[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

I guess it's just that rare coincidence, but want to check with the others. Whenever I hire a kerbal with a "random" gender, they always turn out to be female. I've had it like five times in a row already. Anybody noticed anything?

Just now, garwel said:

I guess it's just that rare coincidence, but want to check with the others. Whenever I hire a kerbal with a "random" gender, they always turn out to be female. I've had it like five times in a row already. Anybody noticed anything?

There is a 3% chance that you'll get a female 5 times in a row with a 50% initial probability, so it's nothing unusual, really.

Just now, garwel said:

Chance is everything, I've got a string of males as well. Statistically your chance of getting 5 females in a row is 1/32 so it's not unheard of. But yes, it works.

2 minutes ago, garwel said:

Probably the sketchy RNG, but definitely would be good to know if other folks have seen this

36 minutes ago, garwel said:

There was actually a bug in KSP, a long long time ago that did the exact same thing. But that was fixed, obviously.

Just now, Benjamin Kerman said:

I didn't know you could hire Kerbals with random genders, is that something new that MKS adds?

Unless you are using an old version, it includes some aspects of the mod TRP-Hire that allows you to customise the kerbals you hire.

1 hour ago, RoverDude said:

And sorry, running FixedUpdate every 0.02 seconds may be the same rate as a 50hz clock, but it is not the same thing.

I've only quoted the bit I disagree with, but it's a good point about fuel flow, etc; I appreciate now it's a harder problem than it looks like. (That said, batching might cause problems but the alternative is batching into 6-hour chunks...)

But that is the same thing. One might quite literally say that FixedUpdate runs on a 50Hz clock. ETA: Perhaps this is a purely terminological thing, in which case, who cares? I think the interesting questions are both whether it's practical to do unfocussed processing every tick (Kerbalism thinks yes) and whether it can sensibly be done every second or few seconds.

Edited by damerell

43 minutes ago, damerell said:

I've only quoted the bit I disagree with, but it's a good point about fuel flow, etc; I appreciate now it's a harder problem than it looks like. (That said, batching might cause problems but the alternative is batching into 6-hour chunks...)

But that is the same thing. One might quite literally say that FixedUpdate runs on a 50Hz clock. ETA: Perhaps this is a purely terminological thing, in which case, who cares? I think the interesting questions are both whether it's practical to do unfocussed processing every tick (Kerbalism thinks yes) and whether it can sensibly be done every second or few seconds.

And on that note hopefully we can retire this topic and get back to the fun MKS questions.

I have a fun MKS question. (Or is it a fun KAS question? I'm not really sure). Basically, if I attach a heavy module (like Tundra 3.75 Kerbitat) to another base module with KAS, everything seems normal at first. But when I reload the scene, the heavy module becomes horribly bent and shifted from its original position, but still attached to its parent. So... has anyone encountered this? Any tips?

Autostruts don't help at all, sadly.

Hey, so I'm having an Issue with the usi mks/oks mod... Idk if the coding is off but some of your parts don't seem to be working right, the habitation modules cannot be converted from greenhouse to habitat and it crashes my game when I hit c1 previous configuration. I'm really kind of bummed about this because this is my favorite mod, but since I updated it, it hasn't been working right. Is anybody else having this issue?

9 hours ago, garwel said:

There is a bug (also with some of the classes). A fix is coming.

Actually, currently the random button gives you a male, male gives you a female, and female gives you a random.

That's for portraits though, but the first name of the kerbal is apparently always random (with or without the fix).

If we pretend, after several thousand hours passed with them, to understand Kerbal culture enough to distinguish female and male first names, then indeed this randomness is problematic. Please log a github issue if you confirm that, as a fix would be slightly more complicated.

Hi - ive spent the last few hours searching online for the answer but I cannot find it.  When I'm using the Material Processing Unit, what do the C1, C2, C3 buttons mean?  Like in the first C1 button it says for example: Fertilizer (M) => Fertilizer (G)    What does this mean?

1 hour ago, myn4m31swh4t said:

Hey, so I'm having an Issue with the usi mks/oks mod... Idk if the coding is off but some of your parts don't seem to be working right, the habitation modules cannot be converted from greenhouse to habitat and it crashes my game when I hit c1 previous configuration. I'm really kind of bummed about this because this is my favorite mod, but since I updated it, it hasn't been working right. Is anybody else having this issue?

This bug will be fixed in the next release.

It should only happen if you don't have USI-LS installed. In such case, greenhouse and habitat are useless anyway, so you can just not click on that.

