A.R.E.S. Program (reloaded)

StarStreak2109

Author's note: KSP is hard. And sometimes frustrating, which is why I did not continue my previous series, when a combination of mod errors, faulty installation and pure dumbness on my part led to the desintegration of my 1.1.3 install. A couple of updates later, I am at it again.

F2n8w8E.jpg

This is the story of the Kerbals heading out into the stars. After a short but desastrous conflict with the other major faction on Kerbin, the Eastern Coalition, Kerbin lay crippled. Not so much because of the war. There, few shots had been fired. It was more a cold war (or Kold War, as some Kerbals love to say...), which briefly flared up. In a tense moment, a couple of EC KR-7 nuclear missiles were launched from a launch site in the badlands. Frantic talks over the Green Wire (an emergency link between the United Kerbal States and the EC) lead to a last second abort. The two KR7s exploded above the atmosphere, knocking out dozens, if not hundreds of satellites with an EMP.

This incident was later dubbed "Kold Stop", since it essentially ended the Kold War and stopped the economy of Kerbin basically in its tracks. Most satellite applications incl. communications were down. The already strained EC economy collapsed. In the UKS, all hell broke loose. Terrified Kerbals called from the most absurd locations, because they couldn't find their way home w/o satellite navigation. In the town of Kologne, a mass histeria amongst teenage Kerbals caused by a lack of social media. In short, it was chaos. And a seemingly insignificant branch of science and industry, space exploration went out of the window. For ten years no rocket left Kerbin, while the UKS and the EC slowly recuperated. A commonwealth was founded, since it seemed irresponsible of continuing rivalry. The nuclear horror must be eliminated. A joint government should see to that.

Until one day, later called "Kold Start". An abandoned radio telemetry station on Nye Island, now operated by enthusiasts, picked up a strange signal. Triangulation put the signal in the vicinity of Sarnus, far out in the Kerbin system. It was modulated, which excluded natural signals. What was there? The signal was constant, somewhere in the Sarnus system. Had an alien entity arrived in the Kerbin system? Was there an emergent intelligence out there? There was no way to find out from Kerbin.

To find out what was going on out there, a new space agency was founded, bringing together the best of all of Kerbin. The new agency should "kold start" the Kerbal space industry, enabling deep space exploration. It was called A.R.E.S., short for Advanced Research, Exploration & Science Program. Operating from a new base, ARES should use existing launchers at first, left over from the previous space era, developing new space craft to head out to Sarnus eventually. The use of existing launch vehicles enabled ARES to quickly reestablish sat comm over Kerbin, the Mun and Minmus.

One of the other first missions was to set up a new space station above Kerbin, which would allow zero-G research to develop the tech for the new space ships.

Let us follow the installation of the second module of the new KSS:

E2ITz2N.png

The Sarnus Multibody M42 stands ready on the pad. Equipped with a wide body fairing and four 7-segment SRBs, it is the ideal work horse to launch space station modules into orbit.

H5Ot3al.png

Liftoff!

yx8QYRZ.png

Max Q...

QEMiumn.png

At roughly 40,000 m altitude, the SRBs are jettisoned. The fairings go a bit later.

8APVjW3.png

Here we see S1 sep and the payload. Attached to the habitation module is an AARD space tug, which will manouver the module into place. After that it will stay in space, pick up new modules from the lifters as they arrive and put them into the appropriate berths on the station.

obaLMyF.png

Mission successful, the tug has berthed the 1st habitation module to the station core. Jeb, Bill, Scott and Sean Kerman are happy to stretch their legs for the first time and try out those new bunks!

That's it for today, let's have a look at another mission the next time!

On 17.1.2017 at 7:11 AM, Mattgearhead said:

Fantastic! What version of BDB do you have? I can't find the mission module for Apollo in my parts list.

Thanks. As mentioned above, I peek into @CobaltWolf's github every now and then and download the master file to get all the newest toys!

On 18.1.2017 at 9:09 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Very cool! Any idea what the final station design will look like? Or will we have to wait? :)

Thank you! I have a pretty good idea and soon it'll be completed. :wink:

On 19.1.2017 at 7:03 AM, Mattgearhead said:

I can't wait to see more of these things in action.

