[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

11 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

Where are you putting them? Keep in mind that heat dump parts can only actively pull heat from the heat-generating part itself, or its parent.

That's true only for the fixed radiator panels (strictly speaking any radiator with "parentCoolingOnly = true" in its config).

The MKS ranger heat pump as well as the folding radiators can pull heat from the entire vessel, up to each part's heat transfer capacity and their own maximum cooling capacity.

The problem with cooling drills is a bug, I think, see issue #1198. Looks like it should be fixed in the next release.

2 minutes ago, jd284 said:

That's true only for the fixed radiator panels (strictly speaking any radiator with "parentCoolingOnly = true" in its config).

The MKS ranger heat pump as well as the folding radiators can pull heat from the entire vessel, up to each part's heat transfer capacity and their own maximum cooling capacity.

The problem with cooling drills is a bug, I think, see issue #1198. Looks like it should be fixed in the next release.

Ah, that's cool, I didn't know that.

So... how bad is this drill cooling problem? Is it better to try to use sifters until it's fixed?

43 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

@FirroSeranel so how does th slider actually work? If my install has graphical mods and I'm getting some lag (40ish fps of so), how should I change the physics delta-time?

In the in-game settings, set it to 0.03, and that's the best you can do. However, I have the best results by changing it to 0.01, which is two notches below the left end of the slider. That means you have to go into settings.cfg in your main game directory and edit it manually. Otherwise, set it all the way to the left. I can't see any reason ever to not set it all the way to the left, honestly, on any system.

For more information, check out :

Edited by FirroSeranel

I'm having issues with part disassembly and warehouses. I've been disassembling the landing engines for base segments, and if possible, de-orbiting the insertion stages and landing them for disassembly as well, figuring I could get tons of MaterialKits out of it, to jump-start unpacking of Ranger inflatables.

I have ~7k MaterialKits storage in my base.

Yet when I start deconstructing things, only the first 400 kits (the smallest storage unit in the base) work. After that it says "XXX Material Kits were lost due to lack of space."

How does it decide which module gets the parts? How can I make sure they go to a module with free space? I thought the Logistics/Pioneer module was supposed to manage warehousing...

3 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

Ah, that's cool, I didn't know that.

So... how bad is this drill cooling problem? Is it better to try to use sifters until it's fixed?

Not that bad.  8 medium drills are a lot of drills.  Look at your load %. If it's over 200-300%, you may want to shut down a few of them.  I have been using the Ranger cooling exclusively now, and it really helps.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Screenshot of the base, save preferred.

Screenshot I can do... save I can do as well, but I'm not even gonna try to launch and assemble an entire base for a fresh save. This one is on its second -day-, and I'm half way there. <.< I'm happy to upload it, but it does include a fair few mod parts. If you want the save, I can put together a list of the mods you'll need to load it. It's mostly USI, but also Ven's Stock Part Revamp, Near Future Spacecraft, OSE Workshop, Stockalike Station Parts Expansion, and Planetary Base Systems... I think that's about it.

Edit: You'd also need Colonists... I had it installed without realizing it, and if I get rid of it, it completely breaks all kerbals, removing them from existence and kills the Astronaut Centers functionality.

tUxawk7.png

At the time I had the issue, the left warehouse arm wasn't yet attached. My theory is that the OSE Materials Container isn't being recognized by the warehouse system.

Yeah, I think I can confirm that. Now that I have the warehouse that includes 2000 units of Material Kits storage, I can do 3000 units of salvage before capping it. Then I have to switch to the base and let GPO Fuel Speed Pump pump it all into the OSE container, then I can do more.

Interestingly, it will draw from the OSE container to deploy inflatables just fine. It just won't put materials to it, which... probably means it doesn't have a Scavenger module?

Edited by FirroSeranel

That screenshot above presents a good opportunity to ask an unrelated question — @RoverDude, is it intentional that the Ranger trusses don't have glow maps?  It looks a little weird to have the ball hubs illuminated when the trusses between them aren't, given that they appear to be made of the same material.

(Things look better with the ball hub's light turned off too, so I've been leaving mine dark.  I'm thinking about patching ModuleLight out of the part so that it doesn't respond to the "toggle all lights" button.)

