[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

5 minutes ago, GeriX said:

Hello,

not sure if this was asked yet, but for some reason, when I load the game up, the loadingscreen freezes at:

"UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Spaces/Salamander_IVA/SalamanderInternal"

There is no crash, so no report.

Version is 1.2.2. and I already tried installing it new, etc.

Any idea what I could do?

Thanks for help!

How long did you wait for it to unfreeze? The Salamander pod is typically the last part to be loaded, and the hang is the game going onto the next stage of loading. It's quite possible that you are trying to run KSP on a potato and it just takes some time to finish the loading process, else it's run out of memory (check the last few lines of ksp.log, it should be pretty obvious).

I`ve got an i7 and 8gb of ram, so I don´t think, thats the issue..

However, those are the last lines of the log:

[LOG 23:51:59.392] PartLoader: Compiling Internal Space 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/LifeSupport/Spaces/ViewingCupola_Internall/ViewingCupolaInternal'
[LOG 23:51:59.394] PartLoader: Compiling Internal Space 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Spaces/Salamander_IVA/SalamanderInternal'
[LOG 23:51:59.396] Cannot find InternalProp 'ledPanelSpeed'
[LOG 23:51:59.397] Cannot find InternalProp 'AltimeterThreeHands'
[LOG 23:51:59.397] Cannot find InternalProp 'RadarAltimeter'
[LOG 23:51:59.398] Cannot find InternalProp 'AtmosphereDepth'
[LOG 23:51:59.399] Cannot find InternalProp 'VSI'
[LOG 23:51:59.399] Cannot find InternalProp 'NavBall'
[LOG 23:51:59.400] Cannot find InternalProp 'IndicatorPanel'
[LOG 23:51:59.400] Cannot find InternalProp 'Compass'
[LOG 23:51:59.401] Cannot find InternalProp 'ledPanelSpeed'
[LOG 23:51:59.401] Cannot find InternalProp 'AltimeterThreeHands'
[LOG 23:51:59.402] Cannot find InternalProp 'RadarAltimeter'
[LOG 23:51:59.402] Cannot find InternalProp 'AtmosphereDepth'
[LOG 23:51:59.403] Cannot find InternalProp 'VSI'
[LOG 23:51:59.403] Cannot find InternalProp 'NavBall'
[LOG 23:51:59.404] Cannot find InternalProp 'IndicatorPanel'
[LOG 23:51:59.404] Cannot find InternalProp 'Compass'

Above this, there are about 1000 more of "Cannot find InternalProb"

Guess thats the issue?

Thanks for your reply!

I tried deleting it, but I keep getting the same, but from another file - all of IVA views of the mod.

Seems to be a problem, with all Files inside the "Spaces" Folders of the mod.

Edit: It apparently also has the same issue with the FASA mod.. So the error doesn´t ly in USI

Edited by GeriX

1 hour ago, GeriX said:

I`ve got an i7 and 8gb of ram, so I don´t think, thats the issue..

However, those are the last lines of the log:

Above this, there are about 1000 more of "Cannot find InternalProb"

Guess thats the issue?

Thanks for your reply!

Looks like you have deleted the Squad folder which contains most of the game. Don't do that, ever.

Note to self:

Next time you create a new GameData folder for a new modpack, copy the Squad folder as well..:blink:

Thanks for that!

So the loading screen works, but then I get a blackscreen, with the "Loading..." symbol in the bottom right, but it loads forever :o

3 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Specify?

I don't have the game up right now to give the numbers, but go into the VAB or SPH and look at the % for recycling and number of crew effected for the science lab. It's only at 50% I think, but the wiki stuff says it's something like 70%. It also only effects 4, not 5 kerbals. There was another part that was off also, but I don't recall which one right now.

Just now, Vorg said:

I don't have the game up right now to give the numbers, but go into the VAB or SPH and look at the % for recycling and number of crew effected for the science lab. It's only at 50% I think, but the wiki stuff says it's something like 70%. It also only effects 4, not 5 kerbals. There was another part that was off also, but I don't recall which one right now.

Next time you have the game open it would be great if you could open an issue at http://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/issues with the exact details of what is wrong.

2 hours ago, GeriX said:

Note to self:

Next time you create a new GameData folder for a new modpack, copy the Squad folder as well..:blink:

Thanks for that!

So the loading screen works, but then I get a blackscreen, with the "Loading..." symbol in the bottom right, but it loads forever :o

Also be careful creating new gamedata folders.  the location matters and multiple gamedata folders is bad.  Honestly I find it better to just make separate KSP folders for different modded versions. Benefit is they are all playable copies of the game.

7 hours ago, Vorg said:

I can't find any mention of the MPL in the LS page on the kspedia, and all the numbers for the other recyclers are correct-unless you are using exclusively USI-LS, in which case the kspedia entry might be different? Anyway, this would probably be one for the USI-LS thread. If it's definitely broken, make a ticket.

On 28.3.2017 at 2:55 AM, RoverDude said:

Good stuff, got some ideas already, but keep 'em coming and by all means keep the discussion rolling.

