[1.12.x] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - [2.14.3] [4th March 2023]

sarbian

15 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

What is your target altitude? I've seen that behavior but suspect that it's more to do with hitting the final stage of its ascent. I submitted some tweaking of the ascent mode quite awhile back and IIRC, what it's supposed to stay basically neutral with regards to attitude, either staying oriented to its last desired target heading or zeroing its AoA. (I forget which)

But I think a few months back some pull requests might have changed behavior in the final part of ascent.

85km target Ap from Kerbin launch, 45% turn, 1 degree final angle, 2.5km / 250 m/s initial turn.  Lots of heating at 30-35km, fairings get kicked at 50-55km.  First stage gets dropped at 65km (I'm coasting by then with an Ap of 85km), SRBs got dropped back at 14-18km altitude.

Once it gets above 65km or so, the tail wagging goes away.

I've also experienced the tail-wagging. It happens to every one of my ships when I set my launch altitude to 1000km. Click "Show navball ascent guidance" and watch what happens at the tail-wagging altitude. The pink target drifts lazily to the side, then suddenly snaps back to the center again. This causes the ship to briefly steer in those directions and wag its tail.

I have a question on default settings for Ascent, specifically the Stage Fairings when --> Altitude > [50]km   what can i change to make this default to 100km. I'm running RSS and have a bunch of venus missions with large draggy payloads going to earth orbit.  I forget to change it.  not a huge problem but i want to make a change and could not find a relevant settings in the configs i browsed through.

Second I have a question about my ascents inclination.  I have a balloon lifted Venus lander dropping from the balloon with inclination set to 0 i get a 180deg final inclination, but if i enter -180 i get a final inclination of 0.  Is this an artifact of starting the ascent with a negative vertical velocity?  I've been getting similar problems using launch to rendezvous giving me the opposite angle plane instead of the targets plane.

On 01/03/2017 at 6:19 PM, JayPee said:

tail-waggers: I've had this issue, but it seems to stop if I un-check "Corrective Steering" when the wagging starts

Not for me it doesn't unfortunately. 

MJ had this before a while ago. Sarbian tweaked something and it went away. 

On 3/1/2017 at 9:36 AM, JonathanPerregaux said:

I've also experienced the tail-wagging. It happens to every one of my ships when I set my launch altitude to 1000km. Click "Show navball ascent guidance" and watch what happens at the tail-wagging altitude. The pink target drifts lazily to the side, then suddenly snaps back to the center again. This causes the ship to briefly steer in those directions and wag its tail.

I get this also, assumed it was one final attempt to correct inclination before circulization.  Can really mess up a close to atmosphere burn.

Two lost rockets because the off axis thrust made it fail to push the apoapsis soon enough up to target height and then the rocket took too long re-orienting for circulization burn and began descent while circ and dropped back into atmosphere.

Had to stop the unattended launches to 250x250 refueling band I was using.  Moved it all up to my 1000x1000 planetary transfer band and bumped the final angle up to 3deg. (RSS)

Edited by Bornholio
note that i'm running RSS earth KSC at Cape Canaveral

51 minutes ago, ParasciHHO said:

The mod stops functioning when the ship have no signal. Is it a bug or designed to be like that way?

MJ has to be able to send control inputs. Those get locked out if there's no signal. I don't know how that could be worked around programatically. 

Feature request:

Look for KAC.  If it's trying to bring a node to your attention do not try to push the warp back up after it dewarped things!

I'm trying to put a satellite in orbit of Gilly--and KAC jumps up about a ship burning for Eeloo.  I manage to switch to it not too far after the maneuver node to salvage the mess, send it on it's way and set a node at the SOI to prepare a course correction.

I get back to the Gilly bird, it's still 2d from it's maneuver node.  Same thing happens--the Eeloo bird tries to dewarp for it's SOI alarm and MechJeb fights it.  At least getting to that one a day late didn't matter--it doesn't want to do the correction for 200 days anyway.

10 hours ago, Starwaster said:

MJ has to be able to send control inputs. Those get locked out if there's no signal. I don't know how that could be worked around programatically. 

Just uncheck "require signal for control" in your [save game] option settings.

19 hours ago, ParasciHHO said:

The mod stops functioning when the ship have no signal. Is it a bug or designed to be like that way?

It's my fault. MJ should have worked well with stock commnet, but I'm currently running on remotetech and it's based on someting very different. MJ and remotetech are incompatible and don't have avaliable patches now. RT team promised to fix this issue in next version, but the date is not sure since it will be a huge update with a bunch of new features.

Coming back to the game after a month or six weeks away ... I am trying to grab the latest MJ dev build but something seems to be up with Sarbian's server. Is this a known thing or just a temporary problem today? 

EDIT: And now it's working an hour or 90 minutes later. I guess Sarbian must've kicked the server or something. :wink:  Grabbing 687 now. :)

Edited by LameLefty

1 hour ago, LameLefty said:

EDIT: And now it's working an hour or 90 minutes later. I guess Sarbian must've kicked the server or something. :wink:  Grabbing 687 now. :)

I did :) I should add a job to restart jenkins at least once a week...

I'm having trouble understanding how to use ascent guidance to launch into the plane of a target.  There isn't a delay after engaging autopilot and I invariably end up way out of alignment, even worse than if I'd have launched normally.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't find a definitive guide to this specific feature anywhere.  Can someone give me some tips?

