[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

I haven't had much time to poke around this, so maybe it's just me being dumb, but where can I find that command module from the second picture in the title card? The only pod that I see is the really flat one. Is it built into a Tundra part, or is it from a separate mod?

1 minute ago, TronX33 said:

I haven't had much time to poke around this, so maybe it's just me being dumb, but where can I find that command module from the second picture in the title card? The only pod that I see is the really flat one. Is it built into a Tundra part, or is it from a separate mod?

It's in there but it unlocks deep in the tech tree.  It's huge, it's meant for endgame.

23 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Is it safe to remove Ground Construction?  I gave it a shot but either I did something really wrong or you have to send up a DIY kit for every craft you want to build which completely defeats the purpose of off-world construction.

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that one is a hard dependency.

2 minutes ago, TronX33 said:

The Orca command pod is from the USI FTT mod not MKS and like @Alshain says it unlocks near the end of the tech tree as do other very large parts from the same mod.

I just tested the assembly plant and I am showing the same efficiency issue. Adding 8 ranger inflatable workshops only increases load from 195% to 299% instead of 5406%. That is only giving me 1/50 of the efficiency improvement I expect. Is there a config option I broke somewhere?

Thanks for your help everyone. Am I doing some of the math wrong? Is it working normally for others? I am using KSP 1.3.0, usi constellation with updates. usi core 0.4.1.0, mks 0.52.1.0, usi tools 0.9.2.0. I installed the updates from july 11th when troubleshooting this and there didn't seem to be any change in behavior. Everything else seems to be working.

6 hours ago, DStaal said:

While I believe there's a small tax to PL, what you're seeing is mostly consistent with not having enough storage.  You need to have enough storage to half-empty it every six hours - so my rule of thumb is 13 hours worth.

Thanks!  I did a little more playing around that mostly confirmed what you say here.  (That half-empty every six hours didn't seem to bear out exactly, but it's as likely an Excel-fail on my part as anything.)  I think the rule of thumb can be simplified to this: a 4500 tank will simply do for whatever you need; much less than that probably won't.  I can't find any evidence for a tax on Planetary Logistics in general.  If there is one, it's too small to be noticeable.

4500 is enough, practically speaking:  If you've got more than one drill head or are drilling in an especially rich area, you'll lose stuff at 4500 units, but unless your goal is to coat the planetary body in a layer of Colony Supplies 3 meters deep, you'll still get enough production with 4500.

So naturally, I'm going with large or huge tanks for my bases from now on.  I'm thinking back to a comment on a Marcus House video

"That rocket's not very aerodynamic..."

"Given enough T/W, everything's aerodynamic."

I am breathing deeply the wisdom of the master.

I've read all the faqs and i still have a couple questions regarding kolonization dashboard bonus and courage.

1) There are 3 categories Geology, Botonamy, and Kolonization. An engineer, pilot, and scientist raise these 3 categories over time. So if i have 1 of each the bonus percentage goes up at the same time, if i have more engineers then geology raises faster and drills/sifters/manufacturing works faster. But what about the other 10 kerbal classes? Such as farmer on https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Crew-Skills-Impact-on-Parts#mechanic "They contribute to science research, as well as colonization." . The terminology here is very unclear because its inconsistent with in-game description of the classes and the FAQ section. Does a farmer increase kolony rewards via pioneer module or does he contribute to the 2 of the 3 categories? The main 3 classes list in FAQ list this topic as "Geology, Botonomy,and Kolonization" research bonus, or does this mean none of the 10 classes beside the main 3 advance these bonuses?

Also do these bonuses for the planet increase from having crewed orbital bases?  I know crew quantity affects how fast the bonuses grow, but does experience help it progress as well?

In either case what is the point of the 10 additional classes if they cost the same amount as a engineer, pilot, & scientist. Is there a single advantage?

2) Does courage play a roll in USI?

Thanks.

Edited by protoz

8 hours ago, thadeausmaximus said:

Thanks for your help everyone. Am I doing some of the math wrong? Is it working normally for others? I am using KSP 1.3.0, usi constellation with updates. usi core 0.4.1.0, mks 0.52.1.0, usi tools 0.9.2.0. I installed the updates from july 11th when troubleshooting this and there didn't seem to be any change in behavior. Everything else seems to be working.

