[1.3] RealEnginesPack v1.8 OMS and Apollo engine release. 22/07/2017

Alcentar

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Understandable. Do you know what kind of polycount the engines are?

You mean the number of polygons ??? I am not good in terms, but if I understand the question then RD 0120 has 12,806 polygons, and RD 170 is 43.708 polygons, and just want to ask you a question, it is normal for KSP ???

2 minutes ago, Alcentar said:

You mean the number of polygons ??? I am not good in terms, but if I understand the question then RD 0120 has 12,806 polygons, and RD 170 is 43.708 polygons, and just want to ask you a question, it is normal for KSP ???

Is that polygons or tris (triangles)? Tris are the actual number you want since the mesh will get converted to tris in Unity anyways. Those is fairly high - most KSP engines, being (on average) some of the most detailed parts, aim for somewhere between 3000 and 5000 tris. NOW, with that said, there is certainly nothing stopping you from having that many; it's definitely not wrong. Part of the reason for sticking to that range of polygons is (in my opinion) to keep the style relatively simple/cartoony, which isn't what you're going for - at least, not to the same extreme as the stock game. It's a bit late to be changing those things now, but if its something you want to worry about in the future, some things to watch out for would be stuff like how many sides are on your cylinders and pipes. The difference between a pipe with 6 or 8 sides, and one with 24 or 12, is barely noticeable - but the number of tris is exponentially less.

tl;dr: Yes, that's high, but if it's not something you're worried about (ie you want these to be high quality, detailed engines) then don't worry. :) Definitely something to keep in mind though.

@Alcentar quick follow up. I've noticed you've modeled in a lot of details that could be done way more efficiently with normal mapping. That's another thing to keep in mind. I know that they won't look QUITE as good, but the other thing to keep in mind is that most of the time the engine will be very small in the player's window, and the difference won't be visible. I've circled the details that could be replaced with normal mapping in red.

Also, how are you creating those pipes? (I've circled some in green) If they are being created using curves, playing with the values for the geometry can save some polygons. Play with it until you find the balance between quality and polycount, and then you can go in and hand merge some extra vertices in select spots.

MWZbmMU.png

Apologies if this is unhelpful/unwanted. :)

14 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Is that polygons or tris (triangles)? Tris are the actual number you want since the mesh will get converted to tris in Unity anyways. Those is fairly high - most KSP engines, being (on average) some of the most detailed parts, aim for somewhere between 3000 and 5000 tris. NOW, with that said, there is certainly nothing stopping you from having that many; it's definitely not wrong. Part of the reason for sticking to that range of polygons is (in my opinion) to keep the style relatively simple/cartoony, which isn't what you're going for - at least, not to the same extreme as the stock game. It's a bit late to be changing those things now, but if its something you want to worry about in the future, some things to watcharrow-10x10.png out for would be stuff like how many sides are on your cylinders and pipes. The difference between a pipe with 6 or 8 sides, and one with 24 or 12, is barely noticeable - but the number of tris is exponentially less.

tl;dr: Yes, that's high, but if it's not something you're worried about (ie you want these to be high quality, detailed engines) then don't worry. :) Definitely something to keep in mind though.

@Alcentar quick follow up. I've noticed you've modeled in a lot of details that could be done way more efficiently with normal mapping. That's another thing to keep in mind. I know that they won't look QUITE as good, but the other thing to keep in mind is that most of the time the engine will be very small in the player's window, and the difference won't be visible. I've circled the details that could be replaced with normal mapping in red.

Also, how are you creating those pipes? (I've circled some in green) If they are being created using curves, playing with the values for the geometry can save some polygons. Play with it until you find the balance between quality and polycount, and then you can go in and hand merge some extra vertices in select spots.

MWZbmMU.png

Apologies if this is unhelpful/unwanted. :)

Thank you for the comments that you made!!! it's a lot of useful information, and I'll take it for the record, I have recently started to model and do not have enough experience. 

I finished work on the second stage of the rocket Energia!
Now, super pretentious picture. :D

ENERGIA_7.png

All the same, I'll start with a real rocket and try to create it as realistically as possible in the hope of later transfer it under the RO / RSS, including installation on the launch pad and fueling, can too ambitious for a beginner but  I can understand many things, and hope, not without your help. :P

In my opinion I finished texture for the second stage although do not understand what color hat on Energia? I have read that it is gray but in the photo looks like a light blue,i color-blind? :D  Tried to match the color that used DECQ.

Energia_Second_Stage.gif

By the way, the version 6sl has an interesting pattern on the second stage which is barely noticeable, I will try to implement it. :) 

10 hours ago, Alcentar said:

In my opinion I finished texture for the second stage although do not understand what color hat on Energia? I have read that it is gray but in the photo looks like a light blue,i color-blind? :D  Tried to match the color that used DECQ.

Energia_Second_Stage.gif

By the way, the version 6sl has an interesting pattern on the second stage which is barely noticeable, I will try to implement it. :) 

Cool job, you really only learn in modding? I think you're hiding something. :)

And what about the top cap its light gray color, what kind of picture where you see the color blue?

10 hours ago, DECQ said:

Cool job, you really only learn in modding? I think you're hiding something. :)

And what about the top cap its light gray color, what kind of picture where you see the color blue?

Thank you, no, I do not hide the more look at my energia model without textures because it is quite poorly, I'm just a lot of time devoted to tutorials Blender3D and then began to try to modding, in the end I feel more confident in it every day.
I found a picture where Set of color rockets.

P.S.

I updated the main page. Now finished  models engines animated. :)

Edited by Alcentar

Created Nk-33 and Nk-43.

image.png

In general, I decided for the moment not to put the engines to the site and do another 3-4 engine that it was a full pack and you would be able to replace the work of the Bobcat, the way my pack with RD0120 "two versions", RD170, RD180, RD191, NK33 and NK43 have 19mb size, the same thing from the Bobcat takes about 85mb memory. :)

13 hours ago, liquidhype said:

Nice to see someone focusing exclusively on realistic looking engines instead of those cartoony tankbutt stockalike engines.

Thank you, stockalike bored and basically looks like a plastics toys... I am puzzled why so few add-ons based on real rocket vehicles and spacecrafts. :/

17 minutes ago, Cheesecake said:

Do you have plans for other Engine-Families? US-Engines? There are a lot in the SSTU-Pack but there are missing some Engines like LR-87.

Did you ask @JoseEduardo for MM-Configs for SSTU like the configs for Bobcats?

To begin, I want to deal with Russian engines, but I have plans for US engines, regardless of the other add-ons.

No, I did not ask anyone in PM.

2 hours ago, JoseEduardo said:

I saw this thread the other day, started following it and downloaded the engines, once he completes the others I'll add patches for them and possibly deprecate Bobcat's :)

or if @Alcentar wants to have the patches in his release instead of needing my pack that can also be worked :)

I recently to in KSP and do not know what you're doing, what you want to do with the engines? :D

JoseEduardo

Okay, I'm just glad your help. :)

Here is a rough version of the RD0124.

RD0124.png

Unfortunately I can not find a picture of a toparrow-10x10.png view of the engine, it would be very helpful.
By the way there is a question, RD0124 is the younger brother RD0110,  so then the steering engine can be made as separate parts? I can not find decent information about them. :/

Edited by Alcentar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.