[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

7 minutes ago, Phil Kerman said:

Do I have to attach radiators directly to the unit I want to cool down, or is it irrelevant? (Expanding my base on Iota and need to cool down the nuclear power plant + several drills/ISRU processors) 

That depends on the radiators.  The stock fixed-panel radiators only cool the part they are attached to (and any parts attached to it).  The stock extendable radiators can cool down the entire vessel.

Non-stock radiators may follow either one of those behaviors, depending on the radiator.

The folding stock radiators cool the entire vessel, the ones that don't move have a note in the tooltip that talks about only the nearby part and I think only cools its parent, so I imagine that modded radiators follow those same rules, just make sure the radiator doesn't have the note about nearby parts.

ETA : That was very synchronized posting, so what DStaal said :P

Edited by Krakatoa
combined follow up post when I made it, clarified

16 minutes ago, Phil Kerman said:

Do I have to attach radiators directly to the unit I want to cool down, or is it irrelevant? (Expanding my base on Iota and need to cool down the nuclear power plant + several drills/ISRU processors) 

Depends on the radiator type.

*snip* Jinja'd

Edited by Baladain

Do we have hard numbers for how much a unit of Colony supplies will affect the hab/home time of a kerbal?

Do we even know if the ratio is constant between med-bay vs 2.5m vs 3.75m colonization modules? 

Does the consumption of colony supplies by Colonization modules go down when the hab timers are all maxed out?  (if not, does anyone know the ratio of active/inactive time that maximized the utility of your colony supplies?)

Seems like good information to put into the wiki, but unlike the manufacturing parts, I do not think all of the information is present in the config files.

It would be nice to be able to to determine if/when it is more weight-efficient to rely on colony supplies for a mission as opposed to bulk hab-time/multipliers, much like we can determine when it is better to rely on basic supplies vs a fertilizer cycle.

29 minutes ago, Phil Kerman said:

THX DStaal & Krakatoa & Baladain :wink: 

I remember that I already solved that problem when I visited Thalia, but wasn´t sure if there´s a possibility to cool the entire vessel. 

Note the stats. Deployables have a higher total cooling and can cool the whole vessel, but the latter is a major drawback when working with MKS. The "Core Heat Transfer" stat denotes the max cooling that can be applied to a single part, and MKS drills will hog huge amounts of radiator capacity (since their max cooling is set very high to cover their cooling needs to to 1000% load), leaving nothing for everything else, which then overheats. I would recommend using deployables for drills and fixed panels for everything else on the vessel (especially reactors). The heat pump is the best and is above all of these issues, but can only be used when landed.

8 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Note the stats. Deployables have a higher total cooling and can cool the whole vessel, but the latter is a major drawback when working with MKS. The "Core Heat Transfer" stat denotes the max cooling that can be applied to a single part, and MKS drills will hog huge amounts of radiator capacity (since their max cooling is set very high to cover their cooling needs to to 1000% load), leaving nothing for everything else, which then overheats. I would recommend using deployables for drills and fixed panels for everything else on the vessel (especially reactors). The heat pump is the best and is above all of these issues, but can only be used when landed.

That might be the reason, why some of my panels exploded on my IOTA base. Had to shut down my nuclear plant.

Just now, Phil Kerman said:

That might be the reason, why some of my panels exploded on my IOTA base. Had to shut down my nuclear plant.

I've had issues with this melting my reactors before, attaching some radiator panels with KIS solved the problem. I'll edit this post after I've done some maths on req'd cooling for each part.

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

I've had issues with this melting my reactors before, attaching some radiator panels with KIS solved the problem. I'll edit this post after I've done some maths on req'd cooling for each part.

I´ll bring my Industrial Refinery & Ind. Regolith Sifter to IOTA now, equipped with 2 huge folding radiators and some radiators to attach with KIS. I´ll post a pic when everything is done. 

Just now, Phil Kerman said:

I´ll bring my Industrial Refinery & Ind. Regolith Sifter to IOTA now, equipped with 2 huge folding radiators and some radiators to attach with KIS. I´ll post a pic when everything is done. 

MKS processing parts don't require cooling. Only drills and reactors do (it will tell you in the VAB if these parts have heat mechanics). Note the Mobile Processing Units will be getting heat mechanics next update, so be sure to launch them with radiators.

