[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

8 minutes ago, mr. engino said:

did a fresh install of the game, and only installed bdac; the guns still don't fire. do I need the weapon manager or something?

Yes, a weapons manager is required in order for your weapons to work

Consult the in game BDPedia (KSPedia) for detailed information concerning the operation of BDAc 

25 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Yes, a weapons manager is required in order for your weapons to work

Consult the in game BDPedia (KSPedia) for detailed information concerning the operation of BDAc 

well that explains everything :blush:

Has anyone been successful in making a missile that operates in orbit? I've been trying all day to get a working one built, but I haven't had any luck firing from ship to ship in orbit.

2 minutes ago, Im_M said:

Has anyone been successful in making a missile that operates in orbit? I've been trying all day to get a working one built, but I haven't had any luck firing from ship to ship in orbit.

I did try once using Modular Missile but the guidance was not very accurate. I was not very surprised because I know that BDArmory was designed mainly for sub-orbital scenarios 

1 hour ago, Im_M said:

The HEKV(?) used to be said missile. But it's been broken for ages... I'd bet the TOW missile might work because it seems like it functions almost the same way. (Just maybe a bit more manual)

Don't take my word for it tho. I have no idea if it'd work in vac

Edited by stickman939

Is there a way of shutting off the heat-damage aspect of the explosives?

I understand that parts are heated by the weapons to destroy them, but I want a craft to get scattered all over the place from an explosion. With enough force, connections can be broken/nullified. Just wondering, since the old Lazor mods and missiles did something similar, but has been broken for a long time.

4 minutes ago, Core said:

I understand that parts are heated by the weapons to destroy them

There is a kinetic element present in the shell impact it's not only heating.

4 minutes ago, Core said:

but I want a craft to get scattered all over the place from an explosion

I'm currently looking at the results of a mod test scenario  and there are over 200 bits of debris scattered in a 10km radius of KSC  So plenty of stuff has been displaced due to explosive force and kinetic impact , ranging from tank turrets to tail fins and everything in between,   More parts in a ship = more debris,  but i hate the clearing up, so the fewer parts left the better if you ask me.

7 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

I'm currently looking at the results of a mod test scenario  and there are over 200 bits of debris scattered in a 10km radius of KSC  So plenty of stuff has been displaced due to explosive force and kinetic impact , ranging from tank turrets to tail fins and everything in between,   More parts in a ship = more debris,  but i hate the clearing up, so the fewer parts left the better if you ask me.

True.

Cleaning all those parts is a pain.

For quick and easy cleanup, I've decided on trying to use the North Kerbin Dynamics mod. But according to field tests, the Tsar Bomba is not quite that effective in blast radius or part destruction. 

On 4/26/2017 at 9:51 PM, Core said:

Cleaning all those parts is a pain

On 4/26/2017 at 1:29 PM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

More parts in a ship = more debris,  but i hate the clearing up, so the fewer parts left the better if you ask me.

Hyperedit has saved me a bunch of pain when cleaning up things like tanks lol

I am experiencing something that has happened to me since the old versions of bda. 

When I toggle freefall bombs from my weapons manager, after turinng on master arm of course (but selecting no weapon module) a green circle appears to show where they are going to hit. So far so good. The problem is, it only appears when I am under 200 meters of hight. If I climb above that, the aiming circle disapears. 

So I am wondering: am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug/issue? It would be nice to drop bombs from a high altitude (meaning, above 200 meters!) without guesswork. 

EDIT: i read elsewhere, in a post by someone having the same issue, that the answer was to toggle the "inside bombay" option for the ordnance, but that doesn't do it for me. 

Edited by Daniel Prates

TOW missile won't work in orbit since targeting ball doesn't. It references Earth-fixed coordinate system and low update frequency causes it to point retrograde if I attempt to lock onto ship. Can this be fixed?
Also, fixes for HEKV would be nice. ANd general space combat. At least some simple stuff... It's 100% broken now. Even guns cant hit targets since they don't lead them enough.
Just a space weapons mod developer's rant. :) 

2 hours ago, Lilttlekerbal99 said:

Hello and my issue is that the Sidewinders won't lock, everything is normal except the AIM-9

Thats the key word right there.

The AIM-9 wasn't a radar guided missle, it was a heatseeker. It doesn't need radar, it just tracks the heat from engines, and then just tries to hit the engines.

