[1.8.x] Kerbal Foundries -- Continued - Tracks, Wheels, and Gear

Shadowmage

Hi @Shadowmage First of Thank you for all your amazing mods....I have been enjoying KF A LOT... now i have a question/problem...When im about to launch a craft with ALG and i want to turn off the tire dust and the all the other option, i hit esc and settings and i go into KSP Wheel setting and turn them off and i go back and keep on going. Now heres the interesting part, when i go back to the hangar and relaunch the craft all the setting turn themselves back ON. Basically i have to turn them off every time. Its not a big deal , but i was just wondering if anyone else has gotten this and if theres a fix for it?  Thanks :) 

54 minutes ago, mechanicH said:

Hi Shadowmage First of Thank you for all your amazing mods....I have been enjoying KF A LOT... now i have a question/problem...When im about to launch a craft with ALG and i want to turn off the tire dust and the all the other option, i hit esc and settings and i go into KSP Wheel setting and turn them off and i go back and keep on going. Now heres the interesting part, when i go back to the hangar and relaunch the craft all the setting turn themselves back ON. Basically i have to turn them off every time. Its not a big deal , but i was just wondering if anyone else has gotten this and if theres a fix for it?  Thanks :) 

Difficulty settings changes made in-flight appear to be reverted when you revert. Fix: Don't revert. Go through the space center scene at some point after you make the change, and it should put it in the persistence file.

Hey, amazing mod, btw, congrats on bringing KF back to 1.2, but just a sliiiiight problem I've been having with the bundled pack, for some odd reason my tracks don't work when I load my vehicle in world. It'll show the animation in the hangar, but when I try to actually use the tracks, nothing happens.

7 hours ago, yips said:

Hey, amazing mod, btw, congrats on bringing KF back to 1.2, but just a sliiiiight problem I've been having with the bundled pack, for some odd reason my tracks don't work when I load my vehicle in world. It'll show the animation in the hangar, but when I try to actually use the tracks, nothing happens.

As you have not provided logs, all I can do is -guess- at what is going on.

And since nobody else is reporting similar problems, I'm going to -guess- that it is not installed correctly...

14 hours ago, Shadowmage said:

As you have not provided logs, all I can do is -guess- at what is going on.

And since nobody else is reporting similar problems, I'm going to -guess- that it is not installed correctly...

Alright so after a little bit of experimentation, I've found out that the tracks (At least for me) don't like to be directly attached to the cubic octagonal strut. They just won't work. I've tried attaching them to a few different parts, and they worked just fine. I even attached a plate to a cubic octagonal strut, then attached the tracks to the plate, and they worked fine...Does this happen to anyone else or just me?

So, are you completely reworking this mod from the ground up? New code and everything? Or are you updating and revising the code?

Also, a suggestion; remove the wheel effects from the ADJ Landing Gear (if possible), and perhaps beef them up a bit. I've noticed they break pretty easily if you're not extra careful on takeoff... I will add that the wheels already say they are around 2% stressed before beginning take off. (I used this craft with ADJL)

Well, I've been playing with this a bit and it's much like the good old KF (maybe even better!). It's really nice that you also fixed and included ALG, you're awesome. Thanks for everything you do!

Edited by Krux
Typo -_-

8 hours ago, yips said:

Alright so after a little bit of experimentation, I've found out that the tracks (At least for me) don't like to be directly attached to the cubic octagonal strut. They just won't work. I've tried attaching them to a few different parts, and they worked just fine. I even attached a plate to a cubic octagonal strut, then attached the tracks to the plate, and they worked fine...Does this happen to anyone else or just me?

That probably stems from the fact that cube struts are Physicssignificance = 1, i.e. physicsless. Since KSPWheel applies force via it's parent part, this leads to confusion.

Meanwhile I am working on making an LCAC, the United Kerbin tanks you. :D

Ocm2eiy.png

uUXFJT6.png

On 1/30/2017 at 7:03 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, simply yes, use the basic TR2l  type set up, with empty transforms instead or meshes Or if you fancy it a similar rig  to the LoFi repulsors , I can supply unity hierarchy images of working parts for guidance.  Some annoying things happen when animating wheel colliders in the unity player (as the collider is only parented to the base mesh the collider drops off when  rotated by animation, this doesn't reflect what happens in game)   and it can take a little bit of trial and error to get the retraction etc right in game

That would be very helpful. I hope to have an LCAC to release with the Wasp class LHD.