I made a test setup in 0.50.18 (the final 1.2 release) and everything is in order there, giving me the expected massive bonuses. Maybe something changed between my version and yours?

4 hours ago, protoz said:

I've read all the faqs and I still have a couple questions regarding kolonization dashboard bonus and courage.

1) There are 3 categories Geology, Botany, and Kolonization. An engineer, pilot, and scientist raise these 3 categories over time. So if i have 1 of each the bonus percentage goes up at the same time, if i have more engineers then geology raises faster and drills/sifters/manufacturing works faster. But what about the other 10 kerbal classes? Such as farmer on https://github.com/UmbraSpaceIndustries/MKS/wiki/Crew-Skills-Impact-on-Parts#mechanic "They contribute to science research, as well as colonization." . The terminology here is very unclear because its inconsistent with in-game description of the classes and the FAQ section. Does a farmer increase kolony rewards via pioneer module or does he contribute to the 2 of the 3 categories? The main 3 classes list in FAQ list this topic as "Geology, Botany,and Kolonization" research bonus, or does this mean none of the 10 classes beside the main 3 advance these bonuses?

Also do these bonuses for the planet increase from having crewed orbital bases?  I know crew quantity affects how fast the bonuses grow, but does experience help it progress as well?

In either case what is the point of the 10 additional classes if they cost the same amount as a engineer, pilot, & scientist. Is there a single advantage?

Check the table. FundsBoost means they accrue funds in the Pioneer and increase the geo rating, ScienceBoost means they generate science points and biology rating and RepBoost means they amass rep points and kolonisation rating. That article is on my todo list with regards to clarification and updating, after Manufacturing. Kerbals on-orbit either don't generate points or do so extremely slowly (the dashboard applet is broken so I have to tell by the production of modules increasing). Skill does not affect growth rate. The point of the kolonist classes is to give you hordes of cheap (currently bugged, prices will be fixed soonTM), single-purpose kerbals to pack off to your kolonies as each one increases ratings at the same pace as their more expensive multiskilled counterparts. They are basically filler kerbals to pack out your bases and generate points while still being able to collectively perform the functions of the main classes (each kolonist has one skill) while leaving them free for your main missions.

4 hours ago, protoz said:

2) Does courage play a role in USI?

The search button is at the top of the page, use it.

Edited by voicey99

I just tested with a clean install of KSP win64 1.3 and only USI Constellation 2017.05.28 with the same results; efficiency parts give 1:50 the bonus expected. So I tried again with a clean install of KSP win64 1.3 and only MKS 0.52.1.0 with the same results; efficiency parts give 1:50 the bonus expected. I tried a clean install of KSP 1.2.2 with USI Constellation ver 2017.05.07.01.pre and it worked as expected.

16 hours ago, thadeausmaximus said:

I just tested the assembly plant and I am showing the same efficiency issue. Adding 8 ranger inflatable workshops only increases load from 195% to 299% instead of 5406%. That is only giving me 1/50 of the efficiency improvement I expect. Is there a config option I broke somewhere?

Obvious question.   Machinery is present?   

I had a thought of a part that would be very useful:  You already have extensible legs.  How about putting wheels on them that can be rotated in the VAB?  While most of the modules appear square their connectors are based on them being round.  Attaching 4 wheels pointed in the same direction is a pain and the reality is that the rockets generally can't be landed close enough to each other for base building.

57 minutes ago, thadeausmaximus said:

All of the results are with machinery present. There appears to be a change between 1.2.2 and 1.3 that is causing the efficiency parts bonus to be 1:50th of what it used to be. I take it that this wasn't an intentional balance change?

TBH need to play with it and see what's up.

Hi @RoverDude and other colonization enthusiasts,

I have a question. I am going to continue my attempt of colonizing another star system, combining MKS, KSPI and some Kopernicus planet pack. Since my last play-through MKS has swapped out it's construction method for Ground Construction. I like that mod, I like the relative simplicity, but there is one thing I cannot work with, and that is the fact that I need to bring something to the construction colony, namely a blueprint. I would like to continue to be 100% (100%) self-sufficient and build stuff completely independent of any other Kerbalized location. Being in another star system makes the blueprint approach impractical, at least, that is not a restriction I am prepared to work with.

Is there a way of getting around that? Maybe use the old mods, or make some change to ground construction? Or is there another mod that I can add that expands capability towards my play style (maybe one that lets me build a full blown space center on another planet)?

