KSP Weekly: Volunteers Wanted!

SQUAD

I'm glad to see that they're working hard on localization and consoles are finally getting a fix. I'm not a console player myself, but seeing that they're fixing those issues makes me trust Squad a bit more. Though what the Kraken are those "big epic surprises on the horizon" they're talking about? After them giving up the rocket parts revamp I'm not even sure we'll get the surprises. Either the surprises end up being more plane parts or a bunch more Devnotes hinting surprises :P

Edited by ZentroCatson

7 hours ago, Frybert said:

Honest question:

Would you rather them say nothing?

The issue is that KSP most wanted features such as more planets, better graphics, better sound design, improved rocket designs, Delta-V, proper radar altitude, transfer window helper, working burn time, etc. seems definitely dropped by Squad.

I'm not english native speaker, and I really don't get a damn about my native language translation. Even my 8year old kid who don't speak or read english could play the game...

Is there nothing really new in KSP ?

Very sad to see Squad waste time and effort on translations. I'd much rather see them fixing bug and actually improving the game.

But if you insist please make any localizations an optional module. I'd hate to see my installation bloated with dozens of useless text files and hundreds of textures I will NEVER EVER USE! Not even when you translate to Dutch.

32 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Very sad to see Squad waste time and effort on translations. I'd much rather see them fixing bug and actually improving the game.

Then rejoice and be happy! From the OP.  Emphasis added.

We are working on a number of streams including Bug-Fixing, Localization and releases after that.

Being an English-literate Englishman, I don't personally benefit from localisation. However, I do benefit from a big audience for KSP, because more players = more profits = more investment = more Kerbality. There may be some who already play KSP who have a basic grasp of English and for whom localisation is a waste of effort, but I dare say there are many more who have no English at all, who don't buy or play games that aren't in their native language, and who therefore won't play KSP unless it is localised for them. In short, AFAIC localisation is good news, people.

These dev reports are consistently sketchy about details, and ever has it been thus. Until the current dev team (keeping in mind the reshuffle of a few months ago) are approaching anything close to a releasable update they're going to give as little away as possible and rightly so. Why release details of sub-par unfinished products and face bad community reactions when you are already perfectly well aware that this is the case and you are still working on them?

There's still much more I'd like to see from Squad in KSP, but whether or not any of it will ever materialise I have no idea. I'm certainly not going to gripe about it anymore. KSP has given me thousands of hours of fun, and I dare say will give me many more in future whatever releases arrive.

I agree with everything @The_Rocketeer said.  I'm English, so I don't need any localisation, but China is a potentially HUGE market and more sales equals more money for development.  
As to vague updates, in light of what happened over the hype leading up to the release of No Man's Sky (They did everything they said they would, but people's imaginations went wild and expected something crazy-advanced), I wouldn't show any new work until I had a working late-alpha/early-beta build with a full explanation to the community either.

Rats, I'm not on social media..... no statues for Jim.  :(

Oh, and as for the new surprises, I look forward to them... I just hope I can integrate whatever changes lie ahead into Emiko Station.

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, klgraham1013 said:

Why is it so horrible that people from around the world play KSP in their own language?  I see it as Squad doing a courtesy to non-English speakers.  I really don't understand the hate.

I don't hate language patches and/or localization. I hate them being forced upon people without the ability to change manually. (Or the option to change buried at near impossible to find depths.)

And it does NOT bring a community together. It fragments it into smaller groups that have difficulty communicating and therefore do not share information.

50 minutes ago, KSK said:

Then rejoice and be happy! From the OP.  Emphasis added.

Yes, they fix some bugs but they're STILL wasting resources on useless features.

Edited by Tex_NL

11 hours ago, federicoaa said:

Chinese simplified only? sad, I could help with traditional

I was hoping i could help with my knowledge of old norse, but i have to admit that I do not know how "apoapsis", "thrust vectoring", and "escape velocity" translate to 9th century. I fear the result would be a bit Up Goer Five.

13 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

I don't hate language patches and/or localization. I hate them being forced upon people without the ability to change manually.

Many games with multiple languages allow you to choose your preference.   Squad'so tendency toward options leads me to believe languages will be no different. 

16 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

And it does NOT bring a community together. It fragments it into smaller groups that have difficulty communicating and therefore do not share information.

Isn't this exactly what having only one language already does?  Only those with some knowledge of English post on the forums as it is.

17 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

Yes, they fix some bugs but they're STILL wasting resources on useless features.