Well, then, I shan't let you wait much longer... :)

F2n8w8E.jpg

Crew Change & Docking Adapter Installation

The first crew of Jeb, Bill, Sean and Scott Kerman did the initial commissioning of the KSS. Being a prototype and technology testbed, there were many small issues to be worked out. After about a month in space, the crew was pretty exhausted and had to be releaved.

6PEHku7.png

Kane II taking of from KSC

yifMk0f.png

Separation of the SRBs

93bH7ax.png

Heading towards dawn, the crew of Kane II gets ready to jettison the LES

uIcKobC.png

Having reached orbit, the capsule has just detached from the Sarnus SIV upper stage and retrieves its mission module

M4NRMlV.png

Arriving at the KSS

rH4lTyr.png

Kane I unberths and begins its trip back

AjnlRqk.png

Plunging through the atmosphere, we get a glimpse at the SM, as it burns up

XPhluDq.png

Standing proud after a successful night landing

One issue propped up with the KSS, which was overlooked during its design. There were not enough docking ports. So a docking adapter was quickly designed which should be permanently docked near the airlock and logistics modules, adding five more berths for visiting ships.

S1B6EO2.png

Here we see the module taking off during a gloomy morning

yg53oWz.png

Breaking through the clouds

Qu0cxam.png

Circularizing

CcokQgU.png

Parallel parking at 4,000 m/s

wyNmKOW.png

After the SIV has matched speed with the KSS, the orbital tug detaches from the station to pick up the docking adapter

UsgWDTD.png

Lining up

9BPgri9.png

Moving the module into place

oRmgJe5.png

Docked!

That's it for today, my fellow Kerbonauts! Next time, we'll look a bit at operation 'Precursor'. That part of the ARES program is looking at sending probes out to Sarnus and Jool for advanced reconnaissance and to preposition comm relays. These also serve as technology demonstrators for advanced propulsion tech.

Until then, see you next time!

• 3 weeks later...

F2n8w8E.jpg

Solar & Fuel Truss Installation

Most of you have seen endless reports on docking modules together, so I think I spare you with most of the construction of my KSS. It is noteworthy however, that it was decided that the truss structure, which carries the big main solar panels should also double as fuel depot for missions to what will later be called "the proving ground" - a.k.a. the space around Mun and Minmus. That made the truss modules very heavy and calculations showed that even the H03 variant of the Sarnus Multibody was not able to carry the modules to a successful rendezvous. So, for these four launches a behemoth of pre-Kold War was resurrected: The Sarnus V, a three stage monstrosity, which together with the S&F truss would weigh in excess of 700 tonnes at liftoff. Naturally KSS flights 9 thru 12 were attractions all over Kerbin. Even though every Kerbal longed for the future, seeing these old beasts fly again, made everyone feel great!

Here we see flight 12 at prelaunch, during a beautiful sunrise.

15Ldi10.png

3... 2... 1... main engine start... and lift-off! Lift off of the Sarnus V with SFMO2, the final solar and fuel module for the KSS, powering future missions to the stars!

SK2fhpB.png

Soaring into the skies over a sea of gold and blue!

4i2jsyF.png

Explosive bolts spark, retros fire, pulling the first stage away, getting ready for S2 ignition.

FG2R17S.png

Like an arrow aimed at the sun! Fairing sep... Also notable, the modernized SII stage with toroidal aerospike engines.

FuBVLGB.png

Pushing for orbit! In the front we see the orbital tug, which will position and dock the payload and then deorbit along with the final upper stage.

Tjo0Gkn.png

After sucessful rendezvous, the tug pushes the heavy payload into position for docking...

WijV8Qs.png

Almost there! Getting the hang of manual docking with awkward payloads....

Sq5MiBx.png

Op successful! Extending the giant solar panels! (Crew note: change vessel name!)

GbX9ndj.png

There are two more modules to be sent up, then the KSS is finished. But this only means, we will move ahead to new pastures green, mint or gray, as the case (or planet) may be...

See you later, Kerbonauts!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 15.1.2018 at 11:59 PM, Tyko said:

@StarStreak2109 is this story dead or did you move it? I enjoyed getting caught up. Thanks for posting.