Not sure if you're still looking for ideas, but I just tried to make an interplanetary transporter for a large number (50 or so) of kerbals.

I found that it's pretty easy to get decent hab time with the inflatables, however there's no large scale USI-LS recycling facility to ensure that all crew benefit from a recycler. Basically the "best" solution at the moment is to spam dozens of the lightweight RT-500 modules in addition to one high-efficiency recycler like a Kerbitat to set the cap.

So it'd be nice to have a high throughput recycler, with a low efficiency, low EC cost and low mass per kerbal supported comparable to the RT-500. Basically something like the RT-500 scaled up to 10x or 20x. Or maybe just adding recycler configuration options to the inflatable habs and hab rings; everything that can be a greenhouse efficiency part would also be nice to have a recycler option in addition.

Planetary logistics is doing something that I did not expect and I was wondering if someone could confirm that this is working as intended (or as well as can be expected considering the limits of what you can do with a mod).

I have a main base on laythe that extracts and processes all materials except for substrate.  Substrate is extracted from a remote mining base that is about 40km away.  Planetary logistics works in the sense that I *can* get the substrate from the remote base through planetary logistics... but only when i focus on the remote base.  If the main base is in focus, I drain my substrate supplies to zero and wont receive anymore until I refocus the remote base for a half of a second.  Is this proper behavior?

Extra info:

• Main base has a Duna logistics center with a pilot inside.
  • The main base has an empty container for substrate attached to the logistics center
  • The main base has an active polymer converter attached to both of the above.
  • The remote base has a duna logistics center with no kerbals onboard (although I did test it with a pilot inside.  results were the same)
  • remote base has substrate container that is about 3/4s full when I focus on it
  • focusing on the remote base causes the pool of substrate within planetary logistics to change from zero to about half of the amount that would be available within the remote base if it's container was full.
  • now focusing on the main base causes about half of the new planetary logistics pool to transfer to the main base substrate supply container.
  • eventually the planetary logistics substrate pool goes back to zero and the cycle repeats

4 minutes ago, Uberns said:

Planetary logistics is doing something that I did not expect and I was wondering if someone could confirm that this is working as intended (or as well as can be expected considering the limits of what you can do with a mod).

I have a main base on laythe that extracts and processes all materials except for substrate.  Substrate is extracted from a remote mining base that is about 40km away.  Planetary logistics works in the sense that I *can* get the substrate from the remote base through planetary logistics... but only when i focus on the remote base.  If the main base is in focus, I drain my substrate supplies to zero and wont receive anymore until I refocus the remote base for a half of a second.  Is this proper behavior?

Yep.  Remember: Background ships don't actually exist, and they aren't doing anything.  This keeps KSP from having to simulate intentionally hundreds of ships at a time.

So the remote base isn't actually producing anything until you focus on it.  Then it quickly plays pretend to do everything since the last time you looked at it.  This is normal behavior of KSP.

8 minutes ago, Uberns said:

<schnip>

Have you considered that you might be using more substrate than your outpust is producing? A stock behaviour is also that the outpost will not do anything while it is unloaded, you will have to periodically check in on it to trigger the resource catchup and make it push its backdated production to PL (note: kontainers will only push to PL when they fill up, and then only push half at a time). You also need storage for at least a day's worth of production as not to lose resources in the catchup.

EDIT: Get @DStaal with the ninjapost :P

Edited by voicey99

16 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

Also be careful creating new gamedata folders.  the location matters and multiple gamedata folders is bad.  Honestly I find it better to just make separate KSP folders for different modded versions. Benefit is they are all playable copies of the game.

I always renamed the old one and named the new pack GameData, worked so far(other times I didn´t forget the squad folder).

So now it loads up good, but after the Loading screen I get a blackscreen with the loading symbol("Loading..." and the miniature solarsystem) in the lower right corner.

It stays loading for ever(had it running for more than 1h), is that because of RAM?

EDIT:

Log says this:

[LOG 19:24:33.277] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 19:24:33.294] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 19:24:33.310] Look rotation viewing vector is zero
[LOG 19:24:33.310] Look rotation viewing vector is zero

EDIT EDIT:

Fixed it, was because some missing files in another mod...Thanks for your help, yall! :D

Edited by GeriX

19 minutes ago, GeriX said:

I always renamed the old one and named the new pack GameData, worked so far(other times I didn´t forget the squad folder).

So now it loads up good, but after the Loading screen I get a blackscreen with the loading symbol("Loading..." and the miniature solarsystem) in the lower right corner.

It stays loading for ever(had it running for more than 1h), is that because of RAM?

In theory copying/replacing the GameData folder should work, as long as you start from a clean stock install each time.

Something though isn't working correctly for you here - I'm completely overloaded with mods and it still doesn't take more than ~30 minutes to load, and from the loading screen to the start screen is nearly immediate.  I would recommend you start with a clean install of KSP and try there, to make sure you haven't accidentally messed something up.

