[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

I can't decide whether or not I want to use SCANSat... any recommendations? I've tried both the stock resource scanning system, and SCANSat, and both seem to have advantages and disadvantages. Has anyone had really good experience one way or the other in finding optimal base locations?

2 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Wouldn't work in my case, the lander was just too long and heavy. Even six 2.5m reaction wheels weren't enough to keep it stable.

You'd be surprised what a ring of inflatable floatation devices at the back end will do. It'll wobble about, but each time a cushion gets into the plasma stream it'll kick it back in line.

I like having a mix of Kerbals, but most of the ones I've had contracts to save since downloading the mod have been Kolony-related.  Is there a way to tweak the ratios?  The original Kerbals had much higher G-force resistances and I like to use them for most basic missions.  Thanks!

13 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

I can't decide whether or not I want to use SCANSat... any recommendations? I've tried both the stock resource scanning system, and SCANSat, and both seem to have advantages and disadvantages. Has anyone had really good experience one way or the other in finding optimal base locations?

You'd be surprised what a ring of inflatable floatation devices at the back end will do. It'll wobble about, but each time a cushion gets into the plasma stream it'll kick it back in line.

I like the maps that scansat generates.  But honestly I haven't bothered loading scansat in the last few saves.

25 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

Is there variation within biomes? I've never found any if there is.

Inflatable heat shields are actually quite tricky, and enjoy flipping upside-down to become inflatable parachutes, I've found. A solution is to put one at either end, or to use other inflatables at the back to increase drag at the rear. Also be sure to move the heat shield up as far as you can without clipping into other parts.

Yep, biomes have a bit of simplex noise (fully configurable) built in.

And the inflatable heat shield is really meant for low-profile stuff like heavy rovers.  Too much mass in the back and yes you will flip :)

5 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Unrelated - wrapping up goodies for a release.  It also includes a ton of USI-LS fixes this go around :)

Does this include a fix for the permanent hab bug? Editing the persistence is getting irritating.

(P.S. I'll be away for a week)

3 hours ago, TauPhraim said:

Are there any remaining known bugs with the habitat functionality/timers ?

Not that I am aware of.

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

Does this include a fix for the permanent hab bug? Editing the persistence is getting irritating.

(P.S. I'll be away for a week)

What permanent hab bug?

I made a quick search on this forum and on the wiki and found that EL iintegration will be deprecated in favor of Ground Contruction, at least that is what I understood. But for now, theres is no conflict and the MKS EL parts still exists and fucntion. But as of now, how is the interection between MKS and EL or OSE Workshop? There still use/need for them? Thanks in advance and sorry if I missed something!

1 minute ago, VaPaL said:

I made a quick search on this forum and on the wiki and found that EL iintegration will be deprecated in favor of Ground Contruction, at least that is what I understood. But for now, theres is no conflict and the MKS EL parts still exists and fucntion. But as of now, how is the interection between MKS and EL or OSE Workshop? There still use/need for them? Thanks in advance and sorry if I missed something!

OSE remains a recommended mod with full support.  Ground Construction is, as you noted, bundled.  There is no EL conflict, but the parts themselves are legacy and the integration config will be removed as of the next release, and be an optional download.  So EL users can just go ahead and use EL with no conflicts and no surprises, and grab an alternate config if they want tighter integration (but one that changes how EL behaves).

4 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

OSE remains a recommended mod with full support.  Ground Construction is, as you noted, bundled.  There is no EL conflict, but the parts themselves are legacy and the integration config will be removed as of the next release, and be an optional download.  So EL users can just go ahead and use EL with no conflicts and no surprises, and grab an alternate config if they want tighter integration (but one that changes how EL behaves).

Is there going to be in situ DIY kit production mechanic? Because its absence is currently the only reason why I use EL instead of GC.

Edited by sh1pman

Also, OSE is a little bit OP in my opinion, because it doesn't require specialized parts to build things. So you can just land a 5m KIS container and print everything you want, even 3.75m Tundra parts with just MaterialKits that are trivially easy to produce.

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

Also, OSE is a little bit OP in my opinion, because it doesn't require specialized parts to build things. So you can just land a 5m KIS container and print everything you want, even 3.75m Tundra parts with just MaterialKits that are trivially easy to produce.

