[1.4.x] BDArmory Continued v1.2.2.2 [8/8/2018] + Vessel Mover, Camera Tools, BDMk22, Destruction Effects, Burn Together

DoctorDavinci

8 minutes ago, ThiccRocketScientist said:

Sorry if someone has already asked/answered this, but very time something is destroyed all my weapons turn off. A setting bug or something, or way to stop this?

Thanks, 

Fritz

If you are using the weapons manually the behavior you describe is perfectly normal and  has been part of BDA since the very beginning. There are currently no window or cfg settings that can change this behavior .

However all is not lost, if you hate the feature enough to care.  pop along to the BDAc issue page and make an enhancement request, I know your dislike of that little feature is not heard in isolation many others have expressed similar sentiments, So perhaps  with luck one of the coding genius types will take pity on your plea. 

Cheers

10 minutes ago, memeconnoiseur said:

I've retested it:

aRePMkK.png

It still flips out after dropping flies randomly

controls better but still unusable

Maybe you are using it properly? I have done my testing doing the following:

1.Apply the changes suggested. 

2. Drag and Drop the missile as a SubAssembly. 

3. Open on the editor my testing jet fighter. 

4. Drag and drop in the SubAssembly missile.

5. Attach the missile to a decoupler. 

6. Launch craft.

7. Use VesselMover to spawn an enemy vessel. 

8. Start engine on your jet fighter, guard mode and AI autopilot. (Ensure Targeting pod start to track your enemy vessel) 

9. After few seconds you will see your plane turning, locking, firing and destroying the enemy with your new missile. 

3 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

Maybe you are using it properly? I have done my testing doing the following:

1.Apply the changes suggested. 

2. Drag and Drop the missile as a SubAssembly. 

3. Open on the editor my testing jet fighter. 

4. Drag and drop in the SubAssembly missile.

5. Attach the missile to a decoupler. 

6. Launch craft.

7. Use VesselMover to spawn an enemy vessel. 

8. Start engine on your jet fighter, guard mode and AI autopilot. (Ensure Targeting pod start to track your enemy vessel) 

9. After few seconds you will see your plane turning, locking, firing and destroying the enemy with your new missile. 

A. I have implemented the changes

B. I always attach the missile to a decoupler

C. I have not tested the missile using guard mode on AI autopilot

P.S. Testing jet fighter?

19 minutes ago, memeconnoiseur said:

A. I have implemented the changes

B. I always attach the missile to a decoupler

C. I have not tested the missile using guard mode on AI autopilot

P.S. Testing jet fighter?

In my case I used a jet plane to test your missile (I like your design btw!). You need the targeting pod for laser guidance. If you are not using guard mode you need to ensure that the target is properly locked before firing the missile, otherwise the missile will fly straight or looping..

Edited by jrodriguez

3 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

In my case I used a jet plane to test your missile (I like your design btw!). You need the targeting pod for laser guidance. If you are not using guard mode you need to ensure that the target is properly locked before firing the missile, otherwise the missile will fly without any direction.

Thanks

Also, I always make sure the target is locked but I use the FLIR targeting ball instead of the targeting pod

Could that be an issue?

Just now, memeconnoiseur said:

Thanks

Also, I always make sure the target is locked but I use the FLIR targeting ball instead of the targeting pod

Could that be an issue?

Not sure, but  you can find more information on the KSPedia  @DoctorDavinci did a great job doing it. Maybe @SpannerMonkey(smce) can give you a quick answer about it.

2 hours ago, memeconnoiseur said:

Could that be an issue?

HI in the case of the two parts mentioned there is no difference in performance between the  parts, so i doubt very much if that's the cause

It's worth mentioning  that recent testing is starting to highlight some issues with the Lase/IR targeting,   Investigations of the causes are  ongoing.

Users of BDA are more than welcome to assist ,  and we'd be delighted to hear from anyone who has discerned  a foolproof,  reproducible way to trigger the IR/Laser targeting troubles, preferably with a pure stock and BDA game environment, and fairly obvious but worth mentioning  with craft built only from stock and BDA parts.

Cheers

Hey @jrodriguez would the modular missile system work for VLS type missiles too? Or, say, a p-270 Moskit launched from a ship with an angle of 20 degrees, from inside a launcher tube.

Edited by XOC2008

@XOC2008I think it should work. 

- You will need an increased boresight angle ( go for 360)

- A tube wide enough to fit all the parts of the modular missile. 

- A powerful stack decoupler.  

I suggest a Drop time > 1seconds, with the initial velocity after Jettison that will make the missile fly out of the tube and then first stage ignition will make the missile turn towards the locked target. 

Edited by jrodriguez

43 minutes ago, jrodriguez said:

@XOC2008I think it should work. 

- You will need an increased boresight angle ( go for 360)

- A tube wide enough to fit all the parts of the modular missile. 

- A powerful stack decoupler.  