Hi, I guess I lost interest, when I didn't have enough time anymore. Got a kid last year, and you know how it is... Also: Way too many hobbies... Might get back to this one way or another, now that 1.4 is on the horizon.

6 hours ago, Jasseji said:

@StarStreak2109 could you perhaps tell where you got those fairings for the M42 from ?

Sure, they are procedural fairings.

Hope this helps! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

After a bit of a KSP hiatus due to real life stuff (bought a house, got a kid, ...) I am back. Unfortunately I lost my previous save, so I cannot directly continue the story. But we have ways...

F2n8w8E.jpg

Launching KerbNet

Since after the "Kold War", most modern communication satellites were disabled, a replacement was needed. So a plan was drawn up to launch three new state of the art Kerbal-stationary communication satellites, code-named "KerbNet". The individual satellites were called Alpha thru Gamma. The venerable Bossard launcher paired with an Inon upper stage was selected as launch vehicle for the mission. Today we follow the launch of the third and finaly KerbNet bird, KerbNet Gamma.

Side Note: The flag used in the following shots is only temporary, I lost the ARES mission flag as well...

tPXsj9F.png

Here we see the Bossard launcher standing by for launch. Every pre-launch check has been run, the vehicle is working no issues at this time.

G7QuJw1.png

27 seconds into the flight, the vehicle has now completed its pitch and roll programs to orient the vehicle for its optimum trajectory.

7XCNLyA.png

20km altitude, mach 2.5... Solid rocket motors push the booster skirt away from the vehicle, leaving the single sustainer engine to push it further up.

TMf5QUs.png

As the vehicle is continuing to gain speed and altitude, the rocket plume is extending.

ulg8Ynl.png

Altitude 50km, speed mach 4.4. MECO, fairing and booster stage separation.

XsLIppM.png

As the moon is coming up over the horizon, it is now up to the Inon's two engines to power the payload along its trajectory to their parking orbit.

Cwi0JiW.png

At the proper moment, the Inon's engines are relit for KTO (Kerbal-stationary transfer orbit) insertion.

g5TxBjj.png

After SECO-2, the payload separates from the Inon, which will shortly begin it's deorbit manouver. After separation, solar panels will extend and inital checks being performed to determine the payload's health status.

5Pv3mLN.png

With Kerbin far below, the KerbNet satellite is circularizing its orbit at 4,880 km (Kerbal-stationary altitude).

The constellation, allowing for complete coverage of operations in LKO, in (cis-) Munar space and even out to Minmus, is now complete. In a second phase, two long-range communication satellites for interplanetary communications will also be launched. Their development is already in progresss and we expect payload integration in the next post.

See you then,

- Sebastian

F2n8w8E.jpg

TDRS network

pIhk6IU.png

For the planned interplanetary missions, a constellation of two TDRS class satellites have been launched into a polar Molniya orbit, that has been set up so that at each given time, a TDRS is high above the plane of the Kerbin system, allowing for uninterupted communication links with Kerbin at all times.

Munar exploration precursor missions

It was most obvious to all the scientists at KSC that sending a manned mission to the outer planets will require the ability to generate resources on site, for sending all the fuel etc. would be overly complicated and expensive. Also since the "Kold Stop", no experience exists in long term Kerbal survival in space. Therefore a number of precursor missions have been developed:

1. Development of unmanned probes to determine resource availability on the Mun and maybe Minmus. These probes would be tested first in Kerbin orbit, before sending missions to the Mun and Minmus.
  2. Usage of the remaining Sarnus V rockets in conjunction with the availabe Kane capsules to regain experience in LKO and munar space travel. These missions will encompass four flights codenamed Exploration Missions 1 thru 4, and will work their way from LKO tests of the hardware via a Munar free return flight to two Munar landings.
  3. Launch of a space station built from existing Sarnus components to research critical mission components and the effects of extended space travel on the Kerbal body.

Eventually, plans will be made to modernize the Sarnus rocket for a more efficient vehicle, enabling LKO, munar and even interplanetary launches at a lower cost.

