[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

I'm having an issue where several parts refuse to show up in VAB/SPH. I first noticed it when I set about constructing a forklift and realized that the Akita Command Seat is simply missing, and as I looked around and started to compare things with the tech tree I also discovered that most of the wheels are missing along with some other parts. SO to clarify, they show up in the tech tree and the nodes are unlocked, but the parts are not to be found in any of the categories in VAB/SPH.

I ran some logs and as far as I can tell they are loading just fine. I get no warnings, errors or exceptions for anything and the log indicates that the parts have been loaded and compiled, but they're still missing. I running MKS/USI with the Galileo pack and I have a ton of mods, so I will attempt to add mods one by one to a clean install and see if I can find the issue that way, but I just wanted to ask here first in case it's a known issue or someone knows what might cause it.

Love the mods though, they add a whole new layer of gameplay. Keep up the great work!

2 hours ago, JohnnyPanzer said:

I'm having an issue where several parts refuse to show up in VAB/SPH.

First make sure all the prerequisite mods are up to date, in particular USITools and CCK.

23 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Also @ruiluth - KPBS != MKS.  It's like comparing apples and tractors.  MKS is first and foremost a gameplay mod.  KPBS is primarily a parts mod (though the integration pack @DStaal works on changes that.

That's exactly why I was hoping to get some help with this mod, and so grateful that I did! MKS is so much more interesting.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice, I'll try putting it into practice tomorrow and report back, hopefully with more success!

Not sure if it is the cause of your missing parts but something else that I did notice is that a mod (I believe Janitor's Closet) hides parts in VAB/SPH unless you have (presuming it is enabled) paid the entry fee for them first (to avoid clutter), which you have to do from R&D or by searching for them in the list. This could cause parts to be seemingly missing from the list if you use it.

7 hours ago, TauPhraim said:

They do research as in, contributing to increasing MKS bonuses for planets they reside on. And collecting science via MKS parts that offer a "Check Kolony Rewards" button.

But they don't work in stock science labs.

Thanks for the clarification.

3 hours ago, jd284 said:

First make sure all the prerequisite mods are up to date, in particular USITools and CCK.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

FYI - if you are missing parts, odds are someone is bundling an old version of CCK.  Update to the latest CCK (or use the one I bundle).

Thanks. I'll have a look when I sit down to play later tonight.

13 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

With that amount of information?  no.  Maybe post a screenshot of your gamedata folder.  Some other information? what actually happens when loading KSP etc.  Put yourself on the other side and ask yourself, what information would I need to answer my own question?

Sorry, you're right. I got 3 Other mods, i have Custom barnkit and Module Manager. My KSP don't crash or anything, the parts just don,t load up, like the mod would not exist. Thats what my gamedata folder looks like:

11kyw5261j5axq0zg.jpgI hope that helped.

25 minutes ago, Matou1612 said:

Sorry, you're right. I got 3 Other mods, i have Custom barnkit and Module Manager. My KSP don't crash or anything, the parts just don,t load up, like the mod would not exist. Thats what my gamedata folder looks like:

<schnip>

You don't have any of the dependencies (USI Core, GC etc.) or any of the ancillary mods. All the mods that come bundled with MKS are there for a reason-just move the entire USI folder into GameData.

Never mind, what you have in the folder is actually the master folder MKS is downloaded in. Move all the folders (not MM files) from the GameData folder (that is, 000_AT_Utils, 000_USITools, CommunityResourcePack, CommunityCategoryKit, Firespitter, GroundConstruction and UmbraSpaceIndustries) in the master MKS folder into your GameData

Edited by voicey99

25 minutes ago, Matou1612 said:

11kyw5261j5axq0zg.jpgI hope that helped.

I'm going to disagree: You might have all the dependencies - but you haven't installed them correctly. :wink: Inside that MKS_0.50.18.0 folder there should be a folder called 'GameData' - you need to move *it's* contents into the folder we're looking at.

32 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

You don't have any of the dependencies (USI Core, GC etc.) or any of the ancillary mods. All the mods that come bundled with MKS are there for a reason-just move the entire USI folder into GameData.

Never mind, what you have in the folder is actually the master folder MKS is downloaded in. Move all the folders (not MM files) from the GameData folder (that is, 000_AT_Utils, 000_USITools, CommunityResourcePack, CommunityCategoryKit, Firespitter, GroundConstruction and UmbraSpaceIndustries) in the master MKS folder into your GameData

Thank you so much! It works perfectly now!

4 hours ago, RoverDude said:

FYI - if you are missing parts, odds are someone is bundling an old version of CCK.  Update to the latest CCK (or use the one I bundle).

When updating to the latest CCK or USI tools should we always delete the old or is it okay to just copy over?

Actually, typing this, I'm pretty sure "always delete" is always the correct answer, but I'm going to leave the question just to make sure.

2 minutes ago, Mandella said:

When updating to the latest CCK or USI tools should we always delete the old or is it okay to just copy over?

