[1.3] RealEnginesPack v1.8 OMS and Apollo engine release. 22/07/2017

Alcentar

This add-on adds a pack of engines that exist / existed in real life.
Note: The motors not 100% copy of their real counterparts.

Version 1.1:
1. Renamed folder basis from the "Engines" in "RealEngines"
2. Added engine RD-58
3. Added almost all engines line support "node_attach"

Version v1.2.
1. Some changes texture NK33/43/RD58/RD0146, as well as RD0146 engine received some changes in the model.
2. Added gimbal for NK-33/43 and RD-0146
3. Fixed a bug with the fairing in the selection window, now he does not close the engine.
4. Replaced thrustTransform on thrustTransform2, the steering engines
5. Added new engines RD120/RD275 and RD8.

6. Added mouth for RD120 Zenit style and NK33 Soyuz 2.1v style.

Version v1.2.2

1. Changed emissive animation system for 2/4 chamber engines, they are now using a one animation
2. Removed from the game RD0120red variant (in the previous version)
3. Added cfg for RD0120 CAP, the new version has the engine inclination so it will be easier to carry the load on the rocket back in style rocket Energia.
4. add more description in the cfg engines and changed the name RD0110 models, now it's just RD110

5. Reduced traction control motor

6. Added new engine S5.92 that use booster block Fregat

Version v1.3

1. Fixed a typo in the text for the engines and some other
2. Again renamed RD110 in RD0110
3. Create all engines own Emissive animation
4. Added two more versions of the engines S5.92
5. Added engines RD-0210 and RD-0212 the second and third stage of the Proton rocket

Version v1.8

1. Fixed a problem with RD-108.

2. Made a small restoration of textures and models for engines RD-107/108 and A7.

3. Added two new engines for US pack, OMS/Orion engine (AJ10-190) and Apollo engine (AJ10-137).

Engines that are included in the add-on at the moment:
NK33:

33_SEMI.gif

NK43:

43_SEMI.gif

RD0110: (orientation engines are separate)

0110_SEMI.gif

RD0124:

0124_SEMI.gif

RD0146:

146_SEMI.gif

RD170:

170_SEMI.gif

RD180:

180_SEMI.gif

RD191:

191_SEMI.gif

RD0120:

rd0120_semi.gif

RD58:

58_SEMI.gif

RD275:

275_SEMI.gif

RD120:

120_SEMI.gif

S5.92:

S5_SEMI.gif

RD 0210/ 0212

0210_SEMI.gif

RD 100

100_SEMI.gif

RD107/108

1078semm.gif

RD0124A

10582492.jpg

SUPER DRAGO:

screenshot130.png

AJ10-137 AND AJ10-190:

AJ11.png

I express my deep gratitude Snark,CobaltWolf and liquidhype for their advice, which helped me move forward significantly in a shortarrow-10x10.png time!

Special thanks Phineas Freak.

RO cfg:

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/tree/master/GameData/RealismOverhaul/RO_SuggestedMods/RealEngines

LINK:

https://spacedock.info/mod/1212/RealEngines

Edited by Alcentar

4 hours ago, SpaceBadger007 said:

Awesome start!

Thank you, in a blender 3d is not so difficult to model as it may seem, for the beginning it is best to see the tutorials, and then try to, although I still do not know how the engine works in the KSP but think it is not difficult.
This is a continuation, with the texture should be no problem because I have experience in Photoshop. :) 

RD6.png

14 hours ago, Alcentar said:

Thank you, in a blender 3d is not so difficult to model as it may seem, for the beginning it is best to see the tutorials, and then try to, although I still do not know how the engine works in the KSP but think it is not difficult.
This is a continuation, with the texture should be no problem because I have experience in Photoshop. :) 

RD6.png

Wow you are doing very well, im trash at blender:P

Nice-looking engine!  :)

37 minutes ago, Alcentar said:

Me wondering, how to make the effect of heating the engine, will need to look for information

Hopefully, someone who's better than me at modeling can explain the technical minutiae of modeling and KSP authoring.  But here are a few very high-level pointers that may help you get started in the right direction:

