[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

I stopped by to express my congratulations for how the Logistics mechanics has evolved in the last version of MKS. Now (for my taste) the current status has reached perfection. I am finally able to do everything I ever wanted to. I only wished that all the new resources in KSPI-E were also planetary logistics enabled ... but that is daydreaming. Thanks a lot for the good work.

20 minutes ago, Fury1SOG said:

Has anyone noticed a problem with the Karibou support struts extending by themselves after a scene change?

Also, the "Deploy" and "Retract" buttons are appearing at the same time.

Make sure you have the very latest USI Tools - it should not be doing this.

5 hours ago, Kaa253 said:

Good grief @Omnipius. What is your PC!

Are you running KSP on Titan at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory or something :confused: ?

Gratz. Your exploitation of off-world resources is most impressive.

Actually, I run KSP on my work laptop, an HP Z-book, off of an external USB 3.0 SSD. The massive number of converter bays does cause a substantial performance hit, though rendering seems like it couldn't care less. Incoming vessels hang for a few minutes when they enter physics range...

1 hour ago, Gilph said:

@Omnipius, that is one awesome base...I think I'm betting base envy....

I would love to know your EC consumption rate.

As would I. Probably somewhere well above 10k ec/s. Did I mention that a module set entirely to one converter runs at 1000% efficiency? Interestingly enough this efficiency is only volumetric. As the "efficiency" increases, so does the EC demand. This is pretty much the entire reason for the second 3.75m reactor. 

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

@Omnipius did you build your minmus base with EL, GC or OSE?

All EL so far. Same with the orbital shipyard. I shipped up MaterialKits and Specialized Parts in 128000 and 15000 kg at a time, constructed each module on the standard EL orbital pad, then maneuvered them into position. BTW: Having multiple asteroids docked simultaneously is really unstable both in physics and ISRU. That section has a tendency to spontaneously sever itself from the rest of the station with no input force. It just glitches apart. It always looks like maybe the Tundra variable endcaps might be to blame for that, but there's no way to be sure. Also and more troubling, ISRU with multiple asteroids gets horribly confused. You extend a drill into one asteroid and it will extract ore unevenly from all of them until one is depleted. At that point, it won't let you extract from any of them unless you cut the spent asteroid loose. 

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

Make sure you have the very latest USI Tools - it should not be doing this.

@RoverDude, thanks for your reply!

I am using v0.8.18.0 of the USI Tools. I do not remember seeing the Karibou struts behave this way a month or so ago. 

I tried quickly uninstalling some recently updated mods in case there was a conflict, but couldn't find the cause. The interesting thing is that although the Karibou cockpit has struts too, the problem doesn't occur. Just the other Karibou parts seem to exhibit the problem.

I will try to continue deleting mods and report back my findings.

13 minutes ago, TDplay said:

What is a geothermal well?

Assuming you mean for the heat pump, it's just flavour text-all it needs to work is some kind of ground contact. Not sure of the maths for the exact cooling rate, though. IRL it works of the basis of part=hot, ground=cold and water pumped around the part will cool it down and then the water is then pumped through the cool rocks to cool it back down again.

And @RoverDude the Karibou legs do that for me as well, and have been doing so since I started using MKS in v0.50.8 (with both MKS and USITools up to date).

Edited by voicey99

6 minutes ago, TDplay said:

What is a geothermal well?

You dig a hole into the ground, and run pipes through it.  Then you can make use of the fact that there's a temperature differential between the surface and underground - either to heat things up, or to cool things off, or both, depending on the circumstances.  (Most places on Earth the underground temperature, once you're a few feet down, is fairly constant year-round, so for a house you can use it cool your house in the summer and heat it in the winter.  But they also get used to generate electricity near volcanic areas, where the ground is hot.)

The ranger heat pump uses it to dump heat into the body you're landed on - which will be much more efficient than radiators, as it can use conductive heat transfer instead of radiative.

3 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Assuming you mean for the heat pump, it's just flavour text-all it needs to work is some kind of ground contact. Not sure of the maths for the exact cooling rate, though.

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

You dig a hole into the ground, and run pipes through it.  Then you can make use of the fact that there's a temperature differential between the surface and underground - either to heat things up, or to cool things off, or both, depending on the circumstances.  (Most places on Earth the underground temperature, once you're a few feet down, is fairly constant year-round, so for a house you can use it cool your house in the summer and heat it in the winter.  But they also get used to generate electricity near volcanic areas, where the ground is hot.)

The ranger heat pump uses it to dump heat into the body you're landed on - which will be much more efficient than radiators, as it can use conductive heat transfer instead of radiative.

Ok, thanks, so it's just a mechanic to make ranger heat pumps need to be landed and be better in some places. Thanks!

How do I find the best areas to use Ranger heat pumps?

14 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Then the desc is misleading. Is this a planned near-future mechanic?

The description is flavor-text, and doesn't say anything about needing to locate geothermal wells.  It's no more misleading than not getting a notepad in your inventory when you attach a Science Jr.

34 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The description is flavor-text, and doesn't say anything about needing to locate geothermal wells.  It's no more misleading than not getting a notepad in your inventory when you attach a Science Jr.

I mean the part of the description that states it works better on cold planets and during nights.

Edited by voicey99

5 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I mean the part of the description that states it works better on cold planets and during nights.

It does have that effect, but no more or less than a normal radiator (i.e. it has a minor effect on core heat)

Just now, RoverDude said:

It does have that effect, but no more or less than a normal radiator (i.e. it has a minor effect on core heat)

Assuming you mean crust temperature and time, are you saying it does indeed vary slightly (if so, numbers?)?

11 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Assuming you mean crust temperature and time, are you saying it does indeed vary slightly (if so, numbers?)?

Whatever stock uses for regular radiators, don't have numbers handy but I expect you would see them in the debug window.  What's the root issue? 

2 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Whatever stock uses for regular radiators, don't have numbers handy but I expect you would see them in the debug window.  What's the root issue? 

So that geothermal cooler is just a normal radiator? Seriously, I'm confused here.

Just now, TDplay said:

So that geothermal cooler is just a normal radiator? Seriously, I'm confused here.

It's a subclass of an active radiator, with the only difference being that it can dump a lot of heat and has to be landed.  But beyond that, it still follows all of the rules of an active radiator.

4 minutes ago, RoverDude said:

Like @TDplay, I'm not sure of the premise. Basically, are you saying the HP is just a really good, glorified radiator or it more than that? Does the cooling rate vary with temperature as much as stock radiators do, or does it follow its own mechanics?

(unrelated for the thread in general)

So if you were to hypothetically get some larger, more permanent modules, what kind would you want to see first?  What kind would you like to see in general?  And if anyone has concept art ideas (movies, books, etc.), now would be a good time to show them off :D

Also unrelated.

Chugging ahead with a very large code surprise to go along with big bases that will be the foundational bit for interplanetary resource sharing, as well as other goodies.