[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

I'm getting an ERR message on startup regarding the Ranger_CommPak part:

[LOG 22:45:02.667] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Ranger_CommPak/Ranger_CommPak'
[ERR 22:45:02.673] Invalid integer value! Field scienceMultiplier, value 3.75 on object of type ModuleScienceConverter

[LOG 22:45:02.693] PartLoader: Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Ranger_CommPak/Ranger_CommPak' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 22:45:02.702] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'Ranger.CommPak'

I tried to compare the ModuleScienceConverter  MODULE in this file to others and only noticed a missing property called
dataProcessingMultiplier 
However adding this property didn't change anything and an ERR message still appeared.

It's probably mostly a harmless message, but I'm trying to see if there are any I can fix with small CFG file edits.

4 minutes ago, wile1411 said:

I'm getting an ERR message on startup regarding the Ranger_CommPak part:

[LOG 22:45:02.667] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Ranger_CommPak/Ranger_CommPak'
[ERR 22:45:02.673] Invalid integer value! Field scienceMultiplier, value 3.75 on object of type ModuleScienceConverter

[LOG 22:45:02.693] PartLoader: Part 'UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/Parts/Ranger_CommPak/Ranger_CommPak' has no database record. Creating.
[LOG 22:45:02.702] DragCubeSystem: Creating drag cubes for part 'Ranger.CommPak'

I tried to compare the ModuleScienceConverter  MODULE in this file to others and only noticed a missing property called
dataProcessingMultiplier 
However adding this property didn't change anything and an ERR message still appeared.

It's probably mostly a harmless message, but I'm trying to see if there are any I can fix with small CFG file edits.

The notable line on that is probably the second one, which points to the field 'scienceMultiplier', and says it has a float instead of an integer value.  So the obvious solution is to round it to the nearest integer.

Of course, when I open up that part in my current install, that field has an integer value of '5' - so are you sure you're working with current versions?   (Either that or you should double-check to make sure there aren't any MM patches changing the multiplier on that part for you.)

10 minutes ago, DStaal said:

The notable line on that is probably the second one, which points to the field 'scienceMultiplier', and says it has a float instead of an integer value.  So the obvious solution is to round it to the nearest integer.

Of course, when I open up that part in my current install, that field has an integer value of '5' - so are you sure you're working with current versions?   (Either that or you should double-check to make sure there aren't any MM patches changing the multiplier on that part for you.)

My install also has scienceMultiplier = 5 as that was the first thing I thought to check.

I just rechecked all instances of ModuleScienceConverter and found the culprit. The below had a MM to change it to 3.75.
Gah - thanks for tip to look elsewhere and sorry to not find that before I posted the quesiton. :/
Thanks @DStaal

On 15.6.2017 at 0:15 PM, voicey99 said:

I game MKS a pretty comprehensive overview here, the section you are looking for is in the 5th paragraph after the chart. I believe the '10000' default setting for effmult is just an arbitrary number, divide by 10K to get the relative efficiency multiplier. This likely is a production multiplier for all MKS converters and drills, but I've never messed with it. See TauPhraim's post..

@JadeOfMaar Instructional video on how to use it here, link to the spreadsheet (works best in google docs) is in the desc. It also happens to be the first result on google.

ok thx

Two other things i encountered during my first mks space station:

Moduls which boost the efficiency of others needs to be 100% filed with machinery to have 100% of its boost funktions, right.

Do agriculture, refinery, recycling functions... also work this way? Do they need 100% machinery to achieve there outputs?

And if so, does 50% filled mean 50% reduction of their outputs?

Engineers can perform maintenance on parts. What does this mean simply explained?

thx in advance

€: ive a third question:

Is there any mod to see ingame resource production and consumption rates of an module or entire station?

nevermind, link is in the shared explanation about colony stats.

Edited by Roschnicron

On 23/05/2017 at 7:05 PM, voicey99 said:

RepairSkill means they can repack chutes, fix wheels etc. and refill machinery in parts (how full it is acts as a production governor, so if it's half full production is multiplied by half) on EVA or in a workshop

@Roschnicron What I mean by that is (I believe) the percentage full they are of machinery acts as a production multiplier (so if it is 3/4 full production is multiplied by 0.75). An engineer can go out on EVA and activate a function to 'pull' machinery from containers on the vessel and others within 150m into the part to refill it or simply add a ranger/tundra workshop or assembly plant and, as long as an engineer is on board, it will automatically perform that task once per day on all parts for you.

