The XYZ Series- Heavy, Nuclear, Interstellar SSTOs

529A8759502BAF5853FEC55BB989B47D232F3F92

The X, Y, and Z series are Xperimental SSTOs. They are heavy, sometimes a little unstable with the older crafts, but they have a much more massive range and capacity than any other SSTO

THIS REQUIRES THE EXCELLENT  KSPI- Extended mod by Freethinker (and its requirement, Tweakscale)

And: Near Future spacecraft, Solar, and Construction. USI-LS and Konstruction also present (I'll try to edit it out later ;_;)

Guide to the class:

X: Fission powered. Early craft, requires maximum tech in fission reactors, heavy. Usually LKO transporters.

Y: Fusion powered. Requires maximum tech in fusion reactors. Usually heavy LKO cargo SSTOs

Z: Antimatter powered. Expensive, godly SSTOs. Grand tours, huge delta-v, massive payloads to orbit.

Now, let's begin.

X Series

X-5

AD4C115CC919C03D589819EA81908DBE91124435

Desc:

The first succesful heavy SSTO, but certaintly not the first entry in the X series. With impressive TWR and delta-v to spare, it can take just about anything that fits in its cargo bay to LKO.

1: Toggle engine
3: Switch propellant

Download

X-6

07FA34B4551344570D09D6845C51D077AD700E32

The Succesor to the X-5, the X-6 features an extended range and cargo bay, making it ideal for carrying moderate payloads to orbit. It is still used today by some agencies as a passenger aircraft, provided the cargo bay is refitted.

Download

X-7

9C606A9CA421D2EC16C8CB75779D224C07BAC09D

The X-7 is a hastily put together interplanetary craft, primarily designed for minums. It tanks that are jettisonable, which means it's not entirely a SSTO anymore. Its down-facing cargo bay makes it ideal for deploying rovers.

Download

5F6814F10A344247C0090D28B95704510DDAFDB3

The X-8 was the last of the X program, designed to be interplanetary, even to Duna. With a large cargo bay, and closed cycle gas core engines, it was also designed to refuel itself, if you equip drills. Otherwise, it makes a good long range cargo carrier. It also features a thermal electric generator, allowing the ship to run for a long time.

1: Toggle Ramjet
2: Toggle Gas core engines

Download

Y Series

Y-4

F8CFF609076136EC3B6109ED15820DCFBD2DACAB

The Y-4 was the first succesful fusion SSTO. Capable of carrying 100 tons to LKO, half its weight, it then detaches its wings to safely fly back to the KSC and be mostly re-used. 

The Y Program is still greatly under development, with more focus on the Z series

Download

Z-Series

Z-2

CD8D157461184F07E3B71EDF43571DF26B19C012

The Z-2 was the first antimatter spaceplane, with fantastic results. Despite its small size, it packs a massive 10 km/s of delta-v, meaning it's possible to do a return trip to laythe, if your kerbal is willing to sit in the cockpit that long.

Download

Z-3

7E70600CA6C4BC3AA16744ED49B0C41A5744B5DD

The Z-3 was the first warp-capable spacecraft, and with a magnetic nozzle, a long range. However, due to the sheer antimatter usage of the plasma core, collecting antimatter from Jool will be a top priority.

1: Toggle turbojet
2: Toggle magnetic nozzle

Download

Z-4

CE3850E2BBF5B28C151DB262F60DF4EC65C88F83

The Z-4 Utilized an antimatter initiated fusion reactor, giving the antimatter a much longer lifespan, allowing for long term missions. With a D-T drive and plenty of cargo space for habitation and drills, this ship is technically capable of a grand tour. However, difficulty on landing on Duna and difficulty taking off from planets meant the Z-4 never did.

1: Toggle ramjets
2: Toggle D-T Vista

Download

Z-5 Still WIP.

Z-6

CEE48DA484BBF95D78D19068596BC0A7D2637413

The Z-6 is the pinnacle of engineering. With communication, refuelling capability, long term fuel storage, cargo space and most importantly, a VTOL system, the Z-6 is capable of a grand tour of the solar system, and any others. Note that the VTOL system is configured for Kerbin takeoff, and thrust will need to be limited during the voyage.
1: Toggle ramjets
2: Toggle D-T Vista
4: Toggle Plasma wakefields
5: Toggle VTOL

Download

Z-7

21D656B97C3D99844AD36FF28ABBF390463B242F

The Z-7 is very similar to the Y-4, except antimatter powered. Using 1 gram of antimatter, it's expensive to run (100,000 funds) but it can easily take up to 500 tons to LKO.

