[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

21 hours ago, Aelfhe1m said:

The patch for the COT-250 is already part of MKS. I just modded the values slightly for the COT-125 - they would need to be checked for balance though.

I can confirm the COT-125 patch you wrote does indeed work.  However, I discovered the hard way that Nertea's CryoTanks also seems to have a patch specific to the COT-250 that enables resource flow.  And it's a much denser patch to pick through, so I haven't attempted to tweak it yet.  Without it, cryogenic ZBO tanks and modded stock tanks show "Liquid Hydrogen Full" when the COT-125 is set to H20Splitting mode, and won't fill up.

The good news is I think I found a work-around where a CryoTanks part (or modded stock tank) seems to have resource flow enabled when directly attached to an MKS Kontainer.  I just add a 0.313m Kontainer Tank on top of my cryo tank stack, and everything works, even after the small tank is full.  What's weird is I've made resources flow to the cryo tanks after later removing the MKS tank from the craft, so there seems to be some level of patch persistence, but I'm not sure under what conditions it would reset.

Regarding balance, I'd suggest consistency with the Ore-to-LH2/Ox conversion efficiency difference between the COT-125 and -250, but I don't have heartburn with the current stats as I have no sense of scale for how much water there is to work with at a given harvesting site before the well goes dry.

So what's the etiquette in this situation?  Should I submit a Pull Request (with credit to you) on MKS GitHub or should it be submitted as an Issue with ref to this thread?  If this gets accepted for MKS, I'd probably submit a similar request on CryoTanks for the resource flow patch.

Nowhere is the effect that medbays and colonization modules have on home time documented in numerical terms, So I'm taking a guess at how it works

https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/search?utf8=✓&q=TimeMultiplier&type=

Seems to show that all the med bay and colonization modules share a parameter called TimeMultiplier. It is correct to say that if the duna medbay has a TimeMultiplier of 2, then it runs the kerbal-under-treatment's home and hab timers backwards at 2x speed while active?

Also, the wiki says "Once your Hab timers reach the same level as the highest Habitat they've been in, the Colonization Module will freeze the Hab Timers at their maximum amount."

Does that mean it will freeze at the highest value of the largest habitat the kerbal has been in, if one kerbal were alone in it, or the highest share of a habitat the kerbal under treatment has ever experienced?

Edited by nhnifong

1 hour ago, nhnifong said:

Also, the wiki says "Once your Hab timers reach the same level as the highest Habitat they've been in, the Colonization Module will freeze the Hab Timers at their maximum amount."

Does that mean it will freeze at the highest value of the largest habitat the kerbal has been in, if one kerbal were alone in it, or the highest share of a habitat the kerbal under treatment has ever experienced?

Probably the highest share, since the vessel's hab value itself depends on the number of kerbals, so the "if one kerbal were alone" amount does not actually exist.

But anyway, I don't think what is described is implemented: I'd say timers are pushed back with no limit.

23 hours ago, voicey99 said:

Yes, I did mean for you to do it at the time, but you've done it now. I might suggest putting a little more description into the ticket, but don't be so worried about doing stuff on GH. Ask me if you don't know how to do something.

I think I have successfully created a pull request for the resolution of this issue. :)

Just now, canisin said:

I think I have successfully created a pull request for the resolution of this issue. :)

The pull request is up, RD will eventually get round to merging it in if it works (I can't tell, I don't know C#). As an FYI, RD prefers for PRs to be submitted to the dev branch rather than master, but it's not a huge deal.

4 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

The pull request is up, RD will eventually get round to merging it in if it works (I can't tell, I don't know C#). As an FYI, RD prefers for PRs to be submitted to the dev branch rather than master, but it's not a huge deal.

