Flag modding questions!

So, I recently stumbled over this:

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:Create_custom_flags

I had been toying with creating custom flags for my storyline for some time, and I was happy t find someone had made a tutorial on it. I tried to replicate it, and as far as I can tell, I followed all the steps correctly. However, the flag does not show up in game. I was also unable to find some other flags in the "Flags"-folder, for example the ESA flags and all the companies' flags.

Can someone help me maybe? Is this still possible?

Thanks in advance! Cheers! :D

Thanks for the tutorial video, very kind.

I followed allthe steps as they are the same described in the tutorial I linked above. Also checked if they are the correct sizen, and I saved them as .png. Sadly, it still does not work.

Maybe it is because I have the non-steam version of KSP?

Steam has nothing to do with this. Maybe post your flag here so we can have a look?

Also, putting a flag into "Squad/Flags/" folder is good enough for testing but for real, you are batter off creating another folder alongside Squad/ (can be named anything, say "myzupaduppaflagmod") and have another "Flags/" inside. Game will merge all such Flags directories contents with Squad one. 

Flags must be in PNG format. You can have a folder called whatever you want, but inside that folder you must have a "Flags" folder and yes, the Flags must be capitalized. Then put your flags in there.

So: GameData/Budgey/Flags is what the folder structure needs to look like.

After everyone's suggestions have been taken, scroll up or down in the flag selection window in game depending on the name of your new folder. Flags are grouped alphabetically by mod folder name.

Example, USI Flags appear way up top in that window because they're in the "000_USITools" folder and numbered folders are read before letters. 

I'd like to ask my own flag question while I'm here. Is there a code or syntax to make KSP not load a flag? I've made over a dozen flags for a solar system mod and they're practically completely hidden because there are simply so many stock flags. 

13 hours ago, StupidAndy said:

PNG format

256x160

go to your KSP folder

go to gamedata

go to SQUAD folder

go to flags

VOILA! FLAGS!!

Yep, did that. And yes, I also scrolled :sticktongue:

Still does not work. Folder I made is called "Custom Content", so it should appear quite at the top.

13 hours ago, The Budgey Admiral said:

Still does not work. Folder I made is called "Custom Content", so it should appear quite at the top.

No spaces in any names inside of GameData. Flag images must be inside a "Flags" folder. Also be case-sensitive because it matters on Mac and Linux (and is easy on the eyes). You should have GameData\CustomContent\Flags\MyEpicFlag.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

On 11. 1. 2017 at 10:16 PM, The Budgey Admiral said:

Thanks @radonek, I followed your recommendation and created my own folder in the Squad folder. Sadly it still does not show up. :/

no no NO. I said OUTSIDE Squad folder. And just to be clear, by that I mean "GameData/Squad/". There is already Flags inside Squad folder.

This is how it ought to look.

lWHFuu3J0.png

21 hours ago, The Budgey Admiral said:

What we need is you to upload the flag to Imgur or some image hosting site and put it here so we can check that it should work. Also post a pic of your Flag Directory with the filepath at the top clearly visible (edit it if you don't want your name to show up)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎14‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 1:28 PM, RA3236 said:

What we need is you to upload the flag to Imgur or some image hosting site and put it here so we can check that it should work. Also post a pic of your Flag Directory with the filepath at the top clearly visible (edit it if you don't want your name to show up)

http://imgur.com/jkKzAdr

http://imgur.com/9zatO6i

http://imgur.com/Bzp7BKg

This should now work. Sorry for the delay.

29 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

Works for me.

2ilSA0Z.png

First three.

2DrtOsG.png

Make sure you don't use any fancy characters (or spaces) in the filenames.

Thanks so much! It finally worked, I had the names with spaces and # in them, that caused it... :rolleyes:

Thanks to you all who helped me, sorry for my...inexperience with such things :sticktongue:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.