So the reason the sidewinders won't "lock" is:

1. You aren't using them properly
  2. Your target has it's engines on idle, so the missle can't really find the heat

15 hours ago, sashan said:

TOW missile won't work in orbit

Also, fixes for HEKV

. At least some simple stuff

Hi the focus of BDA has always been terrestrial combat,  there is no code present in BDAc to deal with orbital target acquisition  

Tow missile relies on aerodynamic control in order to fly the beam, there is no vector control as such , regardless of how it appears, no air in space = no aero control

The HEKV  was an aberration abandoned by BAHA  and has been broken  since pre 1.05 and IMO should be removed from the mod,  Removing it would  make it clear that  BDA is not for space . Anyone still having the missile on a craft is still trapped in 2015

This simple stuff would involve completely re writing the BDA mods target acquisition  ( several thousand lines of code btw) to include mechjeb levels of calculation for missile  and shell interception, the problems being gravity, shells/ missile are affected by gravity when fired in orbit  and the speed of the target , which is orders of magnitude higher than the mod can currently  cope with.    I doubt if BDAc, unless something  major changes in the make up of the current team,. will ever be capable of space combat.

To make space combat truly viable a code base would need to be developed specifically for that purpose and as such it was long ago agreed by most involved, that a whole new mod would be required.  Though thinking on a little I could see an expansion working, using the BDA turret missile control  etc but hooking in the orbital fire system as certain other mods do for the explosions etc. IF you have the skill set why not have a go yourself

Not speaking for the team of course just my own  irrelevant opinions, which are well known to the team already

4 minutes ago, Murican_Jeb said:

The AIM-9 wasn't a radar guided missle, it was a heatseeker. It doesn't need radar, it just tracks the heat from engines, and then just tries to hit the engines.

2. Your target has it's engines on idle, so the missle can't really find the heat

The target was on full power and I am aiming it inside the circle, after series of attempts, it won't work and it doesn't produces a humming noise

19 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi the focus of BDA has always been terrestrial combat,  there is no code present in BDAc to deal with orbital target acquisition  

Tow missile relies on aerodynamic control in order to fly the beam, there is no vector control as such , regardless of how it appears, no air in space = no aero control

The HEKV  was an aberration abandoned by BAHA  and has been broken  since pre 1.05 and IMO should be removed from the mod,  Removing it would  make it clear that  BDA is not for space . Anyone still having the missile on a craft is still trapped in 2015

This simple stuff would involve completely re writing the BDA mods target acquisition  ( several thousand lines of code btw) to include mechjeb levels of calculation for missile  and shell interception, the problems being gravity, shells/ missile are affected by gravity when fired in orbit  and the speed of the target , which is orders of magnitude higher than the mod can currently  cope with.    I doubt if BDAc, unless something  major changes in the make up of the current team,. will ever be capable of space combat.

To make space combat truly viable a code base would need to be developed specifically for that purpose and as such it was long ago agreed by most involved, that a whole new mod would be required.  Though thinking on a little I could see an expansion working, using the BDA turret missile control  etc but hooking in the orbital fire system as certain other mods do for the explosions etc. IF you have the skill set why not have a go yourself

Not speaking for the team of course just my own  irrelevant opinions, which are well known to the team already

I totally agree with you @SpannerMonkey(smce) . It will require a massive effort to have a BDArmory capable for Space fights.

And I can't imagine my self investing time on it unless someone is willing to pay me monthly wages so I can resign my current full-time job :D

After me and @jrodriguez talked for awhile, I think it's time I should show my new FX for Destruction FX and see if you guys will accept it :)

imageimage

Edited by Murican_Jeb
Screenshots bruh

Hi all, so regarding space missiles. I've been trying to do something useful using Modular Missiles and it seems like solution to me :). I'm using also TCA that helps a lot for these scenarios.

The fist missile fails to reach the target - I need to improve the designs I think, but the second that was pointing towards the target worked  better than I expected :)

Edited by jrodriguez

1 hour ago, Murican_Jeb said:

new FX for Destruction FX and see if you guys will accept it

what does it look like on vehicles/ships?

and any chance of a fix for issue 6, which prevent the use of DFX on any SM Missile system and thereby anything else.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

20 hours ago, Murican_Jeb said:

I just found out that the other heat seeking missiles wont work and doesn't produce a humming noise

2 hours ago, Lilttlekerbal99 said:

I just found out that the other heat seeking missiles wont work and doesn't produce a humming noise

What you have failed to mention here is that you are using KSP 1.02 and the BDA for 1.05. 

AS mentioned in the problems thread supporting such old versions is not possible as the code base has changed dramatically since that version in both BDA and KSP. As suggested there create an updated install and use the latest BDA for best performance and most importantly full rather than NO support.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

I'm using BDAc v0.2.1.0 on KSP 1.2.0, and the Radar Warning Receiver has no graphical display. The noises still occur. Is it due to to the version of BDAc? If so, what version would I have to install? I really dont want to go below 0.2.0.0, due to the aiming recticle appearing directly under aircraft issue.