Just now, voicey99 said:

MKS processing parts don't require cooling. Only drills and reactors do (it will tell you in the VAB if these parts have heat mechanics). Note the Mobile Processing Units will be getting heat mechanics next update, so be sure to launch them with radiators.

Yes, I know (I read the descriptions :wink: in the VAB), but theres a lot of other stuff already attached to my base that requires cooling. 

18 hours ago, Baladain said:

Has anyone done a breakdown of how many of each refining bay are necessary for self sufficiency?

*edited* the remainder of the original comment has been deleted due to math fail.  That being said, if anyone has created a calc to solve this, I would appreciate a link before I spend hours making one on my own.

If you are looking for Machinery only, it can be as easy as 2 refineries, one assembly, one workshop.  The six refinery bays are metals, polymers, chemicals, two silicons and RE. you will be short on chemicals and silicon, and you will need to start and stop things to keep them balanced. If you can handle a third refinery, then have three chemicals, three silicon, and one of the rest. Have the assembly make CS, machinery, SP, and the warehouse will make MK.  As your bonuses increase, you can lock the Machinery on the assembly and workshop and lower it to tune your output.  Eventually, you can get things balanced.

If you want Colony Supplies, you will need eight bays just for organics.

If you're going to use fixed panels to work around the heat issues, here is a table of the minimum number of each type of radiator you need to cool each reactor at full blast:

//////////////////// Small Radiators Large Radiators Edge Radiators
0.625m 4 1 2
1.25m Short 4 1 2
1.25m 8 2 3
2.5m 16 4 6
3.75m 32 8 11
Either PDU 4 1 2
Edited by voicey99

8 minutes ago, EV_SkyFall said:

We can drill RareMetal on the KSC Runway.

Is this intended?

<schnip>

Kerbin has all the resources just like every other planet, but they are intended to be used for testing purposes only. It's up to you whether you feel like exploiting this for 0.000001% legit cash.

Edited by voicey99
GRAMMAH

Looking for mathematical values for how the following affect mining/manufacturing.  Can anyone help?

Kerbal Rank, Colonization rating, Efficiency part mass

I'd like to incorporate these into my efficiency calc if possible.

Speaking of which:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VNjzKn8w9q7PJMy0fHE91Q_XF-xBQ0BxziR8lk-o-J0/edit?usp=sharing

Fixed the refined exotics recipe and its corresponding error on the wiki.

@Gilph According to my math you need 7 organics bays (assuming substrate), not 8.  Double check me?  This may be due to organics no longer being an input for the organic production recipe.

9 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Is there any reason why I should ever bother producing colony supplies instead of just building more habs?

Kerbal breeding program in the Colonization module.

4 hours ago, Gilph said:

If you are looking for Machinery only, it can be as easy as 2 refineries, one assembly, one workshop.  The six refinery bays are metals, polymers, chemicals, two silicons and RE. you will be short on chemicals and silicon, and you will need to start and stop things to keep them balanced. If you can handle a third refinery, then have three chemicals, three silicon, and one of the rest. Have the assembly make CS, machinery, SP, and the warehouse will make MK.  As your bonuses increase, you can lock the Machinery on the assembly and workshop and lower it to tune your output.  Eventually, you can get things balanced.

The second picture on the Wiki Resource's page shows this layout for machinery.

8 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

But... does it take colony supplies to breed kerbals?

RoverDude said you needed to have the colonization module active to breed kerbals, and I took that to mean turned on and supplied with colony supplies.

Logged MKS #1245  Looks like 2.5m and 3.75m med-bays both have crew capacity 4, making it impossible for the 3.75m part to treat 12 as the description claims.

(Duna and 2.5m part may also have inaccurate descriptions if Scientist must also be in the module)

Also updated wiki 'Med-bay and colony supplies' entry to include Duna med-bay, and all 3 colonization modules.

Edited by Terwin

33 minutes ago, Terwin said:

RoverDude said you needed to have the colonization module active to breed kerbals, and I took that to mean turned on and supplied with colony supplies.

For breading you need 2 Kerbals of opposite Genders and time(Kerbyear) + Aktivated Colony Growth option, Colony Supplies are needed for hab and Home Upgrade and freeze in Colony Module or for reset touristifikation at MedBay . It was mentioned some Pages before.

Funny Kabooms

Urses

Edited by Urses