[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

46 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

You will have to either import fuel for fuel cells via PL or import uraninite and refine it onboard. In both situations you will have to lug around a logistics module and a pilot, but with the latter you also have to bring a very expensive 3.75m processor too. Not that you really need to refine uranium onboard-these are some numbers I did a while back (I think the reactors are still the same, and you won't be using them at full all the time). You can cart around years and years worth of spare uranium with you as well.

Thanks. Those times are big - do you think I could add enough uranium to circumnavigate without making a rover so long it incurs the wrath of the Kraken? Or would it be just a couple radial uranium tanks? Also, can I send Depleted Uranium through planetary logistics?

1 minute ago, TDplay said:

Thanks. Those times are big - do you think I could add enough uranium to circumnavigate without making a rover so long it incurs the wrath of the Kraken? Or would it be just a couple radial uranium tanks? Also, can I send Depleted Uranium through planetary logistics?

DepFuel is also blacklisted from PL, but you can certainly make a circumnavigable rover without even adding radial tanks. As I calculated, the integrated store in a reactor can last you years, and that's at full output-and accounting for lack of full usage I think a reactor will last you long enough to go decades without having to worry about that sort of stuff. Feel free to add a couple of tanks, but reactors can go for so long I've never needed them-just note that you will have to refuel the reactor by coming within local logistics range (300m?) of another container (or on the craft itself) with EnrichedU in it and EVA, pressing the button 'perform maintenence' on the reactor. Another thing to note would be that MKS drills hog enormous amounts of cooling capacity and if you want to keep your reactors from melting you should use a Thermal Cooling System or five or static radiators-the TCS because it has so high a cooling stat it just doesn't care (but only works when landed) and the panels since they don't try and cool everything. The 'core heat transfer' stat is how much cooling it can apply to one single part.

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

DepFuel is also blacklisted from PL, but you can certainly make a circumnavigable rover without even adding radial tanks. As I calculated, the integrated store in a reactor can last you years, and that's at full output-and accounting for lack of full usage I think a reactor will last you long enough to go decades without having to worry about that sort of stuff. Feel free to add a couple of tanks, but reactors can go for so long I've never needed them-just note that you will have to refuel the reactor by coming within local logistics range (300m?) of another container (or on the craft itself) with EnrichedU in it and EVA, pressing the button 'perform maintenence' on the reactor. Another thing to note would be that MKS drills hog enormous amounts of cooling capacity and if you want to keep your reactors from melting you should use a Thermal Cooling System or five or static radiators-the TCS because it has so high a cooling stat it just doesn't care (but only works when landed) and the panels since they don't try and cool everything. The 'core heat transfer' stat is how much cooling it can apply to one single part.

Oh I forgot about the TCS. Thanks, I think you saved me 20K Duna PDUs there.

On the 'perform maintenence' on the reactor to add uranium, will a factory module that does automated maintenence fill reactors, or does it have to be done on EVA? Just for when my base gets its PDU. I'm trying to get one there ASAP so I can get more advanced things up and running.

Just now, TDplay said:

On the 'perform maintenence' on the reactor to add uranium, will a factory module that does automated maintenence fill reactors, or does it have to be done on EVA? Just for when my base gets its PDU. I'm trying to get one there ASAP so I can get more advanced things up and running.

I think automaintenance refuels reactors as well, but don't quote me on it. I've done everything manually so far since base lag, budget pressures and Captain Distracto put paid to my plans for a workshop module.

Just now, voicey99 said:

I think automaintenance refuels reactors as well, but don't quote me on it. I've done everything manually so far since base lag, budget pressures and Captain Distracto put paid to my plans for a workshop module.

Well, time for either an experiment or someone else's input. Does anybody know for sure?

1 minute ago, Nergal8617 said:

It does not, just tested it with my Mun base.  You have to shut down the reactor and transfer fuel from a container.

Then I wonder when this was changed - I know I've done that before.  (In fact, I thought it was happening on my Minmus base last time I visited - though it didn't need it, so I didn't check.)

Just now, Nergal8617 said:

I'm not sure, I just went up to my base and got the scroll of notices about automaintenence and checked my PDU, no fuel transfer.

