Bigger landing legs!

As someone who doesn't like to use modded parts and is a big fan of SpaceX at the moment, I would really like to see bigger parts. Right now, if you want to build a stock Falcon 9 replica, you are going to either have to get the biggest landing legs to work somehow OR use hinges to build custom landing legs like EJ_SA did. Come on Squad! I want to see some larger landing legs!

Fire

For a nice example of bigger landing legs-- with, incidentally, a SpaceX flavor-- check out the SpaceY mod.

I'm not trying to present "there's a mod for that" as an answer :wink: ...just a handy source of inspiration.

On 10.1.2017 at 8:53 PM, Firemetal said:

As someone who doesn't like to use modded parts and is a big fan of SpaceX at the moment, I would really like to see bigger parts. Right now, if you want to build a stock Falcon 9 replica, you are going to either have to get the biggest landing legs to work somehow OR use hinges to build custom landing legs like EJ_SA did. Come on Squad! I want to see some larger landing legs!

Fire

Yes, I agree so much, we definitely need this. EJ style Kraken hinges are fine for medium sized rockets most of the times (but still cumbersome because of added part count) but for 3.75m boosters I have yet to come up with hinged legs that work reliably.

A set of SpaceX style landing legs for all stock tank sizes (pretty much exactly what SpaceY has) would be so nice to have in stock. Really quite an obvious addition. Squad, you can keep the gridfins for now (as well as any other new fancy feature), but please please give us proper landing legs.

Edited by Dafni

13 hours ago, Snark said:

For a nice example of bigger landing legs-- with, incidentally, a SpaceX flavor-- check out the SpaceY mod.

I'm not trying to present "there's a mod for that" as an answer :wink: ...just a handy source of inspiration.

I know about that mod. I am basically saying it should be stock. 5m tanks? Yeah! Bigger landing legs? Heck yeah! But... I ain't downloading no mods so... yeah.

Fire

12 hours ago, Dafni said:

Yes, I agree so much, we definitely need this. EJ style Kraken hinges are fine for medium sized rockets most of the times (but still cumbersome because of added part count) but for 3.75m boosters I have yet to come up with hinged legs that work reliably.

A set of SpaceX style landing legs for all stock tank sizes (pretty much exactly what SpaceY has) would be so nice to have in stock. Really quite and obvious addition. Squad, you can keep the gridfins for now (as well as any other new fancy feature), but please please give us proper landing legs.

(Sorry for double post :blush:)

Yeah. Ej's Neptune launcher which is probably about 5m in diameter tipped over last night on landing. This was because he landed on a hill but things might have been better had he had some nice landing legs on it which he doesn't. So yeah squad. We need more landing gear. Can a Squad Dev please post on this topic? Thanks.

Fire

2 hours ago, Firemetal said:

But... I ain't downloading no mods so... yeah.

That's fine, if circumstances or preferences require it... but I'm curious as to the reason why?  Is it because you're playing on console (and therefore can't use mods), or is there another reason?

Not gonna try to persuade you (or anyone else) otherwise, I'm just curious about the reason.

1 hour ago, Snark said:

That's fine, if circumstances or preferences require it... but I'm curious as to the reason why?  Is it because you're playing on console (and therefore can't use mods), or is there another reason?

Not gonna try to persuade you (or anyone else) otherwise, I'm just curious about the reason.

Nope. I'm not on the console. I just try to stay away from mods. SpaceY looks like a great stock alike mod that I may use in a somewhat modded save. BUT Right now I'm on a strictly vanilla game and would like to keep it that way for a while. That's all.

Fire

On 1/13/2017 at 9:54 PM, Firemetal said:

Ej's Neptune launcher which is probably about 5m in diameter tipped over last night on landing.

He did one now, early in the RTF marathon stream. Glorious Neptune RTLS landing.

• 1 month later...

I'll get on the bandwagon for this one -- for landing on moons as well as for landing boosters back at KSC.  If you build a lander with 1.25 m parts, it's really not very stable on landing even with a Terrier engine; if you mount a Swivel or Reliant, you'll find the legs won't even touch the ground before the engine bell.  If we had longer legs, more or less in SpaceX style, we'd have a more "spread" stance on a surface, even if we don't get much additional height.  Otherwise, I'm going to have to come up with a way to launch a lander with radial tanks on a 1.25 m launcher, just so I have a place to put the legs to give enough stability for a landing without perfectly zero horizontal velocity (especially likely before I get RCS in my Science save).

