[1.12.x] - Modular Kolonization System (MKS)

RoverDude

I'm running into a problem where the TAC-LS.cfg file seems to be broken / breaking things. With it active, several of the TAC-LS converters seem to be disabled or at least broken, resulting in something that looks like this:

XqHDXrt.png

In addition, the file appears not to work correctly in changing the USI-LS converters within the MKS parts over to work with TAC-LC resources (at least that seems to be its purpose from my reading of the cfg), as can be seen here:

D0lzymZ.png

There is a line in the file alluding to a need of having USI-LS installed in order the converters to work correctly which I tried, but made no difference in the outcome, leaving the old USI-LS converters in place and breaking the TAC-LS converters. I will say that I'm not 100% sure that the error is contained only within this file, but I do know that disabling this one file at least fixes the TAC-LS converters. That said, I've never been very adept at working with MM files and definitely don't have the skill to figure out where things are going wrong here, so I'm really hoping someone with more experience / understanding can help me figure this out.

Thanks.

Edited by SpacedInvader

Probably not the right forum for this, but I ask because this occurred after the last upgrade (not saying it's a causal link) and because this community is awesome.

When I attempt to target a landed object, I have about a 60% chance that the game will hard freeze.

I'm not sure how to even begin troubleshooting this.  "Hey dummy" links to instructions will be appreciated.

10 minutes ago, Baladain said:

Probably not the right forum for this, but I ask because this occurred after the last upgrade (not saying it's a causal link) and because this community is awesome.

When I attempt to target a landed object, I have about a 60% chance that the game will hard freeze.

I'm not sure how to even begin troubleshooting this.  "Hey dummy" links to instructions will be appreciated.

Well you've been around long enough to know the basics of what people would need to even begin to help, like mods used, logfiles, things you have done to test (like removing mods).  And correct there is a modded tech support forum that would probably be better for this.

2 hours ago, RoverDude said:

hm, unfortunately I don't use TAC-LS these days, but I expect one of the folks that helped with the configs can chime in?

As always, if someone sorts this I take pull requests :)

I've actually managed to summon up my long lost modding skills and figure out whats going wrong. Its actually two separate issues.

1: The TAC-LS.cfg MM file targets parts with [*_AgModule] and [*_Aeroponics] to get at the relevant parts, but unfortunately, somewhere along the line those naming conventions were changed and now only the Ranger modules use either (Ranger_Agmodule). Seems like a quick fix would be to simply unify the two sections into one targeting [*_Agriculture*].

2: The TAC-LS converters breaking is actually related to a third mod (SETIrebalance in case anyone is experiencing this issue in the future) attempting to recalibrate their function by using an old syntax for the TacGenericConverter which was breaking those parts. I will bring this issue up in that mod's thread, though I'm still at a loss as to why the TAC-LS.cfg file would have any affect on this issue (renaming that file to .bak still fixes the converters).

Edited by SpacedInvader

I'm having a -maddening- issue with the  MKS Kerbitrail(tm) FlexOTube . Despite being 10 feet away and facing exactly at each other, they refuse to link, for any reason. Here's a screenshot. Any attempts at linking are met with "Max angle or length reached, cannot link!" 

n2AipM9.jpg

Edited by Rarenth

4 hours ago, Baladain said:

I'm fairly sure that's caused by KerbalEngineer when you have the Rendezvous window open.

38 minutes ago, Rarenth said:

I'm having a -maddening- issue with the  MKS Kerbitrail(tm) FlexOTube . Despite being 10 feet away and facing exactly at each other, they refuse to link, for any reason. Here's a screenshot. Any attempts at linking are met with "Max angle or length reached, cannot link!" 

Sounds like one of them, probably your target port, is mounted the wrong way. If you can read "this side towards ship", it won't work.

3 hours ago, Rarenth said:

Likely backwards.  And pro-tip:  Please post screenshots in daylight.

4 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

I've actually managed to summon up my long lost modding skills and figure out whats going wrong. Its actually two separate issues.

1: The TAC-LS.cfg MM file targets parts with [*_AgModule] and [*_Aeroponics] to get at the relevant parts, but unfortunately, somewhere along the line those naming conventions were changed and now only the Ranger modules use either (Ranger_Agmodule). Seems like a quick fix would be to simply unify the two sections into one targeting [*_Agriculture*].

2: The TAC-LS converters breaking is actually related to a third mod (SETIrebalance in case anyone is experiencing this issue in the future) attempting to recalibrate their function by using an old syntax for the TacGenericConverter which was breaking those parts. I will bring this issue up in that mod's thread, though I'm still at a loss as to why the TAC-LS.cfg file would have any affect on this issue (renaming that file to .bak still fixes the converters).

There's a different TAC-LS config floating around that the community was working on...

3 hours ago, RoverDude said:

Likely backwards.  And pro-tip:  Please post screenshots in daylight.

There's a different TAC-LS config floating around that the community was working on...

I've not been able to find this through searching the thread, does it currently exist and I'm just not finding it, or is it in the works and not released in any form as of yet?

