[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

6 hours ago, WuphonsReach said:

General design rules that I've been using:

• Recyclers are not shared
  • EC storage is not shared
  • Supplies / Mulch storage is not shared
  • Hab-time is shared (150m range)

Recyclers used to be shared though, at least until one of the updates in the past few days.

It would be nice to find out if this change was accidental or intentional, whether I need to fix my base or just wait for an update.

40 minutes ago, damerell said:

If you're willing to go as far as TweakScale, TweakScaling up stock batteries produces - because the small batteries are longer in proportion to their width - thick large radius batteries with huge capacities. Nothing OP - the charge/mass ratio is unchanged, and you could stack a lot of the thin stock batteries to get the same effect, but it keeps down the part count.

alternately use the b9 aerospace parts (they have battery storage next to fuel/tank fillage)

38 minutes ago, jd284 said:

Recyclers used to be shared though, at least until one of the updates in the past few days.

It would be nice to find out if this change was accidental or intentional, whether I need to fix my base or just wait for an update.

Make Recyclers Shared Again!

6 hours ago, TauPhraim said:

What battery parts are you using for that ? Just stacking lot of stock batteries ? The MKS one has 6k so that's good, but you'd still need a lot.

I create custom-welded stock parts in a different install (with UbioZur Welding), then load the part .cfg file into my career install path (I have 4 or 5 different KSP 1.2.2 installs now, all version controlled in SVN).

For the brave... a 20k and a 40k battery in 2.5m size.  They are stock balanced (correct mass, capacity and cost) and look exactly like they would if you stacked 5 or 10 of the Z-4k batteries.  But with a lot less wiggle.

PS:

(I use these in my career save thread - which is where I'll talk more about them.)

Edited by WuphonsReach

9 hours ago, Jacke said:

Because of issues with them, I've always avoided using mod's functional parts, those that allow access to the mod's functions, and instead used Module Manager scripts to add their functions to stock parts, usually command pods.

Many of the Tundra parts have ModuleCommand in their CFG and thus have MechJeb functions added to them with the script example that you showed above. 

A base built with multiple Tundra components might have multiple parts that don't really need the MechJeb function. I wonder if there is any performance impact to adding MechJeb functionality on a part?

33 minutes ago, Fury1SOG said:

Many of the Tundra parts have ModuleCommand in their CFG and thus have MechJeb functions added to them with the script example that you showed above. 

A base built with multiple Tundra components might have multiple parts that don't really need the MechJeb function. I wonder if there is any performance impact to adding MechJeb functionality on a part?

I'm not sure, but I've flown spacecraft with multiple command pods (multipart unmanned probes) and I've had no problems with multiple parts having MechJebCore MODULES.  You need at least 1 on the active craft to have access to MechJeb windows and functions in flight.  You can see this with crashes or reentry burnups or other sources of failure for the command pod: when all of them on a craft break or are lost, you lose all MechJeb windows.

I sorted out Scart91's files a bit into a usable package that also includes support for USI Kolonist traits/classes. You can find it here. I'm hopeful that he might help me figure out how to get the base textures from the game to edit. My end-game thoughts are to have kolonist-specific suits; so for example, the farmer might have denim overalls with a plaid shirt for IVA.

Hey guys I think I have a problem here with HabRings and expandable habitats.  They are all stuck in "Agricultural" mode and any attempts to reconfigure them (both in VAB and in-game) cause nothing but a stack overflow exception in debug console. Tried to switch off some other mods that might have caused it - nothing changes.

Looking forward to suggestions.

Edited by BoPET

4 minutes ago, BoPET said:

Hey guys I think I have a problem here with HabRings and expandable habitats.  They are all stuck in "Agricultural" mode and any attempts to reconfigure them (both in VAB and in-game) cause nothing but a stack overflow exception in debug console. Tried to switch off some other mods that might have caused it - nothing changes.

Not an issue that anyone else has reported and they are working for for me. So first thing you need to do is load up a clean install of KSP with only USI mods installed and if it is still broke then you can throw a save file up here or github and it'll be looked at. I think it's more likely that the issue won't be present in a stock game so from there you can add in your mods until one breaks and then you know where the issue is. :D 

24 minutes ago, BoPET said:

No issues here either, cant replicate.

