[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

Just now, FirroSeranel said:

I've been wondering... if a base stretches across two (or more) biomes, can its drills access both biomes (assuming the drills themselves are located properly in each biome of course)? Or does the game assume that wherever the root part is, is where the entire base is?

Root part.

If you want to have a base stretching across two biomes, use logistics.

5 minutes ago, TauPhraim said:

Very worth asking: better than spending hours dragging KAS pipes across 2km like I did on Minmus :)

That would have made one hell of a physhop if the whole thing counted as one vessel.

1 hour ago, TauPhraim said:

Very worth asking: better than spending hours dragging KAS pipes across 2km like I did on Minmus :)

There's a secret spot on Minmus with Flats, Greater Flats, and Lowlands, all within 100m of each other, and all on 0° slope. :wink: The little "island" in the Greater Flats. You'll need SCANSat to find the exact spots though.

Edited by FirroSeranel

How exactly do drill production rates vary with resource concentration? If I have a drill on a resource with 8% concentration, and another on a different resource with 2% concentration, will the one on 8% produce 4 times as much per unit time?

Answered my own question with the wiki. :blush:

Edited by FirroSeranel

5 hours ago, Terwin said:

My munar way-station has lots of hab-modules and lander cans for ~ 20 kolonists

Wich hab-modules did you use? And thanks for the rest of the info, looking at other player's bases will sure help me to understand.

What is required in a base for an engineer to refill the Tundra modules with machinery automatically? I have a base with some of them, a few engineers and machinery to spare stored, but when their machinery drops to 1999/2000, they dont seem to be automatically refilled, does it take some time? Does it need to drop below some %? Also, machinery can't be transported via PL right?

34 minutes ago, Tomycj said:

What is required in a base for an engineer to refill the Tundra modules with machinery automatically? I have a base with some of them, a few engineers and machinery to spare stored, but when their machinery drops to 1999/2000, they dont seem to be automatically refilled, does it take some time? Does it need to drop below some %? Also, machinery can't be transported via PL right?

A manned workshop module (the inflatable one - possibly the tundra 250 one as well. since I am 90% sure I copied the config correctly!)

IIRC it might be the center of mass, not the root part, that determines a base's biome... I think I've had bases 'hop' biomes when attaching heavy bits.

And automated maintenance is periodic, it won't happen just because machinery drops to 1999. I think it's supposed to be daily. I've had some not-sure-if-bug-or-doin'-it-rong issues* with it seeming to not happen on refocusing the base, but if it's an issue I just move the engineer to another module, then back again, and it seems to trigger again. I can confirm it does work with both the inflatable and Tundra-375 workshops.

*I'm also not sure if there's enough machinery in storage to do everything at once after a long catch-up, so that's my best guess at the real issue, since I don't think it waits for PL to refill the container.

Spoiler

UZszGHi.png

Real-estate is at a premium on my munbase, had to deploy a second floor. Most of it was hand-assembled using OSE Workshop (hence the oversized container in the background) 
Certainly one of the most entertaining parts of my campaign

I can't confirm this yet, but I think active radiators might not be working in the background, only when vessels are loaded. Every time I come back to my Minmus base, the radiators are nearly overheated. Then within a few minutes of the base being loaded and active, the heat dissipates, even to the point that they stop glowing. Edit: In fact, my reactor had auto-shutdown due to heat. :( And that was after just a single launch, so the base was unloaded for maybe 4 hours in-game.

The radiators I'm currently using are from Nertea's Heat Control mod... is that the kind of thing that's set per radiator, and I should report it there? Do I need to switch to stock radiators, or Ranger modules? It might be why some people have reported trouble with the Ranger thermal module.

Edited by FirroSeranel

"Every time I come back to my Minmus base, the radiators are nearly overheated"

Happens to me too, I'm pretty sure it is a stock thing, but not if thats a bug or intended behaviour

Edited by Tomycj

5 hours ago, FirroSeranel said:

There's a secret spot on Minmus with Flats, Greater Flats, and Lowlands, all within 100m of each other, and all on 0° slope. :wink: The little "island" in the Greater Flats. You'll need SCANSat to find the exact spots though.

Is that still true?  There used to be little fringes of bogus biomes along the edges of "real" biomes caused by artifacts in the underlying map data, but I believe that was fixed in 1.2.

35 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

Every time I come back to my Minmus base, the radiators are nearly overheated. Then within a few minutes of the base being loaded and active, the heat dissipates, even to the point that they stop glowing.  (…)  The radiators I'm currently using are from Nertea's Heat Control mod.

Happens to me too.

1 hour ago, Wyzard said:

Is that still true?  There used to be little fringes of bogus biomes along the edges of "real" biomes caused by artifacts in the underlying map data, but I believe that was fixed in 1.2.