Any advice you might have is greatly welcomed! Thanks in advance :)

Dr. Scarlett

1 minute ago, DrScarlett said:

Hi @RoverDude and other colonization enthusiasts,

I have a question. I am going to continue my attempt of colonizing another star system, combining MKS, KSPI and some Kopernicus planet pack. Since my last play-through MKS has swapped out it's construction method for Ground Construction. I like that mod, I like the relative simplicity, but there is one thing I cannot work with, and that is the fact that I need to bring something to the construction colony, namely a blueprint. I would like to continue to be 100% (100%) self-sufficient and build stuff completely independent of any other Kerbalized location. Being in another star system makes the blueprint approach impractical, at least, that is not a restriction I am prepared to work with.

Is there a way of getting around that? Maybe use the old mods, or make some change to ground construction? Or is there another mod that I can add that expands capability towards my play style (maybe one that lets me build a full blown space center on another planet)?

Any advice you might have is greatly welcomed! Thanks in advance :)

Dr. Scarlett

You can still use EPL to make MKS parts, as the community keeps the legacy EPL patch reasonably up to date. Manufacturing DIYKits offworld is being worked on but won't appear for some time. OSE would work as well, if you can navigate container volume limits and the cumbersome nature of installing large parts using KIS.

49 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

You can still use EPL to make MKS parts, as the community keeps the legacy EPL patch reasonably up to date. Manufacturing DIYKits offworld is being worked on but won't appear for some time. OSE would work as well, if you can navigate container volume limits and the cumbersome nature of installing large parts using KIS.

@voicey99: Thank you very much! Installed EPL, plus EPL-No More Production, seems to be working fine! Anything to pay particular attention to?

Just now, DrScarlett said:

@voicey99: Thank you very much! Installed EPL, plus EPL-No More Production, seems to be working fine! Anything to pay particular attention to?

You might want to watch out if you're planning to use the two special EPL-compatible parts in MKS over the default EPL methods, since a) the form factor they were designed for has long since been depreciated out of the mod and b) they too will be depreciated and removed in the future (thus breaking saves).

Just now, voicey99 said:

You might want to watch out if you're planning to use the two special EPL-compatible parts in MKS over the default EPL methods, since a) the form factor they were designed for has long since been depreciated out of the mod and b) they too will be depreciated and removed in the future (thus breaking saves).

Which parts are those?

31 minutes ago, DrScarlett said:

Which parts are those?

Those would be the Orbital Shipyard and Mobile Launch Platform. Also, what do you mean by 'EPL-No More Production'? Can't say I've ever heard of it.

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 2:50 AM, NermNermNerm said:

Thanks!  I did a little more playing around that mostly confirmed what you say here.  (That half-empty every six hours didn't seem to bear out exactly, but it's as likely an Excel-fail on my part as anything.)  I think the rule of thumb can be simplified to this: a 4500 tank will simply do for whatever you need; much less than that probably won't.  I can't find any evidence for a tax on Planetary Logistics in general.  If there is one, it's too small to be noticeable.

4500 is enough, practically speaking:  If you've got more than one drill head or are drilling in an especially rich area, you'll lose stuff at 4500 units, but unless your goal is to coat the planetary body in a layer of Colony Supplies 3 meters deep, you'll still get enough production with 4500.

So naturally, I'm going with large or huge tanks for my bases from now on.  I'm thinking back to a comment on a Marcus House video

"That rocket's not very aerodynamic..."

"Given enough T/W, everything's aerodynamic."

I am breathing deeply the wisdom of the master.

There are two high volume resources you need to pay attention to: minerals and silicates. As you progress, you can easily use 10,000 of these per day, especially when your bonuses start to exceed 300%.  I started using the 3.75 tanks (15,000 I think) for these and it cleared up a lot of my manufacturing issues

7 minutes ago, voicey99 said:

Those would be the Orbital Shipyard and Mobile Launch Platform. Also, what do you mean by 'EPL-No More Production'? Can't say I've ever heard of it.

Thank you! So that means use the KS-OCD Orbital Construction dock in stead of the orbital shipyard. And use the stakes and a regular workshop on the surface.

EPL No More Production removes all the production stuff from EPL (Rocketparts etc) that you do not need when you use MKS. Keeps it neat :)

Edited by DrScarlett