1.3 ProjectJool - Revamped Joolian System(More Moons) [WIP]

PROJECTJOOL

Complete Revamp of the Joolian System.

[WIP]

Estimated Percentage Done: 8%

Estimated Time of Release: TBD(Possibly In 3 months Time, Maybe More)

Sorry for the Lack of Updates, Schooling and other issues with PQS have gotten in the way, but now that that's over I will be continuing working on the Project!

Currently Working On:

Problems with PQS and correcting problems with Hoffnu. Possibility of Scratching Hoffnu as it was intended as a 

Textures for Kaya and Perle.

What Does This Mod Do Exactly?

ProjectJool completely reorganizes and revamps the Joolian System which will Reposition the two moons of Pol and Bop to account for a realistic Joolian System, and is set to have atleast 20+ moons of Jool. It will also add N-Body Physics, which will stabilize the Joolian System. This feature will be added later on.

(Of course, there may be more as time continues, after the final release.)

Can I contribute?

Of Course, I would always like help with Moon names and Variants! If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment below and I will give you credit if it is accepted.

Current Moons/Ideas:

Hoffnu(Textures and BiomeMap Done, Only need to fix a few bugs, calling vote to remove Hoffnu)

Hoffnu was one of the first moons to be discovered due to its contrasting color to Jool. Being a Desert moon, it seems there was once a decently sized Atmosphere. Some say there might still be remnants of it, however very small.

Kaya(In Selection Process)

Kaya is an interesting Moon, mainly due to the small ring system that resides around it. Interestingly, there seems to be only one crater on the Moon, and it is of great size.

Perle(InDev)

Perle is covered with blue sand, which is peculiar. It is believed to have formed from Lazurite, and has eroded away by a once great atmosphere.

Photos:

Spoiler

1rTIj5G.jpg

Hoffnu, First Moon to be discovered.

Special thanks to:

@The White Guardian, for his amazing PQS and Kopernicus Tutorials, and inspired me to become apart of the modding community.

Scott Manley, to introducing me to KSP and giving me hours of entertainment.(And More)

And To the great community here at the KSP forums with helping me with other issues.

Edited by InterstellarOrbit
Hoffnu Votes

Hoffnu has been scratched due to technical issues with its coding. (Don't worry, it was my first ever thing I have coded, so the project isn't canceled!) (Still a Possibility) 

EDIT: After atleast a night's work, I managed to fix Hoffnu's issues to only a minor lighting fix.

24 minutes ago, Errol said:

Thank you for your feedback! Maybe I could reposition each moon to make the Joolian System stable in N-body simulations(As a personal project). I will do some research into it.

Look up a mod called Principia. It is no small task to add n-body physics to KSP, but someone has already done it (I don't think it is updated for 1.2.2 yet though). It also affects vessels and bodies, and there fore comes at a significant performance cost. Still, might be a good place to start if you want to mimic or abstract the behavior of moons being ejected. 

22 hours ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

Will jool be changed at all? or will it stay the same?

Jool will stay the same. However, I might adjust the mass to compensate with realistic physics.

16 hours ago, Errol said:

Look up a mod called Principia. It is no small task to add n-body physics to KSP, but someone has already done it (I don't think it is updated for 1.2.2 yet though). It also affects vessels and bodies, and there fore comes at a significant performance cost. Still, might be a good place to start if you want to mimic or abstract the behavior of moons being ejected. 

Alright. I will take a look into that. I'll probably add N-Body Physics later on, as right now I am concentrating on the creation of the moons. At this moment, though, I will add N-Body Physics.

@InterstellarOrbit

I don't know your skill level, and mean no offence, and am personally not knowledgeable about programming. I do know that this is no small task, and should not be under-estimated. I would rather see you set lower goals and succeed then to bite off more then you can chew and let it devour you, as has happened to many a modder here. 

Seriously, give the OP here a perusal:

Edited by Errol

13 minutes ago, Errol said:

@InterstellarOrbit

I don't know your skill level, and mean no offence, and am personally not knowledgeable about programming. I do know that this is no small task, and should not be under-estimated. I would rather see you set lower goals and succeed then to bite off more then you can chew and let it devour you, as has happened to many a modder here. 

