[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

47 minutes ago, Gilph said:

I think Habs are the most logical choice.

Yes, better habs are always good, to reach the 50y cap without spamming hundreds of modules.

Another idea would of course be another tier of logistics, obviously orbital logistics comes to mind but maybe also ground transportation between remote bases, basically automating long-distance kerbal transfers. Not sure if that can even be done in KSP though

1 hour ago, jd284 said:

Yes, better habs are always good, to reach the 50y cap without spamming hundreds of modules.

Another idea would of course be another tier of logistics, obviously orbital logistics comes to mind but maybe also ground transportation between remote bases, basically automating long-distance kerbal transfers. Not sure if that can even be done in KSP though

A while back on p40 I did suggest a system that would take distance, logistics capabilities, nearby rovers etc into account-on that basis you could perhaps be able to assign a kerbal to move to any base on the planet and that kerb would, after x days (dependent on the distance, nearby rovers etc.) appear at the other base (and obvs be unavailable during transfer).

And @Urses I tried adding a Rock cfg to the kontainers, but for some reason it broke the switchable textures (so the kontainers are stuck on one texture, but the cargoes are fine-I guess it's because they don't have a defined Rock texture, why it won't accept the Dirt texture as a placeholder I don't know). The Rock did work though, and if you are willing to accept that the textures won't work or can figure out a fix, the extended cfgs are here.

Edited by voicey99

7 minutes ago, Urses said:

Thanks @voicey99 i try it out. I really appreciate it :wink:. Maybe you make a pull at RD to see Why?

It's not suitable for pulling into mainline MKS as it has no Rock texture and I've probably borked the cfg somewhere. It would be really nice if @RoverDude did (or said how to) make it work properly and include it, but he's pretty busy with other commitments atm and this is quite niche.

Spoiler

P.S. it's not really needed-the PAL Counterweight from Konstruction provides infinite rock :cool:

Edited by voicey99

14 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Reveal hidden contents

P.S. it's not really needed-the PAL Counterweight from Konstruction provides infinite rock :cool:

I know but First it feels like Cheat and Second i have gobbled a asteroidmining Base in the Girdle of GPP together.a main Base for reprocessing and a Mauler Fleet to gather A's and B's and Exploit them. "Halfway-Station". And to Patch the radial only on looks bit Crazy. And because i can't Switch the Containers i Need pure Supportrunners.

The other Ressources i can use Pilot/Enginier Combo with 5-10 Containers and a Big paint Bucket and a brush but not for Rock. :wink:

Edited by Urses

Just now, Urses said:

I know but First it feels like Cheat and Second i have gobbled a asteroidmining Base in the Girdle of GPP together.a main Base for reprocessing and a Mauler Fleet to gather A's and B's and Exploit them. "Halfway-Station". And to Patch the radial only on looks bit Crazy. And because i can't Switch the Containers i Need pure Supportrunners.

Die other Ressources i can use Pilot/Enginier Combo with 5-10 Containers and a Big paint Bucket and a brush but not for Rock. :wink:

Say what?

Just now, voicey99 said:

I mean, I can't tell what you are trying to say there. Something about an asteroid mining base?

Yes a big D with a Ressource Base on it and Fuel Produktion as a support for manned Missions in far Space. And as i try to build some selfsustaining Colonies there it's handy ro have a tankstation there. And as the D goes dry i installed tanks on it and bring Rock feom small travled near and work with Installations i have there.

15 minutes ago, Urses said:

Yes a big D with a Ressource Base on it and Fuel Produktion as a support for manned Missions in far Space. And as i try to build some selfsustaining Colonies there it's handy ro have a tankstation there. And as the D goes dry i installed tanks on it and bring Rock feom small travled near and work with Installations i have there.