Oh I am sorry. I should have known better but I have just recently begun using git in general, and this is the first time I have ever done anything on github. I just created an account so that I can add a comment to the relevant issue. I had intended to note the relevant file and change in a comment to the issue, but when I created an account, github allowed me to edit the file, and I kind of got excited! :) haha

Anyways, I hope my contribution will be helpful! :D

5 minutes ago, canisin said:

Oh I am sorry. I should have known better but I have just recently begun using git in general, and this is the first time I have ever done anything on github. I just created an account so that I can add a comment to the relevant issue. I had intended to note the relevant file and change in a comment to the issue, but when I created an account, github allowed me to edit the file, and I kind of got excited! :) haha

Anyways, I hope my contribution will be helpful! :D

I'm sure it will-pity it'll only be for the 1.3 version. Most people need to be told how to make GH PRs, so you're doing well. If you're going to be editing multiple files at once, I might suggest using the 'GitHub Desktop' program, which allows you to edit local copies of the files on your computer (use MS Virtual Studio to edit the source files, there should be a .csproj file in the directory that allows you to edit all the source files from one location), and include multiple file changes in one commit rather than spam them like one of mine before I started using GH DP.

Edited by voicey99

4 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

I'm sure it will-pity it'll only be for the 1.3 version. Most people need to be told how to make GH PRs, so you're doing well. If you're going to be editing multiple files at once, I might suggest using the 'GitHub Desktop' program, which allows you to edit local copies of the files on your computer (use MS Virtual Studio to edit the source files, there should be a .csproj file in the directory that allows you to edit all the source files from one location), and include multiple file changes in one commit rather than spam them like one of mine before I started using GH DP.

Thanks. I don't know how much more I'll get to contribute. I am a professional software developer myself. So if I get going with bigger changes I'll make sure to clone the repository and work locally on VS. But even on the web interface, I feel like gh would provide the ability combine multiple edits into a single commit, which would then become a single pr, etc.

Btw, for anyone else who has been looking for a work around, I have checked out the cost calculation, and as far as I can tell, as long as you are not using customized kerbals, you can rebate yourself the cost for hiring kolonists proportional to their default costs. That is to say, if you are using default configs, the base cost of a kerbonaut is 50k, whereas the cost of a kolonist is only 1k. This base gets modified by a number of factors. All of these factors apply multiplicatively except for the costs of customizing a kerbal. But if you are not using the customization option, and hiring a kolonists costs you 150k, you can rebate yourself via the cheat menu knowing that kolonist should have costed you 3k! (150k/50k * 1k)

Hey everyone

I recently got back to KSP again, after some months. I started with a clean install and added a selection of mods. Upon loading it for the first time, it crashed. After some fiddling, I figured out that MKS was the culprit. Judging from the loading screen, it seems to be doing...something with Module Manager when it dies.
I've uploaded the error logs to dropbox in case anyone wants to have a look at them.

If anyone had an idea as to what might be going wrong, it would be greatly appreciated since I consider MKS to be one of my essential mods.

Been playing with some designs to make Kerbals happy for long voyages and I find myself disagreeing with one decision:

Cupolas are listed as providing a multiplier for one Kerbal.  I find that strange as a cupola is not something that is going to be used anything remotely like 24/7 and thus multiple Kerbals should be able to benefit. 

45 minutes ago, SyrusDrake said:

Hey everyone

I recently got back to KSP again, after some months. I started with a clean install and added a selection of mods. Upon loading it for the first time, it crashed. After some fiddling, I figured out that MKS was the culprit. Judging from the loading screen, it seems to be doing...something with Module Manager when it dies.
I've uploaded the error logs to dropbox in case anyone wants to have a look at them.

If anyone had an idea as to what might be going wrong, it would be greatly appreciated since I consider MKS to be one of my essential mods.

You're using an outdated version of MM and you might be using outdated versions of MKS as well. Seeing as you are just using MKS (according to your log), delete everything except for the Squad folder and reinstall the latest release (it has everything you need).

1 hour ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

You're using an outdated version of MM and you might be using outdated versions of MKS as well. Seeing as you are just using MKS (according to your log), delete everything except for the Squad folder and reinstall the latest release (it has everything you need).

Ah...I feel really stupid now...

Thanks for the help!

35 minutes ago, Benji13 said:

Are there any plans to make this compatible with RO/RP-0? eg Include a patch that adds them in?

RO/RP0 is so big, I'm not sure it would be a matter of "just a patch". On the other hand, maybe it just works already without patches, have you noted problems ?

But it's also so much harder than stock that I wonder what kolonization you could achieve. Even the Moon seems out of reach to me.

Well all the patch would have to do (as far as I know) would be to put all the USI parts in to proper tech tree nodes along with realistic prices. 