Wouldn't that be better to bring up in the OSE thread?  Especially considering @RoverDude doesn't maintain that mod?

That being said, yes while you can print pretty big things (as long as it fits in a KIS container), you still can print complete crafts and you have to try and assemble things on EVA, which can be tough with really big/heavy parts.

1 minute ago, goldenpsp said:

Wouldn't that be better to bring up in the OSE thread?  Especially considering @RoverDude doesn't maintain that mod

It wouldn't, because OSE doesn't care about MKS balance, and doesn't even have means to produce specialized parts to begin with. That being said, I'm fine with what it is, just pointing out some of the obvious balance inconsistencies between OSE, EL and GC. 

5 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

That being said, yes while you can print pretty big things (as long as it fits in a KIS container), you still can print complete crafts and you have to try and assemble things on EVA, which can be tough with really big/heavy parts.

Fortunately, PAL rovers exist!

Actually, OSE has a more expensive path to Material Kits than MKS does (i.e. OSE requires RareMetals and ExoticMinerals).   My mistake for missing this bit when I redid some of the conversions.  So the right (least disruptive) answer may be to level set it, and add Specialized Parts to the recipe for OSE modules used when MKS is present, given that MatKits are used for a lot of other things (GC and MKS module expansion for example), and I am very careful these days about any large breaking change given how close we are to '1.0' status.

I'd add that OSE/MKS have really good synergy, and @ObiVanDamme has been pretty awesome to work with.  The whole reason we even have MaterialKits is because of OSE :)

[Edit] Darn, looks like the workshop is based on a single resource.  So I'll have to noodle over something else.  

Edited by RoverDude

7 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Actually, OSE has a more expensive path to Material Kits than MKS does (i.e. OSE requires RareMetals and ExoticMinerals).   My mistake for missing this bit when I redid some of the conversions.  So the right (least disruptive) answer may be to level set it, and add Specialized Parts to the recipe for OSE modules used when MKS is present, given that MatKits are used for a lot of other things (GC and MKS module expansion for example), and I am very careful these days about any large breaking change given how close we are to '1.0' status.

I'd add that OSE/MKS have really good synergy, and @ObiVanDamme has been pretty awesome to work with.  The whole reason we even have MaterialKits is because of OSE :)

[Edit] Darn, looks like the workshop is based on a single resource.  So I'll have to noodle over something else.  

It sometimes requires additional resources like ore or exotic minerals, depending on the part category. Maybe something can be derived from that?

1 minute ago, sh1pman said:

It sometimes requires additional resources like ore or exotic minerals, depending on the part category. Maybe something can be derived from that?

Good point :)  Let me poke around the configs.

I know this is a horrible thing to say, but, I just really like the parts. I play rather casually, and is there a separate parts pack? Or easier still, is it possible for me to just cut out the non parts stuff on my own without wasting your time.

Wonderful parts btw, I love the habs.

Just now, SessoSaidSo said:

I know this is a horrible thing to say, but, I just really like the parts. I play rather casually, and is there a separate parts pack? Or easier still, is it possible for me to just cut out the non parts stuff on my own without wasting your time.

The simplest thing you could do is delete all .dll files. The next step is to find and delete all ModuleManager config files - unfortunately those end in ".cfg", just like the parts ."cfg" which are required.

You could probably delete the .dlls and then write an MM file to modify all the configs.

That said - without USI-LS, you could likely just ignore the MKS mechanics and play.  The only thing that will really affect you much is the Kolonization bonuses.  I think you could even set those to zeros in MKS/Settings.cfg and ignore them as well.  (I may try that...)

Well... Yes, technically, but that won't get you any parts since they're in the same folder.

Download and install MKS but not USI-LS, and that should work okay for you. It'll add some extra kerbal classes that you don't care about, mind, so if you're super into rescue missions maybe delete the .dlls after all.

5 minutes ago, SessoSaidSo said:

Oh, so I can just leasve out the USI folder and be fine?

Depends on 'fine'.  The parts will exist.  Likely they'll not animate or process things correctly.  Some of that can be fixed with MM or by hand.  The biggest problems will be the inflatable parts - there's no stock function that can handle that.

Oh, and there's a .dll in the MKS folder as well.

If you want to get rid of the extra Kerbal classes, you need to remove Kolonist.cfg.  That's where they are defined.