10 hours ago, yips said:

Thanks for taking the time to investigate.

Yes, the wheels not working when attached to physicsless parts is a known issue ( https://github.com/shadowmage45/KSPWheel/issues/8 ).

Currently investigating, but its a bit more of a....complex problem... than it would seem at first.  Am hoping to be able to have it fixed for the next release, but no guarantees...

8 hours ago, stickman939 said:

So, are you completely reworking this mod from the ground up? New code and everything? Or are you updating and revising the code?

Also, a suggestion; remove the wheel effects from the ADJ Landing Gear (if possible), and perhaps beef them up a bit. I've noticed they break pretty easily if you're not extra careful on takeoff... I will add that the wheels already say they are around 2% stressed before beginning take off. (I used this craft with ADJL)

I'm not sure I understand the question?  What timeframe are you asking about?

Compared to the old KSP 1.05 releases of KF, the current releases run -entirely- new code.  The only thing that made it over from the old versions of KF was the models.

Wheel stress -- yeah, they should say they are stressed whenever under load.  you only need to worry if that stress bar hits 100% -- that means they are overloaded.  (you -cannot- have a wheel with zero stress on it; as soon as it supports any load the stress will be >0, as it is based on the percentage of the currently supported load vs. the max load).  If the steady state 'stress' is > 50%, you may need to be gentle on the wheels as they are already supporting a large portion of their maximum load.

I've never had wheels break on takeoff unless I was doing something terribly wrong, or the craft was poorly designed and the wheels were overloaded to begin with.  Aim for <20% steady state 'stress' on the wheels and you should not have problems (hint:  Scaling them up increases the max load, which decreases the 'stress' for a given loading).

6 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

Wow! Nice work! That was very entertaining. Of course mine will be a low parts solution, but yours is very nice.

Please link me in when you post yours. I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up with.

I'm very interested to see if there are any physics-problems with craft designs such as those (vehicle carriers/etc) -- I haven't had the time to build out anything complex for testing.

If you guys do run into any problems with craft-on-craft physics please let me know and I'll do what I can to get it sorted out :)

1 minute ago, Shadowmage said:

I'm very interested to see if there are any physics-problems with craft designs such as those (vehicle carriers/etc) -- I haven't had the time to build out anything complex for testing.

If you guys do run into any problems with craft-on-craft physics please let me know and I'll do what I can to get it sorted out :)

I've been testing the gear on my CVX carrier mod, I'll let you know what i find. I did, however, have to strengthen the gear for rougher landings by increasing the breaking force and stress capabilities. I did notice when flipping the gear for mirrored attachment, one wheel tuns backward versus forward motion.

Edited by Eskandare

29 minutes ago, V8jester said:

I can say the same as @Eskandare I am breaking my gear quite often. May need to bump the stress tolerances. (I haven't tried changing anything yet)

Thanks @Shadowmage And I will report any interesting findings as I start building things like this again in 1.2.2

@Shadowmage I have discovered that no player should ever try to use the ALG with the Aircraft Carrier Accessories mod. The Catapult and ALG are incompatible resulting in total distruction of an F/A-18c and the carrier.

2 hours ago, Eskandare said:

@Shadowmage I have discovered that no player should ever try to use the ALG with the Aircraft Carrier Accessories mod. The Catapult and ALG are incompatible resulting in total distruction of an F/A-18c and the carrier.

Damn, and I was working toward using those together maybe some remedy can be found?

Edited by Svm420

5 hours ago, V8jester said:

Please link me in when you post yours. I'd be very interested in seeing what you come up with.

Well currently I'm modeling the 'wheel' assemblies. They look like vents and I'm thinking of having them somewhat be engines with a 1 thrust to generate the ground effect caused by engines. The animation will be controlled by the engines, extend while on but not be linked to throttle position. The skirt is being animated in blender so it is properly limp when deflated. The rear fans will be gimbled at the the rudders and the forward jets will come in two versions, gimbled, and non gimbled for infernal robotics. I plan to have the LCAC work with my up coming Wasp class. Also an amphibious LAV is in the works.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.