Localization is far from useless.  English is not a universal language. 

Just now, Jimbabble said:

in light of what happened over the hype leading up to the release of No Man's Sky (They did everything they said they would, but people's imaginations went wild and expected something crazy-advanced)

LOL, no they did not. That is why people where so angry.

Anyway, back on topic,

I truly hope the 'surprises' are stuff the community actually want.

Just now, Just Jim said:

I'm not on social media.

Although, that is the gift that just keeps on giving. :wink:

There's obviously a balance to strike between creating unrealistic, undeliverable promises (like No Man's Sky) and the opposite: being completely tight-lipped about what you're working on. Squad has been burned by being on the former end of the spectrum, so they've swung to the latter end of the spectrum. Why can't they find that happy medium?

Managers of Chinese KSP Community reproduced the news to Chinese players, I am sure SQUAD can find helpers to cope with the translation problems of Chinese. Also Chinese simplified can be directly translated to Chinese traditional by just replacing the characters with little amendment. That what the team can do,in order to kill two birds with one stone.

While I must agree personally that the game translation to other languages is not very useful for us, the current players of this game, we must accept the fact that we are also totally unaware of the quantity of people that couldn't/wouldn't play this game because of the language barrier. I won't forget that @SQUAD is a company, and that this move is actually clever in terms of business.

So, the faster this translation is done, the better. Because once it is done, we can hope for all the things we would like to see added/corrected in this game: that list is quite known.

So, if you need a french speaker to check if your use of the language is correct (because i'm pretty sure it won't...), I will gladly vonlunteer. I'm also quite sure that any non English speaking native would do the same for their own language.

Edited by Benoit Hage

36 minutes ago, Me1_base said:

Managers of Chinese KSP Community reproduced the news to Chinese players, I am sure SQUAD can find helpers to cope with the translation problems of Chinese. Also Chinese simplified can be directly translated to Chinese traditional by just replacing the characters with little amendment. That what the team can do,in order to kill two birds with one stone.

Nope many technical translations are significantly different between traditional and simplified Chinese, due to many historical issues. I guess there would be quite a bit of adjustments, instead of only minor fixes.

Edited by Acea

Localisation may bring further customers but that won't necessarily enhance the game. Every new part which is being introduced will have to come with 6 different sets of textures. This is a no go for moders. After all, most of us do not speak 6 different  languages and even those who do may have trouble with the languages Squad selected. So let's face it - if Chinese developers come up with a mod the English speaking community may find it unable to use as it features Chinese in-game descriptions. Next point - tutorials. Wa all are speaking the same language here and even if you are no native speaker you know what CoM CoL apoapsis, retrograde SSTO VTOL etc means. Try telling a French/German/Chinese user how to reach orbit, if his designation of those concepts is completely different from yours...

1 minute ago, something said:

Localisation may bring further customers but that won't necessarily enhance the game. Every new part which is being introduced will have to come with 6 different sets of textures. This is a no go for moders. After all, most of us do not speak 6 different  languages and even those who do may have trouble with the languages Squad selected. So let's face it - if Chinese developers come up with a mod the English speaking community may find it unable to use as it features Chinese in-game descriptions. Next point - tutorials. Wa all are speaking the same language here and even if you are no native speaker you know what CoM CoL apoapsis, retrograde SSTO VTOL etc means. Try telling a French/German/Chinese user how to reach orbit, if his designation of those concepts is completely different from yours...

AMEN! HALLELUJAH! Finally somebody who understands.
You've nailed it.

4 minutes ago, klesh said:

Squad, is this localization effort being done because you're still unable to sell your game on Sony's European Playstation market?

I don't know about that specifically, but it would make sense. Squad is going to do things that can bring in money. That's why we have console ports and localization -- to sell copies to a wider audience of gamers. It's true, everyone's gotta pay the bills, so I'm not against money-making activities. It's when money causes a conflict of interest that corporate greediness becomes an issue. So far Squad has said the console ports haven't taken away from regular game development. Who knows if the localization effort has an impact on the speed of feature development? I don't know...

4 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

because more players = more profits = more investment = more Kerbality.

Fixed that for you. 

While I agree with your general sentiment, there is absolutely nothing that says Squad HAS to keep developing the game if they keep bringing in money. They could very well just sit back and let the profits roll in. 

21 minutes ago, something said:

So let's face it - if Chinese developers come up with a mod the English speaking community may find it unable to use as it features Chinese in-game descriptions.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me? Am I missing something here? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.