[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

2 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

This might seem obvious, but containers that have both local and planetary warehouse options.  Is an ISM still needed for that container [ie Kontainer Tank - Round 00.313m]

The current configuration is, for full in-and-out PL you'll need warehouse-enabled containers attached directly (scavenging etc won't work) to a craft with a pilot/quartermaster and a logistics module, either the Duna Logistics Module or the Tundra Pioneer+Logistics module. If you only want to push, I think the MPUs will let you do that, as will logistics modules without pilots.

I was browsing through the wiki recently to brush up on all the changes since I last played MKS, and I noticed that the Ranger inflatable modules (greenhouse, workshop, even the hab to some extent) have significantly greater productivity than the Tundra series modules. I would've expected it to be the other way around.

Is this intentional? Is there a caveat that I'm missing?

34 minutes ago, OctarineNoise said:

I was browsing through the wiki recently to brush up on all the changes since I last played MKS, and I noticed that the Ranger inflatable modules (greenhouse, workshop, even the hab to some extent) have significantly greater productivity than the Tundra series modules. I would've expected it to be the other way around.

Is this intentional? Is there a caveat that I'm missing?

Yes, and yes. First off, the balancing parameters are total deployed mass/volume and not which product line they're in. If you have 50 tons of Tundra stuff, and I have 50 tons of Ranger stuff, we should have identical outputs (unless one of us has significantly more volume, in which case maybe a little skew for that, but mass is the more important parameter).

Second, and more importantly, the Tundra figures you're likely looking at are per bay. Tundra modules mostly have more than one bay, Ranger ones don't. So a Ranger greenhouse looks a bit better than a Tundra Ag module, but the Ag module can actually do that twice over, or do that and something else.

1 hour ago, zabieru said:

Yes, and yes. First off, the balancing parameters are total deployed mass/volume and not which product line they're in. If you have 50 tons of Tundra stuff, and I have 50 tons of Ranger stuff, we should have identical outputs (unless one of us has significantly more volume, in which case maybe a little skew for that, but mass is the more important parameter).

Second, and more importantly, the Tundra figures you're likely looking at are per bay. Tundra modules mostly have more than one bay, Ranger ones don't. So a Ranger greenhouse looks a bit better than a Tundra Ag module, but the Ag module can actually do that twice over, or do that and something else.

Thanks, it makes sense now. Normalizing output on total module mass is actually some pretty good game design right there. It lets me focus on building stuff and having fun... instead of awakening my evil OCD minmaxing alter ego :)

I do have some more questions though.

First, do Tundra hab modules have multiple bays too? Actually, I'd be interested in the bay counts of all modules, I can't seem to find it on the wiki.

Second, I read that Ranger production modules can be used as boosters for the Tundra/Duna series (again while keeping output/mass consistent). What are the conditions for that to work? Do the modules need to be directly connected? On the same vessel? In scavenging range? Which ones need to be manned?

Efficiency parts need to be on the same vessel, nothing needs to be directly manned. (Don't quote me on this, but I think the only MKS module function that cares if the kerbal is sitting in that part rather than just anywhere on the vessel is the workshop automated maintenance function.) They also need to be configured as such. You want the one that says "Smelter" or "Greenhouse" or whatever, as opposed to one of the "Cultivate" or "Polymers" settings.

Bay counts are accessible in the VAB. You're looking for the number of listings for "Swappable Converter." Should be one per bay. IIRC the Tundra habs have just one per, and aren't actually super-great hab modules (which makes sense, really: that's one case where volume is pretty important.)

5 hours ago, zabieru said:

Efficiency parts need to be on the same vessel, nothing needs to be directly manned. (Don't quote me on this, but I think the only MKS module function that cares if the kerbal is sitting in that part rather than just anywhere on the vessel is the workshop automated maintenance function.) They also need to be configured as such. You want the one that says "Smelter" or "Greenhouse" or whatever, as opposed to one of the "Cultivate" or "Polymers" settings.

