No sound on speakers, headphones work fine [Win 10 x64]

I play the game with sound from my speakers usually. One day, I decided to use my headphones (logitech G35) for a bit. While the game was open, I switched back to my speakers, but that didn't work. This usually means you just have to relaunch the game.

But that didn't work. When I have my speakers as my default audio device, KSP refuses to make any sound whatsoever. It is not muted in the volume mixer, but it does appear there. The crazy part is, the audio DOES work on my headphones (when I have those selected as audio device).

So, in short: KSP plays no sound when speakers are default audio devices, but the sound works fine when using my headphones.

I tried resetting setting, re-installing the game (to a different directory) and rebooting multiple times. I am at a loss. What can I do to solve this?

In the best of my knowledge, KSP does not care at all about how sound is going to be played. All it does have are settings about audio volume for different kind of game sounds, and for the "sound normalizer". All sounds are processed by the system (e.g., by DirectX in Windows) and other specialized software. Please check if you have other games showing the same issue (sound playing only from headphones), that would help finding where the issue really is. In case it only happens with KSP, I'd look if audio drivers are actually ok in the log files (please provide them as described here).

I checked, and it only happens to KSP. All games and other programs work as they should.

I have the output_log.txt here (when the speakers were selected): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22100136/output_log.txt

It seems the line: "FMOD failed to initialize the output device, attempting to initialize the null output.
 (Filename:  Line: 1197)"

This seems to indicate KSP fails to initialize my speakers as an output device. Yet, what can I do about this?

EDIT: Line 1197 is empty. here are lines 1196-1198:

1196> Load(Texture): Squad/Parts/Command/Mk1-2Pod/window
1197> 
1198> (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Edited by Killbeam

That message "FMOD failed to initialize..." seems really the hint we need. Googling with that message I can see a number of similar issues reported (e.g. this or this, but please check others too). As I can't replicate the issue on my system, I'm unable to check if what suggested in there works or not; however you seem to have good enough knowledge with PC to be able to test yourself. Hope something works.

(Note: Filename:   Line: 1197 refers to something else than the output_log file, could be about a Unity file).

As you could have noted, all googled pages refer to a Unity or FMOD bug (or, to how Audio service in Windows interfaces with Unity). That tells to me there isn't much to be done to fix it in KSP code. Also, Unity uses FMOD library but doesn't develop it, they also are probably waiting a fix (which may not be considered a priority, if other solutions to such issues work).

I have been trying a bunch of 'solution' found online, but nothing seems to be working.

It is really weird that only KSP has this issue and every other program and game is just fine. The fact that re-installing the game didn't help baffles me.

Is there anything I could still try?

EDIT: Scratch that, it is working again!
I found on some steam forum that turning down the Default Format of the soundcard could help (found under Sound>select soundcard>properties>advanced tab>default format>set to "DVD quality")
And now I have audio back in my speakers. (and the FMOD thing is gone too).

The weirdest part of it all, is that I didn't touch the default format at all. I have no idea why KSP suddenly stopped working.
But I'm glad it's fixed!

Edited by Killbeam

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.