Mirage IV replica

Hello ! :D

So, a few days ago, I was in a French Air Force base for some reason, and near the entrance they had a few old birds, including a Mirage IV. And I thought "Hey, I like it ! I should make it in KSP" and after a bit of research I liked it even more, so I had to make a good replica of it.

The Mirage IV (read 'four' of course, not 'I Vee') was a French nuclear bomber that entered in service in 1964. It was able to reach Mach 2.2, and was the first military aircraft to include partial fly-by-wire controls.
It was, until 1988, the only aircraft in the French Air Force capable of delivering the nuke.  Then in 1988 it was slowly replaced by the new and modern Mirage 2000-N, and they were completely retired of nuclear service in 1996.
Starting in 1974, they started using it as a recon aircraft too (kinda like a smaller, frenchier, slower and not stealth Blackbird. Actually it's not that close to a Blackbird), replacing the nuclear ordinance with a recon pod. These 'Recon' Mirage IV's  were used until 2005, when they were finally retired from service.

Spoiler

MirageIV-CI-1.jpg

For economic (and international peace) reasons, I could not equip it with weapons systems and a big ol' nuke. If you want that, get BDArmory.
You will only need TweakScale to use this craft.
Now that this is said, specs !

Spoiler

UyZnLEB.jpg

dXQzOEc.jpg

Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/nVvV6

My Mirage IV can reach speeds of up to 840m/s (Mach 2.5) at high altitudes, even with external tanks.
It is rather easy to fly, but tends to pitch down without SAS. I recommend Atmosphere Autopilot for excellent flight stability, fly-by-wire and a lot of cool stuff (trust me, once you use it, you can't fly without it).
You can toggle afterburners with action group 1.
For takeoff, afterburners, full throttle, and start pulling up at ~100m/s. Congratulations ! You are now flying.

If you really want to give it a try, you can download it on KerbalX.

Don't forget TweakScale if you don't already have it !

Hope you enjoy it ! Feedback would be appreciated ^^

Edited by ValCab33

Splendid replica of the old Lady, without her payload and just with the bombing radar she looks like the superb and later IVP recon variant.

There is a comic story about her original strategic mission (then later "pre-global strike" mission with the ASMP cruise missile) : as she was the first French aircraft able to stay 17-18 hours in the sky with multiple air-refueling, how to ensure about a whole day in the air for the crew but without any restrooms?

They though about a vertical pipe but the reject will touch the sensitive bombing radar antenna, another afterward... but it will end on the altimetric radar... or still behind the bomb bay, where the liquid would have already frozen. They finally find the solution with a pressurized bottle and some time after only.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.