Download

It's been a long time since I've shared a craft on these forums (I think it was 0.15, a B747), so report any problems or feedback here.

Cheers!

:cool:

@zanie420 Ahhh darn, I keep forgetting how many mods I use, I don't design these for resharing! 

Anyway, It's SSTU for an adapter, Konstruction for the long ladder, and USI-LS for the life support tank (apparently I didn't empty the craft as much as I thought). I can try and reupload without those, but It'll take time

4 minutes ago, The Destroyer said:

@zanie420 Ahhh darn, I keep forgetting how many mods I use, I don't design these for resharing! 

Anyway, It's SSTU for an adapter, Konstruction for the long ladder, and USI-LS for the life support tank (apparently I didn't empty the craft as much as I thought). I can try and reupload without those, but It'll take time

I got this! Thanks for the time already spent. I can install the mods, edit the ships, and uninstall the mods if need be. As long as the game allows me to load the craft files. Or I can try to edit the craft files themselves.... although I am not adept at it.

The Z-2 was a blast to fly by the way. I am STILL attempting to understand how reactor/generator/nozzle all work together. In this case, what is the purpose of the charged particle generator?

@zanie420 Antimatter core produces heat and charged particles. The heat goes to the ramjet for power, and a small amount of charged particles is used for electric charge- megajoules can refill electric charge, to power life support and reaction wheels. Don't attempt editing the craft file, as it's connected to other parts :P

On 1/11/2017 at 9:33 AM, The Destroyer said:

Ok, so you also have to install Near Future Construction, Near Future Spacecraft, and Near Future Solar. You should edit the beginning of the post to warn anyone else wanting to use these awesome crafts!

6 minutes ago, The Destroyer said:

@zanie420 Huh. I didn't realize I used those, I knew I used NFS but removed the panels and replaced em with stock ones. Even weirder is the Near Future Spacecraft.... huh.

I forget the parts that they fulfilled now... I know that one was a solar panel and that lead me to NF Solar and there was a 5-way resistostat or something... that was NF Spacecraft I think....and NF Construction was something structural I believe....

@The Destroyer. Attempting to fly the Z-6 and the ramjets won't toggle because it says there is no reactor connected. Am I missing something? How do you fly this beast? Are you supposed to leave the runway on the wakefields?

VQQphNQ.png

@zanie420 Well, that's odd. My turbojets worked just fine, as long as they were close to the reactor, just not directly connected. 

B2875EB2C44DD9BA969AF5AD80CCA7E074A97D28

They were working last week, maybe one of @FreeThinkers KSPI updates broke it. Or maybe it has something to do with the Near Future Electrical patch I use, maybe you need it? Not sure

Also, I thought the Resistojet was KSPI as I thought it used Megajoules and hydrogen... hm.

As per procedure, the Z-6 takes off on its turbojets, activates ramjets and flies at roughly 45 degree angle ascent until they cut out and D-T for orbit. Wakefields NEVER use at high throttle unless emergency

Edited by The Destroyer

9 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

@zanie420 Well, that's odd. My turbojets worked just fine, as long as they were close to the reactor, just not directly connected. 

They were working last week, maybe one of @FreeThinkers KSPI updates broke it. Or maybe it has something to do with the Near Future Electrical patch I use, maybe you need it? Not sure

Exactly what is broken?

I did make a change in 1.11.18 that slightly changed the connecting of parts to reactors (to improve it). I did several test but your setup might be unque

please verify if the problem persist with the previous version

Edited by FreeThinker

4 hours ago, FreeThinker said:

Exactly what is broken?

I did make a change in 1.11.18 that slightly changed the connecting of parts to reactors (to improve it). I did several test but your setup might be unque

please verify if the problem persist with the previous version

Nothing broken I think. I was hoping I was just missing something simple, like a setting or change in configuration.

In his ship design, @The Destroyer  has ramjets that work (seen above), which are NOT directly connected to the reactor. When I finally was able to load the craft files he graciously uploaded, I found that his VTOL setup doesn't work for me because of this. I cannot activate the jets.

