[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Hey,

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but how do I safely delete the legacy EL stuff, because I don't use it and I have already many mods?

I tried deleting the files from the USI directory, but then I get many (>50) MM errors at startup. :(

Sorry for my english, it's only my third language.

Edited by N3N

42 minutes ago, N3N said:

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but how do I safely delete the legacy EL stuff, because I don't use it and I have already many mods?

What exactly do you want to remove? The two parts (orbital dock and launchpad)?

Those are MKS_EL_LaunchPad.cfg and MKS_EL_OrbDock.cfg, you can remove these two files and it shouldn't cause errors. Don't delete anything else.

Or better yet, make a custom MM patch to remove the parts. For this, you create a new folder in GameData, e.g. "N3N_Patches" and put there a cfg with the following content:

-PART[MKS_EL_*] {}

This will remove the parts reliably even when you update MKS. So you don't have to remember deleting the cfgs manually.

I'm not sure how new the DIY construction kit part is, I cant find a great deal of info on it.

Is there any way to determine what orientation the part will be deployed as ? the crate after it is deployed seems to stretch to the final size.

I've got two parts on a mun base, both were designed in the SPH, but one seems to be correct (thought it could be upside down), the other seems to be on it's end up.

It will take a long time to construct, but i'd like to know if I need to do some work to push the crate over before I start to construct it. ( I think I can KAS some RCS onto it to do the job if needed)

Update:

Image for reference:

the DIY container on the left is a Karibou rover,

the DIY container on the right is a group of Tundra modules linked together (horizontally) I imagine it should be 90degrees CCW (preferably not smashing the current Ranger modules)

20170501124935_1_zpspnbb4wtv.jpg

Edited by FrontLineFodder
added image

7 hours ago, FrontLineFodder said:

I'm not sure how new the DIY construction kit part is, I cant find a great deal of info on it.

Is there any way to determine what orientation the part will be deployed as ? the crate after it is deployed seems to stretch to the final size.

I've got two parts on a mun base, both were designed in the SPH, but one seems to be correct (thought it could be upside down), the other seems to be on it's end up.

It will take a long time to construct, but i'd like to know if I need to do some work to push the crate over before I start to construct it. ( I think I can KAS some RCS onto it to do the job if needed)

<schnip>

Can't help you with the DIYKits (I don't have a clue either), but I can say that you can use the cranes and magnet from Konstruction to right the crate if needed. You should probably check out the Ground Construction thread, which deals with these things.

I use a radially attached part to know where the 'front' of the DIY kits are - orientation I believe is the same as the ship in the VAB.

Which I think is your issue with the tall kit - orientation directions change between the VAB and the SPH.  You've got a kit that is building a ship designed in the SPH, and the kit was built in the VAB, I believe.  From my experience, this is a temporary problem as the ship will be oriented correctly upon launch/finalization.  (Which is going to be a problem for you, as that is going to hit something when it finalizes I believe...  Whether the Ranger modules or what I assume is a mining pod, I'm not sure.)

10 hours ago, FrontLineFodder said:

I have found that the orientation of the crate has little to do with the orientation of the constructed craft.

I have often had crates building on-end for long Tundra bases, and when they 'launch' the base is horizontal, just like it was in the VAB/SPH.

Over the weekend I finished building a base on Duna where the crate started on-end, then fell over and the deployed base was still right-side up at launch.

I also try to place my crates far enough away that they will not intersect anything on launch, usually with a corner pointing towards my construction base so it can be closer more safely.

note: you may want to make sure you have a probe and reaction wheels on any craft you make with GC, I have found that they often 'jump' when deployed(think of switching to a base before the physics-easing was added to the stock game, as that is basically what is happening)

On 4/30/2017 at 10:10 PM, FrontLineFodder said:

I just watched the YouTube video from Kottabos. It's on the original GC mod, which has a few extra things not bundled with MKS, but is does a good job to introduce how you use it.

Just now, Vjrcr said:

That wiki page says that scout are immune to home sickness and hab effects but when ever I use them they still suffer from the effects of both and stop working

I believe pilots/scouts require at least one year of habtime to start with before this effect kicks in, to stop you shoving one in a tin can and leaving them there forever.

I discovered a little issue adding MKS on my game:

I'm using from ages TRP-Hire to manage hiring of my kerbals, and now (as I discovered in the TRP-Hire post) MKS borrow some of that code to manage the new kerbal specialization that comes with it.

