[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

6 hours ago, LastStarDust said:

Thank you for the valuable informations. I really appreciate and will keep them in mind. Anyhow they don't seem to answer my original question as how to keep a part (capable of storing supplies and fertilizer) filled when in the proximity of a base.

If you have hungry kerbals, there is nothing you can do to keep them from breaking into your stored food-stuffs, so locking the only available food will never work.

If your Kerbals have plenty of other food, your container does not have either type of warehousing turned on and you have turned off flow(the arrow that turns off fuel flow) then it sounds like a bug and should probably be reported on github so RoverDude has a reminder to take a look at it.

I notice that the Duna Pioneer Module's description says that it features "survey station capabilities for off-world construction".  That's not a thing anymore, right?  Survey stations were EL, and for GC you need a workshop, as I understand it.

37 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

I notice that the Duna Pioneer Module's description says that it features "survey station capabilities for off-world construction".  That's not a thing anymore, right?  Survey stations were EL, and for GC you need a workshop, as I understand it.

They can locate/create resource nodes, that could be what it is referring to.

2 hours ago, Wyzard said:

It still has an EL survey station in it.

Used to use MKS back prior to 1.2, just coming back into the game again, and noticed, that I cannot change the bigelow-style habitat from greenhouse to other types (like a habitat).  I see you need specialized parts, but only oxygen, recyclables and machinery parts can be stocked in the habitat module.

I must be doing something wrong, searching through this thread, the USI manual and various reddit pages have left me a bit confused.  Any advice would be great.

Cheers,

Gaultesian

Um, is it normal that parts still consume MatKits on maintenance, even though the wear&tear mechanic has been removed? I printed a Ranger Hab module with OSE workshop, expanded it, but when my engineer performed a routine maintenance on it, several thousand MatKits vanished. This also happens with other parts, but to a lesser degree.

57 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Um, is it normal that parts still consume MatKits on maintenance, even though the wear&tear mechanic has been removed? I printed a Ranger Hab module with OSE workshop, expanded it, but when my engineer performed a routine maintenance on it, several thousand MatKits vanished. This also happens with other parts, but to a lesser degree.

Are you sure the material kits weren't used to expand the hab module?

1 hour ago, Gaultesian said:

Used to use MKS back prior to 1.2, just coming back into the game again, and noticed, that I cannot change the bigelow-style habitat from greenhouse to other types (like a habitat).  I see you need specialized parts, but only oxygen, recyclables and machinery parts can be stocked in the habitat module.

I must be doing something wrong, searching through this thread, the USI manual and various reddit pages have left me a bit confused.  Any advice would be great.

Cheers,

Gaultesian

First, those parts don't contain oxygen by themselves. So something else is adding them. My guess would be a MM patch for TAC-LS. I can't speak to whether the TAC-LS patch works properly and RoverDude does not officially support TAC-LS. He relies on the community to provide that patch. 

Second, you need another way to get specialized parts as that is part of the design. You can add a SP storage container to your vessel by KIS/KAS, docking ports, or stock grappler/claw. Another possibility is to put a logistics enabled container within scavenging range which contains SP. However I'm not 100% is scavenging will work for this. 

Edited by Tarheel1999

58 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

No, it isn't. I'm not even sure why the Ranger hab has a maintenance button, (as far as I know) maintenance is just for restocking machinery in a processing module.

10 minutes ago, Tarheel1999 said:

Are you sure the material kits weren't used to expand the hab module?

Of course they were. 8k MatKits to expand a Ranger Hab module. I'd be surprised if the game let me expand it for free :)

5 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

No, it isn't. I'm not even sure why the Ranger hab has a maintenance button, (as far as I know) maintenance is just for restocking machinery in a processing module.

Ranger Hab uses machinery to do its thing, hence the "maintenance" button. It can store 200 of it.

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Ranger Hab uses machinery to do its thing, hence the "maintenance" button. It can store 200 of it.

Derp, I forgot inflatable habs use machinery. Probably because I don't use them for being too cumbersome.

Just now, voicey99 said:

Derp, I forgot inflatable habs use machinery. Probably because I don't use them for being too cumbersome.

And apparently, in case of 3D-printed Ranger Habs, the maintenance not only transfers machinery to them, but also devours thousands upon thousands of MatKits (in addition to the expansion cost). 

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

And apparently, in case of 3D-printed Ranger Habs, the maintenance not only transfers machinery to them, but also devours thousands upon thousands of MatKits (in addition to the expansion cost). 

Which mod is the 3D printer from, anyway?

Just now, voicey99 said:

Which mod is the 3D printer from, anyway?

OSE Workshop, Roverdude uses it in his streams. Ranger workshops and assembly plants have this functionality.

Edited by sh1pman

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

OSE Workshop, Roverdude uses it in his streams.

Looks like there's still a gremlin to work out in the OSE compat, then. Log it on the git.

Edited by voicey99

24 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Looks like there's still a gremlin to work out in the OSE compat, then. Log it on the git.