Seriously, give the OP here a perusal:

It does seem too of a big task for me right now, as I do not have the knowledge to do something similar of doing this. However, I could possibly stabilize the system by repositioning the moons, and/or increase Jools mass to at least simulate N-Body Simulations.

I'm all for abstraction in the name of computer performance, after all, this is a game, not a piece of serious simulation software for analytics. That's why I suggest just ejecting the moons after a delay. If you could find a way to hide bodies and make bodies appear during the game (Research Bodies might be a good place to start for that), you could have two hidden bodies around Kerbol that are copies of val and bop which could be made to appear when the ones around jool disappear. 

One problem with this method is that anything you have landed on either moon will not magically go to the new body, unless there were a way to automate that with hyper edit or something. I doubt that would be an easy task though.

Anyway, food for though. 

You should aslo check out this mod which adds biomes and a great green spot to jool:

Edited by Errol

11 hours ago, Errol said:

you could have two hidden bodies around Kerbol that are copies of val and bop which could be made to appear when the ones around jool disappear. 

After thinking upon this, I'm going to implement this. I think it will be fun to have custom Sciencedefs referring to Jool. Such as a EVA:

"As you exit your Spacecraft, you think that you have done this before...But Jool was nearby last time..."

(This was funnier in my head )

It would be really neat if there could be a way to preserve an crafts that have already been landed on the surface of either body. And they shouldn't be ejected at the same time either, they should go according to that simulation I posted, unless you decided to change their starting orbital parameters. Anyway, upon thinking about it further myself I would if maybe it might be easier to actually move the whole body itself instead of hiding one and revealing another. It wouldn't have to be a gradual change or anything, just when the moon is ejected, but I wonder if this could be done with kopernicus. I know it can easily move bodies around, and it causes no problems to a save game to have bodies load with different orbital parameters every session (I'm running my own custom .cfg so I've done lots of adjusting and reloading). What I wouldn't know how to do would be the triggering it to happen at a certain time in MET. 

2 hours ago, Errol said:

It would be really neat if there could be a way to preserve an crafts that have already been landed on the surface of either body. And they shouldn't be ejected at the same time either, they should go according to that simulation I posted, unless you decided to change their starting orbital parameters. Anyway, upon thinking about it further myself I would if maybe it might be easier to actually move the whole body itself instead of hiding one and revealing another. It wouldn't have to be a gradual change or anything, just when the moon is ejected, but I wonder if this could be done with kopernicus. I know it can easily move bodies around, and it causes no problems to a save game to have bodies load with different orbital parameters every session (I'm running my own custom .cfg so I've done lots of adjusting and reloading). What I wouldn't know how to do would be the triggering it to happen at a certain time in MET. 

For now, i'm just going to move the bodies into a realistic ejection orbit. Later on, I could probably extend my knowledge into more advanced stuff to actually have bodies change their orbital positions over time. 

On 14 January 2017 at 6:08 PM, Errol said:

*gets knife out and holds it at your neck*

take the home of the kraken, and I take your life...

Also, here are a few things:

- Making bodies change orbits over time is impossible because of the source code of KSP.

- 20 moons is feasible enough, the game can run that many bodies at one time and more.

Edited by Planetace

56 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

- 20 moons is feasible enough, the game can run that many bodies at one time and more.

Well, the 20 Moon part is only the core part of the mod. It will get more exciting later on when it's actually released. 

56 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

- Making bodies change orbits over time is impossible because of the source code of KSP.

Also, for now, I am simulating the fact that since the Joolian system doesn't work very well in n-body physics, I am repositioning Bop and Pol in a highly inclined orbit to simulate where they would be realistically. 

57 minutes ago, Galacticvoyager said:

*gets knife out and holds it at your neck*

take the home of the kraken, and I take your life...

And Don't worry, the Kraken will forever be safe.:D

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.