Here we look at the first of the precursor missions, launching KerbSat-1 into a polar orbit. The mission objective is to test orbital resource scanning and doing a detailed radar altimetry and multispectral scan of Kerbin.

vT67YJY.png

KerbSat-1 is being launched on a trusty Daleth 2000 rocket, which we see here standing tall in the afternoon sun. The sun is already sinking behind the VAB.

C279Ek2.png

Liftoff! Only four of the SRBs are being lit upon takeoff, the remaining two will be lit a few minutes inflight, when the first ones have been burned about half their fuel.

f88WMBm.png

Thundering into the sky!

Y5xgYzh.png

The first boosters have already been dropped, we are coming up on final SRB jettison.

8BxtSq1.png

While soaring into the night sky, after MECO, the main booster stage is being pulled away by retro rockets. The second stage will now boost the satellite to its target apogee.

wTPYFyT.png

xXkSTJF.png

While circling around Kerbin, we witness a beautiful sunrise (except for those hating lens flares... :wink: )...

qoz8MyJ.png

At 625 km altitude, the satellite's own thruster is circularizing the orbit.

1Al0bTm.png

5S699gj.png

All instruments deployed. The satellite has been confirmed working fine and has now begun its main mission.

---

So, that's it for today. Have a good one!

-Sebastian

F2n8w8E.jpg

Political Update

Since the formation of A.R.E.S., most launches were carried out by UKS launch vehicles. As all A.R.E.S. member states are pouring money into the endeavour, the other nations have demanded a more active role. Especially the Eastern Coalition (EC) were very keen on joining in on the development of the space based systems. Those should of course be launched on EC launch vehicles. The UKS were hesitant at first, since the EC rockets had a somewhat mixed record. But they were rugged and cheap, so the decision was made to use a Proton-M rocket for the next launch.

High-Resolution Altimetry Scanning Satellite (HiRASS)

HiRASS was by far the largest satellite launched as part of the A.R.E.S. campaign. Weighing in on almost 4 tonnes, the satellite carried a CA-H2RS High Resolution Radar System, designed to generate high resolution altimetry maps including information on slope angles and direction. The data would be used to determine optimum landing sites for future ground exploration. Secondary instruments include a magnetometer, a spectrometer, a plasma-wave instrument as well as an orbital telescope.

Here we have KerbSat-2, standing by on the launch pad at KSC in the early morning (lens flare time).

Yd8A8EW.png

The sun is casting the rocket's shadow on the wall of the VAB.

HPNU8zZ.png

Take-off...

JCtgEoS.png

The sun is casting its yellow rays through the misty morning clouds...

w5dvJBw.png

AwIASFf.png

Stage separation...

R7D51OS.png

The second stage is powering along the day-night-terminator...

CJKLVSz.png

peK0Woa.png

After reaching the target altitude of 1,875 km, the second stage, whose periapsis is still deep in the atmosphere detaches, avoiding space debris.

5FBVC7W.png

WIth the entire Kerbin visible below, the satellite is circularizing still above the terminator...

o6oc5CZ.png

Solar panels unfold, and the instruments are being deployed. The mission can begin...

NsRo6zt.png

A bit hard to see in the dark of space, but the satellite looks an aweful lot like a bug...

WFPAmgw.png

Best regards,

Sebastian

F2n8w8E.jpg

Exploration Mission 1

Today, we are looking at yet another precursor mission. In order to build up the interplanetary mission, certain key technologies would have to be (re-) developed. In order to efficiently fuel an interplanetary mission, fuel would have to be gathered and refined off-world, where there is less of a dV-penalty. Fuel would also have to be generated for the return journey from Sarnus, so getting proficient there will be off the utmost priority. Also the A.R.E.S. directorate as well as the International Oversight Advisory (I.O.A.), who are managing the funding for the A.R.E.S. program, have decided that building an international orbital research facility will be required to research ECLSS systems, effects of long-term zero-g exposure on the Kerbal body as well as certain on-orbit construction technologies.

For all this, a versatile capsule was required. The EC could provide their venerable Tantares capsule, which unfortunately only has limited applications for LKO. The UKS had an equally aged design with their Kane capsule, which was designed before the Kold Stop for Munar missions. It was heavy and outdated, having very limited computer capabilites.