Probably still true. This isn't one of those "midlands-south pole-canyons" situations on what should be the midlands-canyon boundary, it's a semi-legit (not sure if the Flats are really supposed to be there, but maybe) corner.

I have a base on a Lowlands-Lesser Flats boundary with Slopes within about a kilometer, same deal.

2 hours ago, zabieru said:

Probably still true. This isn't one of those "midlands-south pole-canyons" situations on what should be the midlands-canyon boundary, it's a semi-legit (not sure if the Flats are really supposed to be there, but maybe) corner.

I have a base on a Lowlands-Lesser Flats boundary with Slopes within about a kilometer, same deal.

Oh man, I've been trying to find a place with Slopes within range of any kind of Flats for ages...

5 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

Oh man, I've been trying to find a place with Slopes within range of any kind of Flats for ages...

Bah. Mine's actually Lowlands/Lesser Flats/Midlands. (I'm only using the Lowlands and Lesser Flats, so.) But try near 6N/170E, looks like there's some reasonably close there.

I have a running Duna PDU on an unmanned (flying) vessel, with active and sufficient radiators. Whenever I get away from the vessel and come back, the PDU reactor gets reset to stopped state. Is this a known bug, or working as designed ?

@FirroSeranel + @zabieru

I read somewhere at the forums there was a talk about use of RoverDude's and Nertea's NucReactors.

Nertea's are HotFusion reaktors => more Energy but realy Fuel and heat hungrig. Mostly for support short EnergySpikes. 

RoverDude's are ColdFusion lower on Energy output but need much lower fuel and heat.

The talk was ich think at Nertea's Reaktor tread ( sorry not realy sure) but it was a mention about a MM Patch to bring this aspekt ingame. 

This said and if the patch is ingame it may clarify your Problems. 

And I think only RoverDude's reaktors are Pull controled. I have this feeling because i use for the bases/stations only RD's Nukes and they run mostly at the end of night period with more as 50%. I use many solarpanels for the day time and use centralisied polar Energystations.

25 minutes ago, Urses said:

@FirroSeranel + @zabieru

I read somewhere at the forums there was a talk about use of RoverDude's and Nertea's NucReactors.

Nertea's are HotFusion reaktors => more Energy but realy Fuel and heat hungrig. Mostly for support short EnergySpikes. 

RoverDude's are ColdFusion lower on Energy output but need much lower fuel and heat.

The talk was ich think at Nertea's Reaktor tread ( sorry not realy sure) but it was a mention about a MM Patch to bring this aspekt ingame. 

This said and if the patch is ingame it may clarify your Problems. 

And I think only RoverDude's reaktors are Pull controled. I have this feeling because i use for the bases/stations only RD's Nukes and they run mostly at the end of night period with more as 50%. I use many solarpanels for the day time and use centralisied polar Energystations.

Erm... actually they're all quite explicitly -fission- reactors, not fusion. <.< That's why they use Uranium and Plutonium, not Hydrogen.

I think I may just not have sufficient heating for my base in general. The radiator worked fine when it was just the reactor generating heat, but now that the base is fully constructed, and all the drills and production units are running full bore, it overheats very quickly.

Okay so I'm very confused. I fitted a couple of Ranger cooling units to my base. Now the whole base is running cool, the radiators aren't even glowing, all heating is hovering around 30% capacity... but my reactor core keeps overheating if I turn all the production on. What's going on? Does it need its own dedicated cooling? If so, how do I do that? It already has a non-deployable radiator on it, that by itself should be plenty to keep it cool (1000 core heat transfer).

Okay, another question... I have a small mining outpost about 100m away from my main base. It needs Material Kits to expand a couple of habitation modules, and Specialized Parts to switch sifters on a couple of its drills, but it says it doesn't have any. I have storage for both on the base, but from what I understand, because it doesn't have "consumers" of either resource, it will never generate a pull request. So... is there a way I can do a manual transfer?

22 minutes ago, FirroSeranel said:

It already has a non-deployable radiator on it

By non-deployable I presume you mean a Radiator Panel which acts differently from the Thermal Control Systems. You don't need to extend them but you do still need to activate them. Did you activate the Panel? Sorry if this was obvious already.

2 minutes ago, Kaa253 said:

By non-deployable I presume you mean a Radiator Panel which acts differently from the Thermal Control Systems. You don't need to extend them but you do still need to activate them. Did you activate the Panel? Sorry if this was obvious already.

No, I figured it out... it's a radiator panel from Heat Control, which doesn't have Parent Only on it, so it was just acting as part of the whole base's cooling. I'm guessing, as has been discussed before, the drills are reserving so much cooling they were starving the reactor. So I'm gonna swap it out for a normal Large Radiator Panel that -does- have Parent Cooling Only, and it should solve it.