storage to stay filled. Local logistics always kicks in and level all the supplies and fertilizer tanks within range. (At least as far as I know) there is no way to freeze local logistics for those two resources. Even it I click on the green button to make it red an inhibit flow it doesn't work (for supplies I cannot even click it and for fertilizer it become red but it doesn't prevent it from being "stolen"). For all the other resources I can deselect (local logistics) in the container window. But for supplies and fertilizer containers and converters I couldn't find a way to stop them from being leveled.

PS Machinery is another resource which is very difficult to pump in rockets built with EPL but the Machinery flow has changed so many times in the past months/years that I still don't understand it well enough to tell what is possible (and what not) to do with it.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, LastStarDust said:

Hello.

There is a minor issue that I would like to point out. It arises in a very narrow set of conditions so maybe I am the only one to be affected. It is not a bug or whatsoever but only a little limitation of the logistic mechanics. I am going to explain myself:

Imagine you have a farming/building base and you use Extraplanetary Launchpads to build your rockets. You want to build a rocket with a certain amount of supplies, fertilizer and mulch to go for a long term mission. So you build your rocket with EPL and it spawns with all tanks empty (as it should). Then you pump supplies and fertilizer in to fill the tanks ... and you would like to launch with filled tanks. But for the life of me I couldn't get those tanks and converters storage to stay filled. Local logistics always kicks in and level all the supplies and fertilizer tanks within range. (At least as far as I know) there is no way to freeze local logistics for those two resources. Even it I click on the green button to make it red an inhibit flow it doesn't work (for supplies I cannot even click it and for fertilizer it become red but it doesn't prevent it from being "stolen"). For all the other resources I can deselect (local logistics) in the container window. But for supplies and fertilizer containers and converters I couldn't find a way to stop them from being leveled.

PS Machinery is another resource which is very difficult to pump in rockets built with EPL but the Machinery flow has changed so many times in the past months/years that I still don't understand it well enough to tell what is possible (and what not) to do with it.

Thank you.

Did you turn the local warehouse module off on your supplies and fertilizer tanks?

27 minutes ago, LastStarDust said:

<schnip>

But for supplies and fertilizer containers and converters I couldn't find a way to stop them from being leveled.

As @sh1pman said, there is a button to disable the relevant kontainer/tank participating in PL or LL-PL is disabled by default while LL is enabled by default. Regarding the machinery, you should just be able to manually pump it over (with alt-click) or (if refilling a module) EVA over to it with an engineer or mechanic and click "perform maintenance" to pull from all containers on the vessel plus any <150m away.

4 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Did you turn the local warehouse module off on your supplies and fertilizer tanks?

Converters like the 'Ranger' Agricultural Module and the USI-LS specialized containers have Supplies and Fertilizer storage but there is no disable/enable "local wharehouse" button in their windows.

3 hours ago, voicey99 said:

As @sh1pman said, there is a button to disable the relevant kontainer/tank participating in PL or LL-PL is disabled by default while LL is enabled by default. Regarding the machinery, you should just be able to manually pump it over (with alt-click) or (if refilling a module) EVA over to it with an engineer or mechanic and click "perform maintenance" to pull from all containers on the vessel plus any <150m away.

Thanks for explaining what the perform maintenance button does. I was already suspecting that but it is always good to have confirmation.

6 minutes ago, LastStarDust said:

Converters like the 'Ranger' Agricultural Module and the USI-LS specialized containers have Supplies and Fertilizer storage but there is no disable/enable "local warehouse" button in their windows.

Converters and USI-LS containers do not participate in logistics, only kontainers and tanks from the Kontainers sub-mod of MKS do-look for "USI_Module Resource Warehouse" in their VAB infoboxes.

(If you didn't know already, which I guess you probably do, for them in turn to participate in planetary logistics (push/pull), either an MPU or a Logistics Module (Duna or Tundra) must be present to push to PL, to pull stuff back out of it requires an LM with a Pilot or Quartermaster in it).

Edited by voicey99

27 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Also remember that logistics are only relevant for disconnected vessels.  i.e. if you plan your base right, local storage can be sufficient for most of the resources involved.

Can I use planetary storage to expand Ranger modules? Because I have enough MaterialKits storage in my base, but they always get pushed into PL if I try to fill in the right amount. 

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

Can I use planetary storage to expand Ranger modules? Because I have enough MaterialKits storage in my base, but they always get pushed into PL if I try to fill in the right amount. 

No, it has to be local. Just turn off PL for the base storage (use a second PL-enabled kontainer to transfer to the first).

slight hiccup... apparently the game is quite happy to put kerbals into "tundra" kerbitats and strand them out there for rescue missions... 

apparently they dont have hatches... (so how do kerbals move around inside when it's hooked up?? :huh: )

erm... 

any ideas how I can get the kerbal out? (I'm playing career and doing missions to get the cash to upgrade the science complex so I'm stuck with <=100 sci research) or is there a way to tweak it so it doesn't pick those components as target vehicles?