The report by senior engineer Bill Kerman was somewhat desillusioning: The development of a new capsule would take a protracted period of time, severely hurting the aggressive timeline of the A.R.E.S. Program. The A.R.E.S. directorate had Bill start the development activities anyway, settling for an intermediate solution by planning an upgrade program for the Kane capsule and its launch vehicle, the giant Sarnus V.

As there were four Sarnus V cores in storage, left over from the ambitious Mun exploration program from before the Kold Stop, it was decided to run up to four missions to the Mun respectively Munar space to test out the Kane's capabilities along with its companion ship, the Munar Lander 'Sina'.

Exploration Mission 1 (EM-1) was to launch a Kane capsule out to Munar orbit altitude to test the vehicle in Munar space and its characteristics upon reentry at Munar return speeds. EM-2 would then tag along a Sina flight test article to circularize in Munar orbit, then return to Kerbin. EM-3 would land two Kerbonauts on the Mun, precisely in the Farside Crater, where the MunSat campaign has revealed rich Karbonite resources. EM-4 would return and place additional science instrumentation at a potential future base location.

Today we follow Exploration Mission 1.

EDwsBiw.png

EM-1 blasted of the launch pad at KSC on time and blasted into skies under the power of its five main engines.

LToIwVD.png

As seen through the tracking cameras from KSC, the exhaust plume of EM-1 was almost brighter than the Sun.

i0yXgmK.png

After a few minutes, the first stage was empty. Powerful retro-rockets pulled it away from the remaining stack.

JptH6va.png

The five engines of the second stage have ignited, pushing the mission ahead. Now drops the interstage fairing and soon thereafter the launch escape system.

9BYi35U.png

Now the crew get their first view of space.

8P0IUGi.png

tBIpd2m.png

After the second stage has done its job, it is also jettisonded, leaving the third stage for orbit completion and trans-Munar injection...

zwBX0XL.png

With the sun setting behind, the ullage motors are firing to send the craft to the Mun...

d5wWYip.png

After the burn has been completed, the Kane vehicle separates from the third stage. The space, where normally the Sina lander would sit is empty.

d3cJxwK.png

The ship now coasts to apogee, roughly at the same altitude of the Mun, though not "hitting" it. There a small adjustment burn was made to lower the perigee into Kerbin's atmosphere. Here we have a beauty-shot, with the Mun and Kerbin both visible.

LCMbrHL.png

Unfortunately, reentry occured at night time, so we are left with a shot from inside the capsule, seeing the reentry flames out of the front window.

8tXimgB.png

EM-1 returned successfully, proving that the Kane system generally is a viable vehicle for LKO, cis-Munar space and the Mun itself.

With this,  I conclude this report. Until next time,

-Sebastian

F2n8w8E.jpg

Exploration Missions 3 and 4

With the first two Sarnus V missions completed successfully, EM-3 changed the pace. Now it was to check out the Sina lander, which had been developed and used during the Space Race at the height of the 'Kold War'. There were three Sinas availabe yet. One was used during EM-2, mostly to check out systems and the docking between the main space craft and the landing craft as well as how the two vehicles operated together. This was crucial since the technology dated back before the 'Kold Stop'. The goal of these missions was to to determine viability of the basic ship design and come up with improvements.

With EM-3, the joint team at KSC came to the meat of this suite of missions - landing on Mun. MunSat 1 and 2 already had determined a good landing site for ISRU trials - the Farside Crater, which had ample Karbonite resources, which would later be used for ISRU fuel generation. The mission followed the standard process. A Sarnus V launched the Kane capsule accompanied by a Sina lander to the moon, where it would enter into a tight 30km orbit. The pilots for this mission where space program veteran Jebediah Kerman, accompanied by co-pilot Buzz Kerman and flight engineer Sharon Kerman.

Here we see the Kane extracting the Sina MEM (Mun Excursion Module) from the Sarnus IVB upper stage after completed trans-Munar injection.

oJ5hEuG.png

Before arriving at Mun, a course correction was carried out.

RM1YH36.png

After circularization, Jebediah and Sharon Kerman transferred into the MEM and separated from the capsule, where Buzz would be circling Mun during the ground excursion.

