[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

Hello!

I am experiencing weird problem. I have two ships: orbital tug and Mun lander, both equippd with MechJeb.

Everything works just fine unless you dock theese two together and set tug to push lander. This means, turn off engine of lander, set "control from here" for tug's docking port or tug's mechjeb. After that MechJeb fails to warp to maneuver node. It fires engine immediately  when told to "Execute next node".

What could that be?

9 minutes ago, sarbian said:

Does the delta V windows content looks OK ? 

Not directly related, but I had something wrong with maneuver nodes. If during the execution I switch from flight mode to map mode, really rarely the maneuver get duplicated. If you want, I'll provide a log as soon as I have that issue again.

52 minutes ago, sarbian said:

Does the delta V windows content looks OK ? 

Bingo, that was the clue :)

It showed zero TWR for TUG's stage and, somehow, two stages.

it appears that problem was due to DMaginc seismic sensor module, attached to lander. Somehow it was present in staging sequence as... decoupler o_O

After "decoupled" it (it actually disappeared from ship),it works fine.

Also, Lander's engine was never activated via staging sequence (only manually). If I activate it via staging (a then shutdown manually), it also fixes problem even without seismic sensor "decoupling".

Really, realy strange stuff happens in Mun orbit... :)

Thanks for help!

Edited by 0x7be

54 minutes ago, 0x7be said:

Really, realy strange stuff happens in Mun orbit... :)

Thanks for help!

If you still have a save around I would like to have a look. I may be able to fix it anyway

24 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

@sarbian what's the font in you're avatar?

Well... My heart rate went up for a few mins when I could not locate the svg. Thanksfully it was in the obvious "D:\Backup_Win8_C\Users\Sarbian\Documents" (Thanks me for not deleting all those "backup_xxx" laying around...)

The name is just plain Lucida Sans Unicode and the braille is this one 

Edited by sarbian

8 minutes ago, sarbian said:

If you still have a save around I would like to have a look. I may be able to fix it anyway

Didn't figured out, how to make attachment here.

Uploaded it to yandex disk: https://yadi.sk/d/ckO9ZyxUzRNoB

Everything is set up, node is created.

To reproduce you should only issue "Execute next node" command in Maneuver Planner window.

CKAN mod export file: https://yadi.sk/d/XIBYEfFJ3AuDyc

I hope it would help.

I'm having a similar issue with maneuver nodes getting executed immediately in RO, and I'm wondering if it has to do with more that one part having a mechjeb module. EDIT: that doesn't seem to be the problem :(

Edited by rsparkyc

5 minutes ago, rsparkyc said:

I'm having a similar issue with maneuver nodes getting executed immediately, and I'm wondering if it has to do with more that one part having a mechjeb module.

The only problem I have had with such rigs is if the game gets the wrong notion as to where to control from.  It made for some rather dramatic crashes when my rover tried to control the rocket that lifted it!  Said rocket had a probe core pointing up, a command module, a probe core pointing horizontal and the inline cockpit pointing horizontal.  (I'm running the mod that puts MechJeb on anything that controls a rocket, so that would have been 4 instances.)

I'm experiencing some difficulties using the "Launch into plane of target" mode of the ascent guidance window, namely that it will launch at the completely wrong time instead of waiting from the AN/DN. I've even tried warping until KSC was nearly under the DN, but when I tried to activate the mode, it tried to time warp for an additional 2 hours, placing me nearly 90° out of the correct orbital plane. I'm pretty trash at flying ascents, especially into specific planes, which is why I use MJ for this, but this error has completely halted my current career because all of my current contracts are related to Minmus and so I'm not able to do anything until I get this sorted. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

KSP.log in case it can help at all...

EDIT: Doing a factory reset "seems" to have fixed the issue, but I would still like to know what could have caused this and/or if there is a better way to fix it so I can handle it more easily in the future.

Edited by SpacedInvader

1 hour ago, SpacedInvader said:

I'm pretty trash at flying ascents, especially into specific planes, which is why I use MJ for this, but this error has completely halted my current career because all of my current contracts are related to Minmus and so I'm not able to do anything until I get this sorted. Any help would be appreciated.