But now I have this mess when I go to hire a new Kerbal, with both mod conflicting in the GUI:

Ju0VdZd.png

... how could I resolve the problem without loosing the ability of TRP-Hire (mostly the cost to hire a new kerbal fixed by his/her stupidity/courage level, rather than an exponential cost as stock)???

Some parts, for example, the rovers, don't show up in the right category(seems random, for example the Akita is under electrical), and don't show up when searched. For example, Karibou and Akita rovers don't show up when their name is typed in the part search.

Also, the Ranger MiniHab has it's name show as Mk1-2 Command Pod

Anyone else having this?

EDIT: The minihab/mk1-2 command pod issue is caused by the ASET Mk1-2 pod internal mod changing the name of any pod that uses the Mk1-2 Internals to Mk1-2 Command Pod (M)

Edited by dlrk

47 minutes ago, Araym said:

I'm using from ages TRP-Hire to manage hiring of my kerbals, and now (as I discovered in the TRP-Hire post) MKS borrow some of that code to manage the new kerbal specialization that comes with it.

But now I have this mess when I go to hire a new Kerbal, with both mod conflicting in the GUI:

//snipped pic

.. how could I resolve the problem without loosing the ability of TRP-Hire (mostly the cost to hire a new kerbal fixed by his/her stupidity/courage level, rather than an exponential cost as stock)???

The TRP-Hire version bundled with MKS works just like you want it to, as it shows up on my game.  I can buy 10 Kerbals for exactly 40k each and the price doesn't increase.  I think all you need to do is get rid of the normal version of TRP-Hire that you have installed.

Edited by Krakatoa
snip

I just came to look at this mod as I've been using it for a while now but I was in the two middle pictures at the top there is a rover and a ship, I don't have that command module that's on the ship, and the rover has wheels that I don't have either... I used ckan to install the mod so I don't know why I haven't got those parts. can anyone help or explain why???

14 hours ago, voicey99 said:

I believe pilots/scouts require at least one year of habtime to start with before this effect kicks in, to stop you shoving one in a tin can and leaving them there forever.

7 hours ago, Araym said:

... how could I resolve the problem without loosing the ability of TRP-Hire (mostly the cost to hire a new kerbal fixed by his/her stupidity/courage level, rather than an exponential cost as stock)???

Uninstall TRP-HIre.  There is a 100% overlap by design to support this.

6 hours ago, dlrk said:

Some parts, for example, the rovers, don't show up in the right category(seems random, for example the Akita is under electrical), and don't show up when searched. For example, Karibou and Akita rovers don't show up when their name is typed in the part search.

Also, the Ranger MiniHab has it's name show as Mk1-2 Command Pod

Anyone else having this?

EDIT: The minihab/mk1-2 command pod issue is caused by the ASET Mk1-2 pod internal mod changing the name of any pod that uses the Mk1-2 Internals to Mk1-2 Command Pod (M)

Search does not work for custom categories.  As for stuff being in the wrong categories... not sure, sounds like a conflict of some kind to me.  And that sounds like a bad thing that ASET is doing :P

43 minutes ago, Raccoon_ said:

I just came to look at this mod as I've been using it for a while now but I was in the two middle pictures at the top there is a rover and a ship, I don't have that command module that's on the ship, and the rover has wheels that I don't have either... I used ckan to install the mod so I don't know why I haven't got those parts. can anyone help or explain why???

The command module is an Orca command module from USI's FTT mod.  The other rover is probably a Malemute from USI's Malemute Rover mod.

Heads up, there is a new constellation pre-release up at:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI_Constellation/releases/tag/2017.05.03.00

Remember that this is a pre-release!  You will have to update manually with the final constellation version once that is pushed.  Lots of MKS/USI-LS changes along with some Karbonite balances, etc. (see the individual readmes for details).  Ping us if you have any issues

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Heads up, there is a new constellation pre-release up at:

https://github.com/BobPalmer/USI_Constellation/releases/tag/2017.05.03.00

Remember that this is a pre-release!  You will have to update manually with the final constellation version once that is pushed.  Lots of MKS/USI-LS changes along with some Karbonite balances, etc. (see the individual readmes for details).  Ping us if you have any issues

Hey RoverDude,

Very nice update!!

I'm hoping it will come soon.  :wink:

But can you please explain a little further, what this 2 lines in the MKS CHANGELOG.txt mean:

Added rock production to various drills, as well as residual rock output to different converters (Thanks voicey99!)

Removed OSE's extra harvesters from stock drills when MKS is installed (Thanks Qyzard256!)