Bay counts are accessible in the VAB. You're looking for the number of listings for "Swappable Converter." Should be one per bay. IIRC the Tundra habs have just one per, and aren't actually super-great hab modules (which makes sense, really: that's one case where volume is pretty important.)

I used to think the Tundra habs were underpowered also, but they do have a great benefit...they don't consume Machinery. I've created a few Machinery-less orbital stations and interplanetary taxis to good effect.  The inflatables are good for conserving weight during transit and then using separate stores of MaterialKits to inflate and Machinery to keep running.

19 hours ago, oniontrain said:

So, is it better to construct a linked together base or a bunch of separate structures? I have orbital stations with tons of lights and easily twice the part count of a simple ground base that have no lag but as soon as a basic base on the ground gets loaded I am getting single digit FPS. I'm mostly just using MKS parts, is there something I can do to troubleshoot what might be causing it?

I have 9 different bases in my colony, so I go the disconnected route big time. There are other issues than FPS, especially if you want to do a lot of manufacturing. Storage tanks have to be large enough to hold 6 hours of resources to support catch up mechanics, especially if you rely on resources from PL and other bases.

I am tracking down why I always have zero Silicon after a few days, even though I produce a net positive amount. I think it's because my Silicates tank is too small.  With all the bonuses and large load, I need over 6000 per day and I only have 2500 storage. I need to test with bigger tanks, solely to support the 6 hour requirement.

Hey, I know this is the wrong forum but I don't really know where else to ask :rolleyes:

I was looking for the documentation for Karbonite and Karbonite+, but the forum is missing and the links broken. I assume the mod is alive since a last update appears on Github and it is quite recent.

Was there any problem with the mod? Thanks!

37 minutes ago, Supermarine said:

Hey, I know this is the wrong forum but I don't really know where else to ask :rolleyes:

I was looking for the documentation for Karbonite and Karbonite+, but the forum is missing and the links broken. I assume the mod is alive since a last update appears on Github and it is quite recent.

No problem with the mod.  The forum lost a bunch of threads earlier this year though, and Karbonite was one.

34 minutes ago, Supermarine said:

The main Karbonite thread got lost in the Great Forums Derp of January 2017, RD still hasn't got round to making a new one (or the general USI thread, as he said he would a month or two back) as the MKS thread has become the de facto Karbonite thread by now. Concerning documentation, there isn't really an awful lot to say about Karbonite, You mine Karbonite, You burn Ka in engines, generators etc. or convert it into other stuff. End of, really.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:55 PM, LeftyRighty said:

any ideas how I can get the kerbal out? (I'm playing career and doing missions to get the cash to upgrade the science complex so I'm stuck with <=100 sci research) or is there a way to tweak it so it doesn't pick those components as target vehicles?

I'm new at MKS myself, and had the same thing happen with a Ranger Agricultural inflatable.  This was over the Mun where I was about to land my first MKS setup, so my craft had space to attache the inflatable.  I EVAd out an engineer with the drill equiped along with Bob to have enough kerbals to move the heavy object.  I very carefully position my Kolony ship to within 2 meters of the inflatable, grabbed it, and attached it to my Scout Lander.  I was then able to get the rescuee out, and had a bonus agricultural module!

Unfortunately, I realized later, adding that module broke my Build a Base on the Mun contract, as it wasn't considered a new part.  No good deed goes unpunished.

If you want to see my craft with the attached module in space, I've got it on Imgur.

But, hey, while I'm posting here, I've got a few newbie questions.

This first kolony has got a Duna Pioneer module and a stock MSL on the Scout Lander.  I've got them connected by flex-tube, so they register as one "craft." I've got an antenna on the MSL which happily transmits science. But when I try Training on the Pioneer, it tells me there's no Antenna. Does a separate antenna need to be on the Pioneer. It's also possible the Pioneer is unpowered, as I'm not sure sure if the MSL solar panels provide power without cables attached.

I guess the question is, do I need an antenna, or is it the lack of power?

One last thing. I may be reading things wrong, but I wanted to build out a module, but need "machinery" which I understand I can send in a cargo pack, but it also states "1000 Construction" and I can't find "Construction" as a resource anywhere.