• After modeling the engine in Blender, you'll need to import it via Unity before you can get it into a form that KSP can use.
  • Part of that process will involve tinkering with various parameters in Unity (i.e. the part-authoring process happens partly in Blender, partly in Unity).
  • When you're setting up the shaders for your textures and materials on your part, make sure you're using a shader that has an "emissive" property.  The "emissive color" that you set will determine the color and brightness of the glow.
  • If all you do is set an emissive color, then the entire part will glow uniformly, which is likely not what you want.  You probably want some parts of the engine to glow brighter than others, right?  The way you'll do that is to have a texture with UV mapping (same technique as you use for the main color of the engine, in your texture) that uses black, white, and shades of gray to mask out which areas should emit and which shouldn't.  Then you'll add that texture to your engine as an emissive map.

Note that another step you'll need to take, if you haven't done it already, will be to provide Unity with a collider so that your part will work properly in-game.  This is done by providing the part with an extra mesh (or meshes) in Blender, giving the collider mesh(es) some distinctive recognizable name (usually folks just include "collider" in the name), then in Unity picking out the mesh(es) and setting the appropriate parameters to indicate "this is a collider for the part, it's not an actual displayable object."

I'm sorry for the lack of technical specifics in the above-- I've done very little modeling myself, and it's been quite a while since I've done it.  But hopefully the above may be enough to get you pointed in the right general direction, at least until someone more knowledgeable than me comes along to provide more useful specifics.

3 hours ago, Snark said:

Nice-looking engine!  :)

Hopefully, someone who's better than me at modeling can explain the technical minutiae of modeling and KSP authoring.  But here are a few very high-level pointers that may help you get started in the right direction:

• After modeling the engine in Blender, you'll need to importarrow-10x10.png it via Unity before you can get it into a form that KSP can use.
  • Part of that process will involve tinkering with various parameters in Unity (i.e. the part-authoring process happens partly in Blender, partly in Unity).
  • When you're setting up the shaders for your textures and materials on your part, make sure you're using a shader that has an "emissive" property.  The "emissive color" that you set will determine the color and brightness of the glow.
  • If all you do is set an emissive color, then the entire part will glow uniformly, which is likely not what you want.  You probably want some parts of the engine to glow brighter than others, right?  The way you'll do that is to have a texture with UV mapping (same technique as you use for the main color of the engine, in your texture) that uses black, white, and shades of gray to mask out which areas should emit and which shouldn't.  Then you'll add that texture to your engine as an emissive map.

Note that another step you'll need to take, if you haven't done it already, will be to provide Unity with a collider so that your part will work properly in-game.  This is done by providing the part with an extra mesh (or meshes) in Blender, giving the collider mesh(es) some distinctive recognizable name (usually folks just include "collider" in the name), then in Unity picking out the mesh(es) and setting the appropriate parameters to indicate "this is a collider for the part, it's not an actual displayable object."

I'm sorry for the lack of technical specifics in the above-- I've done very little modeling myself, and it's been quite a while since I've done it.  But hopefully the above may be enough to get you pointed in the right general direction, at least until someone more knowledgeable than me comes along to provide more useful specifics.

Thank you very much, your information should be enough !!!

Hi Alcentar! Your model is looking really good!

Just as a heads-up and by no means trying to discourage you, I believe a working RD-170 is present in the Soviet Engines mod, originally by BobCat - I know because it is my main engine of choice for my heavy lifters in my RSS/RO install :D

https://spacedock.info/mod/739/Soviet Engine Pack

Maybe it serves as an inspiration or point of reference :)

Good luck!

11 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

Hi Alcentar! Your model is looking really good!

Just as a heads-up and by no means trying to discourage you, I believe a working RD-170 is present in the Soviet Engines mod, originally by BobCat - I know because it is my main engine of choice for my heavy lifters in my RSS/RO install :D

https://spacedock.info/mod/739/Soviet Engine Pack

Maybe it serves as an inspiration or point of reference :)

Good luck!

