[1.8] Station Science continued (v2.6.0)

tomf

As Ethernet hasn't had time to update it in a while I am going to pick up the torch and maintain his excellent Station science mod.

Latest Release -  available from github at https://github.com/tomforwood/StationScience/releases/latest

If you have the original station science installed make sure you delete that first - especially if using ckan

Adjusts the efficiencies of all labs  - Cyclotrons are now slightly less effective with no engineer on board, and a little bit above 100% when a 5 star engineer can tune it.

The other labs will also be more effective with more experienced scientists.

TN4o6Mh.pnglP5JjI3.png

This mod adds several large parts designed to be integrated into a permanent space station: the Science Lab, the Zoology Bay, the Cyclotron, and the Spectrometron. These heavy parts provide facilities for performing experiments. Experiments are held in small, light pods that you can dock with your space station, execute, and bring back to the surface for Science points. The Spectrometron uses the Cyclotron to analyze results from other experiments, and allows you to transmit the data home for much higher value. In addition, there are tanks for storing Kibbal for the Zoology Bay.

Running Experiments

Each experiment requires Eurekas generated by the Science Lab. More advanced experiments also require Bioproducts generated by the Zoology Bay (costing Kibbal), and/or Kuarqs generated by the Cyclotron (costing large amounts of Electric Charge). Once an experiment has accumulated sufficient Eurekas (and Bioproducts/Kuarqs), use the Finalize Results action to finish the experiment, and generate Science value in the same manner as the stock science parts. Make sure your station stays in the same location for the duration of the experiment. If in orbit, this means entirely above or below the low/high orbit altitude threshold, which is 250km around Kerbin. If the experiment moves to a new location prior to finalization, it will be aborted and you'll have to start it over.

Eurekas and Bioproducts generate while you're focused elsewhere, so you can leave those mult-hour experiments running while you control other ships, or just go to the launchpad to timewarp through it all. Kuarqs do not generate while unfocused, due to their electric charge requirement, but they only takes minutes of in-game time to reach quota if you have sufficient charge flowing in.

Experiments don't work on Kerbin's surface. Your researchers get too caught up daydreaming about going to space.

To use the Spectrometron, dock the vessel carrying the science result, or transfer it to a command pod via EVA. The results will appear automatically in the Spectrometron's context menu. Select the one you want to analyze, and wait for requisite number of kuarqs to be generated. Then, you'll be able to review the result now stored in the Spectrometron using its context menu, and transmit it at 90% via your transmitter.

Experiments

Plant Growth: see how a variety of plants grow in space. All you need is a crewed Science Lab.

Creature Comforts: see how the animals in the Zoology Bay are enjoying space. You'll need a Science Lab, a Zoology Bay, and a sufficient supply of Kibbal.

Prograde Kuarqs: use a Cyclotron to manufacture the stable Prograde variety of Kuarqs. You'll also need a Science Lab, and at least some source of power.

Retrograde Kuarqs: use a Cyclotron with enough power flow to keep it running near capacity (about six Gigantor solar panels) to manufacture the unstable Retrograde variety of Kuarqs. You'll need that power to keep ahead of the decay of the Kuarqs. You should also only run one experiment at a time to avoid splitting the output of your Cyclotron. Once you reach your quota, the decay will cease. You'll also need a Science Lab.

Eccentric Kuarqs: use two Cyclotrons, with enough power flow to keep both running near capacity, to manufacture the even more unstable Eccentric variety of Kuarqs. You'll need both Cyclotrons and that power to keep ahead of the decay of the Kuarqs. You should also only run one experiment at a time to avoid splitting the output of your Cyclotrons. Once you reach your quota, the decay will cease. You'll also need a Science Lab.

Kuarq Bio-activity: see how the animals in the Zoology Bay react to Kuarqs. You'll need a Science Lab, a Zoology Bay, a Cyclotron running near capacity, and a sufficient supply of Kibbal.

Contracts

Contracts to perform station science experiments in orbit around a body will appear in career mode when you have been to that body and you have unlocked (and purchased the prototype) of the experiment and labs required. To complete the missions you need to recover the capsule back on Kerbin.

License:

All source code and software (.cs and .dll files) is licensed under GPL v3

Everything else is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike License

Version History

The new git repository is https://github.com/tomforwood/StationScience

the original discussion thread was here

Edited by tomf
Upgrade to 2.6.0 for ksp 1.8

7 minutes ago, tomf said:

Can you give me links, and I will take a look

fuel sceince

and

Station Science Expanded(cant find thread but this one is just cfg)

the station sceince i cant find its thread but since i have it i could packagae it and send u link its possible that its thread gone as last update of a file for it was october 2015.

you may want to fix the title, continued is spelled "Continued", not contunued 

anyway, Greatjob, looking forward to the next release.  CKAN is submitted

Here is a link to the New_Stuff_For_Station_Science by DirtyFace:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ae00lapu184t1yi/AABfmeJBYqlXHZ5xkjcjhFkNa?dl=0

and here is a link to the old thread:  

Glad to finally see this back up. Just a quick question, the parts that I have do not look like the one's in the main post's picture. The picture looks to have Ven Stock Revamp installed (docking ports). Is there an additional texture pack or something to make the parts look like the ones in the picture? Am I missing something else? I do have VSR installed. The parts that I have look a bit dated..

