[1.3.1] LonesomeRobots Aerospace: Dyna-Soar & SIV Space Station

silentvelcro

No idea, honestly. I've noticed the station starts to cool down slowly when I turn its radiator side away from the sun and heats up when the radiator faces the sun, but honestly, I have no idea what may be causing it.

Hello everyone. The mod has been updated! You can now choose between a fuel tank, a cargo bay or a passenger cabin for the Dyna-Soar.
The SIV Space Station has been completely remodeled and retextured. Also added deployable solar panels and station lights. See screenshots at the top.

Also added configs for RealPlume and Engine Lighting.

Important! You should completely delete all LonesomeRobots mods and re-install all the latest versions from scratch. (Gusmobile has been updated too.)
Also don't forget that the GameData/LonesomeRobots folder must be merged and not replace the existing LonesomeRobots folder as you install the mods one by one.
This way all the IVA's will work correctly and reference the same and correct props for all the mods, reducing clutter and conflicts. You can read the reason for this below.

ASET Props and FlightSystemsRedux are no longer bundled with the release. Only the relevant props from these 2 mods are moved inside the "props" folder of the HOYO mod.
I had to do this since ASET Props have been updated, but for some reason the game crashes instantly when i try to use them. I contacted alexustas and he tried to sort it but
it is kind of a freak case that applies to some OSX installations and he cannot help.
So in order to keep the IVA fully working for people that have updated to the new ASET Props i moved all the relevant files inside the mod file structure. This way the IVA will work
whatever version of ASET Props you have and even if you don't have it at all. I also have to state that i do not claim i made any of the props used in this mod. Credit goes solely to alexustas and MOARdV.

Enjoy!

Edited by silentvelcro

I think I've managed to find out what the problem with the overheating station is. I may be totally wrong, of course, but it seems there isn't a bug. It's all about thernal conductivity.

I did a series of launch tests, all of them mechjeb-controlled, to a 100/100 orbit, trajectory 55 degrees. Here's what they showed:

1. Launched the station as provided in the pack, plus thermometer on the station part. Station started heating up at above 370 m/s, the temperature increased from ~300K on Kerbin to ~400K at 70km. Fairing jetissoned at 70 km, the temperature kept going up to ~440K, then the station cooled down.
2. Launch with a stock fairing and a decoupler between the crew module and the SIV tank. Temperature stable all the way.
3. Launch with the fairing from the pack and a decoupler between the crew module and the SIV tank. Tank not jetissoned. Heated up to ~370K before starting to cool down.
4. Launch with the fairing from the pack and a decoupler between the crew module and the SIV tank. Tank jetissoned. Heated up to ~350K before jetisson at 100km, started to cool down immediately after.

So here's the picture as I see it. The fairing parts get hot at supersonic speeds while in atmosphere and heat up their root part, which is the crew module. The tank does the same, to the crew module again. An appropriately thermal resistant part can decrease the heat from the tank and the fairings. Perhaps it would be wise to make the fairing attachment ring such a separate part?

Edited by TK-313

That's a possibility, too, I'll make some tests with a radiator to see how it works out :) But the heat from the sun proved to be not an issue, so I was thinking more along the lines of how to prevent the overheating during ascent in the first place. That's where I believe a separate fairing base may help.

Edited by TK-313

More tests!

1. Launch with provided fairings and a stock fairing base between the tank and the crew module. Heat goes as high as 425K before starting to cool down. Isn't that tank a big offender.
2. Launch as provided in the pack with a stock large radiator. The crew module heats up to ~380K before starting to cool down. The cooling is not linear, as in all of the above examples, the part's temperature oscillates within 1-2 degrees. So does the radiator, within 1500-1600K range most of the way. Weird cooling algorhythms. Anyway, the station cools down much faster than without a radiator. The temperature then plummets to 230K and below, even with the radiator turned off. For comparison, without a radiator the temperature settles at ~280K.
3. Launch with a stock large radiator and a stock fairing base between the tank and the crew module. Top station temperature around 365K, radiator temperature in the 1400-1500's. One thing to note is that during ascent the station's temperature is stable at no more than 325K, but goes up quickly after fairing jetisson.

So yeah, a separate fairing base is needed if your kerbonauts don't want to wait a few days while the station cools down from "good to roast turkey in" to "around room temperature". Not sure what's to be done with the radiator freezing the station. Perhaps it should be just the fairing base?

Edited by TK-313

• 2 weeks later...

Would you provide patches to include FARControllableSurface into the following parts?

• LonesomeRobots/DynaSoar/ElevonL/DynaElevonL
  • LonesomeRobots/DynaSoar/ElevonR/DynaElevonR
  • LonesomeRobots/DynaSoar/WingLeft/DynaWingL
  • LonesomeRobots/DynaSoar/WingRight/DynaWingR

I would much appreciate that.

Reason:

Edited by Gordon Dry

3 hours ago, silentvelcro said:

@Gordon Dry is there a FAR release for 1.3.0? Haven't used FAR in a while. Last time i used the Dynasoar with FAR was with KSP 1.1.3 and it worked ok without any configs. But i will look into that.

No. The last public release was for 1.2.2. For testing there is a 1.3 version posted on @ferram4's Github but I won't specify where (per Ferram's wishes)

• 1 month later...
Texture load error in 'D:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\LonesomeRobots\Props\LR\MFDS\screen-emissive.dds'

Texture load error in 'D:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\LonesomeRobots\Props\LR\MFDS\screen.dds'

Just found.

I'm forcing DX11.

Edited by Gordon Dry

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.