Edited by LeftyRighty

I'm completely stuck on agriculture.  I have USI-LS installed and have managed to get my first Ranger ag module working, but despite being fully supplied with all resource inputs, EC, and staffed by a farmer it refuses to go above 5.5% efficiency.  Details: I'm using Agroponics, so the only things I should need are Fertilizer and Mulch, both of which have > 100 units stored in the module.  Module's Machinery supplies are fully stocked.  Tended by one Farmer and one Miner, both of whom are fully leveled (AKA not using XP on this playthrough).  Module is linked via hubs and tubes to an empty Supplies warehouse and a Global Logistics hub, which is manned by no less a personage than Valentina Kerman.

I've tried juggling inputs, I've tried deploying extra Sunflower lights (doesn't seem to do anything), I've been through the wiki, and I can't see what I'm doing wrong.  Do I really need two Farmers to go above 5% efficiency?

5 hours ago, LeftyRighty said:

any ideas how I can get the kerbal out? (I'm playing career and doing missions to get the cash to upgrade the science complex so I'm stuck with <=100 sci research) or is there a way to tweak it so it doesn't pick those components as target vehicles?

There is a mod for limiting the parts that rescues can spawn in, but I do not recall it's name right now.

3 hours ago, ChaserGrey said:

I'm completely stuck on agriculture.  I have USI-LS installed and have managed to get my first Ranger ag module working, but despite being fully supplied with all resource inputs, EC, and staffed by a farmer it refuses to go above 5.5% efficiency.  Details: I'm using Agroponics, so the only things I should need are Fertilizer and Mulch, both of which have > 100 units stored in the module.  Module's Machinery supplies are fully stocked.  Tended by one Farmer and one Miner, both of whom are fully leveled (AKA not using XP on this playthrough).  Module is linked via hubs and tubes to an empty Supplies warehouse and a Global Logistics hub, which is manned by no less a personage than Valentina Kerman.

I've tried juggling inputs, I've tried deploying extra Sunflower lights (doesn't seem to do anything), I've been through the wiki, and I can't see what I'm doing wrong.  Do I really need two Farmers to go above 5% efficiency?

Farmers help you make organics, you need a biologist or a scientist to help with making supplies.

See the table on this page:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Crew-Skills-Impact-on-Parts

Also having two or 3 of the same thing will only help colonization bonuses, not production.  Production only considers the highest starred kerbal on board with the appropriate skill.

11 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Converters and USI-LS containers do not participate in logistics, only kontainers and tanks from the Kontainers sub-mod of MKS do-look for "USI_Module Resource Warehouse" in their VAB infoboxes.

(If you didn't know already, which I guess you probably do, for them in turn to participate in planetary logistics (push/pull), either an MPU or a Logistics Module (Duna or Tundra) must be present to push to PL, to pull stuff back out of it requires an LM with a Pilot or Quartermaster in it).

Thank you for the valuable informations. I really appreciate and will keep them in mind. Anyhow they don't seem to answer my original question as how to keep a part (capable of storing supplies and fertilizer) filled when in the proximity of a base.

Debug console shows "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" whenever I try to deploy the inflatable ground habitat/agriculture/workshop modules. The inflatable logistics bubble seems to work fine. Might be something off with the required variables for starting the deployment animation/function.

You guys recognize this?

Edited by SlimJim89

12 minutes ago, SlimJim89 said:

Debug console shows "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" whenever I try to deploy the inflatable ground habitat/agriculture/workshop modules. The inflatable logistics bubble seems to work fine. Might be something off with the required variables for starting the deployment animation/function.

You guys recoginize this?

Do you use USI-LS?  If not, those parts really don't do anything (and as I recall still toss an error, need a GitHub issue to sort that)

8 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Do you use USI-LS?  If not, those parts really don't do anything (and as I recall still toss an error, need a GitHub issue to sort that)

10 minutes ago, TauPhraim said:

Which versions of MKS/USI are you using ? Do you have the full (code) stack of the error ? What is the name of the "bubble" ?

For USI-LS:  

"VERSION":{
         "MAJOR":0,
         "MINOR":5,
         "PATCH":21,
         "BUILD":0
     },

USI-MKS:

"VERSION":{
         "MAJOR":0,
         "MINOR":50,
         "PATCH":15,
         "BUILD":0
     },

The 'bubble' is the MKS Inflatable Storage Module. I don't have a full stack of the error, I only seem to get the basic exception message in the console. I doubt a full stack message is generated somewhere?

23 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Update to the latest versions - your MKS version is two versions out of date.  

Problem fixed!

Is there an issue btw on the self-induced sliding of certain base parts? Seem to be some drag modifier.

4 hours ago, LastStarDust said:

Thank you for the valuable informations. I really appreciate and will keep them in mind. Anyhow they don't seem to answer my original question as how to keep a part (capable of storing supplies and fertilizer) filled when in the proximity of a base.

As I said, if the container is a USI-LS tank it shouldn't participate in local logistics and if its an MKS kontainer or tank, disable local logistics in the part rightclick menu. If the buttons to do that don't show up, your USITools is probably out of date.