@The Destroyer, could you possibly list a readout from the AVC tool, so I can try figure out which mod may be allowing you this freedom? I REALLY want to take the Z-6 out to Jool.....

@zanie420 Busy as always, will check today. EDIT: Here it is Zanie and @FreeThinker

KSP: 1.2.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit
Filter Extensions - 2.7.4.2
Toolbar - 1.7.13
USI Tools - 0.8.7
B9 Part Switch - 1.5.3
Bon Voyage - 0.11.1
CameraTools - 1.7
Community Category Kit - 1.2.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.6.4
CommunityTechTree - 3.0.3
Contract Configurator - 1.22.1
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.10
Extraplanetary Launchpads - 5.5.4
Firespitter - 7.5
Flexible Docking - 1.0.4
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.3.2
KAS - 0.6.1
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.2.8
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.3.1
HyperEdit - 1.5.3
KerbNet Controller - 1.0.2
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.4
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.2
NearFutureConstruction - 0.7.2
NearFutureElectrical - 0.8.2
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.8.2
NearFutureSolar - 0.7.1
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.5.4
Outer Planets Mod - 2.0
Play Your Way - 1.0.1
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.1
RCS Sounds - 5.0
Science Relay - 1.0.3
SSTULabs - 0.5.34.130
StageRecovery - 1.6.5
Strategia - 1.5
TweakScale - 2.3.3
USI Core - 0.3.5
Karbonite - 0.8.4
Karbonite Plus - 0.7.3
Konstruction - 0.1.8
USI-LS - 0.5.14
Malemute Rover - 0.2.3
UKS - 0.50.8
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.11.14

Edited by The Destroyer
mods

5 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

@zanie420 Busy as always, will check today. EDIT: Here it is Zanie and @FreeThinker

KSP: 1.2.2 (Win64) - Unity: 5.4.0p4 - OS: Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601) 64bit
Filter Extensions - 2.7.4.2
Toolbar - 1.7.13
USI Tools - 0.8.7
B9 Part Switch - 1.5.3
Bon Voyage - 0.11.1
CameraTools - 1.7
Community Category Kit - 1.2.1
Community Resource Pack - 0.6.4
CommunityTechTree - 3.0.3
Contract Configurator - 1.22.1
CustomBarnKit - 1.1.10
Extraplanetary Launchpads - 5.5.4
Firespitter - 7.5
Flexible Docking - 1.0.4
Interstellar Fuel Switch - 2.3.2
KAS - 0.6.1
Kerbal Engineer Redux - 1.1.2.8
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement - 3.3.1
HyperEdit - 1.5.3
KerbNet Controller - 1.0.2
Kerbal Inventory System - 1.4
KSP-AVC Plugin - 1.1.6.2
ModularFlightIntegrator - 1.2.2
NearFutureConstruction - 0.7.2
NearFutureElectrical - 0.8.2
NearFuturePropulsion - 0.8.2
NearFutureSolar - 0.7.1
NearFutureSpacecraft - 0.5.4
Outer Planets Mod - 2.0
Play Your Way - 1.0.1
RCS Build Aid - 0.9.1
RCS Sounds - 5.0
Science Relay - 1.0.3
SSTULabs - 0.5.34.130
StageRecovery - 1.6.5
Strategia - 1.5
TweakScale - 2.3.3
USI Core - 0.3.5
Karbonite - 0.8.4
Karbonite Plus - 0.7.3
Konstruction - 0.1.8
USI-LS - 0.5.14
Malemute Rover - 0.2.3
UKS - 0.50.8
KSP Interstellar Extended - 1.11.14

Damn, that way too many mods, could you please limit to the Mods that are required to make the vessels work?

At least from this I can possibly extrapolate.

16 hours ago, The Destroyer said:

@FreeThinker That's the thing. Near future (all of it), konstruction, KSPI, USI-LS are all thats needed. What I'm not sure is what's required to make the craft fly :P 

Do a new install, add only the above mods that actually allow me to open the craft files. Then add a mod the we possibly suspect could allow a ramjet to work without needing to be directly attached to a reactor. Like the ones both I, and @The Destroyer have pictured above. It has to be something to do with placement right? Do either of you, @FreeThinker, have an idea of which from the list of mods above to try first or maybe outright eliminate as candidates?

edit: I suppose it IS just simple process of elimination and time to figure it out

Edited by zanie420

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.