Do you have USI Asteroid Recycling Technologies (ART) installed? If so, I would very much like to know how the heck you managed to move a Class D asteroid around (in ART, asteroids ignore class but can touch 100,000 tonnes)

Edited by voicey99

30 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Do you have USI Asteroid Recycling Technologies (ART) installed? If so, I would very much like to know how the heck you managed to move a Class D asteroid around (in ART, asteroids ignore class but can touch 100,000 tonnes)

Yes and no :)

I didn't moved the D. I found a D on outer orbit and installed a Base on it. And as the D goes dry i let all Industrie there and bring A's and B's there and dry them out. And because the D is on excentrical orbit i send far space ships there to switch the Crew, tank and send them farther away. You can move such a beast but if you do so you let around 60-70% of mass as Massdiver propellant behind you :) and the only way i found. Many massdrivers and "Persistant Rotation mod" for Trust without focus. You have burntimes for weeks at full Trust XD. And After i tried this One time and get many crashes i said (...)hapens. C and above will be digested on Place. But a Station on a Good big One for Communication and as support is realy nice try.

Funny Kabooms 

Urses

E: and i get Rock only with ART:wink:

Edited by Urses

Just now, Urses said:

Yes and no :)

I didn't moved the D. I found a D on outer orbit and installed a Base on it. And as the D goes dry i let all Industrie there and bring A's and B's there and dry them out. And because the D is on excentrical orbit i send far space ships there to switch the Crew, tank and send them farther away. You can move such a beast but if you do so you let around 60-70% of mass as Massdiver propellant behind you :) and the only way i found. Many massdrivers and "Persistant Rotation mod" for Trust without focus. You have burntimes for weeks at full Trust XD. And After i tried this One time and get many crashes i said (...)hapens. C and above will be digested on Place. But a Station on a Good big One for Communication and as support is realy nice try.

Was it around Dres or one of the Outer Planets from OPM (if you have CustonAsteroids)? Because asteroids are not supposed to naturally orbit Kerbin.

No, GPP = Galileos Planet Pack.

You have a Asteroid Girdle between Gael and Tellumo with around 100(?) Asteroids on Start. And they orbit the Ciro on eccentrical orbits inbetween. Tellumo is mostly inside of this girdle and it is spread between orbit 4 and 5 and some of them Cross both orbits and you have a asteroid train. Park in perigee wait for apogee start in outerspace. Or if you will back park at apogee on a big and komfortable Base and wait for a Card to go back to Gael.

7 minutes ago, Urses said:

No, GPP = Galileos Planet Pack.

You have a Asteroid Girdle between Gael and Tellumo with around 100(?) Asteroids on Start. And they orbit the Ciro on eccentrical orbits inbetween. Tellumo is mostly inside of this girdle and it is spread between orbit 4 and 5 and some of them Cross both orbits and you have a asteroid train. Park in perigee wait for apogee start in outerspace. Or if you will back park at apogee on a big and komfortable Base and wait for a Card to go back to Gael.

Will remember that for when I toy with GPP in the future (using OPM (Outer Planets Mod) right now, and if you are using it with CustomAsteroids all the outer planets (including Jool) gain sub-systems of asteroids e.g. Sarnus has a fairly dense, low-inclination, low-eccentricity asteroid belt within its rings and Plock has a very sparse population on extremely high, multi-year orbits).

Edited by voicey99

12 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Will remember that for when I toy with GPP in the future (using OPM (Outer Planets Mod) right now, and if you are using it with CustomAsteroids all the outer planets (including Jool) gain sub-systems of asteroids e.g. Sarnus has a fairly dense, low-inclination, low-eccentricity asteroid belt within its rings and Plock has a very sparse population on extremely high, multi-year orbits).

The only thing i say is, GPP is a EyeCandy and One of the worlds wich is aktualy generated for playing well with USI Constelation.

3 hours ago, jd284 said:

All things can be done :wink:  And yeah, going to start culling through some of the thoughts here and working on some concepts part wise.

Code wise, other bits are coming along very well.

@RoverDude, not sure how this plays into your plans, but planetary logistics is such a fine concept that it really ought to be usable by other mods without installing MKS.

I can envision a mod with a warehouse part and a sender/receiver part.  Attaching a specific ILM to the warehouse part let's you store that resource.  Think of the ILMs not as small buildings, but the top of silos that extend waaay underground.

The counterparts would be similar to the current power couplers, but perhaps look like mini launch pads for drones. By adding a launcher for a specific resource, you can store that resource in the warehouse.

The mechanics are similar to what you have already with the new unmanned miner parts. But using this approach provides a little more work to use PL in that you have to intentionally set up a warehouse for specific resources, rather than automatically picking up all overflow.