11 minutes ago, Wyzard said:

That screenshot above presents a good opportunity to ask an unrelated question — @RoverDude, is it intentional that the Ranger trusses don't have glow maps?  It looks a little weird to have the ball hubs illuminated when the trusses between them aren't, given that they appear to be made of the same material.

(Things look better with the ball hub's light turned off too, so I've been leaving mine dark.  I'm thinking about patching ModuleLight out of the part so that it doesn't respond to the "toggle all lights" button.)

+1, enthusiastically. I'd -love- for these to have glow maps!

Is that a texturing thing, or a modeling thing, out of curiosity?

Edited by FirroSeranel

Hey @RoverDude... and anyone who might be able to help.

Well this is a very odd bug... I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I suspect it's a stock bug but I'm not sure...

I'm building my base, docking the arms with construction ports. Three of them have worked just fine. But the fourth thinks it's 24 meters away when it's touching. I did do one thing differently.

To connect the Ranger Hub to the launch vehicle, I used the Ranger 2.5m Stack Adapter. On the previous three, I used the Decouple action, but the legs under the anchor hub got caught or something, and the Kraken attacked, throwing them apart violently. They survived in each case, and somehow miraculously ended up wheels-down, but rather than chance it on the fourth, since I have enough storage now, I disassembled my way from the engine toward the Stack Adapter. Before the Stack Adapter was a 2.5m Probe Core... which was the root part, so I couldn't disassemble it. I could, however, use KAS to detach the parts above it, which I did, finally decoupling just the stack adapter, which flew off on its own without disturbing the base arm too much.

Interestingly, I would estimate that the 24 meters it's off in its estimation of how close it is to the construction port on my base, is either the distance the CoM moved as I disassembled pieces, or the length of the parts I disassembled.

I've tried reattaching the docking port on the arm with KAS (which failed to call the torus mesh on the end of the truss segment, but that's another issue...), but that didn't fix it.

Any ideas?

This is such an esoteric case, that nobody else is likely to ever run into, that it's not worth wasting your time, or Squad's time with it, but if you have any suggestions, other than rolling back to a (much) earlier save state, or launching a new replacement for that arm, I'm all ears...

Edit: Nothing I tried worked... I reverted, and it wasn't as bad as I thought, just before a bunch of faffing about that turned out to be a waste of time, so... nothing lost, really. Still an odd bug...

Edited by FirroSeranel

Hi,

I'm having an issue with some mining outposts. Each outpost supports 2 kerbals and has 2 duna colonization modules. They have plenty of colony supplies and fertilizer and are nuclear powered. The colonization modules are turned on. Now if I switch to some distant probe and time-accellerate for a hundred days or so then switch back, I find that the colonization modules are turned off and the hab timers have expired and by kerbals are tourists. Everything else including all the mining drills are still operating, so it's not like the base ran out of electricity.

Is this expected? Or is there some way I can avoid this?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, bloodgusher said:

Hi,

I'm having an issue with some mining outposts. Each outpost supports 2 kerbals and has 2 duna colonization modules. They have plenty of colony supplies and fertilizer and are nuclear powered. The colonization modules are turned on. Now if I switch to some distant probe and time-accellerate for a hundred days or so then switch back, I find that the colonization modules are turned off and the hab timers have expired and by kerbals are tourists. Everything else including all the mining drills are still operating, so it's not like the base ran out of electricity.

Is this expected? Or is there some way I can avoid this?

Thanks!

This smells like the same issue I reported a couple of days ago. I thought it'd been fixed, but just about 20 minutes ago I had it happen again, just like before with the save I sent you, @RoverDude

On 3/16/2017 at 6:47 AM, RoverDude said:

Works fine with planet packs.  And you can either move the bits around with Konstruction, build smaller disconnected bases with expandables, or build in-situ with Ground Construction.  All of these options are available out of the box.

Thanks for the information!

I've installed it, and even with a whopping 555 patches, it works better than all other mods I've tried!

Massive thumbs up for this mod!

1 hour ago, FirroSeranel said:

Hey @RoverDude... and anyone who might be able to help.

Well this is a very odd bug... I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I suspect it's a stock bug but I'm not sure...

I'm building my base, docking the arms with construction ports. Three of them have worked just fine. But the fourth thinks it's 24 meters away when it's touching. I did do one thing differently.