Speaking of which, I just tried out OSE Workshop today and the MKS integration seemed to be incomplete — the OSE resource converter can produce MaterialKits the MKS way, from Metals/Polymers/Chemicals, but it still has the option to produce them the non-MKS way, from Ore.  Also, the stock drills have buttons for drilling Dirt, RareMetals, and ExoticMinerals, which don't seem appropriate under MKS (which has separate parts for that).

I'm not sure whether that's intentional, but I uninstalled OSE workshop for now, and I might submit a PR later to remove those things.

4 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

Speaking of which, I just tried out OSE Workshop today and the MKS integration seemed to be incomplete — the OSE resource converter can produce MaterialKits the MKS way, from Metals/Polymers/Chemicals, but it still has the option to produce them the non-MKS way, from Ore.  Also, the stock drills have buttons for drilling Dirt, RareMetals, and ExoticMinerals, which don't seem appropriate under MKS (which has separate parts for that).

I'm not sure whether that's intentional, but I uninstalled OSE workshop for now, and I might submit a PR later to remove those things.

Some of this is appropriate for smooth transitioning: you don't, probably, want to default to "none of your old OSE stuff will work" with the OSE parts. Especially since the converter specifically is already duplicated by MKS parts, so if it's balanced against the Ranger/Tundra workshops and uses only the same M/P/C converter, there is no reason to use it. Its only reason for existence is to enable either a) smooth transition from pure OSE to MKS+OSE or b) a hybrid setup where you want to keep using the OSE ore-> MatKits chain alongside other elements of MKS.

(The same logic applies to keeping the EL survey-station functionality in MKS modules, IMO: it doesn't really cost anything, and it smooths transition enormously. You don't want to release a new version that suddenly leaves players with established, functioning bases that suddenly lack survey stations unless you really have to.)

The extra drill buttons sound like a definite bug, though. I'm not running OSE myself, but if that's replicable it sounds PR-worthy.

16 hours ago, Terwin said:

Farmers help you make organics, you need a biologist or a scientist to help with making supplies.

See the table on this page:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS/wiki/Crew-Skills-Impact-on-Parts

Also having two or 3 of the same thing will only help colonization bonuses, not production.  Production only considers the highest starred kerbal on board with the appropriate skill.

Doh!  Farmers = Agriculture seemed so obvious I never bothered to check.  That'll teach me...

Many thanks!

Hi Roverdude- Has something changed to the Astronaut Complex ?

I've a recently started Science game woth experience enabled and can not longer recruit 0 exp crew - and instead of the stock menu, I have one that selects types, and text at the bottom of the menu tells me that I have to have 5* crew. 

Love the mods by the way, adds some much extra game play.

23 hours ago, Terwin said:

If you have hungry kerbals, there is nothing you can do to keep them from breaking into your stored food-stuffs, so locking the only available food will never work.

If your Kerbals have plenty of other food, your container does not have either type of warehousing turned on and you have turned off flow(the arrow that turns off fuel flow) then it sounds like a bug and should probably be reported on github so RoverDude has a reminder to take a look at it.

I was able to reproduce this behavior in a vanilla (almost) install as shown in this imgur album. Do you think I should report it in GitHub as a bug or a feature request?

http://imgur.com/a/nK96y

PS If I turn off flow (red marker next to resource bar) nothing changes.

Edited by LastStarDust

When I downloaded the mod and installed it, it gave me only the kontainers and drills from the mod. It does not give me any of the main modules from the mod. I have tried multiple file configurations and nothing seems to work. I am also on a mac if that helps. Can anyone help me?

Edited by Morojjanc jockey
Bad grammar

Hey all!

Just reinstalled KSP today and enjoying the new features so of course went right to install MKS to being building my stations. Was trying out the new Ranger modules when I noticed half the modules I saw from researching are not available at the VAB. Also noticed for the inflatable modules I cant cycle through the settings at all.

Last time I was in KSP I remember having an issue similar to this and had to install a specific mod to correct the issue but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the mod, nor find any information on the wiki or forums to allude to this.

Any assisstance would be appreciated. I used CKAN to install so I can attempt to manually reinstall, but I ask before I do that if it would potentially screw up my current save file or not.

Thanks!

And a second thanks to RoverDude as always, love the mods!

1 hour ago, Morojjanc jockey said:

When I downloaded the mod and installed it, it gave me only the kontainers and drills from the mod. It does not give me any of the main modules from the mod. I have tried multiple file configurations and nothing seems to work. I am also on a mac if that helps. Can anyone help me?

56 minutes ago, FalconX3 said:

Hey all!

Just reinstalled KSP today and enjoying the new features so of course went right to install MKS to being building my stations. Was trying out the new Ranger modules when I noticed half the modules I saw from researching are not available at the VAB. Also noticed for the inflatable modules I cant cycle through the settings at all.

Last time I was in KSP I remember having an issue similar to this and had to install a specific mod to correct the issue but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the mod, nor find any information on the wiki or forums to allude to this.

Any assisstance would be appreciated. I used CKAN to install so I can attempt to manually reinstall, but I ask before I do that if it would potentially screw up my current save file or not.

Thanks!

And a second thanks to RoverDude as always, love the mods!

Install manually from GitHub (latest release, link on the USI Catalog Page).  Put the stuff in GameData in your GameData folder.  Do not omit or change or move anything.