Doppler Effect

Now that we can aim the camera at/from different objects, we can have a stationary camera with a moving craft, a moving camera with a stationary craft or multiple moving craft.

That's great for making videos except ... we don't have a doppler effect ... which makes the experience even worse than an ambulance in another dimension:

It's already in Unity and it's an easy thing to switch on, Camera Tools is the proof.

I think it would be a major upgrade to KSP's audio experience.

I agree. A long with this, i think sound is one of the most underdeveloped parts of KSP. I hope there is some dedicated sound patch maybe after 1.3.

The rockets all sound the same apart from a couple. The ambient sound is almost nonexistent and there are only a handful of soundtracks that get boring quite quickly. 

Imagine a huge rocket launch with a really thunderous booming rocket noise instead of the same noise played over it self several times over. 

Improving sound will most defiantly improve the overall game and is long overdue. :D

Goddang bill bailey is awesome! I can play that video in my head without clicking on it :)

FWIW though, I can live without doppler. In space sound makes no sense anyway (but I appreciate it for audio feedback and general immersion) so neither does doppler. And our camera viewpoint is "virtual", there isn't a kerbal holding a camera there listening. The way I reconcile sound in space is that Im hearing cockpit sounds wherever my viewpoint is, so moving the virtual viewpoint ought not to have doppler.

For the same reason, we dont need lens-flare: we aren't looking through an actual camera.

I suppose doppler makes a little more sense when in-atmosphere, but if you subscribe to the "virtual viewpoint" it is still not entirely necessary.

But hey-ho, it wouldn't ruin my experience, so Im easy :)

I could go for a model that has doppler when in-atmosphere, but in space the audio loses doppler but gains a "muffled" layer (not a great drop in volume, mind).

That would improve immersion for me.

Edited by p1t1o

1 hour ago, Gaarst said:

I don't care about Doppler effect in particular but we are indeed in dire need of proper sound design in KSP.

This, and a toggle to switch off sound in space, to get that Interstellar feeling :)

True, in space it's not very interesting to have. But imagine all those bored people who've had enough of the whole space thing ... how can Squad keep those people interested? By showing them what else is possible. And maybe that could attract new buyers who weren't interested in the whole space thing in the first place. They play with ... for example cars & racing. After a while they try the space thing and might get hooked. Full circle!

Example I made more than a year ago:

• 4 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.