Do you mean that my model is plagiarism? You are mistaken, I found this mod and took it as a basis for the central tube, "I do not know what to call it," but it's not a rip-off because I can not put mu format. in Blender 3d, just looked at her and did in the blender. The main mistake  that i making in RD170 what was looking more at RD 171, but they have differences.

This is the final stage in Blender3D, now the worst thing is to move it to the Unity and forced to work in KSP. :D

RD170.png

RD1701.png

RD1702.png

6 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

@Alcentar, your model is looking beautiful and I never meant to say you were copying/ripping anything off !!! :)

6 hours ago, hypervelocity said:

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood you.

5 hours ago, Kartoffelkuchen said:

That was quick :P Wish I had as much time as you for these things, but anyway, it looks great! 

Thank you, I thought it would take a lot of time but it turned out otherwise, in Blender is very easy modeling. :) 

1 hour ago, RaendyLeBeau said:

great work, it looks very scale !

Thank you. :D

23 minutes ago, DarthVader said:

Cut that in half, you have a RD-180. Cut the RD-180 in half and you have a RD-191. Suggestions for a future update.

Yes, you are right but first I have to learn how to model in more detail, found many errors in the model. :/

By the way, I uploaded model KSP !!!! It was awful but he appeared in the game, though there is one problem ... It does not work.
Engine eats fuel but does not work, I was doing all the instructions but probably something wrong with the cfg file.

screenshot8.png

Another question is how to make that engine had a gimbal effect, I did not understand.

In terms of setting up the gimbal (and the engine in general), you could not have chosen a more complex engine to be your first engine for KSP. At least if you are aiming for a realistic looking gimbal. Each combustion chamber and nozzle needs to have a 45 degree freedom of rotaton offset from each other. You do this by making each nozzle/combustion chamber the child of a Gimbal Transform in Unity. Then you need to rig the gimbal units and gimbal acutators by using aimConstraints in order for them to function properly. Lastly you need use a skinned mesh renderer on each individual hot gas duct (the lines coming out of the turbine above the LOX and fuel pumps). If you don't use a skinned mesh renderer, the engine will look weird as the top of the combustion chambers will dislocate from the hot gas ducts.

You'll need to give each nozzle a thrustTransform in order for the nozzles to have flames and smoke coming out of them when the engine is running. The hierachy for an RD-170 engine in Unity should look something like this:

GameObject

• Thrust Structure/Engine
  • Gimbal1
    • Nozzle1
      • thrustTransform
  • Gimbal2
    • Nozzle2
      • thrustTransform
  • Gimbal3
    • Nozzle3
      • thrustTransform
  • Gimbal4
    • Nozzle4
      • thrusTransform

This hierarchy is just the engine without the acutator setup and skinned mesh renderer. If you want functioning gimbal units and acutators, you'll need to make all 4 gimbal units the children of the Thrust Structure/Engine and each set of 2 acutators the children of each nozzle. Then you need to use aimConstraints to have the acutators lookAt their respective gimbal units and vice versa.

Or if you are lazy and don't care if it doesn't look realistic, you can just have the nozzles NOT gimbal and instead use the thrustTransforms to gimbal and have the nozzles be static. This doesn't nearly look as cool, but it works. As I said, you chose a rather complex engine to be your first :)

On 10.01.2017 at 10:33 AM, liquidhype said:

In terms of setting up the gimbal (and the engine in general), you could not have chosen a more complex engine to be your first engine for KSP. At least if you are aiming for a realistic looking gimbal. Each combustion chamber and nozzle needs to have a 45 degree freedom of rotaton offset from each other. You do this by making each nozzle/combustion chamber the child of a Gimbal Transform in Unity. Then you need to rig the gimbal units and gimbal acutators by using aimConstraints in order for them to function properly. Lastly you need use a skinned mesh renderer on each individual hot gas duct (the lines coming out of the turbine above the LOX and fuel pumps). If you don't use a skinned mesh renderer, the engine will look weird as the top of the combustion chambers will dislocate from the hot gas ducts.