Cheers,

Edit: I noticed in the original post that the models were updated for v1.7 by Nertea and SpeedyB. I apparently do not have the updated models. Is this a separate download or something?

Edited by Stratickus

15 hours ago, Stratickus said:

Does anyone know how to the get the updated models? 

Cheers,

The download from github or CKAN has the latest models in. You should be sure to delete any existing files you have from previous installs of Station Science

10 hours ago, tomf said:

The download from github or CKAN has the latest models in. You should be sure to delete any existing files you have from previous installs of Station Science

Interesting. I had originally picked up the mod via CKAN. Are the updated models different from the models in the first post's picture? 

In either case, I have deleted, reinstalled both via CKAN and manually using the github link, as well as doing it on a clean install. In all cases, this is what the parts look like for me.

qIRX7p4.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Stratickus

1 hour ago, Stratickus said:

Interesting. I had originally picked up the mod via CKAN. Are the updated models different from the models in the first post's picture? 

In either case, I have deleted, reinstalled both via CKAN and manually using the github link, as well as doing it on a clean install. In all cases, this is what the parts look like for me

Ahh, that is probably because ckan thinks mine is a different mod - Station Science Continued. I'll edit the first post to clarify

3 hours ago, tomf said:

Ahh, that is probably because ckan thinks mine is a different mod - Station Science Continued. I'll edit the first post to clarify

The part folder in the GitHub versions, yours and the original source, is actually different to the one in the Curse 2.0 download from the original thread for some reason. The latter seems to have the updated models, at least based on the texture names.

21 hours ago, tomf said:

This checks with me as well. The Curse download did have the updated models for me, while CKAN and Github did not.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Sarxis said:

Does having more scientists in the THNKR or Zoology bay produce more Eurekas and Bioproducts?

Yes, and better (more stars) scientists are more productive too.

4 minutes ago, Cruzo said:

So is there a way to get the newer part models shown in the OP?  The release still has the old models.

The latest release does contain the newer models. Can you tell me how you installed it?

On 1/7/2017 at 6:45 AM, tomf said:

As Ethernet hasn't had time to update it in a while I am going to pick up the torch and maintain his excellent Station science mod.

Latest Release -  available from github at https://github.com/tomforwood/StationScience/releases/latest

If you have the original station science installed make sure you delete that first - especially if using ckan

Adjusts the efficiencies of all labs  - Cyclotrons are now slightly less effective with no engineer on board, and a little bit above 100% when a 5 star engineer can tune it.

The other labs will also be more effective with more experienced scientists.

TN4o6Mh.pnglP5JjI3.png

The link at the beginning of this post has the old models.

On 1/9/2017 at 8:59 PM, BureauJaeger said:

The part folder in the GitHub versions, yours and the original source, is actually different to the one in the Curse 2.0 download from the original thread for some reason. The latter seems to have the updated models, at least based on the texture names.

The link in this post has the newer models which are shown in the first post.

Edited by Sarxis

5 minutes ago, Sarxis said:

The link at the beginning of this post has the old models.

The link in this post has the newer models which are shown in the first post.

The version in the curse link is the old version for KSP 1.1.2 though, right?

40 minutes ago, Cruzo said:

The version in the curse link is the old version for KSP 1.1.2 though, right?

Yeah see that's the thing:  the link in the first post has older models (I think they are the older ones?  They are the ones NOT pictured in the OP post) but the version is for KSP 1.2.2.

The latter post link has what look like the models in tomf's original post but has a .dll file dated 5/17/2016.

So which are the new models?  This:

lP5JjI3.png

Or this:

qIRX7p4.jpg

Edited by Sarxis

option 1 is the new model
i think tomf likes the old models better

i just do lots of work to rewrite all the cfg`s to use the new models

its lots of work since the structure of the directory was changed as well wen the new model wer added

@tomf are you willing to rewrite and repackage(the old models) so this can be easily moved from old models to new models?

Edited by danielboro

2 minutes ago, danielboro said:

its lots of work since the structure of the directory was changed as well wen the new model wer added

Yeah I noticed that the parts folder structure is different. 

26 minutes ago, danielboro said:

@tomf are you willing to rewrite and repackage(the old models) so this can be easily moved from old models to new models?

Ahh, it isn't that I like the old models better, I was just confused about which was which. Ok, I'l pick up the new models and do another release.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.