Mission Logs

Axilourous

Jan,15,17 Success

So today I docked my first to vessels together in orbit around Mun. It was going to have 2 spacecraft and a telescope off of one end(2 hollow tubes with lights in them)

I ditched the telescope because I realized I put it on in a weird way. Before this docking I have never gotten within 1km of another vessel in space. anyway, I have some pictures! The pictures include some pictures of the space station, Mun, Star backround, space, and the telescope. xP

http://imgur.com/gallery/ELGLs

Mission 2: Land Rocket on ground to collect ore, orbit, dock with MSS(Mun Space Station) Failure

I got in an orbit around Mun and thought that I was gonna land on Mun and turn the ore into some fuel, I landed, got some ore, and realized that I did not pack the ConvertoTron 125 to convert ore into fuel to get into orbit again.

Jan, 16,17 5:50pm - 8:36pm

Mission 3: Rescue MSS-3 Partial Failure

Launched MSS-4 rescue vehicle, this time with a ConvertoTron. I docked with the MSS and I refueled my Monopropellent and Fuel. Waited for the right time to undock. I have never landed close to another landed vessel before, so I might fail. Crashed. Try 2: Reloaded last quicksave, turns out I need to dock again. I'm gonna skip that because my fuel is full, I wanted to dock earlier because my monoprop was running out from trying to dock, lol. Successfully landed, fell onto side because I had no landing gear. Low on fuel so I rolled out of the crater, and used my engine to drag me across the ground to MSS-3 Lander. few monoprop thrusters exploded, kept going, wondering why I need wheels, monoprop thruster explodes, command pod hit ground and explodes. Revert! back in crater, gonna roll out of crater  and gently glide above surface. Revert fails, I load in the ground and explode. with the little fuel the Ore Driller has left I'm gonna try to orbit Mun again. Only 8 LFO left, not gonna work but I will try anyway. Decided best way was to hyper edit the rescue vehicle to a higher elevation and fly back to MSS-3 Lander. Gave a new quicksave point above the Lander so that I wont have to hyper edit to a coordination every time. Close to landing 200m away from lander, quicksaved just in case. Landed! I did not learn my lesson from earlier and fell on my side to launch the rocket slowly on the ground towards lander. I just remembered that I had monoprop left(full tank because I didn't waste on docking) so I used it hover over ground and push my self a few meters above surface. Success! I tried to push the rescue vehicle, but it didn't work. Since both vehicles where on their side I decided to roll them around to dock them. Another Success! It flung into the air and I immediately activated the engine, it went up(obviously), now trying to get into orbit and get a rendezvous ready to go. Low on fuel, but I have ore and electricity and so I start up the ContertoTron and get fuel! Ran out of ore but still have fuel, got into orbit and am trying to get a rendezvous set up. Got rendezvous set up and tried to dock, Lander was now dead weight with no monoprop thrusters. Undocked them proceeded to try docking the rescue vehicle with the MSS. Almost out of fuel, docked and refueling. Gonna add to the MSS, but don't know what besides the four things below. Anyway, Overall Mission is a partial failure, I did get it to orbit. I will have to send a different kind of rescue vehicle with multiple docking ports.

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/MkmNG

Jan 21, 17

Mission 4: The Kerbin Space Station, Docking Hub "Red" and Power Grid "Blue" Success

was gonna dock, and when I got close the entire thing exploded...  mission end I guess... or is it(its not, I'm gonna build a new one in orbit around Kerbin.)

I got the "Red" Docking Hub into an 85km orbit and then got a "Blue" Power Grid into a 125km orbit, I placed a few maneuvers and got a rendezvous set up, I did the maneuvers and it took me a few times of catching up to KSS "Red" I finally got there and some solar panels where in the way, so I extended them and they turned to not be in the way. I docked to the KSS "Red" and turned the lights on("Red" had red lights, "Blue" had blue lights). This station is in orbit around Kerbin btw (Kerbin Space Station) next I will add the "Green" Module with some stuff for help with making my next mission, I will add some stuff for making a ship in orbit, and I will add kerbals with life support. oh and I am in sandbox mode so I'm not adding science, well maybe a telescope but that's all. So next will be adding Launchpad "Green", Hexcans "Yellow", and Construction Workshop " Orange"

