Rover for Kerbin Travel

argento.user

I was looking to make a rover for tracking across Kerbin in. I don't want it to be able to fly with thrusters but it can have thrusters to move it faster. 

So far, these are the parts I plan to take

• Kerbal
  • stock tires (6 of them)
  • Remote controlling system (disk)
  • Battery (disk)
  • Solar Panels (like Mark Watney)
  • RTG's
  • Fuel (mono and liquid) (disk)
  • Thrusters (aiming down for downforce on hills)
  • small rocket (for extra speed on flats)
  • landing struts (Self-righting system for flipping myself)
  • Mining drill
  • Raw material to fuel converter 
  • communication system

If anyone has any ideas on what else to add or how to put all these on a rover, please tell me

Your ideas sound similar to some of the vehicles in the kerbar dakar challenge 

Here is one of mine which used similar ideas

xR7NXTQ.png

A good idea is to double up on the wheels. The use of juno engines with a boost flap (basically a movable wing that can block the thrust) provide a good boost of speed and can be turned off for hill descents

A self righting mechanism can be quite useful but only if it is protected from rolls 

Some more good ideas can be found below

As @mrmcp1 says, check out the Dakar entries, lot's of great designs with a focus on durability.

I don't recommend RTG's, you need loads to keep lots of wheels powered (and doubling up on wheels is a good idea, but adds more power drain) and then you're Kerbals will end up green...wait..well, it adds too much weight anyway. I suggest using fuel cells. 
Jet engines for speed boosters work nicely (and are fuel efficient) and you can use "boost flaps" to quickly activate/disable them (without waiting for engine spoolup/down). 
Landing gears make for a very strong rollcage, if you don't mind it looking a bit odd.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.