A message to my fellow Kopernicus modders.

daniel l.

Hello there. I think some of you know me as the random guy who for 2 years kept talking about building a galaxy mod then never delivering. Now i have delivered. But only partially. You see. I have made a mod/algorithm called To Boldly Go (Link in sig) that generates a procedural galaxy. But while i may be able to get some basic procedural planets, I will never be able to generate ones that are in any way as good as the worlds available in mainstream planet packs (Especially considering i suck at planet making in Kopernicus.). So i have come up with an idea. I will use a few planets or moons from each independent planet pack as "Rare Planets" Worlds with exceptional detail and uniqueness that spawn very rarely in the galaxy and are thus a prized commodity in the game. So for example. 1 in 10 or 15 stars will spawn a rare planet. These ratios will be tweakable eventually. But i need volunteers. Planet makers who are willing to offer a planet or moon or two from their pack. For each world minimal changes will be made in the integration. But a note will be added in the description like this: "This planet was created by *Forum User* and is part of the *Insert Name Here* planet pack*" This will function as a way of advertising. If a TBG (To Boldly Go) player likes a particular rare planet then it would encourage them to download the pack it came from.

All i ask is to use some of your masterpieces to enrich my work while at the same time giving credit where it is due. Especially considering TBG is the only mod of it's kind to be nearly as successful as it has been and may only become more popular given the gradual expansion of the program.

Consider it done. :D

Worlds I can offer for the algorithm:

- Cyran (Planet Cyran)

- Sennim (Planet Cyran)

- Protorin (Planet Cyran)

- Cerillion (Planet Cerillion)

- Kallahan (Total Rebuild)

For Cyran, being a brown dwarf like object, I'll also supply some alternative textures to use so the planet becomes less repetitive.

I'll also code some custom, procedural worlds for TBG if credit is given.

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

- Cyran (Planet Cyran)

- Sennim (Planet Cyran)

For Cyran, being a brown dwarf like object, I'll also supply some alternative textures to use so the planet becomes less repetitive.

Thanks! :D I'll get working as soon as my new Windows 10 install is running properly. (I had to reinstall the damn thing.)

Edited by daniel l.

Stellarator is a tool which will eventually allow for the procedural generation of lots of planets, so there's no need for this. Not to mention that we already have Galactic Neighborhood which is a galaxy mod that allows modded systems to be put into space as other star systems. Essentially what you describe, but with no redistribution of assets and more stability.

3 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

Stellarator is a tool which will eventually allow for the procedural generation of lots of planets, so there's no need for this. Not to mention that we already have Galactic Neighborhood which is a galaxy mod that allows modded systems to be put into space as other star systems. Essentially what you describe, but with no redistribution of assets and more stability.

Not quite the same, as his mod procedurally generates multiple star systems - so you don't know what the galaxy will look like until you get into the game.  (And, combined with some other mods, until you actually *explore* it.)

But his planets aren't as good (in his opinion) as hand-crafted ones, so he's asking for volunteers for planets he can include.  It wouldn't be every planet in one of his galaxies, and you won't know what star or orbit they're in until you find them, but it'll mean there will be some treats for players to be found.

10 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

I know you don't mean to offend. But... Tact?

On 1/15/2017 at 6:28 AM, GregroxMun said:

It seems to me that you haven't actually looked at the mod in your game, just dismissed it off hand. I don't know what this Stellarator thing is but I noticed you said it WILL generate PLANETS. This clearly shows me that you have no idea what exactly TBG does. TBG generates anywhere from 50 to a hundred star systems spread across approximately ten Kerbal light years. Galactic neighborhood was a bit of a disappointment because it only adds a few star systems and they were all well explored. This adds as many as you want and none of the systems have ever been explored before. There are many cool planned features including black holes. But right now it adds a whole actual freaking galaxy. Never dismiss something as "been done before" especially if that thing you claim that did it before doesn't even do it yet. Ironic, eh? And it's nowhere near the scale that this mod does. So why don't you take an actual look at it before you go off and tell the mod maker in front of everyone that his hard work is actually not unique or good when those of us who actually work with the mod can clearly see otherwise. Please reconsider your position and gather all your facts before coming up with an opinion. 

Edited by Mycroft

14 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

I apologize and retract myself from the conversation. I have no excuse for my behavior and I'm sorry to @daniel l.

No worries, my good chap! I was fairly certain that you were as yet unaware of the fuctions of TBG, and now that you know what they are, perhaps you could lend some of your considerable experience and talent. It seems to me that you have rather extensive experience with the various planet packs out there currently, and that usually means that you have knowledge of what is and is not a good feature in a planet pack. That is valuable. Perhaps you could come to the original TBG planet pack thread ([INDEV]-[1.2.1] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.) and maybe help us figure out which planned features are good, too big, or irrelevant or something like that. Im not a dev, just a dedicated KSP player who believes that this mod could very well be the next, best planet pack. I do hope I caused no offense, as my purpose was not to drive you away, it was instead to help you understand that TBG is in fact a unique piece of art with awesome potential. Its like No Man's Sky, except it delivers. And its in KSP. How amazing is that?

On 1/14/2017 at 6:14 AM, The White Guardian said:

- Cyran (Planet Cyran)

- Sennim (Planet Cyran)

Of course. I would greatly appreciate a few custom worlds :) And you would be given a huge amount of credit for them.

On 18.1.2017 at 3:07 AM, daniel l. said:

Quite alright. I fully acknowledge that Stellarator is superior in planet generation. :) But it doesn't make a galaxy :wink:

Well, Stellarator is scriptable. You could use it to generate systems from and for your own app

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.