I suggest a Drop time > 1seconds, with the initial velocity after Jettison that will make the missile fly out of the tube and then first stage ignition will make the missile turn towards the locked target. 

I'm building now so we're about to find out. I have a short SRB booster section that should drop after fuel is depleted.. and then a quad ramjet setup like the real Moskit, which should fire after separation. I will keep you posted.

Edit: @jrodriguez So it's going to take some refinement. It doesn't like firing diagonally, or out of a tube(but I can't find a good tube to use). It does fire vertically, but then plunges into the water/ground after a bit. First stage separation worked okay. Second stage with the ramjets worked fine, it just steered into the ground. But this is also a big heavy missile so it's going to take some work I'm sure.

Edited by XOC2008

1 hour ago, XOC2008 said:

I'm building now so we're about to find out. I have a short SRB booster section that should drop after fuel is depleted.. and then a quad ramjet setup like the real Moskit, which should fire after separation. I will keep you posted.

Edit: @jrodriguez So it's going to take some refinement. It doesn't like firing diagonally, or out of a tube(but I can't find a good tube to use). It does fire vertically, but then plunges into the water/ground after a bit. First stage separation worked okay. Second stage with the ramjets worked fine, it just steered into the ground. But this is also a big heavy missile so it's going to take some work I'm sure.

I will try to do my own version, it will be fun :)

Just now, jrodriguez said:

I will try to do my own version, it will be fun :)

Want my subassembly and you can see which one you can get to work best? (I had to reduce drop time to zero because it was falling into the deck and getting stuck)

43 minutes ago, XOC2008 said:

Want my subassembly and you can see which one you can get to work best? (I had to reduce drop time to zero because it was falling into the deck and getting stuck)

Yes, you can send me the craft file with your design  :) I will try to  make it work.

1 hour ago, XOC2008 said:

I have been testing it and I think I know the main problem. There is a limitation/issue when building a multistage missile with stacked stages. 

When the first stage is decoupled the second stage is not guided but the first stage is. This is due the way the missiles are attached. 

However, there is a workaround. You need to attach radial SRBs, a couple of them for example. 

Then I suggest to increase the size of the ram jets to have at least > 1 TWR.

The SRB kick should give you at least something close to match 1.

I suggest using AGM if the terminal maneuver of the cruise guidance gets you annoyed. 

6 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

@memeconnoiseur

I just recorded this video playing with your missile.

I haven't tried it with guard mode yet and the craft I used to launch the missile could only go to about 160m/s so...

also, I see you're using BDA 2.1.2, whereas I'm using BDA 2.1.0 because I'm playing in KSP 1.2.2

Edited by memeconnoiseur

1 minute ago, ThiccRocketScientist said:

Anyway around the terrain unloading? (Destruction vehicles, fall through ground etc.)

Or is this just something hard coded? Also, will they fall through say the VAB or a Kerbal Konstructs base?

Thanks,

Fritz

Yeah, It also annoys me when you get around 12km away from your target and they just explode

2 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

I have been testing it and I think I know the main problem. There is a limitation/issue when building a multistage missile with stacked stages. 

When the first stage is decoupled the second stage is not guided but the first stage is. This is due the way the missiles are attached. 

However, there is a workaround. You need to attach radial SRBs, a couple of them for example. 

Then I suggest to increase the size of the ram jets to have at least > 1 TWR.

The SRB kick should give you at least something close to match 1.

I suggest using AGM if the terminal maneuver of the cruise guidance gets you annoyed. 

Radial srbs as stage 1?

6 hours ago, ThiccRocketScientist said:

Anyway around the terrain unloading? (Destruction vehicles, fall through ground etc.)

Or is this just something hard coded? Also, will they fall through say the VAB or a Kerbal Konstructs base?

Thanks,

Fritz

6 hours ago, memeconnoiseur said:

Yeah, It also annoys me when you get around 12km away from your target and they just explode

Hi guys, although this a PhysicsRangeExtender(PRE)  topic I will explain in here (I suggest reading the OP of PRE). 

From 1.3 version of PRE. A GUI is available to change and save the ranges for landed vessels, the default value is 10 km so by default your vessel should not collide. 

You can change it to less than 10 km in case you are experiencing problems. 

And of course you can set the value to 100 km but in order to avoid the terrain unloading, you will need to place your vessels on static objects (runways, buildings,  Kerbal Konstructs with loading distance = range) 

Edited by jrodriguez

2 hours ago, jrodriguez said:

Hi guys, although this a PhysicsRangeExtender(PRE)  topic I will explain in here (I suggest reading the OP of PRE). 

From 1.3 version of PRE. A GUI is available to change and save the ranges for landed vessels, the default value is 10 km so by default your vessel should not collide. 

You can change it to less than 10 km in case you are experiencing problems. 

And of course you can set the value to 100 km but in order to avoid the terrain unloading, you will need to place your vessels on static objects (runways, buildings,  Kerbal Konstructs with loading distance = range) 

what'd is the keybind for opening the UI?