Mission 5-7: The KSS "Green", "Yellow", and "Orange" Success

First up will be the "Yellow" Modules and then "Orange" module, and then lastly the "Green" Launchpad on the end of the station. I got "Yellow" into a 225km orbit and am waiting for a time to do a rendezvous maneuver. multiple quick saves, and quick loads to get the rendezvous, I got close to the KSS and started getting closer I was 7.2 km away and getting closer by 45m/s. I am now 3.4 km away, slowly going towards it. I start slowing down. at 2.5km at 2.2 km I see the red dot of the space station at 1.5 km I see multiply dots of red. at 500m I am at 5m/s I slowly wait for it to come closer. The "Yellow" module is a 3.75m unmanned mission at the top is some adapters and a small docking port. It will be hard docking this. full of 23800 RocketParts with 2 7xHuge rocket parts hexcans. I'm at 300m now, 100m, 50m I found the port I wanted to dock at and set that as a target, slowly brought the massive ship to it(around 3x the size of the station) and it took a while for it to want to dock. Docked! Next is "Orange" The new name is Kerbin Space Station and Construction Base, or KSSACB for short. The "Orange" module has an extra 1,600 rocket parts in the construction workshop, full kerbals, piloting is unmanned. Jeb, Bob, Bill, Valentina will not be here to see this space station unfold before Kerbalkind's eyes. They where the hope and heroes of the story, sacrificing themselves for a great step forward to all of Kerbalkind. The only survivor was Bill, he is stranded In a retrograde orbit around the Mun, forever stuck with no fuel hoping someone will rescue him. Which is where This space station comes in. The next big mission is a surprise, but Bill will be a hero once more for the mission, he will do it for the other three. Wilrina, Derfieild, Annie. The died in the "Red" module. The "Red" module was put into its orbit as a piece of debris until "Blue" came. The three where stranded with no heat shield, and a broken procedural fairing that cant decouple. unable to follow the original plan of docking to the hub on the side, they tried to deorbit instead, no heatsheild, because it was planed to stay in orbit, they got to 17km and then burned out, we lost their signal... they are the three other heroes, once again sacrificing themselves for Kerbalkind.(though they could waited for a rescue, I didn't think of that until it was to late). Jeb, Bob, Bill, Valentina, Wilrina, Derfieild, Annie, these are the 7 heroes, one remains to be a hero once more for the mission that will once again change Kerbalkind! next launch is manned, but unmanned pilot, this is the first manned mission since "Red" It will be dangerous, but it has to happen. 15 Kerbals will be sent into space in "Orange".

Meanwhile in an alternate universe(a different window open for almost the whole day)

Sigwig and Nepha a enjoying their stroll in the Kerbol system with no fuel limits and going at half the speed of light(4 times speed, whole day, engines running) it is 12 hrs. into the launch. The End. Light Speed is the goal.

Back in the normal universe

Launch: "Orange" was ready to launch, the 15 Kerbals grew more and more impatient, when suddenly they felt a large push and heard an explosion, the rocket started going up, the rocket, despite its size and lack of Monoprop for all stages, was really controllable, the orbit went perfect, an orbit just above the KSSACB, but, it wasn't named that, so I quickly changed the name, Then, I was adding some more screenshots to the imgur post(link below) when the game crashed, I am heavily modded, I think, with over 50 mods, plus one of my own(in early development) planet packs. So I had to restart the game. I get bored easily, unless it has the slightest bit to do with space or physics(never gotten bored of those). The loading screen is like the worst thing for me with all my mods, so I decided to type this, not even done yet, so I got a drink. brb. Ended up eating dinner, game loaded. I jumped to "Orange" and waited for the best time to rendezvous, put a maneuver, did the maneuver, waited. I got with 2km and I started blasting the 2.5m rocket towards the KSSACB. I took a while again for the docking ports to connect, but they did. the station looks very neon pink than any other color(note to self: make lights less bright). Okay, next is "Green" Launchpad. It is gonna be a manned pilot mission this time, we need pilots to do the mission. The Plan so far: Launch "Green" and dock to KSSACB. Rescue Bill. Build Mission Rocket. Special Mission. comms and a telescope can be added later. I found that Kerbin is easier to dock then at the Mun. Launch was normal, but the engineers realized they added no monocrop thruster blocks, so they went and fixed that. The KSSACB was at the right time, the time was morning, the KSSACB was a little behind the KSC this will be easy docking. Then I forgot a docking port... it was going to be easy to dock without a docking port(not easy at all). Sooo almost to orbit, reverted, put a port on. I also added some SRBs. I got into orbit at 125km and ended up missing the easy chance to dock with KSSACB, I did find easy ways to rendezvous so its not that bad. I wait as it goes ahead of me and soon is behind of me so I can do the rendezvous. It takes along time at such close altitudes. "Green" is the last mission that is required for the Special Mission and for the rescue of Bill. The mission will be hard to do, never before done, by anyone who ever played KSP. "Green" had to dock from its side, which ive never done, so I had to do it weirdly it took longer than it should've to dock because, again, never done this before. The ships docked. I need to rename it then it will be ready for the special mission.