And yes, so far I'm almost mod free; the only mod I've installed to date is Better Burn Time.  Nothing against mods, just trying to keep the load on my computer under control (apparently people who ride their old machines until they drop shouldn't try to play games at all).

Yes.

(Sorry in advance.)

Spoiler

YesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYesYes!

Mostly because it would make doing epic stuff like this:

NADTm84.png

A lot easier.

Yet another part that the stock game has been lacking for a long time. Yes, there are stock ways around the lack of big landing legs and yes, there are plenty of mod options (some of them very good!), but for those of us trying to stick to a stock game for the sake of it (like me at the moment) or playing on console, we really are in desperate need of proper legs for really big landers.

Really, I think if Squad wants to know what parts the stock game is most severely lacking, they should scroll through some pictures of user spacecraft and look for where the lack of a part is causing everybody to constantly have to either use zillions of a smaller equivalent (e. g. RCS, Rapiers, SRBs) or come up with crazy and cumbersome workarounds (e. g. landing gear). They have taken a few steps in the right direction recently by adding the Goliath jet and larger wheels, but there's still a lot of huge gaps in the lineup for sizes above 1.25 meters.

36 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

NADTm84.png

A lot easier.

You built a ship with 768 seats and sent it Minmus so that ONE KERBAL COULD PLANT A FLAG....

My friend, easy ways to do this do not start with giant landing gear.

edit: On closer inspection I see that there are more seats. My point is stronger than ever.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

I assume the point wasn't so that one Kerbal could plant a flag, it was sending the whole thing in the first place :P

That said, some beefier landing legs would certainly be appreciated. Watching people use large airplane wheels as landing legs hurts me inside. :(

Yeah, this is one case I'm also totally on board. I would love to see at least one really big set of landing legs one of these days.

1 hour ago, Ultimate Steve said:

A lot easier.

Wow... that is so insanely Kerbal!!!  Well done, my friend! :cool:

Edited by Just Jim

But if Squad did this, people would want a larger diameter fairings to cover up those unsightly landing legs and then they'd want a bigger diameter engine/fuel tanks to go with the fairings!

And then, people would want landing legs for the new largest pieces, and the developers would cry, knowing the cycle cannot be broken. :( 

2 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

You built a ship with 768 seats and sent it Minmus so that ONE KERBAL COULD PLANT A FLAG....

Well, actually 916...

1 hour ago, foamyesque said:

I assume the point wasn't so that one Kerbal could plant a flag, it was sending the whole thing in the first place :P

Reason One: That cool picture.

Reason Two: Experience.

Reason Three: In my mission report the entire goal is to evacuate Kerbin. I thought I'd start with a giant 916 Kerbal spaceship...

56 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Wow... that is so insanely Kerbal!!!  Well done, my friend! :cool:

Thank you! :D

15 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Well, actually 916...

Reason One: That cool picture.

Reason Two: Experience.

Reason Three: In my mission report the entire goal is to evacuate Kerbin. I thought I'd start with a giant 916 Kerbal spaceship...

Thank you! :D

Reason 4: Because you can!!!  :D

Actually, I had a ship a while back that was smaller, but very similar in design, and suffered from the same problem:

Spoiler

mY4aU0p.jpg

aL7yDuX.jpg

As you can see, the only thing I had at the time strong enough to hold the weight was the largest set of landing wheels. And while they did OK, they looked a little weird. I would have loved a beefy set of legs strong enough to hold instead.

Edited by Just Jim

35 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Reason 4: Because you can!!!  :D

Actually, I had a ship a while back that was smaller, but very similar in design, and suffered from the same problem:

Hide contents

mY4aU0p.jpg

aL7yDuX.jpg

As you can see, the only thing I had at the time strong enough to hold the weight was the largest set of landing wheels. And while they did OK, they looked a little weird. I would have loved a beefy set of legs strong enough to hold instead.

*hurts inside*

34 minutes ago, max_creative said:

Bigger landing legs so I don't have to land my bigger rockets on their bigger engines! :D 

Bigger stuff is always awesome! 

Yes, and so I don't have to use XL girders as "legs" for my surface bases!

(OK, I only bothered with one base, and it was my first attempt at a design, and I've now "graduated" myself from running unmodded so next time it'd be moot anyhow.  But still... they would be nice for stock.  Just sayin'!)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.