@SpacedInvader  In the future, you can also launch into a standard (0 inclination) orbit, and "match planes with target".

Howdy

I have a question: I just put a ScanSat in orbit to map kerbin. Then i was fooling around the script mode(beta), and i saw that you can programe manouvers ahead using that tool. The satelite is exactly at the equator 72km orbit. I thought of increasing its inclination every five orbits or so, eventually covering kerbin entirely after a due set of time.

Now to the actual question, will it work when i'm not using the satellite? or i have to be using the craft the whole time in order to function it?

Edited by PayadorPerseguido

57 minutes ago, PayadorPerseguido said:

Howdy

I have a question: I just put a ScanSat in orbit to map kerbin. Then i was fooling around the script mode(beta), and i saw that you can programe manouvers ahead using that tool. The satelite is exactly at the equator 72km orbit. I thought of increasing its inclination every five orbits or so, eventually covering kerbin entirely after a due set of time.

Now to the actual question, will it work when i'm not using the satellite? or i have to be using the craft the whole time in order to function it?

Simply start it in a non-resonant polar orbit.  It will eventually cover everything.

Edited by Loren Pechtel

I've been having an issue with MechJeb since 1.2 came out.  When I set up and maneuver node (manually or using Jeb) and hit execute, the ship rotates to the "maneuver" node  an appears to stop.  Time acceleration then kicks in, but the orientation of the ship starts to drift off of the node.  It drops out of warp and moves back, goes into warp, but drifts again.  Just keeps doing this, bouncing back and forth over the node and never kicks into warp properly.  It does this maybe 20 times then finally settles and warps as normal.  If I use SMARTASS and point it at the node and let it sit for a few seconds then hit execute it works fine.    Any ideas?

21 minutes ago, Eugene Moreau said:

I've been having an issue with MechJeb since 1.2 came out.  When I set up and maneuver node (manually or using Jeb) and hit execute, the ship rotates to the "maneuver" node  an appears to stop.  Time acceleration then kicks in, but the orientation of the ship starts to drift off of the node.  It drops out of warp and moves back, goes into warp, but drifts again.  Just keeps doing this, bouncing back and forth over the node and never kicks into warp properly.  It does this maybe 20 times then finally settles and warps as normal.  If I use SMARTASS and point it at the node and let it sit for a few seconds then hit execute it works fine.    Any ideas?

I've had this issue too. But it happens to me with or without mechjeb. It seems the manoeuvre node isn't being calculated properly when it's a long way away(in time). And drifts during timewarp back towards the correct location. This seems to be a bigger issue the further away the manoeuvre node is. Which would fit with you eventually being able to warp properly, which would be as you had come closer to the manoeuvre node rather than anything to do with the number of times it had tried to timewarp. It is the manouvre node that is drifting rather than the orientation of the ship.

I assume that Mechjeb doesn't do anything with the manoeuvre node other than to set one so I had assumed that it was a stock issue and not a Mechjeb issue.

41 minutes ago, dboi88 said:

I've had this issue too. But it happens to me with or without mechjeb. It seems the manoeuvre node isn't being calculated properly when it's a long way away(in time). And drifts during timewarp back towards the correct location. This seems to be a bigger issue the further away the manoeuvre node is. Which would fit with you eventually being able to warp properly, which would be as you had come closer to the manoeuvre node rather than anything to do with the number of times it had tried to timewarp. It is the manouvre node that is drifting rather than the orientation of the ship.

Interesting--that would explain the trouble I have been having chasing a runaway Kerbal.  It started out as a perfectly ordinary rescue contract for a Kerbal stranded in a high Kerbin orbit.  Apparently there was an encounter with a moon that resulted in ejection (I didn't see what happened) and now he's in an orbit that goes between Kerbin and Eve.  I sent out a rocket with a boatload of Δv and twice now I have missed the maneuver node because it was in the past when KAC reminded me.

13 hours ago, PayadorPerseguido said:

To answer the question, I think you need to be in control of the vessel for the nodes to execute.

4 hours ago, dboi88 said:

I assume that Mechjeb doesn't do anything with the manoeuvre node other than to set one so I had assumed that it was a stock issue and not a Mechjeb issue.