After a small course correction and initial deceleration burn, the lander was set for a landing at the predetermined site at the Farside Crater.

HCrcLWX.png

Even though landing a space craft on a foreign planetary body is an intense moment, Jeb was able to snap this photograph of Sharon while monitoring the descent to the surface. It later become a cover image for a whole host of magazines back on Kerbin.

GbyNhMD.png

While the space craft angled down to the surface, Kerbin rose above Muns horizon as a blue and green marble.

4rqXdT5.png

Landing occured on schedule on the dark grey powdery surface of the Farside Crater. During the descent, the Sina's computer threw a couple of errors, resulting in some of the gauges showing incorrect values. Later analysis of the onboard computer logs would show some of the command and control systems spamming exceptions into the log files. However it was not something that would hinder Jebediah from a successful landing.

17sojKI.png

After landing, the usual flag planting ceremony had to be carried out. (KSP shat itself upon flag planting, so I do not have a screenshot of that...) Here we see the two crew gazing at the stark landscape around them.

M2APWeR.png

The first trip to the surface was a short one, mostly to test out systems and take not of any irregularities. After a while, the MEM's ascent module was piloted by Jebediah to a rendezvous with the Kane CSM.

q3bm3wi.png

After successful rendezvous, the lander crew moved back into the CSM, which was thereafter jettisoned.

SLn3IIK.png

At the appropriate moment, the CSM's main engine was fired for the return to Kerbin.

nFMsz2E.png

The trip back was uneventful. With only 15 minutes remaining before reentry and Kerbin already filling out the entire viewports of the CSM, it was time to say goodbye to the service module.

Syusb3u.png

It was another night landing, so for reasons of image quality, we do not have any images of the landing.

With EM-3 being a success, the team at KSC moved their attention to EM-4, which was to launch shortly after EM-3. While the prior mission was mainly an engineering trial, the last of the Sarnus V / Kane / Sina missions to Mun was to be a science sortie. This time, some measurement devices were to be placed on Mun's surface as a preparation for later missions.

Mission-wise, EM-4 was a clone of the EM-3 mission. It was to land at the same landing site. This was also to try out a program for the Sina landing guidance computer, which Bill Kerman had written in preparation for later base landings.

The mission also was near-perfect. Here we see program rookies Kranz and Liz Kerman touching down near EM-3's descent module.

MHxHNgV.png

After landing, Kranz Kerman went EVA to set up the science equipment.

VsTTBN8.png

Wt6LFBA.png

(Dumbass that I am, I forgot to take those connection thingies with me, so I couldn't hook them up properly. But since I am playing sandbox, I'll just roleplay that they are working...)

After the completion of the mission, the team met up with the CSM again, for the trip home.

a5uzb2h.png

This time, the crew had some daylight, so we have a beautiful shot of the capsule plunging through the atmosphere, with the breaking up service module in the distance.

pdlBvxl.png

This concludes the "Exploration Mission" series, and thus the trial of the existing Sarnus V architecture. At a big post mission debriefing, it was discussed how to go ahead from this point. The results of this meeting will be presented in my next post about the A.R.E.S. program.

So long,

- Sebastian

F2n8w8E.jpg

The Sarnus V Files

After the conclusion of Exploration Missions 1 thru 4, the A.R.E.S. Mission Directorate gave the Sarnus V, Kane and Sina architecture a mixed review. The Kane capsule proved to be a rugged and versatile design. There were some issues with weight and its computer systems, but overall, the engineers were confident that with some modifications, the capsule could be optimized for further use. The Sina lander however did not receive such blessings. Its computer systems were old, and the space it provided was too small, to be of value for future missions. Its use in EM 3 and 4 has told the engineers some valuable lessons for landing on other planetary bodies, lessons that no doubt would be incorporated into new ships.