Edited by voicey99

My English is bad, I'm sorry

Hello Roverdude. I found a small bug, I play in Spanish and I realize that when I change a "drill" it tells me the game of using an engineer (when I am using it).

The error only comes out if I play in the Spanish language, if I play in English the fault is not displayed.

I leave you in an example.

Game in Spanish (bug with engineer)

http://www.subirimagenes.com/otros-screenshot5-9753536.html

---------------------------------------------------

Game in English (works perfectly)

http://www.subirimagenes.com/otros-screenshot6-9753538.html

Thanks for the mod and your attention!

Edited by Novak

15 hours ago, voicey99 said:

@Roschnicron What I mean by that is (I believe) the percentage full they are of machinery acts as a production multiplier (so if it is 3/4 full production is multiplied by 0.75). An engineer can go out on EVA and activate a function to 'pull' machinery from containers on the vessel and others within 150m into the part to refill it or simply add a ranger/tundra workshop or assembly plant and, as long as an engineer is on board, it will automatically perform that task once per day on all parts for you.

now i understand.

ive a space station with 4 kerbals in it. a nom o matic and a recycler do their job aprox 1000 days cause enough fertilizer is there.

On the life support status screen stands, sup: 7days 4hours for each kerbal. EC: 6days 1hour. but booth are running out off screen? why?

ive 100 sup and 5500 EC loaded. booth arent decreasing while i fly the station... im confused. After 6 or 7 days they start their (+15) but when i reenter the station it resets to full capacities.

i forgot where i read something about to always have a 6h capacity minimum. i think something with planetary logistics... could this be the reason why my station runs out?

It would confuse me even more cause planetary logistics doesnt interact with orbiting stations or am i wrong?

@Novak the reason you are seeing this bug is because while MKS is updated to 1.3, we haven't set up the system to allow MKS related things to use languages other than english. This is a process that takes a ton of work and while it will be done at some point in the future, RD prefers to spend his time improving the mod rather than translating it. I'm finishing school right now and I think over the summer I will try and get the whole mod translated.

Esto problema existe porque MKS está actualizado por 1.3, no está actualizado por otras idiomas. Es un proceso que necesita mucho trabajo y el señor RD prefiere pasar su tiempo trabajando mejorando los partes esenciales del MKS. Yo estoy terminando esquela ahora (toqué mi examen final de español ayer) y quiero trabajar para utilizar los otros idiomas. Lo siento por mi español malo.

3 hours ago, Roschnicron said:

now i understand.

ive a space station with 4 kerbals in it. a nom o matic and a recycler do their job aprox 1000 days cause enough fertilizer is there.

On the life support status screen stands, sup: 7days 4hours for each kerbal. EC: 6days 1hour. but booth are running out off screen? why?

ive 100 sup and 5500 EC loaded. booth arent decreasing while i fly the station... im confused. After 6 or 7 days they start their (+15) but when i reenter the station it resets to full capacities.

i forgot where i read something about to always have a 6h capacity minimum. i think something with planetary logistics... could this be the reason why my station runs out?

It would confuse me even more cause planetary logistics doesnt interact with orbiting stations or am i wrong?

The life support timer only calculates the time left based on how many supplies/EC the craft has and does not account for how much fertiliser (1 fertiliser is worth 10 supplies) you have (despite this being the most commonly requested feature on the LS thread) or power production. When you load your vessel, it triggers the catchup mechanism to give you the supplies/EC produced while you were away, refilling the containers and resetting the LS timers.

The 6h of storage refers to the fact that catchup works by giving you your backlogged production in 6h chunks, and if your vessel has <6h of storage then it won't run the full processing cycle from that chunk since you don't have anywhere to put it-this is only an issue on bases dedicated to producing stuff and pushing it to PL for storage. At the end of each chunk, a full kontainer will push to PL and empty itself ready for the next batch-you should actually have >12h of storage since kontainers only empty down to half full when pushing to PL. Orbital stations cannot use PL, but a new and improved Orbital Logistics system (stationstation, stationsurface and planetplanet transfers) will be making a return in the near-ish future.

Edited by voicey99

So I installed the entire MKS package to get the inflatable habitation ring. I put two on of these rings on a long station module. After putting the thing in space I got the message that I needed material kits too(not cool). Then I flew up a container loaded with these material kits, about 30.000, and docked the container. The ring could now be inflated from EVA. I then flew up an identical container with another 30.000 material kits for the second ring (overkill, but hey redundancy). When I docked this second container to another free docking port all the material kits were just gone, just like that. The resource tab said material kits 0/250.000 

I have no production or converting going on on the station. This accounts for one of the most infuriating episodes of KSP ever.