Actually, typing this, I'm pretty sure "always delete" is always the correct answer, but I'm going to leave the question just to make sure.

*always* delete it.

I'm coming back after a bit of a hiatus, and I had a few questions (whose answers I hopefully didn't miss while scanning over the last few pages):

1)  It sounds like there's a pre-release that's close to being made official.  Are there any release notes for that?  Or will it just be bug fixes?

2)  Ground Construction is now bundled in MKS... does that mean I no longer need to use Extraplanetary Launchpads in order to build stuff onsite?

3)  The new AC hiring system is flippin' awesome!  I'm 95% sure that Courage and Stupidity ratings do not apply to MKS, but is that officially confirmed somewhere?

Thanks!!

Just now, lancejammer said:

I'm coming back after a bit of a hiatus, and I had a few questions (whose answers I hopefully didn't miss while scanning over the last few pages):

1)  It sounds like there's a pre-release that's close to being made official.  Are there any release notes for that?  Or will it just be bug fixes?

2)  Ground Construction is now bundled in MKS... does that mean I no longer need to use Extraplanetary Launchpads in order to build stuff onsite?

3)  The new AC hiring system is flippin' awesome!  I'm 95% sure that Courage and Stupidity ratings do not apply to MKS, but is that officially confirmed somewhere?

1) The upcoming logistics overhaul is still probably months away-the more minor 0.51.0 prerelease is bundled with the Constellation under /bobpalmer, but RD hasn't released a fix for the nullref spam with the Orca from FTT which appeared up in that version yet. Here's the notes (from the bundled changelog):

Spoiler

0.51.0 - 2017.05.06
-------------------
Fix local logistics vessel list not being updated
Sifters now use the geology bonus (Thanks Gnurfos!)
Updated TAC-LS config
Added rock production to various drills, as well as residual rock output to different converters (Thanks voicey99!)
Removed hard coded references to the EXConstructionSkill (these are handled via MM) - thanks theRagingIrishman!
The Pioneer Modules and Logistics Centers are now probe control points (thanks DanStaal!)
Fix for AC Recruitment and planet packs (Thanks Gnurfos!)!
Fore and aft attachment nodes for the Karibou hub roof rack (Thanks Wyzard256!)
Removed OSE's extra harvesters from stock drills when MKS is installed (Thanks Qyzard256!)
Stock Fuel cells now produce water as a byproduct (Thanks Boiler1!)
Custom settings via the stock settings dialog have been added:
* You may now disable machinery consumption for MKS.  The default is on.  This setting effectively puts this mod very close to where MKS-Lite was, and is a good starting point if you want to avoid most of the core resource chain.
Extensive changes to the Astronaut Complex.  You can now:
* Toggle the ability to customize Kerbonauts.  If enabled, you can change bravery/stupidity and choose a starting level.  If disabled, these options will not be available.
* Enable / disable the hiring of Kolonist Kerbonauts (i.e. combined with the option below, you can disable MKS extended classes altogether).
* Enable / disable Kolonist Kerbonauts being available in rescue contracts (if disabled, only base kerbonauts appear as rescue kerbals).  
* Use either the stock calculated cost or a custom price for your Kerbals.  This setting is independent for base vs kolonists, so you could use standard pricing for your pilots, engineers, and scientists - but still get cheap pricing for Kolonists.
* Enable/disable and configure a custom price cap for all hires.  i.e. you could decide to use the stock hiring scheme, but with a specific max cap so it does not rise to unreasonable exponential numbers.

2) EPL is no longer needed, but I don't think GC works on-orbit. EPL support has also been officially discontinued in light of the switchover and the integration patch is entirely dependent on PRs to maintain it, so its current effectiveness is unknown. I think it still works, though.

3) it has been said more than once that C/S ratings have no bearing whatsoever on MKS.

1 minute ago, RoverDude said:

@voicey99 - the Orca should totally not be nullreff'ing in the current pre-release...  Make sure you try with the most recent pre

Oops, didn't see a new pre had been released, probably because they both say 'released 17 days ago'.

You were right, CCK needed updating. Like you said, it must've been downgraded by another mod, because I had the parts a week ago for sure. Anyway, your suggested fix cleared everything up, thank you for your trouble. :) 

edit: While I'm at it, what sort of timeframe are we talking about when curing tourists in a medbay? Picking up stranded Kerbals on Ceti is kinda hard to do before their EVA timer runs out, so they will always be tourists when I pick them up. But so far I've been unable to cure anyone in my medlab in orbit. I have full nuclear power, a 142% load on the activated medbay, both a scientist AND a medic in the medbay, plenty of colony supplies (with refills coming in from Gael with regular intervals) a hab time of more than 10 years, supplies and recykling that will last them roughly two years and yet no one is showing any signs of improvement after more than 500 days. Could this also be related to the CCK being outdated, or is it simply a very, very, veeeeery time consuming process? I can't find any information at all on how long it's supposed to take to cure someone.