The Sarnus V rocket also received somewhat mixed blessings. Its capability to put a heavy payload onto a Munar trajectory was unsurpassed and there was no spacecraft right now available that had similar capabilities. The team from the Eastern Coalition claimed to have a launch vehicle in development, which could put similar amounts into orbit, but it was lacking its booster engines yet, so it was of dubious use. The Sarnus V however was too expensive, difficult and tedious to build and integrate and wouldn't be able to meet the launch cadence requirements to push the project ahead as scheduled. In short, an alternative was required. The solution, the engineers claimed, was simple. The existing Sarnus IB launch vehicle, the Sarnus V's smaller brother, would be seriously upgraded to form a more flexible and advanced launch vehicle for short term availability. In the long run, a next generation launch vehicle would be designed to help in the construction of the interplanetary craft needed for the planned expedition to Sarnus.

The Orbital Workshop

In order to develop the necessary technologies for interplanetary travel, ISRU resources utilization and to meet all the challenges connected hereto, orbital research was required. While the need was recognized by all parties, the way to go was disputed among the A.R.E.S. participants. Matters were complicated by a new member party, having recently joined, the Ekurian Federation (EF). Not having been faction during the Kold War, but having sided with the UKS, they were technologically advance, bringing their own launch vehicles to the table. While the EC pushed for a larger portion of the project funding to build a space station, the UKS wanted to use existing hardware to come up with a short term solution. The Ekurians were fond of neither solution, clamouring for a joint space station to which all interest parties could contribute. After a long and hefty debate, which caused some Kerbals to walk out of the meeting, it was decided that the UKS shall launch an orbital workshop built from some of the remaining Sarnus V parts available in the pre-Kold Stop stockpile. This flight was to be the last flight of a Sarnus V. As a concession, in a second flight, using one of the first upgraded Sarnus IC's, an international research module was to be added to the OWS. Orbital logistics would also be carried out by UKS space craft and launchers. This solution was not ideal from an EC perspective, but their launch vehicle shortage did not make for a strong argument. A joint engineering group was however formed to investigate the installation of UKS docking ports on EC space craft to enable servicing the OWS by the EC.

Let's follow the last flight of the Sarnus V.

Early morning, the rocket is standing by on the launch pad. As can be seen, the third stage, which is not needed for LKO, has been replaced by the OWS.

C83iwyO.png

MECO, while soaring high above the clouds...

NPm6x7r.png

WIth fairing jettisoned, the second stage inserts the OWS into it's 400km orbit above Kerbin...

huZ9F27.png

After the OWS separated from its rocket, the main solar panels unfolded and the solar science laboratory translated to its intended docking port, where additional solar panels unfolded.

JeL7fdL.png

A few days later, a new Sarnus SIE launched an engineering crew up to activate the station, to install all the necessary equipment and check out systems.

PGSxboB.png

The rocket carried the newly overhauled Kane capsule. With its fuel cells removed, which have been replaced by batteries and a new engine, the capsule is now lighter. Also, being used for LKO missions only, it now carries five Kerbonauts. To provide additional space, a mission module was added, which travels along in the cargo bay of the Sarnus rocket.

Here we see the Kane uncoupling from the upper stage to retrieve the mission module.

h71d7K6.png

The pilot, Jebediah Kerman, expertly manouvered the capsule towards a perfect docking with the station.

0Kux4r3.png

For the next weeks, the OWS will be home away from home for this first crew of five...

Oef7A8m.png

After a couple of week, with the basic mission capability of the station confirmed, yet another SIE brought up the international lab, which was remotely guided to docking by the OWS crew.

Zy3ZUaS.png

p52WJi9.png

With this construction project completed, it was time for the first scientific crew to move into their skybound lab.

To Sarnus

The ultimate goal of A.R.E.S. was to send a manned expedition to Sarnus, the distant big brother to Jool, where that mysterious signal originated from. As a low energy transfer window only opens every few years, it was clear that the next opportunity, which was up during the next few weeks would of course not be feasible, since so many technologies were still under development. However, something could be done. A joint proposal by the Ekurians and the EC delegation was made: Send an unmanned probe to Sarnus, in advance of the main mission. The EC would provide the power generation system for the probe, while the main bus and its sensors would be provided by the Ekurians.

Whats going on with the probe will be subject of the next post.