YEAH! Mission Pictures: http://imgur.com/gallery/MVrMb

Jan 22,17

Mission 6: Save Bill! Success

It didn't save and I don't want to write all that again, so basically, there was already a rescue ship docked, I got into a Kerbin orbit. rendezvous, docked. that's basically it. I do have pictures. http://imgur.com/gallery/kuwv7

Mission 7: Build the Mission Location! Success(tho I cant see how it can fail)

This is just making a Kopernicus planet, it will go to the Seginus Mod and will be released with it. This one is also for testing, I am testing new PQS, VoronoiCraters, VertexSimplexNoiseColor, VertexHeightOffset. I've never used or tried them :D It will be in between Dres and Duna, rotation will be kind of quickly, smaller than normal SOI(50km), bigger than most of my planets radius of up to 100km, this one has 700km, 100km bigger than Kerbin's radius. Green-Blue color. Not that bumpy. That's basically it. Oh, and by highly inclined, its basically in a Polar orbit, 3 degrees off... it also has a ring with a slightly inclined orbit. Okay, I said it was between Dres and Duna, it is actually so elliptic that it ranges from Eve to Jool, but the SemiMajorAxis is truly at 35 million meters.

Mission 8: Construction of the Special Mission Ship

"White" Interplanetary Traveler is the ship I will use. It will be huge, it will require more rocket parts than I have. Still in design phase, I'm still doing M7, just to tweak some stuff, It already looks better than my other planets. Thank god for VoronoiCraters, but it was mainly because my planets where too small. The "White" Interplanetary Traveler while look like those battle ships in movies(or anime). Like the one below from the anime Gurren Lagann

Spoiler

(EDIT: PIC WONT SHOW UP! Just imagine the pic below with legs and arms on the ground in a desert.) Just without the feet and arms... and in space... so more like

Spoiler

Image result for gurren lagann  space battleship YEAH! Just without the face and drills... and I cant find a pic for that, cuz well, I am referencing Gurren Lagann, and its all about robots with faces and drills, :D 

TO DO:

Comms

Special Mission

Edited by Axilourous
Missions 6-8

yep, and the weird part about this is, I have already made 4 planets and 1 moon and 1 unfinished gas giant, and this is my first docking.... textures, pqs, code, everything. :D

Edited by Axilourous

Congrats mate! :D

I still haven't pulled that one off, although I've only been trying since October...  Still one of these days I'll be posting a similar message to yours.  I'm sure it's like most things I've pulled off so far in KSP, once you do it once, it becomes much much easier next time around.

Again well done. 

Edited by The Flying Kerbal
The usual, I can't speel... spell

thanks! and yeah, it usually is easier the second time

right now, Ive launched a third vessel to Mun, it is planned to land on Mun, get ore, and dock with the Space Station

EDIT: I forgot the thing that makes ore into fuel... Bill is stranded.

Edited by Axilourous

Congratulations.  I found my first solo docking the most rewarding thing so far, with my first Mun landing coming a close second even though I achieved that first.

Reaching the point where you are confident that you can rendezvous and dock reasonably consistently is a huge milestone, that opens up a lot of options for mission planning --- and subsequent rescues :cool:

Congratulations on the achievement, that one really counts. Once you can dock, only imagination and CPU limit the size of the ships you can send off to distant planets.

I remember frantic maneuvering for half an hour getting the actual docking done the first time, sweat forming on my back, answering "mhmm" to every question I was asked. Later I installed Docking Port Alignment Indicator, simply because I felt it was the one part of the game that always was a huge hazzle.