29 minutes ago, DoubleUU said:

I'm having trouble understanding how to use ascent guidance to launch into the plane of a target.  There isn't a delay after engaging autopilot and I invariably end up way out of alignment, even worse than if I'd have launched normally.  I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but I can't find a definitive guide to this specific feature anywhere.  Can someone give me some tips?

You're not alone.  I don't try anymore.  In the rare case I need to launch to a non-equatorial target I use it to match the angle but launch by eyeball a little before the target overflies the launch location.

For Minmus I don't even try, I launch equatorial, burn equatorial and then do a mid-course correction.  The correction is small, it's not worth the hassle to save that bit of fuel.

14 minutes ago, Loren Pechtel said:

You're not alone.  I don't try anymore.  In the rare case I need to launch to a non-equatorial target I use it to match the angle but launch by eyeball a little before the target overflies the launch location.

For Minmus I don't even try, I launch equatorial, burn equatorial and then do a mid-course correction.  The correction is small, it's not worth the hassle to save that bit of fuel.

I was actually working on recovery contracts with very inclined orbits and couldn't get MechJeb to even get close.  I guess I need to play with it some more.  I thought about downloading a recent dev version in the off chance this was something that was broken and has been fixed.

10 hours ago, DoubleUU said:

I was actually working on recovery contracts with very inclined orbits and couldn't get MechJeb to even get close.  I guess I need to play with it some more.  I thought about downloading a recent dev version in the off chance this was something that was broken and has been fixed.

As far as I'm concerned recovery contracts for non-equatorial orbits around Kerbin aren't worth doing.  I find the best picking to be Minmus.  I've got a 12-seat bus that gets to Minmus with ~1500m/s left after capture, I almost always fill the bus with fuel to spare.

If you have a bunch in an equatorial orbit you can sometimes do a much simpler although somewhat more expensive burn.  Assuming the next target isn't too far behind you in orbit gently burn radial out, watching the closest approach point.  When it gets close enough stop the burn and match velocities at closest approach.  Note that while you might go suborbital this way I have never seen it actually be dangerous as the intercept always comes before you get in danger.

Started up my game and ran a rocket that is about the 20th of that basic design for ascent stage up. 

Never noticed it to much before but now in Ascent it was all over the place, had to turn the gimbal down to 2% on the rocket and turn off rcs to stop it from slewing all over.  Then i get it burning to mars, do the node myself and tune it with rcs, get to mars, and lower my PE in to LMO.  Man Plan a circularize at PE, it swings straight past PE to about 30+deg MNA and starts burning, node is still there just no where near burn point, tried it 3 more times. each time it would time warp way past and start.  stop/started it a few times to make it closer and it may have actually times it right,  Either way not usable in that state.  Is there a good way to check file integrity.  I have it installed via CKAN and had not noticed it update.  Mechjeb is saying 2.6.0.0  Restart didn't fix it. Uninstalled, deleted folders and re-installed (Via CKAN).  Started working normally again. Wag/Slew on ascent is gone.

Gah suck! now I have to set up my custom window settings again.

Anyway, the short of it is  I noticed in all of this confusion a setting available under {custom window settings-->misc--> "[o] RO/RSS Special Handling (WIP)"}.   Any information available?

Hi guys I am new to KSP and Mech Jeb. The issue I am facing is that when I initiate ascent guidance to get to an orbit around Kerbin, it does not initiate the required fuel burn to keep the ship in orbit. If you have any questions or ideas please let me know. Thanks!

5 hours ago, KingGamma said:

Hi guys I am new to KSP and Mech Jeb. The issue I am facing is that when I initiate ascent guidance to get to an orbit around Kerbin, it does not initiate the required fuel burn to keep the ship in orbit. If you have any questions or ideas please let me know. Thanks!

If you are playing a career game and your tracking station is not upgraded then MJ can not create the node it uses to circularize. 

I'm experiencing the really strange problem with Mechjeb:

I'm in orbit, say 5000km*5000km, and use Mechjeb to lower my periapsis to 4000km. Mechjeb will perform a manoeuvre to lower my periapsis to 4000km perfectly. Immediately after, however, Mechjeb kicks off another burn to lower my periapsis even further. I'm really at a loss to as why. No other manoeuvre nodes were set.
Has this happened to anyone else recently?

3 hours ago, riT-k0MA said:

I'm in orbit, say 5000km*5000km, and use Mechjeb to lower my periapsis to 4000km. Mechjeb will perform a manoeuvre to lower my periapsis to 4000km perfectly. Immediately after, however, Mechjeb kicks off another burn to lower my periapsis even further. I'm really at a loss to as why. No other manoeuvre nodes were set.

Yes, but very seldom. I'd guess a dozen or more times I've had it do this or suddenly add thousands of dV and then be way off course.  I always save before letting MJ execute a task.

This is posted as a known issue inside Realism Overhaul Mod, are you using the 1.2.2 dev version of that?  actually ( Using Dev Build, can't figure out why it's executing the next manuver node immediatly. ) is the listed problem.

Outside of that case, did you change targets during the burn.  I find that messes up MJ pretty often.

Edited by Bornholio
edit for RO debugging note.

4 hours ago, riT-k0MA said:

In a couple of occasions, I had this issue while switching back and forth between the Flight View and the Map View.