26 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

Not an issue that anyone else has reported and they are working for for me. So first thing you need to do is load up a clean install of KSP with only USI mods installed and if it is still broke then you can throw a save file up here or github and it'll be looked at. I think it's more likely that the issue won't be present in a stock game so from there you can add in your mods until one breaks and then you know where the issue is. :D 

So I have tried the clean install with the only mods present, nothing really changes. Only USI mods are left, 000_Toolbar 000_USI_Tools 000_FilterExtensions and MM 2.7.5.   The situation is pretty much the same.

Plus I have found some other problems I have failed to notice before: there are pink squares instead of USI icons in toolbar (and in debug console the path to the actual image is shown incorrectly, it is not /Kolonization/kolony24 when it is ACTUALLY MKS/Kolony 24), there is the same problem when I try to reconfigure Kerbitats (but not an overflow but argument_out_of_range) (and actually game throws some exceptions even at adding kerbitats).

That's all very strange. As if USI_Tools and MKS have some incompatibilities. I have downloaded both of them from GitHub final releases and clean-installed them. Nothing changes, really.

So here is the debug log (unfortunately I don't know how to copy-paste from it):

http://imgur.com/a/bPj6d

44 minutes ago, BoPET said:

So I have tried the clean install with the only mods present, nothing really changes. Only USI mods are left, 000_Toolbar 000_USI_Tools 000_FilterExtensions and MM 2.7.5.   The situation is pretty much the same.

Plus I have found some other problems I have failed to notice before: there are pink squares instead of USI icons in toolbar (and in debug console the path to the actual image is shown incorrectly, it is not /Kolonization/kolony24 when it is ACTUALLY MKS/Kolony 24), there is the same problem when I try to reconfigure Kerbitats (but not an overflow but argument_out_of_range) (and actually game throws some exceptions even at adding kerbitats).

That's all very strange. As if USI_Tools and MKS have some incompatibilities. I have downloaded both of them from GitHub final releases and clean-installed them. Nothing changes, really.

So here is the debug log (unfortunately I don't know how to copy-paste from it):

http://imgur.com/a/bPj6d

Definitely odd.  I just tried with the latest files and don't see that issue either.  What does your gamedata folder look like?

4 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Definitely odd.  I just tried with the latest files and don't see that issue either.  What does your gamedata folder look like?

Looks to me like he's missing some of the dll's

You don't mention having a USI folder or an MKS folder, i assume that was implied?. Also isn't habitation a LS function rather than MKS?

MKS turns out wonderful for my game, ty for the colorful dashboard!
 I'm pretty sure i missed that aspect, but how I'm supposed to transfer Machinery .. is that possible via warehousing?
(if yes, it doesn't let me transfer Machinery through vessels and of course attaching via KIS works too :P)

ty regards :)

Edited by LatiMacciato

15 minutes ago, LatiMacciato said:

MKS turns out wonderful for my game, ty for the colorful dashboard!
 I'm pretty sure i missed that aspect, but how I'm supposed to transfer Machinery .. is that possible via warehousing?
(if yes, it doesn't let me transfer Machinery through vessels and of course attaching via KIS works too :P)

ty regards :)

Machinery cannot be transferred using local logistics. Have to either send out an engineer to perform maintenance or have an engineer in a workshop. 

27 minutes ago, LatiMacciato said:

what about Machinery production in an assembly plant and share to other vessels?

Attach a Kontainer to the assembly plant, transfer it into the the Kontainer (*normal* KSP transfers do work on Machinery), ship the Kontainer over and use 'Perform Maintenance' to get it into place.

As Machinery is used very slowly, you won't have to do this very often.