Thanks

Edited by Soda Popinski

3 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

This first kolony has got a Ranger Pioneer module and a stock MSL on the Scout Lander.  I've got them connected by flex-tube, so they register as one "craft." I've got an antenna on the MSL which happily transmits science. But when I try Training on the Pioneer, it tells me there's no Antenna. Does a separate antenna need to be on the Pioneer. It's also possible the Pioneer is unpowered, as I'm not sure sure if the MSL solar panels provide power without cables attached.

I guess the question is, do I need an antenna, or is it the lack of power?

One last thing. I may be reading things wrong, but I wanted to build out a module, but need "machinery" which I understand I can send in a cargo pack, but it also states "1000 Construction" and I can't find "Construction" as a resource anywhere.

There's a Ranger Pioneer module now? Anyway, are you sure your base isn't in the comm shadow of whatever body its on at the time of training? As for "Construction", its just a hidden resource shipped along with inflatable parts to reduce their mass until you expend an equivalent amount of materialkits to expand them (which I assume removes the Construction resource and its negative mass contribution).

31 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

There's a Ranger Pioneer module now? Anyway, are you sure your base isn't in the comm shadow of whatever body its on at the time of training? As for "Construction", its just a hidden resource shipped along with inflatable parts to reduce their mass until you expend an equivalent amount of materialkits to expand them (which I assume removes the Construction resource and its negative mass contribution).

Thanks for the clarification.  Good to know I don't need to bring it in as a resource.  I think you're right about the coms shadow, I just remembered, it was bright out, and it's a New Mun back on Kerbin, so I must be on the far side.  Crap, I just realized I've made a huge mistake.  The Mun's tidally locked, so I'll need to setup a relay network.  I'm new to CommNet, as my main game I've been playing is pre 1.0.  In a previous game, I managed it with Remote Tech, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Edit:  Typo, meant "Duna Pioneer module"

Edited by Soda Popinski

30 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Thanks for the clarification.  Good to know I don't need to bring it in as a resource.  I think you're right about the comm shadow, I just remembered, it was bright out, and it's a New Mun back on Kerbin, so I must be on the far side.  Crap, I just realized I've made a huge mistake.  The Mun's tidally locked, so I'll need to setup a relay network.  I'm new to CommNet, as my main game I've been playing is pre 1.0.  In a previous game, I managed it with Remote Tech, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Considering your base is only connected by flexotubes, it would probably be easier to disassemble it and haul it in two pieces with the skycrane (with a klaw or KAS) to the near side of the Mun (assuming you are producing fuel in situ).

14 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Considering your base is only connected by flexotubes, it would probably be easier to disassemble it and haul it in two pieces with the skycrane (with a klaw or KAS) to the near side of the Mun (assuming you are producing fuel in situ).

Still too early in the tech tree.  I haven't unlocked ISRU, or even KerbNet scanning yet.  My previous games in older versions, have used ScanSat and Kethane, so I'm curious to see how this all works.  I haven't done anything with KerbNet yet.

It's fine to set up the relay network, I've got a contract to set up a satellite in Munar orbit anyway.  That can easily act as a relay station, even if it's not 100% coverage yet.

5 hours ago, TauPhraim said:

Could someone (probably @RoverDude) do some cleanup in MKS github issues ? Many of them seem rather old/invalid. I know it's not cool work, but even done quickly with some false-positive closures would probably be better than the current huge list I think.

Good idea. How about you go through and mark each one that can be closed.

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

6 hours ago, Finnyk said:

what is " ground tethering "? how does it works?

It prevents a ground base from sliding slowly, by forcing its velocity to zero even with small forces acting on it.

It's not strong enough to stop a Kraken attack however.

9 hours ago, jd284 said:

It prevents a ground base from sliding slowly, by forcing its velocity to zero even with small forces acting on it.

It's not strong enough to stop a Kraken attack however.

Yes it is. Just take a look at what I was having to deal with (I would upload that to imgur but I can't get past the damn captcha).

Even if dancing bases are cool.

Edited by voicey99