3 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

I've not been able to find this through searching the thread, does it currently exist and I'm just not finding it, or is it in the works and not released in any form as of yet?

From the Wiki

TAC-USI support (alpha) for 0.50.0

Created by forum user Paul23 The patch is still quite barebones: many USI parts become quite useless together with TAC (kerbitat etc). I have chosen to not do a 1-on-1 conversion of supplies -> (food/water/oxygen) with the agroponics. Rather the agroponics provides food and a small amount of oxygen. Actually the food/(co2 -> o2) distribution depends on the way you create the food (cultivate etc). I've done this to keep a bit in the spirit of both USI and TAC: different resources and a tree to produce those.

I've also updated all containers, the non liquid containers contain food & waste. The liquid containers contain water/wastewater/oxygen/carbondioxide. To keep the same number of days/container for resources I had to "nerf" the amount of water by a huge amount. (Otherwise MKS would outshine any of the TAC water containers by a magnitude of 100) - however i might change this back if it interferes too much with USI itself.

Download

Please contact forum user Paul23 with any feedback or issues.

8 hours ago, dboi88 said:

From the Wiki

TAC-USI support (alpha) for 0.50.0

Created by forum user Paul23 The patch is still quite barebones: many USI parts become quite useless together with TAC (kerbitat etc). I have chosen to not do a 1-on-1 conversion of supplies -> (food/water/oxygen) with the agroponics. Rather the agroponics provides food and a small amount of oxygen. Actually the food/(co2 -> o2) distribution depends on the way you create the food (cultivate etc). I've done this to keep a bit in the spirit of both USI and TAC: different resources and a tree to produce those.

I've also updated all containers, the non liquid containers contain food & waste. The liquid containers contain water/wastewater/oxygen/carbondioxide. To keep the same number of days/container for resources I had to "nerf" the amount of water by a huge amount. (Otherwise MKS would outshine any of the TAC water containers by a magnitude of 100) - however i might change this back if it interferes too much with USI itself.

Download

Please contact forum user Paul23 with any feedback or issues.

Thank you

I'm getting back into KSP and I reinstalled all my favorite mods but Im having trouble with the new crew specialties. I have a station set up around the Mun and am trying to use the science lab to farm some juicy knowledge but it keeps saying I don't have any scientists on board. I currently have a Farmer and a Biologist in the lab since their tool tips suggested they help with science but its still not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I cant move on to bigger better things until I figure this out.

22 hours ago, Baladain said:

I am getting that as well too, it's an odd freeze too.  Just started in the last 3 days.

22 minutes ago, HunterForce said:

I'm getting back into KSP and I reinstalled all my favorite mods but Im having trouble with the new crew specialties. I have a station set up around the Mun and am trying to use the science lab to farm some juicy knowledge but it keeps saying I don't have any scientists on board. I currently have a Farmer and a Biologist in the lab since their tool tips suggested they help with science but its still not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I cant move on to bigger better things until I figure this out.

The error message is not lying. You need a Scientist, not just "someone who can help with science stuff."

Generally, the new crew professions are cut-rate versions of full Kerbonaut training. None of them can do everything their parent class can do. They're also very optional, you can absolutely do everything you need with just Pilots, Engineers, and Scientists.

Just now, zabieru said:

The error message is not lying. You need a Scientist, not just "someone who can help with science stuff."

Generally, the new crew professions are cut-rate versions of full Kerbonaut training. None of them can do everything their parent class can do. They're also very optional, you can absolutely do everything you need with just Pilots, Engineers, and Scientists.

I considered using just scientists but my roster is 19 out of 12 from rescue missions and I only have 1 (Bob) Scientist. Is there anyway to either disable the new specializations since they aren't necessary? Whats the best solution to this?

24 minutes ago, HunterForce said:

I considered using just scientists but my roster is 19 out of 12 from rescue missions and I only have 1 (Bob) Scientist. Is there anyway to either disable the new specializations since they aren't necessary? Whats the best solution to this?

You can't really disable them at this point, but you can always dismiss the kerbals you don't need.  There will always be more rescue missions.

2 minutes ago, Baladain said:

You can't really disable them at this point, but you can always dismiss the kerbals you don't need.  There will always be more rescue missions.

Damn, I was afraid of that. I generally enjoy rescue missions but I dont want to waste all my time on them. Maybe I'll have to try some cofig editing.

6 minutes ago, HunterForce said:

Damn, I was afraid of that. I generally enjoy rescue missions but I dont want to waste all my time on them. Maybe I'll have to try some cofig editing.

Alternately, just cheat yourself enough cash to unlock unlimited kerbals at the astronaut complex

Edited by Baladain

As I already suggested a Kerbal re-training would really enhance MKS .. reading all the previous posts.

Imagine you could train a biologist up to beeing a full scientist with ofc time, funds and maybe research points as cost, multiple professions might just be too complicated tho. (you might never dismiss a Kerbal anymore :P)

.. but that's just an idea and might sadly never considered as part of MKS also might not fit @RoverDude's design of MKS.

Plz correct me if I'm wrong.

regards

Edited by LatiMacciato