29 minutes ago, TauPhraim said:

RO/RP0 is so big, I'm not sure it would be a matter of "just a patch". On the other hand, maybe it just works already without patches, have you noted problems ?

But it's also so much harder than stock that I wonder what kolonization you could achieve. Even the Moon seems out of reach to me.

5 hours ago, Benji13 said:

Well all the patch would have to do (as far as I know) would be to put all the USI parts in to proper tech tree nodes along with realistic prices. 

MKS is compatible with the community tech tree, and if RO has a different tech tree, and there is not yet a config to support it, then RoverDude accepts Pull Requests if you would like to add it yourself.

10 hours ago, Benji13 said:

Are there any plans to make this compatible with RO/RP-0? eg Include a patch that adds them in?

MKS also has patches for the RO mods CLS, DRE, FiltexExt, RemTech, TAC-LS and KAS already. Right now, patches are low-priority.

Edited by voicey99

KSP: 1.2.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

Problem: MKS Karibou hull glitch with JSI Advanced transparent Pods mod.

Mods:

Toolbar - 1.7.13

Community Resource Pack - 0.6.5

Firespitter - 7.5.1

JSIAdvTransparentPods - 0.1.13

RasterPropMonitor - 0.28

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2

USI Core - 0.3.7

Karbonite - 0.8.8

Konstruction - 0.1.10

MKS - 0.50.14

Reproduction: When I launch the rover, the entire hull glitches between a transparent overlay and the default opaque overlay.

Linkshttps://www.dropbox.com/sh/cmatp3u9zfzfbcb/AACzV9WFpvNgacQ5d9ZWHlp3a?dl=0

Also: There is the following module in the karibou rover config file:

MODULE

{

name = JSIAdvTransparentPod

transparentTransforms = MainHull_000

}

3 hours ago, Wojtek_ftw said:

KSP: 1.2.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit

Problem: MKS Karibou hull glitch with JSI Advanced transparent Pods mod.

Mods:

Toolbar - 1.7.13

Community Resource Pack - 0.6.5

Firespitter - 7.5.1

JSIAdvTransparentPods - 0.1.13

RasterPropMonitor - 0.28

KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2

USI Core - 0.3.7

Karbonite - 0.8.8

Konstruction - 0.1.10

MKS - 0.50.14

Reproduction: When I launch the rover, the entire hull glitches between a transparent overlay and the default opaque overlay.

Linkshttps://www.dropbox.com/sh/cmatp3u9zfzfbcb/AACzV9WFpvNgacQ5d9ZWHlp3a?dl=0

Also: There is the following module in the karibou rover config file:

MODULE

{

transparentTransforms = MainHull_000

}

what about the 1.3 version?

1 hour ago, goldenpsp said:

what about the 1.3 version?

Can confirm this also happens with KSP 1.3, MKS 0.52.1 (latest constellation download with updated USI Tools 0.9.2) and JSIAdvTransparentPods 0.1.14

Spoiler

Also some of the MKS parts are showing transparency cutaways by default where they shouldn't (e.g. the Tundra agriculture modules). I'm working my way through the parts to compile a complete list. Done - see below

The ag module can be patched to disable transparent pods by adding:

Spoiler

@PART[Tundra_Agriculture*]:NEEDS[MKS,JSIAdvTransparentPods]       
{         
	MODULE         
	{         
		transparentPodSetting = OFF
	}         
}  

Edit: so far most Tundra parts seem to have the unwanted transparency issue - probably because of the placeholder interiors being autodetected by jsi?

Edit2: Finished checking all the USI parts.

• Duna and Ranger parts are OK (non-transparent).
  • Otter cab has same issue as Karibou.
  • Malemute, Honeybadger. AES, HERP and all passenger cabs have no issues (no transparencies).
Edited by Aelfhe1m
added info

Minor bug that I think must have been due to this mod:

Routine rescue contract about the Mun.  The Kerbal I pulled in was a tourist.  He had no problems EVAing over to my rocket, though.

Update:  The mission got home.  I have a Tourist in my roster.

Edited by Loren Pechtel

I am planning on writing some RP0 patches for these parts and was wondering, does anyone know how well the costs of these parts compare to (theoretical) costs in real life? I'm guessing that the prices will have to go up to be more realistic. Thanks.