Edited by JohnnyPanzer

Since we were discussing bases recently, here's the current state of my Minmus colony.  First off: an off-world construction base, intended to be temporary.  (To be replaced when RoverDude gets around to releasing his larger GC revamp parts, or I find something else I like. :wink: )

screenshot_2017-05-20--11-51-40.png

Built out almost entirely via KIS, using parts shipped up in the large container in the back.  The container in the front was built on-site using EL, when we realized we needed a bit more storage space to stage inflation materials.

It's designed to build using either GC or EL, and to pull resources to do so from planetary logistics.  Initial concept had used a Duna module instead of the Tundra module, but it would have taken two Duna modules to do the same job.  (It's both logistics and EL survey site control.)

Next is the longer in process logistics base:

screenshot_2017-05-20--12-58-48.png

This has evolved over time, built out mostly via direct launch (and local assembly via KIS or construction ports), but also some GC builds as well.  It's intent is to be a *receiving* station: resources are shipped up to land in the large central flats, and then transferred to PL.  As a side add-on there is some mining for fuel, Uranium, and water.  (Though the nuclear fuel processing plant is likely a mistake to have here - it would be easier to have it at the other end and transfer the raw materials via PL, instead of refining here and shipping the EU manually via those truck trailers.)

A bit more of a pull-back look at the same base:

screenshot_2017-05-20--12-58-59.png

In this you can see two partially-disassembled resource landers (one for fertilizer, and one for supplies), the small greenhouse, the uranium miner, the mobile builder, the main base, the PAL construction helper, and on the right a science station (above) and a fusion pellet production plant (below).  Power is mostly from the central base's nuclear reactor.  (As well as a couple of Lynx trucks configured for various purposes.)

4 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Since we were discussing bases recently, here's the current state of my Minmus colony.  First off: an off-world construction base, intended to be temporary.  (To be replaced when RoverDude gets around to releasing his larger GC revamp parts, or I find something else I like. :wink: )

<many schnips>

It almost makes me want to get into offworld construction and KSPBS. Almost.

I did notice the (presumptive) Tower of (solar) Power-it would probably work better with MFSUs the massive blanket panels from NFS, since the tiddlers probably just get in the way of each other. Also, what do you use to create and superimpose the labels onto each picture?

Just now, voicey99 said:

It almost makes me want to get into offworld construction and KSPBS. Almost.

I did notice the (presumptive) Tower of (solar) Power-it would probably work better with MFSUs the massive blanket panels from NFS, since the tiddlers probably just get in the way of each other. Also, what do you use to create and superimpose the labels onto each picture?

That's not a tower of solar power - it's a *cooling* tower, using 12 of the largest radiators from NFT. :wink:   (My Kerbals refuse to thaw the ice cream core of Minmus with a heat pump - even if it is radioactive.)  It's a bit overkill, but they wanted to be ready to size up.

As for the labels: 

1 hour ago, JohnnyPanzer said:

edit: While I'm at it, what sort of timeframe are we talking about when curing tourists in a medbay? Picking up stranded Kerbals on Ceti is kinda hard to do before their EVA timer runs out, so they will always be tourists when I pick them up. But so far I've been unable to cure anyone in my medlab in orbit. I have full nuclear power, a 142% load on the activated medbay, both a scientist AND a medic in the medbay, plenty of colony supplies (with refills coming in from Gael with regular intervals) a hab time of more than 10 years, supplies and recykling that will last them roughly two years and yet no one is showing any signs of improvement after more than 500 days. Could this also be related to the CCK being outdated, or is it simply a very, very, veeeeery time consuming process? I can't find any information at all on how long it's supposed to take to cure someone.

Going off memory here, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if the scientist is in the med bay, but the "tourist" Kerbal DOES have to be in the med bay.

4 minutes ago, Merkov said:

Going off memory here, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if the scientist is in the med bay, but the "tourist" Kerbal DOES have to be in the med bay.

He is, I forgot to clarify that. And just for good measure I have a scienteist and a medic in the medbay as well as in other parts of the station.

Just now, JohnnyPanzer said:

He is, I forgot to clarify that. And just for good measure I have a scienteist and a medic in the medbay as well as in other parts of the station.

I remember hearing somewhere that the longer tourists have been grumped for, the longer they need to spend in the medbay before they return to normal. I've never used it so I can't tell you for sure.

Tossing in my two cents. Here is my Eve City:

Raw6us8.png

Produces everything, from supplies and material kits to karborundum. Almost self-sufficient, the only missing resource is Silicates, which it gets from PL. Surprisingly stable, no kraken issues so far. Also acts as a spaceport, providing fuel and maintenance for cargo and passenger SSTOs.

Front view:

lqXb2P3.png

Here is one of my Eve SSTOs during a short trip to Gilly:

9CWdnaU.png

RrTDIhe.png

The base was built in situ with EL as a single vessel.