To connect the Ranger Hub to the launch vehicle, I used the Ranger 2.5m Stack Adapter. On the previous three, I used the Decouple action, but the legs under the anchor hub got caught or something, and the Kraken attacked, throwing them apart violently. They survived in each case, and somehow miraculously ended up wheels-down, but rather than chance it on the fourth, since I have enough storage now, I disassembled my way from the engine toward the Stack Adapter. Before the Stack Adapter was a 2.5m Probe Core... which was the root part, so I couldn't disassemble it. I could, however, use KAS to detach the parts above it, which I did, finally decoupling just the stack adapter, which flew off on its own without disturbing the base arm too much.

Interestingly, I would estimate that the 24 meters it's off in its estimation of how close it is to the construction port on my base, is either the distance the CoM moved as I disassembled pieces, or the length of the parts I disassembled.

I've tried reattaching the docking port on the arm with KAS (which failed to call the torus mesh on the end of the truss segment, but that's another issue...), but that didn't fix it.

Any ideas?

This is such an esoteric case, that nobody else is likely to ever run into, that it's not worth wasting your time, or Squad's time with it, but if you have any suggestions, other than rolling back to a (much) earlier save state, or launching a new replacement for that arm, I'm all ears...

Edit: Nothing I tried worked... I reverted, and it wasn't as bad as I thought, just before a bunch of faffing about that turned out to be a waste of time, so... nothing lost, really. Still an odd bug...

Okay, it did it again, this time with a normal Decouple. This is the exact same craft design as the other arms I've already docked, just with the workshop flipped, and the types of containers switched around... so I'm very confused. Any ideas?

Turns out it's measuring from the construction port at the other end of the craft... :( Why would it be doing that? Nothing I can do seems to change its mind.

Can I re-root the craft by hand in the save?

Or... if I take it apart piece by piece and install it on the base by hand... will the meshes correct themselves on a scene change?

Edited by FirroSeranel

8 hours ago, betelphi said:

I had thought so but last week I downloaded a new release of MKS and I think it may have changed because my minmus base with 8 medium drills and a nuclear reactor was overheating, and adding two more of those parts didn't help. Eventually I had to shut down most of my separators and use 4 large extendable radiators from stock. Is there any reason that the ranger heating part has changed its function in the update before last?

Bit behind, but I think this is because drills have a max cooling much higher than they use to account for the astronomical kolonisation bonuses (10x that at basic load level). This means they reserve much more cooling from the radiator than they need, starving other parts of cooling.

Try using radiator panels for other overheating parts (assuming the drills are not attached to the part the panels are on) or editing down the drills' max cooling stat in the partcfg to a more reasonable level (but leave some headroom for bonuses).

Edited by voicey99

Hello, I need some help with the kolonization of Mun, I have an almost self sustaining base and I'm trying to get the 500% kolonization bonus (infinite home time). Ok, here I go (bad english alert):

Does PL currently work between crafts in orbit and landed ones? Do both craft count for increasing the kolonization %?

Do only pilots counts for increasing that % or are some others that help? Does the % Increase only over time or it will instantly increase if I carry there a lot of crew? Does it increase faster the more crew I have on the planet? Do I need a specific module to make the crew count towards this %? . How much crew would I need aprox. to colonize Mun in like a year or so? Do other planets have different % increase rates?

Also, wich modules are recommended for a big supply production plant? Wich ones for holding large ammounts of crew? The inflatabe agroponics seems to have the fastest production rate, and the stock utility hitchhiker seems to be more efficient than even the hab. ring...

I've been looking for info in the wiki and other tutorials, but I'm not sure if the info is updated or I couldn't find very much of it. Thanks a lot beforehands for your help!

You may try a viceversa ongoing for the Problem. 

Ich use Full automated drillsystems as colony setlings and fill the Planetary warehouse. A Duna-Logistiks with drillsystems Energie and Containers.

Next one i Land a Since Outpost with selfsustaining Lifesupport in Situ production. And after they get big enough Boni  (many colonists as tourists there XD) i begin to establish the manned drills. If i support the drills over PDU they never dryout the heat absorption of other Moduls. Because they are physikaly separated. And I have only to look at first time to rotate the miners till Kolonie is at 500%. And upgrade the heat absorption on drills to get conform with the Boni. 

16 minutes ago, W. Kerman said:

Wait... I don't have life-support or anything like that... Does USI life support come bundled with this?

No, USI-LS is a standalone mod (but is designed to work around MKS and vice versa).