1 hour ago, DStaal said:

Yep.  Remember: Background ships don't actually exist, and they aren't doing anything.  This keeps KSP from having to simulate intentionally hundreds of ships at a time.

So the remote base isn't actually producing anything until you focus on it.  Then it quickly plays pretend to do everything since the last time you looked at it.  This is normal behavior of KSP.

1 hour ago, voicey99 said:

Have you considered that you might be using more substrate than your outpust is producing? A stock behaviour is also that the outpost will not do anything while it is unloaded, you will have to periodically check in on it to trigger the resource catchup and make it push its backdated production to PL (note: kontainers will only push to PL when they fill up, and then only push half at a time). You also need storage for at least a day's worth of production as not to lose resources in the catchup.

EDIT: Get @DStaal with the ninjapost :P

@DStaal @voicey99 Thanks for clearing that up =).  @voicey99 what do you mean that I need a certain amount of storage to not lose resources?  Are you saying that when it catches up it will only push once?  (as in if i had a tiny storage container and stayed away long enough for it to have filled up 5 times, it would not push 5 times?).  Or I guess a better way of asking this would be what is your prefered method for handling your outposts so that you have to jump to it as infrequently as possible?

I'm trying to make a module manager patch to replace supplies in the storage containers with TAC-LS resources, and I've run into a problem with the inflatables.  The resource amount is only increased if the base resource amount is less than the inflated multiplier, so the oxygen and carbon dioxide tanks are not expanded when the part inflates.

I found the offending line of code in the ExpandResourceCapacity() method in USITools.USIAnimation.  Is it keeping anything from breaking?

2 minutes ago, Uberns said:

@DStaal @voicey99 Thanks for clearing that up =).  @voicey99 what do you mean that I need a certain amount of storage to not lose resources?  Are you saying that when it catches up it will only push once?  (as in if i had a tiny storage container and stayed away long enough for it to have filled up 5 times, it would not push 5 times?).  Or I guess a better way of asking this would be what is your prefered method for handling your outposts so that you have to jump to it as infrequently as possible?

KSP looks at 6 hours of production at a time when going through the catch up process. If you don't have enough storage for 6 hours, you will lose all the resources you didn't have space for. 

1 minute ago, Uberns said:

The catch-up processing happens in 6-hour batches.  (As as been said by the ninja. :wink: )  As long as you have enough space for it to handle six hours of work (note that's free space, and PL only pushes *half* to storage...), you won't lose anything.  If you have less storage space than that, things will run out.  It will do everything multiple times if it's been more than six hours - but it doesn't scale that size.

I'd make sure your outposts have enough storage for *13* hours (six hours processing, store half, and give a bit of a margin...).  You'll need to jump to it as frequently as it's production can be used up, so higher production is good.  :wink:

4 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

KSP looks at 6 hours of production at a time when going through the catch up process. If you don't have enough storage for 6 hours, you will lose all the resources you didn't have space for. 

Does this mean that if i have storage for 6 hours of production and i stay away for 24 hours that it will push 24 hours worth of resources (minus what stays in the container at the end of the catch up)?  Or will it still only push 6 hours worth?

edit: answered at like the exact same time as i typed this haha

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

The catch-up processing happens in 6-hour batches.  (As as been said by the ninja. :wink: )  As long as you have enough space for it to handle six hours of work (note that's free space, and PL only pushes *half* to storage...), you won't lose anything.  If you have less storage space than that, things will run out.  It will do everything multiple times if it's been more than six hours - but it doesn't scale that size.

I'd make sure your outposts have enough storage for *13* hours (six hours processing, store half, and give a bit of a margin...).  You'll need to jump to it as frequently as it's production can be used up, so higher production is good.  :wink:

Ahh thanks again mate!  Going to go check on that now :D

Edited by Uberns

1 minute ago, Uberns said:

Does this mean that if i have storage for 6 hours of production and i stay away for 24 hours that it will push 24 hours worth of resources (minus what stays in the container at the end of the catch up)?  Or will it still only push 6 hours worth?

It will repeat the 6 hour processing chunks as many times as needed to matxh the amount of time you've been away

3 minutes ago, Thorbane said:

I'm trying to make a module manager patch to replace supplies in the storage containers with TAC-LS resources, and I've run into a problem with the inflatables.  The resource amount is only increased if the base resource amount is less than the inflated multiplier, so the oxygen and carbon dioxide tanks are not expanded when the part inflates.

I found the offending line of code in the ExpandResourceCapacity() method in USITools.USIAnimation.  Is it keeping anything from breaking?

It's intended as a sanity-check to make sure your parts don't expand beyond what's reasonable.  Are you sure they should be expanding that much?

1 minute ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

It will repeat the 6 hour processing chunks as many times as needed to matxh the amount of time you've been away

This is a situation where I feel like I forget about half of everything I've learned about KSP. I knew about the 6 hr catch up mechanic but it never occurred to me until reading this discussion what implications that has for planetary logistics!

So just to clarify, if you have room for 100 units of something and you're producing 200/day (6 hours), after 24 hours you would only have 400(-ish) units in planetary storage?