Edited by SkyKaptn

1 minute ago, goldenpsp said:

Let's see, installs mod without understanding how anything works

To be honest, the inflation mechanic is not exactly obvious in MKS. You have to dig through the wiki or KSPedia to learn about it. I've seen this issue coming up several times here already.

5 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

To be honest, the inflation mechanic is not exactly obvious in MKS. You have to dig through the wiki or KSPedia to learn about it. I've seen this issue coming up several times here already.

Meh,

2 clicks in the wiki gets me to the habitation ring that very clearly states the amount of material kits and EC to inflate.

[edit]

There is also a difference between coming here for questions, and a largely useless, rude, drive by complaint.

Edited by goldenpsp

[snip]

How about the fact that one hab ring takes 46000 material kits to fully inflate.  Your first 30000 only inflated it part way so they didn't disappear, they just went to finish the job.

Edited by Vanamonde
Quoting removed post.

16 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

So how come I had a few thousand left of the first 30.000 from my first inflated ring?

I'd have to look at the code to know for sure, but it is possible that when it does a partial inflation it uses increments.  For example you might have had enough Material Kits to inflate 3/4 of the way but not enough to fully inflate so it only used that many Material Kits, then used what it needed to finish from the next shipment that arrived.

21 minutes ago, MarlboroMan said:

Does anybody have a good tutorial on how to use the PAL wheels. The interface to control the joints is so bad it makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork.

Not that I am aware of.  You could peruse through @RoverDude's twitch streams where he uses them.

The inflation should not happen automatically. If you partially inflate, you will have to re-perform some manual action for further inflation to happen.

If you only have 3/4 of the materialkits, it will consume them, along with 3/4 of the required EC.

There could be bugs, but I don't think this mechanism would drain some materialkits upon docking. I suggest retrying. Maybe the 2nd kontainer was accidentally sent empty ?

23 hours ago, MarlboroMan said:

Does anybody have a good tutorial on how to use the PAL wheels. The interface to control the joints is so bad it makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a fork.

Sorry that hard work that I do for free makes you want to stab yourself in the eye with a fork.  What an inspiring post.

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde
Quoting removed post.

@RoverDude Loving the new updates so far.

Today's query:

The standard nuke reactors cap out at 100% load, but the Duna PDU exceeds that 100% limit.

I've looked thorough the .cfg's for the 2.5 nuke and the PDU but can't seem to find an entry that defines that limit.

am I looking in the wrong place, or just not recognizing the code line.

This is partially for balance during base expansion, and partially because running a nuclear reactor beyond its load max should result in quite a big boom.

On a more constructive note: I actually haven't been able to figure out the PAL crane UI either, but it hasn't been a problem, because the crane also increases the weight limit for moving nearby parts with KIS.  So instead of actually moving the crane arm around, I just park my crane rover near the part I want to move, and have the kerbal get out and move it with KIS, with implied assistance from the crane.  That's been very useful.  :)

(If I want to move the part a long distance, I just KIS-attach it to the crane rover and drive it around that way.)

Edit: Oops, realized that the (non-constructive) criticism I was responding to was actually about the PAL wheels, not the cranes.  Anyway, point still stands: I like the cranes' KIS assistance.

Edited by Wyzard

17 hours ago, Nergal8617 said:

I'd have to look at the code to know for sure, but it is possible that when it does a partial inflation it uses increments.  For example you might have had enough Material Kits to inflate 3/4 of the way but not enough to fully inflate so it only used that many Material Kits, then used what it needed to finish from the next shipment that arrived.

You were right. In the first pic I have loaded 51200 material kits in a container and docked. After inflating ring #2 I had 44800 left. On the other hand, this mechanics is not stated in the wiki. There should be some info of this when right-clicking a semi-constructed part I belive.

ddmC2Np.png

wGaMBvt.png

Edited by SkyKaptn

7 minutes ago, SkyKaptn said:

You were right. In the first pic I have loaded 51200 material kits in a container and docked. After inflating ring #2 I had 44800 left. On the other hand, this mechanics is not stated in the wiki. There should be some info of this when right-clicking a semi-constructed part I believe.

It's a new mechanic so chances are nobody's added it to the wiki just yet-feel free to edit the relevant section or wait for the usual suspects (dboi, dstaal, notthebobo etc.) to do it.

P.S. where are those gold-backed solar panels from?

Edited by voicey99