Combining this with other resources would then just be adding the MM configs.

Just an idea. I *really* like PL. It requires a small investment but gives a large payoff.

Edited by notthebobo

@notthebobo

Do you mean a Ranger-Stile-Modul that works as a Logisticcenter for only one Ressource? If so that is a cool idea! Specialized Aoutharvester as Minibomb in initial Phase of Colonisation. And if the Modul is switchable insitu with a Engineer... wow!

The future is domes, monorails, and either railguns or space elevators (depends on whether or not we can make something like carbon nanotubes work.)

From a game perspective, I'd love to see some stupendously large modules that are domes that can only be built in-situ. Basically 5 or 10m parts, possibly with 6 or 8 connection points.  These would also probably need some kind of built in clamp functionality otherwise they'll be kraken bait.

Space elevator / railguns would all be about moving things from surface to orbit.  I could see a space elevator being implemented as a pair of parts, one that goes into geo-synchronized orbit and one that goes on the surface.  As long as the geo-synchronized part is within a few degrees of being "above" the ground station then you allow transfers.  Railguns I'd see as requiring you to dock a rail canister, which is a configurable resource container - you then specify an orbit height, and it calculates an EC cost.  The cargo container then goes *poof*, EC is consumed and the container is placed in orbit waiting for another ship to come along and pick it up.

Landing pads could possibly be used in the reverse.  You get into orbit, and if you have sufficient fuel you can select a landing pad and the vessel is teleported there (or disappears to reappear there after an appropriate period of time.) Landing pad also functions as a specialized docking clamp and vessel is oriented so that it's "landing pad clamp part" matches up with the landing pad.

These transportation parts would be about shifting the game from the adventure if nail-biting precision landings while base building, to making logistics transport "mundane and routine" and shifting play to orbital construction and "truck or bus driving" resources or colonists between locals.  I could easily see myself spending hundreds of hours bootstrapping a colony on Minmus to make it easier to build an Ark ship in Minmus orbit to go to Duna, which upon arrival I would have the harrowing experience of landing enough equipment to keep my Ark ship alive while also building a colony on the surface.

1 hour ago, Urses said:

The only thing i say is, GPP is a EyeCandy and One of the worlds wich is aktualy generated for playing well with USI Constelation.

Absolutely...really beautiful and loads of fun.  Started a career save there and am just getting to plan my first base on Iota

1 hour ago, mcortez said:

I'd love to see some stupendously large modules that are domes that can only be built in-situ. Basically 5 or 10m parts, possibly with 6 or 8 connection points.  

Railguns I'd see as requiring you to dock a rail canister, which is a configurable resource container - you then specify an orbit height, and it calculates an EC cost.  The cargo container then goes *poof*, EC is consumed and the container is placed in orbit waiting for another ship to come along and pick it up.

Yeah, this. :):rep: Something that would look like @Domfluffs domes picture.

And the rail gun is a great replacement for at least half of orbital logistics

1 hour ago, Urses said:

@notthebobo

Do you mean a Ranger-Stile-Modul that works as a Logisticcenter for only one Ressource? If so that is a cool idea! Specialized Aoutharvester as Minibomb in initial Phase of Colonisation. And if the Modul is switchable insitu with a Engineer... wow!

I'm thinking of something more hefty, like a large dome with six to eight connection points around the perimeter for connecting containers.  Look at @Domfluffs domes picture for an idea of what I have in mind.  The central hub is the "processing plant", perhaps with landing ports on top, and the surrounding domes are the tops of the deep silos that hold indefinite amounts of a specific resource.

Wish I had modeling skills.  MS Paint is as advanced as I get.

On an unrelated issue: @RoverDude, how do the efficiency parts pair with the other modules?  I'm trying understand how to create my own, and know how to say which part grants bonuses to which converters.  What I was hoping for is that I'd be able to declare 'this part is an efficiency part for X, Y, and  Z other parts/converters', but it's looking more like there's classes of efficiency parts and converters, and each class of one pairs with the appropriate class of the other - but neither are actually defined in the config files as far as I can tell.  So how does it know which class each is in, and what are the possible classes?