You'll need to give each nozzle a thrustTransform in order for the nozzles to have flames and smoke coming out of them when the engine is running. The hierachy for an RD-170 engine in Unity should look something like this:

GameObject

• Thrust Structure/Engine
  • Gimbal1
    • Nozzle1
      • thrustTransform
  • Gimbal2
    • Nozzle2
      • thrustTransform
  • Gimbal3
    • Nozzle3
      • thrustTransform
  • Gimbal4
    • Nozzle4
      • thrusTransform

This hierarchy is just the engine without the acutator setup and skinned mesh renderer. If you want functioning gimbal units and acutators, you'll need to make all 4 gimbal units the children of the Thrust Structure/Engine and each set of 2 acutators the children of each nozzle. Then you need to use aimConstraints to have the acutators lookAt their respective gimbal units and vice versa.

Or if you are lazy and don't care if it doesn't look realistic, you can just have the nozzles NOT gimbal and instead use the thrustTransforms to gimbal and have the nozzles be static. This doesn't nearly look as cool, but it works. As I said, you chose a rather complex engine to be your first :)

Thank you, your scheme to work, it is more than easy though.
What you wrote about the combustion chamber still very heavy for me, too little experience. :D

1 hour ago, elias.quintana said:

It works!

I hope you don't mind I patched the config a bit to make it more like an RD-170 and to use RealFuels and RealPlume.

NcQx4Ne.jpg

Wow, I can not be against this, you send it to the RO mod ???

By the way, I made a basis for future rocket, it will be the size stock style, I know that there is a AB but it does not suit me, I plan to make the alternative, whether to engage in this project ???

ENERGIA.png

ENERGIA_2_V.png

Just have a real version, and stock version , and whether another add-on for this, or a waste of time?

Edited by Alcentar

No, I haven't submitted it anywhere as my patches are not very elegant.

I will include the code here and you can fix it or do whatever you want with it:

Spoiler

//Start patching configuration for the Alcentar's RD-170 Engine
@PART[rd170]:FOR[RealFuels&RealPlume] //Patch for both RealFuels and RealPlume
{

// ---RealPlume definition ---
PLUME
    {
        name = Kerolox-Lower
        transformName = thrust
        localRotation = 0,0,0
        plumePosition = 0,0,1.7
        flarePosition = 0,0,1
        fixedScale = 1
        flareScale = 1
        energy = 0.4
        speed = 1.5
    }

// ---Engine information that shows up on VAB ---

@title = RD-170 Liquid Fuel Engine
  @manufacturer = NPO Energomash (OKB-456) 
  @description = The RD-170 is the world's most powerful liquid-fuel rocket engine, designed and produced in the Soviet Union by NPO Energomash for use with the Energia launch vehicle.

@mass = 9.750 //Real RD-170 dry mass

// ---Configuration for RealFuels

@MODULE[ModuleEngine*]
  {
 	@name = ModuleEnginesRF
	@minThrust = 4228
	@maxThrust = 7550
	@heatProduction = 1800
	powerEffectName = Kerolox-Lower //effect RealPlume shows
	@fxOffset = 0, 0, 1.9
	!PROPELLANT[LiquidFuel] {} //kill default fuel
	!PROPELLANT[Oxidizer] {}  //kill default oxidizer
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = Kerosene
        	ratio = 824.8    //RP-1 flow in liters per second calculated from real engine stats and fuel density
		DrawGauge = True
	}
	PROPELLANT
	{
		name = LqdOxygen
		ratio = 1517.2    //Liquid Oxygen flow in liters per second calculated from real engine stats and oxy density
	}
	atmosphereCurve
 	{
   	 key = 0 337
  	 key = 1 309
 	}
	ignitions = 1
    	IGNITOR_RESOURCE
        {
          name = ElectricCharge
          amount = 0.10
        }
    	ullage = true
    	pressureFed = false	
}
}

As to projects... whatever makes you happy man!

I wish I had modelling skills. There's stuff I'd like to see made.

On 14.01.2017 at 6:03 PM, elias.quintana said:

I have a patch for that one too!

I wrote it for making the one in Bobcat's Soviet Engines more in line with real stats...

Wow, I'm really looking forward to fix RO and FAR to work in 1.2.2.
Here is a complete model, although this is clearly not the best texture and the need to tinker with them. :)

RD0120.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.