Doesn't happen with out MechJeb.  If I turn off auto-warp, engage Jeb, wait for it to line up to the maneuver node, give a couple seconds to calm down, then turn on auto-warp, it's all happy.

MechJebModuleSpaceplaneAutopilot.cs from lines 239 to 256 populate the runway list with both the KSC Runway and Island Runway with the vanilla Kerbin locations if they are not specified elsewhere i.e. LandingSites.cfg 

// Create a default config file in MJ dir for those ?
if (!runways.Any(p => p.name == "KSC runway"))
	runways.Add(new Runway //The runway at KSC
	{
		name = "KSC runway",
		body = Planetarium.fetch.Home,
		start = new Runway.Endpoint { latitude = -0.050185, longitude = -74.490867, altitude = 69.01 },
		end = new Runway.Endpoint { latitude = -0.0485981, longitude = -74.726413, altitude = 69.01 }
	});

if (!runways.Any(p => p.name == "Island runway"))
	runways.Add(new Runway //The runway on the island off the KSC coast.
	{
		name = "Island runway",
		start = new Runway.Endpoint { latitude = -1.517306, longitude = -71.965488, altitude = 133.17 },
		end = new Runway.Endpoint { latitude = -1.515980, longitude = -71.852408, altitude = 133.17 }
	});

However, if I am using a Planet Pack that does not have the Island Runway, how can I specify in the LandingSites.cfg to remove the Island Runway entry?

I would have though that this would work:

MechJeb2Landing:AFTER[MechJeb2]
{
	Runways
	{
		!Runway[Island runway]	
	}
}

... but it does not seem to work. Any ideas?

24 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

MechJebModuleSpaceplaneAutopilot.cs from lines 239 to 256 populate the runway list with both the KSC Runway and Island Runway with the vanilla Kerbin locations if they are not specified elsewhere i.e. LandingSites.cfg 

// Create a default config file in MJ dir for those ?
if (!runways.Any(p => p.name == "KSC runway"))
	runways.Add(new Runway //The runway at KSC
	{
		name = "KSC runway",
		start = new Runway.Endpoint { latitude = -0.050185, longitude = -74.490867, altitude = 69.01 },
		end = new Runway.Endpoint { latitude = -0.0485981, longitude = -74.726413, altitude = 69.01 }
	});

if (!runways.Any(p => p.name == "Island runway"))
	runways.Add(new Runway //The runway on the island off the KSC coast.
	{
		name = "Island runway",
		start = new Runway.Endpoint { latitude = -1.517306, longitude = -71.965488, altitude = 133.17 },
		end = new Runway.Endpoint { latitude = -1.515980, longitude = -71.852408, altitude = 133.17 }
	});

However, if I am using a Planet Pack that does not have the Island Runway, how can I specify in the LandingSites.cfg to remove the Island Runway entry?

I would have though that this would work:

MechJeb2Landing:AFTER[MechJeb2]
{
	Runways
	{
		!Runway[Island runway]	
	}
}

... but it does not seem to work. Any ideas?

Yep, read 1 page back

On 1/23/2017 at 3:08 PM, sarbian said:

Drop this file in your install and edit it to add what you want. MJ will load it. It also auto imports RSS and KerbTown/Kerbal-Konstructs launch site

You can add a custom info item "Lat/Lon/Alt Copy to Clipboard" (misc category) to help you to get the info to add in the file.

13 minutes ago, edemlama said:

MechJeb  ascent guidance keeps overshooting the apoapsis by a lot (if I set the orbit to 5000km the final apoapsis will be around 6000km). Has anyone else encountered this issue? 

I've seen it.  MechJeb doesn't do a good job of handling TWR changes during a maneuver node burn.  If a high TWR stage burns out and a low TWR stage takes over during the circularization burn you get an orbit that's far from circular.

2 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

I've seen it.  MechJeb doesn't do a good job of handling TWR changes during a maneuver node burn.  If a high TWR stage burns out and a low TWR stage takes over during the circularization burn you get an orbit that's far from circular.

ok I'll change my design and see if the problem persist. Thanks!