Moon base constantly slides

Wikkyd

My moon bases constantly slide, sometimes resulting in random explosions. I guess as it slides, there is stress on the landing legs eventually reaching a breaking point.

Anyone know of a fix to stop the sliding? I have recently tried the Kerbal Attachment System and used harpoons and anchors stuck to the ground. Still slides and apparently pulls the harpoons out of the ground.

So so frustrating. Put all that time into base building and this seems to break the game.

Depending of what you used, sometime you can click the brake toggle button at the top of the screen (the exclamation mark near the altimeter). Try it out, cost nothing :)

That thing stabilized few thins for me...

Edited by Frag2000

@Wikkyd it'd be a big mod to add just for this function but USI-MKS has a ground anchor mode for bases that would stop this completely including any jumps on physics load. Maybe you could strip out the parts and just add the module into some of the parts you use on your base instead of installing the whole lot.

You could try using the claw to attach to the ground although it shouldn't be sliding if you are not on a slope.

You could try mess with the landing leg settings. 

A picture would help. Maybe you just need to put some more legs on the right place.

16 minutes ago, worir4 said:

You could try using the claw to attach to the ground although it shouldn't be sliding if you are not on a slope.

Last time I checked you cant claw to a planet. Might have changed in the meantime though.

8 hours ago, Wikkyd said:

Windows x64 version 1.2.2.1622

Older versions had a very pronounced slide across planet surfaces, but its been fixed.   Did you update your game to 1.2.2, or is it a fresh install?

17 hours ago, Wikkyd said:

My moon bases constantly slide, sometimes resulting in random explosions. I guess as it slides, there is stress on the landing legs eventually reaching a breaking point.

Anyone know of a fix to stop the sliding? I have recently tried the Kerbal Attachment System and used harpoons and anchors stuck to the ground. Still slides and apparently pulls the harpoons out of the ground.

So so frustrating. Put all that time into base building and this seems to break the game.

KAS KIS has a ground anchor. Be sure to use more than one to support larger bases. 

I've actually experienced this on Kerbin as well with craft "migrating" around slowly - no explosions there though.  (I find mun bases rather explody in the game now in general)  Try it, park two craft close to each other next to your runway and then physics accelerate for a while.  You'll see that they will move relative to each other...  It's not a solution but I'm sure the devs should be made aware of the issue.

Jett

Edited by Jett_Quasar

57 minutes ago, Jett_Quasar said:

Try it, park two craft close to each other next to your runway and then physics accelerate for a while.  You'll see that they will move relative to each other...

I just put 2 Jumping Flea's next to each other, and advanced time for 26 days with both regular and physics warp.  The ships didn't move even 0.1m.

http://imgur.com/a/tgnhR

Edit:  Just tried with 2 rovers off the runway at 2.9m distance.  Same results, zero slide.

OP, screenshot of the craft please.

Leafbaron, what wheels were you using?  Screenshot?

Edited by klesh

I'm seeing something similar on Ike - I have a mining/refining operation there to support Duna missions and fairly repeatably, I can get my lander to vibrate itself right through the surface, after which it will be miraculously be teleported about 18km above the surface. I've had it happen several times now in 1.2.2. Don't know if it's because of my mods (I'm running Stock Visual Terrain and the lander has Porkjet's AtomicAge engines and radiators) or if it's part of the ground/surface weirdness that has plagued Unity since forever. *shrug*

1 hour ago, klesh said:

I just put 2 Jumping Flea's next to each other, and advanced time for 26 days with both regular and physics warp.  The ships didn't move even 0.1m.

http://imgur.com/a/tgnhR

Edit:  Just tried with 2 rovers off the runway at 2.9m distance.  Same results, zero slide.

OP, screenshot of the craft please.

Leafbaron, what wheels were you using?  Screenshot?

ruggedized vehicular wheels. i can check to see if i have one. at the time i was only thinking about taking one when my velocity read 0.0 so i could stop the clock haha

In KSP everything slides.  In KSP the ground is not ground, it is ice.  Generally, this is very annoying for everyone, myself included.  However, I have done a Mun base, it is rather large, on a relatively flat surface, and doesn't slide an inch. 

I'm not sure why entirely, but I believe the fact that all the modules of the station are using wheels is the main helper, as they have brakes.  Now, assuming you don't have landing gear or wheels on your base, I'd recommend sending up 2 or 3 modules with some wheels on it, setting the brakes to their highest setting in the context menus, and then deploy the brakes to see if it helps. 

I'm not sure this will help, it may not, but it works well enough for my base.  If your base is on a slope, or hill, that may as well be the issue. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.