3 minutes ago, funkcanna said:

Hi - ive spent the last few hours searching online for the answer but I cannot find it.  When I'm using the Material Processing Unit, what do the C1, C2, C3 buttons mean?  Like in the first C1 button it says for example: Fertilizer (M) => Fertilizer (G)    What does this mean?

This means the part has 3 configurable converter "slots", and the buttons are for configuring them (Ex: "switch converter #1 from minerals->fertilizer to gypsum->fertilizer").

45 minutes ago, TauPhraim said:

This means the part has 3 configurable converter "slots", and the buttons are for configuring them (Ex: "switch converter #1 from minerals->fertilizer to gypsum->fertilizer").

Thanks - But I still don't know what it means.  What does Fertilizer (M) => Fertilizer (G) actually do?  What does LFO => Liquid Fuel actually do?

EDIT: As an example, lets say I want the converter to do:  Gypsum to Fertilizer and Ore to LFO.  What would I pick?  

Edited by funkcanna

15 minutes ago, funkcanna said:

Thanks - But I still don't know what it means.  What does Fertilizer (M) => Fertilizer (G) actually do?  What does LFO => Liquid Fuel actually do?

EDIT: As an example, lets say I want the converter to do:  Gypsum to Fertilizer and Ore to LFO.  What would I pick?  

Let me rephrase it without confusing arrows :)

"Fertilizer (M) => Fertilizer (G)" switches converter #1 from converting minerals into fertilizer, to converting gypsum into fertilizer.

In the VAB: to get the one you want, click until the desired one is displayed on top.

In situ, each change will cost you material kits etc, so you want to use the next/previous buttons, so that the change button directly does "whatever => desired_converter". Sorry if it's not clear. Please post a screenshot in this case, and I'll try to use real names/examples.

1 minute ago, TauPhraim said:

Let me rephrase it without confusing arrows :)

"Fertilizer (M) => Fertilizer (G)" switches converter #1 from converting minerals into fertilizer, to converting gypsum into fertilizer.

In the VAB: to get the one you want, click until the desired one is displayed on top.

In situ, each change will cost you material kits etc, so you want to use the next/previous buttons, so that the change button directly does "whatever => desired_converter". Sorry if it's not clear. Please post a screenshot in this case, and I'll try to use real names/examples.

Ah I see, I thought that that showed what conversion was taking place, which didn't make sense as I was thinking it was changing Fertilizer made by Minerals into Fertilizer made by Gypsum!

So if I want the conversion to be Fertilizer G, I just have to make sure that Fertilizer (G) is displayed at the end (i.e. after the =>)?

56 minutes ago, funkcanna said:

So if I want the conversion to be Fertilizer G, I just have to make sure that Fertilizer (G) is displayed at the end (i.e. after the =>)?

No, you have to make sure Fert(G) us displayed after the =>, AND click on the button. The converter name on top should then show "Fert(G)"

3 hours ago, TauPhraim said:

There is a bug (also with some of the classes). A fix is coming.

Actually, currently the random button gives you a male, male gives you a female, and female gives you a random.

That's for portraits though, but the first name of the kerbal is apparently always random (with or without the fix).

If we pretend, after several thousand hours passed with them, to understand Kerbal culture enough to distinguish female and male first names, then indeed this randomness is problematic. Please log a github issue if you confirm that, as a fix would be slightly more complicated.

So, maybe it's not just my imagination after all. The portraits are female, but at least one first name (Wilgrid) appears masculine. Besides, I just hired the sixth astronaut, who turned out to be... female.

33 minutes ago, garwel said:

So, maybe it's not just my imagination after all. The portraits are female, but at least one first name (Wilgrid) appears masculine. Besides, I just hired the sixth astronaut, who turned out to be... female.

Just start a new game and try it out, it's so easily to reproduce if you have a problem, at least test it a little bit by hiring 10-20.

Chances are not dependent on each other, you hiring now the 6th Kerbal was another 50% chance, so will be the next. It doesnt mean anything.

6 hours ago, TauPhraim said:

No, you have to make sure Fert(G) us displayed after the =>, AND click on the button. The converter name on top should then show "Fert(G)"

This. Very Much. Don't want to say how many times I forgot to press the button. Double check the top of the window to make sure you actually set it correctly, then check it again.

On 5/11/2017 at 1:04 PM, joacobanfield said:

Am I supposed to be able to "Disassemble" kerbals?

I recall long ago when the Kethane mod added a part called the "blender" which would allow you to convert kerbals to fuel. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

On 5/11/2017 at 1:10 PM, RoverDude said:

If anything... one would think you could disassemble a Kerbal into supplies.

But that is called "cannibalism", my dear children, and is in fact frowned upon in most societies.