Maybe the uranium that was added was used up

4 minutes ago, TDplay said:

Maybe the uranium that was added was used up

Nope, I checked for than.  Besides I was down two units of EU when I went up, the reactors don't use it up that fast; plus none of the EU from the storage tank on the side of the reactor was missing and that is the only other source of EU around.

Edited by Nergal8617

Also, what do 'Organics' do (they're made in most agriculture modules, ranger not included, and seem to do nothing)

Edited by TDplay
Removed unnecessary new line

1 minute ago, TDplay said:

Also, what do 'Organics' do (they're made in most agriculture modules, ranger not included, and seem to do nothing)

They're used to make Colony Supplies which are used to extend hab timers in the Kolonisation Module-which is only useful for USI-LS.

3 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

They're used to make Colony Supplies which are used to extend hab timers in the Kolonisation Module-which is only useful for USI-LS.

Oh, thanks. Ingredient to craft Colony Supplies. I need that info as I use USI-LS. Don't want the base going on strike because I forgot ^never knew how to make Colony Supplies! :blush:

Edited by TDplay

Just now, TDplay said:

Oh, thanks. Ingredient to craft Colony Supplies. I need that info as I use USI-LS. Don't want the base going on strike because I forgot how to make Colony Supplies! :blush:

You could also give them standard long habtimes, since anything >50yrs counts as infinite (>5yrs? if kolonisation rating >500%).

1 minute ago, voicey99 said:

You could also give them standard long habtimes, since anything >50yrs counts as infinite (>5yrs? if kolonisation rating >500%).

Woah, really? I never knew that!

EDIT: But the hab equipment to get 50 years hab time isn't really suitable for surface bases, the colonysupplies will probably be more space-efficient.

Edited by TDplay

12 minutes ago, TDplay said:

Woah, really? I never knew that!

EDIT: But the hab equipment to get 50 years hab time isn't really suitable for surface bases, the colonysupplies will probably be more space-efficient.

All of my surface bases have more than 50 yrs hab time for five kerbals.

32 minutes ago, Nergal8617 said:

It does not, just tested it with my Mun base.  You have to shut down the reactor and transfer fuel from a container.

It should be, I just checked the code. Are you sure you had "Local Warehouse" enabled on the EU tanks ?

14 minutes ago, TauPhraim said:

It should be, I just checked the code. Are you sure you had "Local Warehouse" enabled on the EU tanks ?

It may be because of NF Electrical.  I would have to try it with just USI mods which I may have to do anyway because something from NFE is spamming NullRef errors while my base is loaded.

And yes Local Warehouse is enable on the tanks.

Edited by Nergal8617

7 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

@RoverDude Where can I find the source for USITools? It recently stopped working with DotPeek and I can't figure out Visual Studio, so I don't currently have a way to inspect it.

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/UmbraSpaceIndustries/tree/master/USITools/USITools

1 hour ago, Nergal8617 said:
1 hour ago, TauPhraim said:

It may be because of NF Electrical.  I would have to try it with just USI mods which I may have to do anyway because something from NFE is spamming NullRef errors while my base is loaded.

And yes Local Warehouse is enable on the tanks.

So I did some testing and it turns out I was wrong, automatic maintenance does fill the EU and empty the DU on reactors.  It doesn't for me because NF Electrical changes how reactors work and how EU and DU are handled.  Now if I can just figure out why its spamming NullRef Exceptions maybe I can install it again.

8 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

Damn, I was looking in USI Core for that.

Now, what I was looking for in the first place. The ModuleAutoRepairer seems to refer to ModuleFieldRepair in general, so I don't see why it can't refuel reactors as well.

Edited by voicey99

20 hours ago, DStaal said:

I suspect they could in theory pull with a pilot - but they don't have a seat to put a pilot in...

Push only, with or without a pilot.

Sorry, catching up on forums.  Voicy99 was correct, but to be very clear, a pilot is not required to be resident in any specific vessel. I have a cluster of six vessels in my base, five logistics modules, and only one pilot. All works fine. Actually, the pilot in in the Hab vessel, the only one without a Logistics module. The pilot just has to be in a 150M range of the vessels to enable the function.