Issues with BDarmory damage

mento

I've updated to 1.2 and for some reason the physics behind bdarmory have changed, back in 1.1 they seemed to work fine. I'm having issues with KSP/squad parts not absorbing damage properly. I built a tank out of structural panels and changed the file on the structural panels to have a higher damage protection rating. The problem is, bd armory is shooting (even with very weak guns) straight through the structural panels and completely killing the inside of the tank with 1 shot while leaving the outside in slightly damaged condition. This was never an issue in previous versions, the other versions seemed much more realistic.

Edited by mento

4 hours ago, mento said:

I've updated to 1.2 and for some reason the physics behind bdarmory have changed, back in 1.1 they seemed to work fine. I'm having issues with KSP/squad parts not absorbing damage properly. I built a tank out of structural panels and changed the file on the structural panels to have a higher damage protection rating. The problem is, bd armory is shooting (even with very weak guns) straight through the structural panels and completely killing the inside of the tank with 1 shot while leaving the outside in slightly damaged condition. This was never an issue in previous versions, the other versions seemed much more realistic.

HI BDAc is going through some major changes , one of those changes has been the addition of  bullet penetration and armor values, this is a great improvement over the old purely heat based system. What is happening in your case is that the structural panels you are using have no armor value and BDA applies a default value , this results in your shells penetrating the armor and destroying what is inside,.

Due to the current lack of balance and  defined values for shells and explosive properties that is prevelant throughout  all weapon mods in many cases the shell will be overpowered and because of this over penetrate

There is a lot of work going on regarding armor, values and balance behind the scenes, it's not discussed because it is mind numbingly boring . BDA could be said too be in a transitional period between old and new code and there are still large steps to be taken for everything to be fully balanced,  operational and available to mod users and makers at large

51 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

HI BDAc is going through some major changes , one of those changes has been the addition of  bullet penetration and armor values, this is a great improvement over the old purely heat based system. What is happening in your case is that the structural panels you are using have no armor value and BDA applies a default value , this results in your shells penetrating the armor and destroying what is inside,.

Due to the current lack of balance and  defined values for shells and explosive properties that is prevelant throughout  all weapon mods in many cases the shell will be overpowered and because of this over penetrate

There is a lot of work going on regarding armor, values and balance behind the scenes, it's not discussed because it is mind numbingly boring . BDA could be said too be in a transitional period between old and new code and there are still large steps to be taken for everything to be fully balanced,  operational and available to mod users and makers at large

Thanks for the comment! Well if it's something that will be fixed in the future that's great, I just wasn't sure if it was the final release. As a semi permanent fix I wonder how hard it would be to find those default values. The bullets file is definitely new but I messed around with it and couldn't come up with anything

6 minutes ago, mento said:

The bullets file is definitely new but I messed around with it and couldn't come up with anything

The bullets file controls penetration for it to be effective the cfg needs to have the bulletType = Xmm Bullet  added if it''s not present the values in there are;  first number is range second number is penetration, under no circumstances should you change the default first bullet cfg values but the others can be changed.  Those values were applied as a default to get everything working      

I've just started working values for other shell types not included in the bullets cfg including artillery shells and will work my way through CAL adding and testing new defs until  my brain melts

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually playing around with the code myself locally. The current version has a few issues with hit normals and penetration, I look forward to seeing what you've chanaged. For now I've commented out everything regarding "fulllyPenetrated" (sic) in the code

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.