Best,

- Sebastian

F2n8w8E.jpg

Author's Note

I am currently planning the update to KSP 1.4.2. This is however only happening once all the mods on my modlist have been updated to run on 1.4.2. as well, so as to not break the save. Having said that, I may come to a point in the near future, where adding to the story may become impractical and I'll halt this story until the update is complete. Adding to that is that my KSP install is becoming a bit glitchy (have to investigate there), so I hope it holds out until the last few mods have been updated.

The Sarnus Rocket Family

As reported in the previous posts, the UKS engineers were busy upgrading the Sarnus I Rocket. The IE configuration was to be used for LKO crewed missions with the Kane capsule. There was a further upgrade in the pipeline that would be used for on orbit construction and unmanned launches (e.g. for probes). These were called also referred to as Sarnus Multibody or Sarnus IF. By adding either two or four SRBs in the M02 or M04 variant, respectively, or two LRBs in the M02 variant, the Multibody configuration could be adapted to various mission requirements. They all shared the benefit of being available within a reasonably short time, as no new tooling would be required.

Eastern Coalition Launch Vehicles

The team from the Eastern Coalition also were finally getting their rocket production facilities up and running. For the next launches, they undertook to provide launch capabilities for Kerbin system probes as well as crewed and uncrewed launches to the OWS.

The Sarnus Project

As pointed out in the last post, the new members of the A.R.E.S. program, the Ekurians had floated the idea of sending an unmanned probe to Sarnus, ahead of the planned manned mission that was so eagerly prepared by the Kerbals at the KSC. They were supported by the EC delegation, who were eager to provide the power systems for the probe. After the project was approved by the directorate, the Kerbals immediately went to work. As was usually, the probe was to be constructed from existing parts, so as to speed up its development.

The probe was fairly compact, yet heavy. It was propelled by an ION engine, which got its power from a nuclear reactor, which would ensure functionality so far away from the sun. Solar panels augmented power production for the coast phase, when the reactor was power down. The satellite bus carried instruments for planetary survey activities, so as to check out any the rocky bodies in the Sarnus system, should the need arise to land, once the manned expedition arrived.

rMG0baM.png

Sending the probe to Sarnus would require a capable launch vehicle to loft it onto its interplanetary trajectory. As the first cores for the new Multibody variant of the Sarnus rocket came of the assembly lines, it was decided to launch the probe on the Sarnus Multibody Heavy (H03) variant. Albeit somewhat overkill, the whole stack had about 3,000 m/s more dV than needed, the engineers welcomed a chance to test out the new rocket.

As pointed out above, the first stage of the H03 consisted of three Multibody cores. The second stage was a stretched SIVC with two Dnoces engines. In order to get the probe onto its interplanetary trajectory, a stretched Inon upper stage was used, as seen in the diagram above.

The next picture shows the whole stack with all stages:

PvQzGab.png

The launch was prepared as usual, and one morning, the big rocket was rolled out to the launch pad.

m70RUb9.png

Amazingly, even though everything was prepared so hastily to be able to exploit the launch pad, the launch went smoothly.

Eg5kTCO.png

JogehkO.png

After the second stage had transported the probe along with the Inon upper stage to a parking orbit, it was time to push on to Sarnus. At the command of Mission Control, the Inon lit its two engines lofting the probe out of the Kerbal system.

z1R7MFk.png

Dr9Mmi5.png

After the four minute burn was complete, the ion engine was lit for a brief period to finetune the intercept with Sarnus. Then the probe turned its comm dish back at Kerbin and began the long drift towards its target.

QfPdDxE.png

NqigrzQ.png

Right before it left the Kerbin SOI, the home of the Kerbals had already shrunk to a small blue dot in the blackness of the sky...

QgtrxDP.png

Regards,

- Sebastian

3 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

I am currently planning the update to KSP 1.4.2. This is however only happening once all the mods on my modlist have been updated to run on 1.4.2. as well, so as to not break the save. Having said that, I may come to a point in the near future, where adding to the story may become impractical and I'll halt this story until the update is complete. Adding to that is that my KSP install is becoming a bit glitchy (have to investigate there), so I hope it holds out until the last few mods have been updated.

Take your time... all the readers here are very cool, and understand the deal when it comes to updates. If you need to wait on mods, no-one will say anything, we all know the routine. The most important thing is to make sure and back everything up first, just in case. :wink:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.