First docking doesn't count that much.

It's demonstrating that you can do it repeatedly and reliably that makes docking worthwhile.

(But that first docking is a good first step.  Congrats!)

Edited by razark

Thanks guys!

the rendezvous was easier to me, but yeah I'm still happy that I docked two ships! The hard part is now that I need to land in the almost same spot that Bill is stranded at, dock to the ship, and turn its ore into fuel for both ships to dock to the Mun Space Station(MSS, lel).

10 minutes ago, StupidAndy said:

EVERYONE CAN DOCK BUT ME!!! WAH!!!!

I build good, but I fly bad :(

great job!

Don't worry, you will get it sometime! I learned from a tutorial that you should target the vessel, place a maneuver node and get one of the intercept points or whatever down to less than 1 km, when you finish that, wait until you are less than 1 km away from each other and kill your relative velocity(will show up in the speed gauge as the target indicator) then push yourself toward the craft with a velocity of 10m/s. when you get close you will want to dock at less than 1m/s(I was told lass 0.2m/s but I went faster and it still worked ;D) and if you do all that correctly, you will dock, OH YEAH, and I would suggest doing it in orbit around Mun or Minmus for simplicity(that's why I was at Mun). And yeah I build good, fly bad, so bad in fact that I cant fly a plane without making it face the sky at takeoff like a rocket D: lol. And lastly, thanks, you will get it, I know you will! its easier the second time btw

Edited by Axilourous

This is great. Congrats on your first docking(I'm on my 25th I think) It took me about three months until I did my first one. Used a bit a mechjeb to help, but now, I can do it manually. If anyone wants to know the secret of rendevousing, ask. 

Edited by Alpha 360
"Kouston, we have several problems, but that doesn't matter so we want to continue on with the mission."

Nice job. I really enjoy docking, it's one of my favorite parts of the game. (I don't like launching station module after module UP there, but docking them is fun).

My first docking was between two identical probes. It was kinda weird due to RCS placement, but it worked out. I'd recommend you only have 1 set of RCS thrusters, around the center of mass, or 2 sets equidistant from it. That'll normally work with ships like those, cylindrical and the like. Spaceplane thruster placement is... weird. I've never figured it out.

On 1/16/2017 at 3:14 AM, The Flying Kerbal said:

Congrats mate! :D

I still haven't pulled that one off, although I've only been trying since October...  Still one of these days I'll be posting a similar message to yours.  I'm sure it's like most things I've pulled off so far in KSP, once you do it once, it becomes much much easier next time around.

Again well done. 

Same. I've been trying since October of 2 years ago. :(

50 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Show us.

You seem pretty skeptical, havent updated the pictures yet but here is a description and a few pictures, my favorite planet is Kalu, it was made to be flatter than the pictures though.

Green = Done

Blue = Not Done/Planned

Edited by Axilourous

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:55 AM, razark said:

First docking doesn't count that much.

It's demonstrating that you can do it repeatedly and reliably that makes docking worthwhile.

(But that first docking is a good first step.  Congrats!)

late, but you should see what I have now, its all easy for me now, instead of needing to be within 1km I can be within 3km, docking controls are more natural feeling, rendezvous is the easy part to me, it used to take 5 mins, now takes 1 min. :D

52 minutes ago, Axilourous said:

late, but you should see what I have now, its all easy for me now, instead of needing to be within 1km I can be within 3km, docking controls are more natural feeling, rendezvous is the easy part to me, it used to take 5 mins, now takes 1 min. :D

Awesome.

I found my first rendezvous/docking to be extremely easy.  The second time I tried it, I realized I had gotten lucky and I really didn't have a clue what I was doing.  After a few more attempts, docking became a natural thing.

(Now I use the Docking Port Alignment Indicator, and it's nothing at all to dock large ships.)

Just now, razark said:

Awesome.

I found my first rendezvous/docking to be extremely easy.  The second time I tried it, I realized I had gotten lucky and I really didn't have a clue what I was doing.  After a few more attempts, docking became a natural thing.

(Now I use the Docking Port Alignment Indicator, and it's nothing at all to dock large ships.)

yeah, large ships are easy, but definitely harder than small ones

and as for Docking Port Alignment Indicator, what does it do? If it adds a docking camera I have that but only use it for large ships

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.