1 minute ago, DStaal said:

Attach a Kontainer to the assembly plant, transfer it into the the Kontainer (*normal* KSP transfers do work on Machinery), ship the Kontainer over and use 'Perform Maintenance' to get it into place.

ergo manual transfers, ok ty :)

So I had an idea I was mulling over in my head last night, its your mod @RoverDude so do with it as you well, no harm in putting an idea out there tho.  So in terms of not meeting life support conditions you have two options to set, veterans and their effects, and everyone else.  What if instead of being based solely on the color of their suit, if you could set the effects based on level, low level kerbals go on mutinous rampages, level 3 kerbals say screw you guys im going home and jetpack back to KSC?  Going down that though train you could also say for instance modify the hab and home timers based on individual kerbals level, higher level kerbals are more used to being in cramped conditions and get longer hab and home times.  Of course with science labs you could try to rapidly level your kerbals mid mission to extend the hab and home time, and that does seem slightly exploity, but were not talking like 500% modifiers, maybe like 5%,10%,15% increase.  Anyways its up to you, and you know your code and if this even possible.  Anywho keep on rocking on with your mods, I havnt had this much fun with KSP in a lonnnngggggg time.

On 1/17/2017 at 6:13 AM, dboi88 said:

@WuphonsReach that's some good advice right there. In regards to the kraken i have faith! I'm confident now that kraken issues on large bases are now a thing of the past with the new ground anchor. If roverdude ever takes it away from me i'll find out where he lives :D:wink:.

Can you explain this ground anchor and its krakenbanes powers?

5 minutes ago, Temeriki said:

So I had an idea I was mulling over in my head last night, its your mod @RoverDude so do with it as you well, no harm in putting an idea out there tho.  So in terms of not meeting life support conditions you have two options to set, veterans and their effects, and everyone else.  What if instead of being based solely on the color of their suit, if you could set the effects based on level, low level kerbals go on mutinous rampages, level 3 kerbals say screw you guys im going home and jetpack back to KSC?  Going down that though train you could also say for instance modify the hab and home timers based on individual kerbals level, higher level kerbals are more used to being in cramped conditions and get longer hab and home times.  Of course with science labs you could try to rapidly level your kerbals mid mission to extend the hab and home time, and that does seem slightly exploity, but were not talking like 500% modifiers, maybe like 5%,10%,15% increase.  Anyways its up to you, and you know your code and if this even possible.  Anywho keep on rocking on with your mods, I havnt had this much fun with KSP in a lonnnngggggg time.

Can you explain this ground anchor and its krakenbanes powers?

I can try .. its ground tether on the tundra's and sifters and stuff .. like autostrut to the floor/ground
You have to toggle it tho, before you move or park.

Edited by LatiMacciato

Just now, LatiMacciato said:

i can try .. its ground tether on the tundra's and sifters and stuff .. like autostrut to the floor/ground

So its not something I place on the ground and KAS connect too, its an option in the tundra modules themselves?  So kinda like adding an imaginary invisible launch clamp?

Just now, Temeriki said:

So its not something I place on the ground and KAS connect too, its an option in the tundra modules themselves?  So kinda like adding an imaginary invisible launch clamp?

sorta .. its like holding breaks on parking .. make sure you toggle it off before you try rolling out (and not just on tundras, it toggles for the whole vessel)

9 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Should be able to transfer Machinery into PL, correct? PL module and quartermaster in the structure that is manufacturing Machinery, should push the Machinery into planetary logistics. 

1 minute ago, Parmenio said:

Should be able to transfer Machinery into PL, correct? PL module and quartermaster in the structure that is manufacturing Machinery, should push the Machinery into planetary logistics. 

i have no idea why my PL is blank anyways but this might work too (if manual carriage is failing :D)

2 hours ago, dboi88 said:

Looks to me like he's missing some of the dll's

You don't mention having a USI folder or an MKS folder, i assume that was implied?. Also isn't habitation a LS function rather than MKS?

Well, I kinda figured how to solve it. At least it looks so. I will double-check it some time later but it seems that it works just fine.

I have re-installed USI LS from github and everything worked fine. Perhaps it was really some missing DLLs there which were needed for MKS to work properly.

... But the USI icon is still missing textures, however, as long as the mod works, I don't care.

Edited by BoPET